inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: That's it... kids are spolied these days. Cheap night vision goggles for kids.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/28/08 at 6:34 pm

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080928-hands-on-with-some-surprising-80-night-vision-goggles.html

The future is here now!  I can't believe how jealous I am of kids toys now. The stuff I had as kid seems so pedestrian and 19th century compared to what's been coming out for kids now.  Night vision goggles that really work?  The best I could hope for even 15 years ago would be fake x-ray goggles that didn't do a damn thing except rip me off.

Video game systems are already more powerful than most desktop computers, providing graphics that make sci-fi channel movies look primitive. The Super Soaker guns that came out in the early nineties put to shame any squirt gun I ever had as kid.

I guess I can take some solace in the fact that now that I have a kid, I can effectively buy toys for myself under the illusion that I'm purchasing them my son.

Subject: Re: That's it... kids are spolied these days. Cheap night vision goggles for kids.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/28/08 at 6:48 pm

I guess I can take some solace in the fact that now that I have a kid, I can effectively buy toys for myself under the illusion that I'm purchasing them my son.

Isn't that why we have kids? ;D

Subject: Re: That's it... kids are spolied these days. Cheap night vision goggles for kids.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/28/08 at 9:33 pm

You can get three pairs of X-Ray Specs over at eBay for $9.95.  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/08 at 8:17 pm

Those night-vision goggles will sure come in handy sneaking out of the house to get wasted when you're 15!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/glasses9.gif

Written By: snozberries on 09/30/08 at 12:38 pm

I would've loved those growing up!!!

Heck for $80 I might just get a pair now.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/30/08 at 11:39 pm

It's a good thing we didn't have those Supersoaker guns 'coz we prolly woulda put more than just water in 'em!
8-P

Subject: Re: That's it... kids are spolied these days. Cheap night vision goggles for ki

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/04/08 at 8:01 pm

Isn't that why we have kids? ;D

The logic goes both ways -- for me, it's one of the fringe benefits of not having kids.  More room in the budget for gadgets!

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/grownups.png

Subject: Re: That's it... kids are spolied these days. Cheap night vision goggles for ki

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/08 at 1:14 am

The logic goes both ways -- for me, it's one of the fringe benefits of not having kids.  More room in the budget for gadgets!

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/grownups.png

I just witnessed that at my brothers's in NYC last weekend!
::)

Written By: Sweet Illest Baby on 10/18/08 at 9:36 am

I feel bad for kids now for not knowing what life was like before technology was everywhere and cheap. Of course being young I only barely know myself.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/18/08 at 11:16 am

I feel bad for kids now for not knowing what life was like before technology was everywhere and cheap. Of course being young I only barely know myself.

It is easy to find out.  Go on a real camping trip.  You don't have to go full bore.  Rent a cabin somewhere, one with just the basics. It takes a few days to get over the anxiety of not having entertainment at your fingertips.

Written By: snozberries on 10/18/08 at 12:31 pm

It is easy to find out.  Go on a real camping trip.  You don't have to go full bore.  Rent a cabin somewhere, one with just the basics. It takes a few days to get over the anxiety of not having entertainment at your fingertips.

try suffering through a blackout that outlasts the battery in your ipod and your laptop  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 10/18/08 at 3:52 pm

try suffering through a blackout that outlasts the battery in your ipod and your laptop  ;D

LOL  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/08 at 11:23 pm

You'll forget all about your X-box Playstation thingie when the psycho-zombie-mutant in the hockey mask shows up!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/grim.gif

Or maybe some of them mountain men...you sher gotta purdy mouth!
:o

Written By: danootaandme on 10/19/08 at 4:31 am

You'll forget all about your X-box Playstation thingie when the psycho-zombie-mutant in the hockey mask shows up!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/grim.gif

Or maybe some of them mountain men...you sher gotta purdy mouth!
:o

One reason I never go camping anymore.  Personally, give me the city with all the accoutrements  ;D .

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/21/08 at 5:50 am

I love camping, we'd  bring our radio, but thats all the technology. It used to be a good time to connect with the family, playing games, cards, making smores. And after the kids were asleep drinking like fish. My hubby fell asleep with his feet too close to the campfire one night and melted the bottom of his sneakers!! We had a 15 ft 35 yr olds "Palamino" trailer. complete with toilet although it didn't work. We used the bathroom for storage and always parked close to the public toilets in the campground. But we had the best times.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/21/08 at 5:10 pm

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081020/NEWS01/310200028

How's this for spoiled these days.  I saw the kid(he looks about 16) and his mother on television very proud of themselves.  What the f?  Shouldn't she have told him the first time that you don't play around cars or windows, and if it goes in someone elses yard, especially the cranky old ladies yard who you like to bait because you know it pisses her off, then it is your tough luck if you lose it.   He way to old to need to be told that.  I'd like to smack to bejesus out of the both of them, but I bet they aren't feeling like heroes now.

Check for new replies or respond here...