inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: History Channel

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/03/08 at 11:37 pm

Anyone into watching "Dogfights"?
I love the animations used on the show.
Now they have a new one called Battle 360 starting up soon.

Subject: Re: History Channel

Written By: Davester on 09/04/08 at 12:53 am

Yeah, I watched a Battle 360 on WWII (or something like it).  Was kewl!  So much so, I'm thinking of getting it on DVD...

They have/had an excellent Sagan-ish series called "Universe" worth checking out.  Had me riveted all night...

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/04/08 at 7:50 am

nope gang stuff doen't really perk any interest.....(far as I'm concerned if their so tough the courts should order them into front line military sevice.......Hey Guess whos on Point duty!!!)

The show of Dogfights I like to watch was about the USS Johnson
It took on a Japanese destroyer 10 times her size & chopped its beak off with a torpedo strick!

History channel here in Canada ran the "Battle for Kursk" a few weeks back......
The worlds biggest tank battle......in 12 hrs over 700 tanks burning!
The Russians took on 2/3 rds of the German army & crushed them!
But because of cold war polotics these facts are not widley known!
In the battle for Stalingrad the captured german soilders (over 110,000) were put to the task of rebuilding Russia.....In the end a little over 5,000 returned home alive!
Hard to expect mercy from an enemy when you slaughter every live body on the conquest to take over their land!
Russia was the real deal...."REAP WHAT YOU SEW!"
Too bad mankind seems to forget what if any lessons can be learned from a war!
No one dies for any just causes anymore..........Just pawns in a political game!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/04/08 at 11:18 pm

History did a great program last winter: "Life After People." 

I'm into Monster Quest and some of the UFO stuff.  And I enjoy the persistent "how it might end" programs.

"History" on the History channel is pretty shallow and cursory.  They often give a comic book level of treatment of subjects.

Written By: whistledog on 09/04/08 at 11:58 pm

Sometimes when I turn to the history channel, they show movies like 'The Futugive'.  How is that History?

When they do war documentaries, and stuff like that, I will sometimes watch

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/08 at 12:01 am

Sometimes when I turn to the history channel, they show movies like 'The Futugive'.  How is that History?

When they do war documentaries, and stuff like that, I will sometimes watch

Good Morning Vietnam?
Forrest Gump?
:D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/05/08 at 1:45 am

I love the shows they have about ancient Rome.

Sure it's more or less the Cliff's Notes version, but I find it utterly fascinating.

My only regret is that I didn't know any of this stuff 15 years ago, when I was stationed in Germany and had the opportunity to travel Europe and see all of this stuff firsthand.

Maybe someday.  :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 09/05/08 at 1:52 am

Good Morning Vietnam?
Forrest Gump?
:D

Those I can see being aired on History LOL

The other night they had on 'The Jackal' w/ Bruce Willis and Richard Gere.  The only way that relates to history is that it's based on 'The Day of the Jackal', a novel written in 1971.  So basically anything old is history now?

YAY!  I'm Historic! :D

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/05/08 at 5:29 am

Those I can see being aired on History LOL

The other night they had on 'The Jackal' w/ Bruce Willis and Richard Gere.  The only way that relates to history is that it's based on 'The Day of the Jackal', a novel written in 1971.  So basically anything old is history now?

The History Channel has gone so far off course, I am surprised they have not produced a series on "The History of Taking a Dump"...  ::)

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 09/05/08 at 8:00 am

Yeah, I watched a Battle 360 on WWII (or something like it).  Was kewl!  So much so, I'm thinking of getting it on DVD...

They have/had an excellent Sagan-ish series called "Universe" worth checking out.  Had me riveted all night...

Yes, the Universe is an incredibly good series that touches upon pretty much anything you'd want to know about the universe, without getting really mathematical or complicated. At the very least, I had no idea dark matter accounted for 6x the mass of the universe than visible matter did. And then there's dark energy, which is very mysterious and interesting.

I also think Gangland is an interesting overview of some of the countries most notorious gangs, like the Latin Kings for instance. It's kinda violent, but then again what would you expect from a series like that?  ::)

The recent Jurassic Fight Club is also worth checking out.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/08 at 10:12 pm

The History Channel has gone so far off course, I am surprised they have not produced a series on "The History of Taking a Dump"...   ::)

Oh, they will by and by, "Commodes through the Ages" or "Sir Thomas Crapper: A Profile in Sewage."  I mean, they've already done the history of beer and the history of bread, so it's a question of time 'till they work on the other end of things!
::)

Written By: whistledog on 09/06/08 at 12:01 am

The History Channel has gone so far off course, I am surprised they have not produced a series on "The History of Taking a Dump"...   ::)

Man, don't five them any ideas.  The last thing anyone wants to see is the scoop on poop ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/06/08 at 1:53 am

I like the History Channel.  Favorite shows Gangland and Save Our History.

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/06/08 at 1:52 pm

I watched "The Story of the Klan" on the History Channel.

Written By: Zeb on 09/06/08 at 2:56 pm

"History" on the History channel is pretty shallow and cursory.  They often give a comic book level of treatment of subjects.

That's exacly why I can't watch it.  IAll they ever show is "Modern Marvels" which bores me to death.  Look, if I wanted to learn how the Sears Tower was built I would go and visit it. 

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/07/08 at 3:33 am

Yeah "Modern Marvels" is a boring show!Do we really care if a new bridge in Tokyo gets finished or not!

Today on the Canadian history channel is the "Pentagon" 911 deal.......I'm still trying to figure out how a 124.5' wingspan aircraft knocks a 50' -60' hole through a concrete surfaces amounting to 18' in total yet leaves no debreis on the lawn & disappears????
An airplane is not much more than a reinforced pop can!
Take that 18' of concrete in total & add in the fact of dividing walls inner outer ring 1
inner & outer ring 2
inner & outer ring 3
inner & outer ring 4
outer ring 5
(the fact that that side was closed for renovations (how convenient!)
I say "Bunker Buster"
I'm going to watch it just to see how this puke whitewashes!!!
I do recall the camera shots of the pentagon day 1 was head on shot , but day 2 & beyond was a side angle!!??!
Years later CNN tried to show the footage again but you couldn't tell what it was that hit the side!

GO NAVY!!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/08 at 3:29 pm

That's exacly why I can't watch it.  IAll they ever show is "Modern Marvels" which bores me to death.  Look, if I wanted to learn how the Sears Tower was built I would go and visit it. 

;D

Well, at least the Sears Tower is an engineering feat, the WTF moment for me came when they had truckstops as a "modern marvel."  Did the producers look up the word "marvel" in the dictionary before they titled that show?  And speaking of trucks, that "Ice Road Truckers" turned into the redneck Icecapades!
:P

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/08/08 at 7:17 am

They took Civil War Minutes off. >:(

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/15/08 at 4:40 pm

Battlefield detectives was a good show!
Blew the heroic lie out of Custer & His last Stand!
Talk about "Bite Off More Than You Can Chew"
Piss your pants & RUN for the Hills!!!!
His big Ego got a all his men killed!
I don't care for the Rome & old British midevil stuff....But Tony Robbins & the old Industrial Revolutions
That was an interesting show!
Battle 360 has promise!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/16/08 at 4:04 pm

I used to love the History Channel but lately, it doesn't have too much that interest me. History's Mysteries is ok (Is that still on?). It seems like whenever we go to it, they have something that we are not interested in-Modern Marvels or Ice Road Truckers.

Last year I got this invite to join the History Channel Club. I thought, how cool. As soon as I joined, I got letter after letter, phone call after phone call asking me to up my membership to a "lifetime member"-this was even before I got the first magazine. The magazine was ok but not anything great. What really bothers me is that they seem to focus too much on war history-and it doesn't matter what war. I understand that there are a lot of people who "get into" that (like Reynolds1863  ;) ) but it just isn't my thing. There is just so much to History but I think the channel doesn't quite know how to tap into the vast area.

Oh, and then there is their sister station the Biography Channel. When Biography first started on A&E, it was a great show-they focused on historical figures, explorers, inventors, reformers, kings, queens, etc. etc. Then they started to shift to celebrities. After a while, it was nothing but celebrities and you will be lucky to find a historical figure save Martin Luther King Jr. and/or Rosa Parks.

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/16/08 at 7:57 pm

I used to love the History Channel but lately, it doesn't have too much that interest me. History's Mysteries is ok (Is that still on?). It seems like whenever we go to it, they have something that we are not interested in-Modern Marvels or Ice Road Truckers.

Last year I got this invite to join the History Channel Club. I thought, how cool. As soon as I joined, I got letter after letter, phone call after phone call asking me to up my membership to a "lifetime member"-this was even before I got the first magazine. The magazine was ok but not anything great. What really bothers me is that they seem to focus too much on war history-and it doesn't matter what war. I understand that there are a lot of people who "get into" that (like Reynolds1863  ;) ) but it just isn't my thing. There is just so much to History but I think the channel doesn't quite know how to tap into the vast area.

Oh, and then there is their sister station the Biography Channel. When Biography first started on A&E, it was a great show-they focused on historical figures, explorers, inventors, reformers, kings, queens, etc. etc. Then they started to shift to celebrities. After a while, it was nothing but celebrities and you will be lucky to find a historical figure save Martin Luther King Jr. and/or Rosa Parks.

Cat

I found History's Mysteries to be worth watching.  History In The Classroom was also interesting.  After watching that a few times I realized how censored my education really was.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/17/08 at 10:10 am

I found History's Mysteries to be worth watching.  History In The Classroom was also interesting.  After watching that a few times I realized how censored my education really was.

That is a show I haven't seen yet (didn't know it existed until I just read your post). I'll check it out.

Cat

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/18/08 at 7:20 am

I think if you find theres too much on about wars..Look at our track record throughout history.
Seems to be the only thing mankind is good at!!!

I always thought a handshake was cheaper than an automatic weapon!

The USA bit off more than it could chew with Iraq as just conquering a nation & putting up a McDonald's won't ever solve the centuries of hatered that & most middle eastern have for religious differences between the tribes.........."I Kill You Because You Born So"

Sad to say but the USA should pull out close their borders & let them fight it out amongst them selves to the last man standing!

I do like the shows about WW2
My own father served in the liberation of Holland & never quite recovered from the ordeal!
These days I don't see any "Just" causes for invasions.......& A pity to those lads that have to go & witness
the horrors of battle!

The Beatles said "All You Need is Love"
But no one ever really listens :\'(

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/21/08 at 12:02 pm

I kinda prefer B biography channel. Although they have repackaged American Justice and called it Notorious.( Which I consider cheating)

Check for new replies or respond here...