inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How popular is BBC America?

Written By: IanG on 09/21/08 at 3:31 pm

I'm currently in a debate on another site about the TV series Little Britain.

I know the origianl series were shown on BBC America and that HBO are producing the new series Little Britain USA, so I was wondering how familiar an American audience would be of the characters in the original series. I feel that the new series will be too reliant on characters that have been done to death over here in the UK, when the new characters look strong enough to carry the series in their own right.

Seeing as most of the members on this are American, or US-based at least, I'm hoping that you will be able to give me some idea of how popular BBC America is and how likely it is that a show on this channel would catch on stateside.

Subject: Re: How popular is BBC America?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/08 at 3:34 pm

"The computer says No!"

Written By: IanG on 09/21/08 at 4:02 pm

;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/21/08 at 4:19 pm

I used to watch alot more BBC America then I do now.  Not sure what changed really.  It's still, by far, one of my favorite channels. 

Having said that, I've never really seen a full episode of Little Britain. 
I think, in general, people are getting tired of television that just rips off programs that have done well in other countries.  You have to have a certain sense of humor to appreciate British sit-coms (or Britcoms as it were).  I would truly have to see it first to judge because sometimes an interpretation just does not go well as the original.

I'm REALLY hoping that the American version of Life on Mars turns out as great as the original BBC one (which I saw on BBC America), but I'm not holding my breath in anticipation because they usually muck it up.  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/21/08 at 4:31 pm

I used to watch it a lot when they showed Cash in the Attic (Love that show) and Bargain Hunt but haven't seen either show in a while (it could be they moved them to a time that I don't have the t.v. on). We watched Robin Hood for the first season but only seen a few episodes of it the second season because we kept forgetting when it was on and by then, we totally were lost as to where the story went. (Have to watch it in order). We also liked when they showed the Sharpe movies-we like them so much that we bought all of them on DVD (well, we are missing the last one-need to get that.)

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 09/21/08 at 5:21 pm

I  have to say I watch a lot.  Our Public Broadcasting has a lineup of that includes Waiting for God, Keeping Up Appearances, Vicar of Dibley, New Tricks, and Chef.  They had The Office before the made the US  version.  There was also Ballykissangel  They also show mysteries with Inspector Lynley, Inspector Morse, Miss Marple, and Sherlock Holmes to name a few.  The only problem I have is they show the same ones over and over and over.  I wish they would get more of a variety.  I love the stuff the Brits do.

I have to add that my favorite American show last season was Life, the star of which is Damian Lewis.  It starts up again next Monday and I just can't wait!  I have been watching the reruns on the Hulu all summer.

Written By: karen on 09/21/08 at 6:47 pm

I know the origianl series were shown on BBC America and that HBO are producing the new series Little Britain USA, so I was wondering how familiar an American audience would be of the characters in the original series. I feel that the new series will be too reliant on characters that have been done to death over here in the UK, when the new characters look strong enough to carry the series in their own right.

So do you mean the original British actors making a new series specially for broadcast in the US or and American rip-off of Little Britain using different actors?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/21/08 at 8:51 pm

So do you mean the original British actors making a new series specially for broadcast in the US or and American rip-off of Little Britain using different actors?

It looks like the two main actors/writers of the BBC version are also doing the American version, Matt Lucas and David Walliams.  At first glance, it looks like everybody else is new.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/21/08 at 10:06 pm

I watch a lot of BBC America.  Not sure it's popular, but I still make it one of my "check and see what's on" channels.

I didn't care much for Little Brittan, and I'm not sure I'd care more for the American remake.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/08 at 1:57 am

The production of Little Britain USA was held up by that writers' strike, so finally we will get to get the result.

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/22/08 at 4:03 am

I love Red Dwarf, and I know the American version was a total disaster. I like watching BBC America. Top Gear is a cool show! Don't get to watch much though, cause hubby doesn't much like British humour or T.V. I on the other hand grew up on Dave Allen , Monthy Python and Bennie Hill.
Back in the days when they were only on PBS (Public broadcasting).
So my daughter share boxed sets of Red Dwarf and Black Books among other things.
I wish we had BBC 4, ther ereally seems to be some cool stuff there also.

Written By: IanG on 09/22/08 at 4:40 am

Thanks for the response, guys. You've given me someting to think about.

By the looks of it, Little Britain USA is a new show and Matt Lucas and David Walliams are still the main stars. If it's as good as the first two series of Little Britain then I would urge you to watch it. However, if it's no better than series 3, ie. gross-out comedy but without the comedy, then give it a miss.

Written By: karen on 09/22/08 at 7:57 am

By the looks of it, Little Britain USA is a new show and Matt Lucas and David Walliams are still the main stars. If it's as good as the first two series of Little Britain then I would urge you to watch it. However, if it's no better than series 3, ie. gross-out comedy but without the comedy, then give it a miss.

I watched most of the first two series of Little Britain but as you say it just became gross without any humour.

I love Red Dwarf, and I know the American version was a total disaster.

I don't really get why they totally remake a series just to have American actors in it.   :-\\  Actually, having lived here for a year, I do.  Everyone is so busy saying how cute the accents are they forget to listen to the actual words!  ;)

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/22/08 at 1:12 pm

I watched most of the first two series of Little Britain but as you say it just became gross without any humour.

I don't really get why they totally remake a series just to have American actors in it.  :-\\  Actually, having lived here for a year, I do.  Everyone is so busy saying how cute the accents are they forget to listen to the actual words!  ;)

I agree I thought the  jokes were so funny, but I can see the point where people would think the accents were cute. Its funny but my fav actor on the show was American, The Cat he was the man. Although Craig Charles was a honey.
And Black books that show is just downright hysterical.

Written By: IanG on 09/22/08 at 2:13 pm

I agree I thought the  jokes were so funny, but I can see the point where people would think the accents were cute. Its funny but my fav actor on the show was American, The Cat he was the man. Although Craig Charles was a honey.
And Black books that show is just downright hysterical.

Just in case you didn't know, the actor who played Cat, Danny John Jules, isn't really an American.  :)

Written By: Paul on 09/22/08 at 2:17 pm

'Fraid I never could see the attraction of Little Britain (come to think of it, any 'comedy' orginating from BBC3 leaves me cold!)...I must be getting old!

Written By: IanG on 09/22/08 at 2:36 pm

Not even 'Gavin & Stacey'?? Surely you jest!  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/22/08 at 3:25 pm

I really hate it when they have actors trying to do an American accent who really can't. I'm sure our friends from across the pond hate to hear actors trying to do a British accent who can't.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/08 at 3:28 pm

I really hate it when they have actors trying to do an American accent who really can't. I'm sure our friends from across the pond hate to hear actors trying to do a British accent who can't.

Cat
Remember Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins?

Written By: IanG on 09/22/08 at 4:48 pm

Remember Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins?

Gor bloimy, corse oi dew!  :)

Doing other accents is a hard trick to pull off. Never mind an American accent, most people can't do a regional one! When it goes wrong (which it usually does) on TV or in movies, it's deeply embarrassing. I remember Frasier consistantly got it spectacularly wrong. First there was Daphne's ex-boyfriend who sounded just like Dick Van Dyke, then there was Anthony LaPaglia's turn as her cockney brother. Even the actors they used who were actually British all spoke with different accents!! Frasier is one of my all-time faves but this nearly spoiled it for me.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/22/08 at 4:55 pm

Hugh Laurie is good at it in House.  I know a lot of people that didn't know he was a Brit.  Damian Lewis in Life does a good job, too.

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/22/08 at 8:07 pm

Just in case you didn't know, the actor who played Cat, Danny John Jules, isn't really an American.  :)

No Kidding, He soumded american. I love him hes great and lookin nice lookin real nice.
thanks for the info.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/22/08 at 11:54 pm

I  have to say I watch a lot.  Our Public Broadcasting has a lineup of that includes Waiting for God, Keeping Up Appearances, Vicar of Dibley, New Tricks, and Chef.  They had The Office before the made the US  version.  There was also Ballykissangel  They also show mysteries with Inspector Lynley, Inspector Morse, Miss Marple, and Sherlock Holmes to name a few.  The only problem I have is they show the same ones over and over and over.  I wish they would get more of a variety.  I love the stuff the Brits do.

I have to add that my favorite American show last season was Life, the star of which is Damian Lewis.  It starts up again next Monday and I just can't wait!  I have been watching the reruns on the Hulu all summer.

While I've never heard of BBC America before, I have watched Keeping Up With Appearances and Are You Being Served? on PBS. Is BBC America a cable channel?

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/23/08 at 12:00 am

While I've never heard of BBC America before, I have watched Keeping Up With Appearances and Are You Being Served? on PBS. Is BBC America a cable channel?

yup, it's also on satellite as well

Written By: IanG on 09/23/08 at 2:33 am

No Kidding, He soumded american. I love him hes great and lookin nice lookin real nice.
thanks for the info.

There you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FltpnxuiQgY  :)

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/23/08 at 6:27 am

There you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FltpnxuiQgY  :)

Thanks, I never knew. The box set is so cool,. I think my fav episode is Polymorph well except for the last couple of seasons when the series went downhill!!
But it still remains one of my all time favs. I think my fav episode is Polymorph.
The cat emegring is one of the clips on My myspace home page!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH-688UBoCc

Written By: karen on 09/23/08 at 7:51 am

Hugh Laurie is good at it in House.  I know a lot of people that didn't know he was a Brit.  Damian Lewis in Life does a good job, too.

I like House and I agree with you about his accent.  Mind you, I think I've been here too long.  I'm getting so I can't tell if people are speaking with an English or an American accent (in some cases at least) particulalry in adverts

Written By: Paul on 09/23/08 at 12:09 pm

Not even 'Gavin & Stacey'?? Surely you jest!  :)

Sorry, not even heard of it!  :D

I kind of gave up after 'Man About The House'...(or 'Three's Company' to our American friends!)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/08 at 12:10 pm

I kind of gave up after 'Man About The House'...(or 'Three's Company' to our American friends!)
Fawlty Towers?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/23/08 at 1:55 pm

You know, sometimes I like to watch the news on BBC America.  I trust it far more then any news source inside of America to be fair and unbiased.  Plus you actually get to hear about the rest of the world not like American-centered news where you might hear a 4-second blurb about something that happened worldwide (but only if it was like a major earthquake or on occasion something about the war.)

Plus, yeah, you caught me, the accents are just so darned cute!  (Silly American!)  :D ;D

Written By: Paul on 09/23/08 at 2:30 pm

Fawlty Towers?

Yep! That's about my era!

Plus, yeah, you caught me, the accents are just so darned cute!  (Silly American!)  :D ;D

Hm...then I expect you've heard of this chap, Russell Brand (who courted a bit of controversy hosting the recent MTV awards)...

His is an Essex accent...and there is nothing 'cute' about that at all!  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/08 at 2:34 pm

Yep! That's about my era!

Hm...then I expect you've heard of this chap, Russell Brand (who courted a bit of controversy hosting the recent MTV awards)...

Is he from Dagenham?

Written By: IanG on 09/23/08 at 2:39 pm

Well then, make sure you don't miss 'George And Mildred'. It's a hoot!  :)

Written By: Paul on 09/23/08 at 2:41 pm

Is he from Dagenham?

After a quick bit of research, seems he was born in Grays (which, like Dagenham, is about as salubrious as Essex gets!)

Not that it matters, the accent is still as appealing as nails down a blackboard!  :P

Written By: Jessica on 09/23/08 at 3:12 pm

Waiting For God is a hoot.  I have it queued up on my Netflix.  Diana was such a grumpy old cow. :D

For the original question: I used to adore BBC America.  We can't afford cable/satellite though, so I only get my fix when we go back to California to visit our family.  I have heard of the Little Britain show, but not really sure what it is about.  I think I need to go look it up.  It would probably catch on though, seeing the success of The Office remake.

Written By: IanG on 09/23/08 at 3:41 pm

I have heard of the Little Britain show, but not really sure what it is about.  I think I need to go look it up.  It would probably catch on though, seeing the success of The Office remake.

Little Britain is a sketch show written and performed by Matt Lucas & David Walliams. I was outrageous, rude and very funny for the first couple of series. However, in series 3 and the Christmas specials that followed, it just became crude and unfunny, in my opinion. It also spawned numerous catchphrase which have sadly become an overused part of everyday speech here in the UK.

There are plenty of clips on YouTube which should give you a reasonable idea of what the show is all about.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/23/08 at 3:56 pm

Another series I saw, that I really liked, (although I don't remember if I saw it on BBC America or PBS or maybe HBO perhaps?) was Bob and Margaret.  It was a really funny, adult-oriented cartoon.

A couple other Brit-coms I adore are: Mulberry, May to December and As Time Goes By.  Dame Judy Dench is awesome in that series, as are all the actors who played characters really, although I have yet to recognize any of them in other movies/series I've seen since.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/23/08 at 4:12 pm

I used to watch it a lot when they showed Cash in the Attic (Love that show) and Bargain Hunt but haven't seen either show in a while (it could be they moved them to a time that I don't have the t.v. on). We watched Robin Hood for the first season but only seen a few episodes of it the second season because we kept forgetting when it was on and by then, we totally were lost as to where the story went. (Have to watch it in order). We also liked when they showed the Sharpe movies-we like them so much that we bought all of them on DVD (well, we are missing the last one-need to get that.)

Cat

They moved Cash in the Attic to 5 and 5:30 a.m., 9 and 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.  I will sometimes watch the 5 a.m. ones since I am most always up at that time.  I really like Alistair Appleton, as host best.  So if the others are hosts, sometimes I'll turn it off because that Lorne Spicer (I just don't like her voice or something, it drives me batty  :D )

As for Bargain Hunt, it's on even earlier, at 4 and 4:30 a.m. and 3 and 3:30 p.m.,  I like him, he's odd but likeable.

I wish they would put old episodes of Life Laundry on, I used to love that show, but kept seeing the same 5 or 6 episodes.  House Doctor was ok, but the snooty "expert" was a bit of a bitch, so I didn't like her as much, but then Alister Appleton was host on that too, and he's just so cute.  (Yeah I know he's gay).  But the personality that he projects on those series is rather appealing.

Kim and Aggie are funny too, but I don't watch that one as much either.

I wish they would put that one mystery series back on that starred Patrick Stewart, "Eleventh Hour", although perhaps they only made a few episodes of it before it was cancelled.  I liked that one alot.  Apparently they are making an "Americanized" version with different players, but I liked Patrick Stewart's bombastic way of acting that character but oh well, nobody asks me what to cancel or keep on the air.  ::) ;D

Written By: IanG on 09/23/08 at 4:54 pm

They moved Cash in the Attic to 5 and 5:30 a.m., 9 and 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.   I will sometimes watch the 5 a.m. ones since I am most always up at that time.  I really like Alistair Appleton, as host best.  So if the others are hosts, sometimes I'll turn it off because that Lorne Spicer (I just don't like her voice or something, it drives me batty  :D )

As for Bargain Hunt, it's on even earlier, at 4 and 4:30 a.m. and 3 and 3:30 p.m.,  I like him, he's odd but likeable.

I wish they would put old episodes of Life Laundry on, I used to love that show, but kept seeing the same 5 or 6 episodes.  House Doctor was ok, but the snooty "expert" was a bit of a bitch, so I didn't like her as much, but then Alister Appleton was host on that too, and he's just so cute.  (Yeah I know he's gay).  But the personality that he projects on those series is rather appealing.

Ah, the insidious delights of daytime TV! I resisted for ages, but they got me in the end! :)
It seems that the distaste for Lorne Spicer has gone transatlantic. She gets on my nerves, too It's definitely her voice, it goes right through you, as does her lfake laugh. Don't get me started on her dress sense, either!  ;D
Timbo on Bargain Hunt is an absolute treasure, much better than the previous host, the ghastly David Dickinson.  8-P

I share your enthusiasm for Alistair Appleton. I think he's gorgeous. Posh totty, definitely!  :) Personally, I'm delighted he's gay because I like to think, in my sad deluded male way, that if we ever met, I'd stand a chance with him.  ::)

Written By: Paul on 09/23/08 at 6:12 pm

Ah, the insidious delights of daytime TV! I resisted for ages, but they got me in the end! :)

When I'm not at work, I've made an absolute rule to avoid daytime TV like the plague!  :P

Bring back the testcard...it was so much more entertaining!

Written By: IanG on 09/23/08 at 6:33 pm

When I'm not at work, I've made an absolute rule to avoid daytime TV like the plague!  :P

Bring back the testcard...it was so much more entertaining!

There is hope for me, however. 'Cash In The Attic', 'Homes Under The Hammer', et al, have been repeated so often that I'm completely bored of them. So now I watch 'The Sweeney' and 'Minder' on ITV4 instead. ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/08 at 10:43 pm

A lot of AM radio stations still run the BBC news service.  Some public radio stations do too.  BBC programming still draws a steady audience on PBS.

Cheeri-O!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/24/08 at 12:38 am

Actually, hadn't heard about him other then a brief commercial advertising the MTV awards (the accent peaked my interest) but I only was half listening since MTV long ago became a network that doesn't represent my way of life/thinking anymore.  (Sucks getting old sometimes.  lol)
So I didn't actually know the chap's name until you mentioned it here.  So naturally, I went looking on youtube.  He's an unusual guy, isn't he?
While his accent is interesting the first time you hear it, after he gets going and talking faster and faster and clipping his words, I sometimes had to stop and figure out what the hell he was saying.  lol  Not sure then that I actually like that region's accent then.  lol  I think one that is awesome and funny is...called...um.. Geordy (maybe)?  Also Ozzy Osbourne's accent (I presume from Birmingham, whatever that region would be called) is interesting, but sometimes the slurring of the words is hard to understand (I don't know if that's a accent problem or a too-many-years-of-substance-abuse problem.)  ;D 

I like watching a show called Creature Comforts, on BBC America, because I get alot of my English accents all wrapped up in one program.  Yay!  lol
Anyway, didn't mean to go on about accents (as that's not what this thread is about)  ;D  I shall now return you to your previous topic of conversation (already in progress).  ;)

Written By: IanG on 09/24/08 at 5:01 am

He's an unusual guy, isn't he?

Russell Brand gets on my bloody nerves, so 'unusual' is one of the kinder words I'd use to describe him.  ;D Also, I think you're right about Ozzy Osbourne; he is from Birmingham but it's the substance abuse related slurring that makes him difficult to understand.

I find your thoughts on accents very interesting. I'm surprised you don't find the Geordie accent completely impenetrable because there are people over her who can't understand a word they're saying!  :) Then again, I suppose it depends how much you expose yourself to different accents, and seeing as you like Creature Comforts, maybe it's not such a surprise. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/24/08 at 5:23 am

Russell Brand gets on my bloody nerves, so 'unusual' is one of the kinder words I'd use to describe him.  ;D Also, I think you're right about Ozzy Osbourne; he is from Birmingham but it's the substance abuse related slurring that makes him difficult to understand.

I find your thoughts on accents very interesting. I'm surprised you don't find the Geordie accent completely impenetrable because there are people over her who can't understand a word they're saying!  :) Then again, I suppose it depends how much you expose yourself to different accents, and seeing as you like Creature Comforts, maybe it's not such a surprise. :)
Russell Brand has ruined Saturday radio listening on Radio 2!

Written By: seamermar on 09/24/08 at 5:40 am

I'll always have love their documental works
but for this I have my doubts of is there any worth:

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/09/09/bbc-to-track-a-shipp.html

They are sending out a message in a container
a waste of money to see it round and round
peharps to know how many ships he could take
before he sinks in the depest sea
till the rechoning day ?

Written By: danootaandme on 09/24/08 at 5:55 am

I'll always have love their documental works
but for this I have my doubts of is there any worth:

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/09/09/bbc-to-track-a-shipp.html

They are sending out a message in a container a waste of money to see it round and round peharps to know how many ships he could take before he sinks in the depest sea till the reckoning day ?

Not really costing them much.  Just the cost of the GPS system to attach to a working container.  These containers are filled and reused by shipping companies all the time

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/24/08 at 6:29 am

Actually, hadn't heard about him other then a brief commercial advertising the MTV awards (the accent peaked my interest) but I only was half listening since MTV long ago became a network that doesn't represent my way of life/thinking anymore.  (Sucks getting old sometimes.  lol)
So I didn't actually know the chap's name until you mentioned it here.  So naturally, I went looking on youtube.  He's an unusual guy, isn't he?
While his accent is interesting the first time you hear it, after he gets going and talking faster and faster and clipping his words, I sometimes had to stop and figure out what the hell he was saying.  lol  Not sure then that I actually like that region's accent then.  lol  I think one that is awesome and funny is...called...um.. Geordy (maybe)?  Also Ozzy Osbourne's accent (I presume from Birmingham, whatever that region would be called) is interesting, but sometimes the slurring of the words is hard to understand (I don't know if that's a accent problem or a too-many-years-of-substance-abuse problem.)  ;D 

I like watching a show called Creature Comforts, on BBC America, because I get alot of my English accents all wrapped up in one program.  Yay!  lol
Anyway, didn't mean to go on about accents (as that's not what this thread is about)  ;D  I shall now return you to your previous topic of conversation (already in progress).  ;)

I like the BBC news on NPR It gives a differnet perspective on world events that we can't get here in the states.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/24/08 at 6:34 am

I like the BBC news on NPR It gives a differnet perspective on world events that we can't get here in the states.

People made a big stink about Al Jazeera being on the waves here.  You may not like what you hear, but if it the opinion of a good portion of the world it is better to hear it than to ignore it.  The government listens to world wide media outlets, but isn't too happy about the citizens hearing what the world has to say.

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/24/08 at 6:49 am

People made a big stink about Al Jazeera being on the waves here.  You may not like what you hear, but if it the opinion of a good portion of the world it is better to hear it than to ignore it.  The government listens to world wide media outlets, but isn't too happy about the citizens hearing what the world has to say.

I agree ignorance is not bliss.

Written By: IanG on 09/24/08 at 12:56 pm

This sounds like a dangerous outbreak of democracy to me!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...