inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: They're already getting Christmas stuff in the stores around here

Written By: sonikuu on 10/01/08 at 1:41 am

Well, I went into the grocery store today and what do I see?  A big pine tree with Christmas stuff around it.  There were a bunch of boxes around the area so it appears that they're just setting it up.  

Honestly, am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous?  Christmas gets shoved down your throat so much each it that it literally disgusts me.  Nothing but a shallow and materialistic day thats in your face constantly for at least two months.  By the time the day actually comes around, its hard for me to get into the holiday spirit because its been beaten out of me after having it shoved in my face every day for weeks on end.  The behavior of people on Black Friday is itself also a testament to the stupidity of humanity and the whole holiday season just makes me despise people.  I had to work as a cashier for Christmas season last year during college and I quit once spring arrived.  I honestly grew to dislike many of the customers that came in because of how they acted during this time of the year.

Sorry, just needed to rant for a little bit.  If it weren't for presents I get, I would despise this holiday with every fiber of my being.

Subject: Re: They're already getting Christmas stuff in the stores around here

Written By: Dagwood on 10/01/08 at 7:20 am

I know, I was at Lowe's a couple of weeks ago buying paint.  The Halloween stuff was an endcap and there was an entire aisle of Christmas.  ::)  I love Christmas, but it is a little ridiculous to begin selling stuff in September.

Written By: Jessica on 10/01/08 at 9:16 am

Well, I went into the grocery store today and what do I see?  A big pine tree with Christmas stuff around it.  There were a bunch of boxes around the area so it appears that they're just setting it up.  

Honestly, am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous?  Christmas gets shoved down your throat so much each it that it literally disgusts me.  Nothing but a shallow and materialistic day thats in your face constantly for at least two months.  By the time the day actually comes around, its hard for me to get into the holiday spirit because its been beaten out of me after having it shoved in my face every day for weeks on end.  The behavior of people on Black Friday is itself also a testament to the stupidity of humanity and the whole holiday season just makes me despise people.  I had to work as a cashier for Christmas season last year during college and I quit once spring arrived.  I honestly grew to dislike many of the customers that came in because of how they acted during this time of the year.

Sorry, just needed to rant for a little bit.  If it weren't for presents I get, I would despise this holiday with every fiber of my being.

I would have taken your rant more seriously if your materialistic side hadn't shown up in your last sentence. :)

Written By: Tam on 10/01/08 at 11:55 am

I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!

While I will agree that they do tend to dispay and start selling a little bit early, there are actually people like me who get all of their shopping and prep done way before the season even starts. I am three quarters done, and unfortuantely I am one of those "testaments to the stupidity of humanity". Black Friday is the last day for my shopping. However, I generally know what I want and head to where I can get it, and wind up back home by 10am.

It also makes perfect sense to me why the season is laid out way before it's time. (especially this year). A lot of people don't have hundreds of dollars they can easily drop on the holiday, so giving them enough time to gradually build up their arsenal, piece by piece, makes it easier on them. (Myself included)

And to be honest.... I can't wait for the season to start!!! I finally get to see snow again! Although I am almost positive I will be hating the cold and snow before the season is over! ;)

Tam 8)

Written By: Jessica on 10/01/08 at 12:37 pm

I'm just waiting for the season to start proper so I can begin cooking.  Cookies, cakes, pies, fudge, tamales, and so on.  Hearty soups and stews for winter since it will be cold, warm breads to go with it....yum.

Written By: Tam on 10/01/08 at 12:42 pm

I'm just waiting for the season to start proper so I can begin cooking.  Cookies, cakes, pies, fudge, tamales, and so on.  Hearty soups and stews for winter since it will be cold, warm breads to go with it....yum.

You definitely made my mouth instantly water!!! ;D ;D ;D
I'll send you my address so you can send your cooking my way! ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/01/08 at 12:44 pm

Harrods in Knightsbridge, London has already opened it's Christmas Department, and still have not visited it.

Written By: Jessica on 10/01/08 at 1:18 pm

You definitely made my mouth instantly water!!! ;D ;D ;D
I'll send you my address so you can send your cooking my way! ;)

I promise that I won't send you a fruitcake. :D

Written By: sonikuu on 10/01/08 at 3:10 pm

I would have taken your rant more seriously if your materialistic side hadn't shown up in your last sentence. :)

True.  I despise the hype the holiday gets and the shallow materialism surrounding it, but I certainly won't turn down the free presents.  Perhaps a bit hypocritical, but oh well.

Written By: karen on 10/01/08 at 3:41 pm

But you can prepare for Christmas by buying presents throughout the year.  It's not like it's a surprise when in the year it is, is it?

Written By: whistledog on 10/01/08 at 9:07 pm

The local Zellers here already had Christmas Trees on display in mid-September

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/08 at 10:42 pm

So? Take yer candy apple and shove it up Santa's...how d'ya do!

From the retailer's POV, why should it ever be any other time than Chrismas?

You know, Chriiiiismuuuuus!

:D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/04/08 at 9:21 pm

So? Take yer candy apple and shove it up Santa's...how d'ya do!

From the retailer's POV, why should it ever be any other time than Chrismas?

You know, Chriiiiismuuuuus!

:D

They don't do enough for Halloween.  Yeah, Christmas is nice but I'm all for holiday equality!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/08 at 1:17 am

But you can prepare for Christmas by buying presents throughout the year.  It's not like it's a surprise when in the year it is, is it?

But since it doesn't get cold and snowy anymore, what I care about peppermints and hot chocolate!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tongue11.gif

Written By: sonikuu on 10/06/08 at 3:15 am

They don't do enough for Halloween.  Yeah, Christmas is nice but I'm all for holiday equality!!

Halloween gets plenty of publicity.  Its Thanksgiving that gets the shaft.  By the time Thanksgiving rolls around, the spotlight is pretty much already on Christmas.  Heck, they even put Christmas stuff in Thanksgiving parades!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/08 at 12:13 am

Halloween gets plenty of publicity.  Its Thanksgiving that gets the shaft.  By the time Thanksgiving rolls around, the spotlight is pretty much already on Christmas.  Heck, they even put Christmas stuff in Thanksgiving parades!

Why were there those lame houses in every neighborhood where they handed out apples on Halloween?  WTF?

Check for new replies or respond here...