inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This year's Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame entries

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/22/08 at 7:16 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080922/ap_on_en_mu/rock_hall_nominees

Metallica, Run-DMC, Jeff Beck, singer Wanda Jackson, Little Anthony and the Imperials, War, Bobby Womack, and disco and R&B group Chic.

A much wider range of musical tastes this time.

Subject: Re: This year's Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame entries

Written By: whistledog on 09/23/08 at 12:01 am

It's about time Little Anthony made it into the hall of fame.  There are still many 60s and 50s groups not yet in the hall of fame.  Cliff Richard deserves a spot in there, assuming he's not already in there

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/23/08 at 6:28 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080922/ap_on_en_mu/rock_hall_nominees

Metallica, Run-DMC, Jeff Beck, singer Wanda Jackson, Little Anthony and the Imperials, War, Bobby Womack, and disco and R&B group Chic.

A much wider range of musical tastes this time.

No Moody Blues again  or ELP ? Jann Wenner is a tool!!!!>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( RUN DMC????CHIC??? 8-P

Written By: Jessica on 09/23/08 at 9:19 am

It's about time Little Anthony made it into the hall of fame.  There are still many 60s and 50s groups not yet in the hall of fame.  Cliff Richard deserves a spot in there, assuming he's not already in there

Ditto that.  I'm happy to see that War is on for this year as well.  I hope they get in.  How could you not love "Spill the Wine" with Eric Burdon? :D  Not sure why Metallica is on there though.  I've never found them to be THAT great.

My guesses:

1. Run DMC
2. Metallica
3. Little Anthony and the Imperials
4. Chic
5. War

Written By: Paul on 09/23/08 at 2:36 pm

It's about time Little Anthony made it into the hall of fame.

He and the group have done well in getting nominated...

...but that's as far as they'll get, as hardly anyone will remember who they were (not good for photo-ops!)

Sadly, this will also hold true for Wanda Jackson...

Cliff Richard deserves a spot in there, assuming he's not already in there

He isn't and is not likely to be...

The Hall Of Fame is an American thing and Cliff means almost zilch in America (despite having had a handful of hits there!)

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 09/23/08 at 3:40 pm

Jann wener is a moron who won't let the monkees in the HOF because he said they fake! but here is a question? who ushered in pop in the late 60's and made good hits like not your steppin stone,daytime belever? the monkess rest my case

Written By: loki 13 on 09/23/08 at 5:07 pm

With each passing year the selection committee for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Sham continues to
embarrass itself with nominees that either don't play rock & roll, or the ones that do, don't belong.
If other Halls Of Fame used the same criteria for it's nominees we'll see Larry Byrd, Eva Mataya Laurance
and Jose Canseco up for Baseball's Class of 2009.  >:(

Written By: danootaandme on 09/23/08 at 5:23 pm

Jann wener is a moron who won't let the monkees in the HOF because he said they fake! but here is a question? who ushered in pop in the late 60's and made good hits like not your steppin stone,daytime belever? the monkess rest my case

The Monkees were a manufactured band.  Good tunes, yes, but manufactured just like the Spice Girls  Of course there is a lot of that these days so maybe they should have a separate category for them. 

With each passing year the selection committee for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Sham continues to embarrass itself with nominees that either don't play rock & roll, or the ones that do, don't belong.

The Hall of Fame inducts Rock and Rollers, and those who influenced the music.  Looking over the list I do seriously question some of the choices,(what the heck is Steely Dan doing there??  Leonard Cohen, please) but I do appreciate that they aren't as narrow as you seem to want them to be.

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/26/08 at 12:16 pm

Ok, I'll concede Run DMC But Chic what the fudge did they ever do that had a lasting impression on music??? Huh HUh? Jan Wenner should be removed from the committee. Yes I do think the likes of Cliff Richard and Johnathan King should be inducted also. The Brits changed the face of music forever.

Written By: tv on 09/26/08 at 12:55 pm

Metallica and Run DMC should get in. Chic-I don;t know about that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/08 at 7:27 pm

I think they're all good choices.  Wanda Jackson is hardly famous anymore, but she damn well oughta be!

No Moody Blues again  or ELP ? Jann Wenner is a tool!!!!>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( RUN DMC????CHIC??? 8-P

Major tool!  Beaucoup tool!  King-Kong tool!  "Rolling Stone" has been a total P.O.S. rag since about 1985!

Wenner's ego is so big he got himself inducted in 2004 for a "Lifetime achievement" award. 

I'm going to have him kidnapped and tortured until he puts Depeche Mode in there!
>:(

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/26/08 at 10:14 pm

I think they're all good choices.  Wanda Jackson is hardly famous anymore, but she damn well oughta be!
Major tool!  Beaucoup tool!  King-Kong tool!  "Rolling Stone" has been a total P.O.S. rag since about 1985!

Wenner's ego is so big he got himself inducted in 2004 for a "Lifetime achievement" award. 

I'm going to have him kidnapped and tortured until he puts Depeche Mode in there!
>:(

Want some help?

Written By: whistledog on 09/28/08 at 11:34 am

He isn't and is not likely to be...

The Hall Of Fame is an American thing and Cliff means almost zilch in America (despite having had a handful of hits there!)

A sad shame.  A great talent almost cmpletely unknown in America.  The States was seemingly the only country where he wasn't a major star in the 50s/60s

If that hall of fame was in Canada, Cliff would have been inducted years ago

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/28/08 at 3:23 pm

Ditto that.  I'm happy to see that War is on for this year as well.  I hope they get in. 

Woud love to hear them sing their anthem "Why Can't We Be Friends" at the ceremony jam session.  'Tis a great song for any drunken gathering.  8)

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/29/08 at 6:12 am

Woud love to hear them sing their anthem "Why Can't We Be Friends" at the ceremony jam session.  'Tis a great song for any drunken gathering.  8)
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/beerchug.gif

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/29/08 at 2:22 pm

No Moody Blues again   or ELP ? Jann Wenner is a tool!!!!>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( RUN DMC????CHIC??? 8-P

I agree!

Chicago and Donovan was snubbed again! Bullsheesh!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/08 at 8:39 pm

Want some help?

Sure, when he's tied up in the basement I'll need somebody to feed him and empty his slop bucket until he caves in to A Flock of Seagulls!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/30/08 at 2:05 pm

Sure, when he's tied up in the basement I'll need somebody to feed him and empty his slop bucket until he caves in to A Flock of Seagulls!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif

;D :D

Written By: Paul on 10/10/08 at 7:11 am

A sad shame.  A great talent almost cmpletely unknown in America.  The States was seemingly the only country where he wasn't a major star in the 50s/60s

A lot of it was down to poor transatlantic management and promotion...he had several golden opportunities in the States before the Beatles' hit, but they were either wasted, or he wasn't able to capitalise on them...a shame!

The Monkees were a manufactured band.  Good tunes, yes, but manufactured just like the Spice Girls  Of course there is a lot of that these days so maybe they should have a separate category for them. 

The British Phonographic Industry were so desperate a few years ago, that the Spice Girls won an award for 'Outstanding Contribution To British Music'...

...thing was, they'd released about three singles at the time!  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...