inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: It's official, the economy's in deep dog maneuver! Economy 2008+

Written By: 80sfan on 09/24/08 at 11:52 pm

So, any thoughts, fears? Even Sarah Palin says we could be headed for another Great Depression!  :-[ :-\\

Subject: Re: It's official, the economy's in deep dog maneuver! Economy 2008+

Written By: Red Ant on 09/25/08 at 5:07 pm

karma for one of the funniest typos I've seen in a while.

Ant

Written By: midnite on 09/25/08 at 7:14 pm

We need the bailout. Yes, it sucks to bailout greedy bastards who took on too much risk.  However, we cannot have panic and bank-runs.  Watch WAMU right now.  WAMU is done.  Stock is 40 cents. They just sold their deposits to JP Morgan.

The bailout will help these banks survive. 

The key is home sales.  People are not buying houses.  We need temporarily low rates (i.e. 4%) and low prices to entice buyers. 

The homebuilders are getting crushed.  Though, strangely, their stocks do not reflect it.  Nobody is buying new homes.  11.5% decline today, year over year.  Nobody is buying existing homes.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/26/08 at 5:00 am

It's a very scary and worrying situation in all honestly. The US Economy (and the whole world economy really) is seemingly hanging by a thread, if no bailout passes soon then the stock market WILL completely crash and we'll be in a depression. I just read now that negotiations have stalled after yesterday it seemed like an agreement was there now it looks like no agreement now.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/26/campaign.wrap/index.html

Written By: 80sfan on 09/26/08 at 5:12 am

It's a very scary and worrying situation in all honestly. The US Economy (and the whole world economy really) is seemingly hanging by a thread, if no bailout passes soon then the stock market WILL completely crash and we'll be in a depression. I just read now that negotiations have stalled after yesterday it seemed like an agreement was there now it looks like no agreement now.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/26/campaign.wrap/index.html

Whoa, if the world does get into another depression and it's big enough, this means that they'll call this The Great Depression 2. There have been depressions before in America, One in the 1830's, I think? One in the 1890's, and the infamous one circa 1929 to 1940. I pray we don't get into one and the ironic thing is I thought it was near impossible for us to get into another depression!  :(

Written By: midnite on 09/26/08 at 6:38 pm

There will be an agreement on the plan.  No question about it. 

The problem is, the plan is not enough.  It will stop the bleeding for now.

Houses must sell
Oil must remain low
Jobs must be created
People must buy things

This will all be back in time.  Remember, after the Tech Stocks crashed in 2000 - everybody thought it was the end of the world and didn't want to invest in stocks.  The USA will be back - eventually.....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/08 at 6:55 pm

It depends on which doggie you are and which maneuver is being made on you!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/dogrun.gif

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/26/08 at 11:55 pm

BE ALL THAT YOU CAN BE

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/27/08 at 1:22 am

All of which reminds me, this is a board that's usually about music and pop culture.  Figuratively speaking, the best translation for dog maneuver (or manure) would be something like this:

Laibach, 1992, Wirtschaft is Tot ("The Economy is Dead")

Anyone sprechen sie Deutsche?

Written By: danootaandme on 09/27/08 at 6:01 am

The American public has got to take a good look in the mirror and take some of the blame for this.  The huge SUVs and pick-up trucks, the trips to Wal-Mart for crap, the need for a new wardrobe every year, the biggest t.v. set, etc. and all foreign.  The home equity loans used for vacations and not for home repairs, the maxed out credit cards, and nothing in the savings.  Cheering on the government for going into Kuwait, and Iraq, because we are Americans and whatever is out there that we need is ours by right.  Well, it is a case of the chickens coming home to roost and those of us who have tried to plod along doing the right thing, living within our means, saving money, cash not credit, are being dragged right along with it.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/28/08 at 4:48 pm

The American public has got to take a good look in the mirror and take some of the blame for this.  The huge SUVs and pick-up trucks, the trips to Wal-Mart for crap, the need for a new wardrobe every year, the biggest t.v. set, etc. and all foreign.  The home equity loans used for vacations and not for home repairs, the maxed out credit cards, and nothing in the savings.  Cheering on the government for going into Kuwait, and Iraq, because we are Americans and whatever is out there that we need is ours by right.  Well, it is a case of the chickens coming home to roost and those of us who have tried to plod along doing the right thing, living within our means, saving money, cash not credit, are being dragged right along with it.

QFT and karma.

Ant

Written By: danootaandme on 09/28/08 at 7:30 pm

A bit of advice

www.pbs.org/now/shows/438/bailout-finances.html

Written By: tv on 09/30/08 at 6:08 pm

Yeah I know some people bought SUVs from Toyota and Nissan which are foreign but GM, Ford, and Chrsyler were the creaters of the SUV and pick-up boom and benefited alot more from it than their foreign competitors did. I would say the SUV and pick-up was a trend that lasted from 1997/1998-2003. People still bought SUV's and pick-ups in the 2004-2006 period but less than the 1997/1998-2003 period.

I agree with you about people buying a new wardrobe and buying stuff from Wal-Mart on a constant basis.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/08 at 5:35 pm

Yeah I know some people bought SUVs from Toyota and Nissan which are foreign but GM, Ford, and Chrsyler were the creaters of the SUV and pick-up boom and benefited alot more from it than their foreign competitors did.

It doesn't matter where they were made.  The fact that people, especially people living in the city, who never have, and never will, have a reason for these vehicles made up all kinds of reasons why they just had to have them when the real reason was "I want". 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/08 at 10:57 pm

All of which reminds me, this is a board that's usually about music and pop culture.  Figuratively speaking, the best translation for dog maneuver (or manure) would be something like this:

Laibach, 1992, Wirtschaft is Tot ("The Economy is Dead")

Anyone sprechen sie Deutsche?

Isn't that word remarkably like "witchcraft"?
???

Written By: tv on 10/23/08 at 9:07 am

I think todays economy is a cross between the great depression and the early 90's reccession. The automotive sector in terms of sales of cars(or lack there of) is in terrible shape.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/23/08 at 10:18 am

After the last great depression in the 30's regulations were added to protect people against the economic devastation that it wrought.  That is what they told us.  What the regulations did was build in safequards to protect the assets of rich.  Now when a company folds the owners, boards, etc are not afraid of personal bankruptcy, they can take their salaries, bonuses, perks, stock options, and run laughing all the way.  That is why we don't see any of them nosediving off of the top of Trump Tower. 

Check for new replies or respond here...