inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music tastes link to personality

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/05/08 at 7:57 am

The genre of music you tend to prefer says alot about your personality according to a professor in the UK.

"One of the most surprising things is the similarities between fans of classical music and heavy metal. They're both creative and at ease but not outgoing.

"The general public has held a stereotype of heavy metal fans being suicidally depressed and of being a danger to themselves and society in general. But they are quite delicate things."

Full Story at the BBC

amiright.com

Subject: Re: Music tastes link to personality

Written By: midnite on 11/09/08 at 3:15 pm

Perhaps, I consider myself very open-minded and creative.  Musically, I love all types of music - even the weird stuff. 

Written By: star80 on 11/09/08 at 6:36 pm

MUSICAL STYLES VERSUS PERSONALITY TRAITS

BLUES  High self-esteem, creative, outgoing, gentle and at ease 

COUNTRY AND WESTERN  Hardworking, outgoing 

ROCK/HEAVY METAL  Low self-esteem, creative, not hard-working, not outgoing, gentle, at ease 

CHART POP  High self-esteem, not creative, hardworking, outgoing, gentle, not at ease 

SOUL  High self-esteem, creative, outgoing, gentle, at ease 

......Well I like all of these which I guess would explain my imaginative personality

Written By: joeman on 12/27/08 at 5:07 pm

BLUES   High self-esteem, creative, outgoing, gentle and at ease 

This is interesting considering that the Blues was known for depression of the slaves in America. 

That said, I pretty much agree with the list.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/27/08 at 9:49 pm

That's interesting. While I don't think anything like this is always true (there's tons of people who like given artists and styles of music) I think it probably tends to be kinda true. I have alot of conflicting things about me in terms of personality, which makes sense 'cause I like alot of different music - though I'm primarily a fan of '80s/90s pop I like at least a little of most genres.

Written By: Paul on 12/28/08 at 9:47 am

Total piffle...I adore soul music, yet I'd be first to admit a deficiency in the self-esteem and outgoing departments...

Haven't these esteemed 'men of learning' got better ways of studying psychology? I do hope my tax isn't funding this rubbish!  ::)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/31/08 at 1:08 am

My musical tastes are extremely varied, so I can't say the way they classify one's personality with this "high" or "low" self esteem is going to make me any different. I think they need to work more on the true definition of those who listen to certain types of music and have better classifications. Instead of type of music, maybe they should classify it by frequency the person listens to music, how many different artists are in their collection (such as the dominence or presence of a certain "kind" of artist), and the person's own musicality.

I guess I'm being a bit technical, but I just don't like how shallow they were about the personality types. It was worse than a horoscope personality description  ;D

Written By: joeman on 01/02/09 at 5:49 pm

Rethinking the Heavy Metal part of this thread, Jethro Tull wrote some interesting songs which people with high-esteem could appreciate.

Yes, the Grammy's considered Tull a heavy metal band, beating Metallica.  :D

Written By: ninny on 01/03/09 at 1:33 pm

MUSICAL STYLES VERSUS PERSONALITY TRAITS

BLUES   High self-esteem, creative, outgoing, gentle and at ease 

COUNTRY AND WESTERN   Hardworking, outgoing 

ROCK/HEAVY METAL   Low self-esteem, creative, not hard-working, not outgoing, gentle, at ease 

CHART POP   High self-esteem, not creative, hardworking, outgoing, gentle, not at ease 

SOUL   High self-esteem, creative, outgoing, gentle, at ease 

......Well I like all of these which I guess would explain my imaginative personality

Interesting because I like both Elton John & Led Zeppelin..So I have both high & low self esteem,I've always felt that conflict going on  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...