inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Springsteen and E street Band to play at Superbowl this Year

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/01/08 at 10:10 pm

Yeah One of my favorite bands is playing at the Superbowl. I swell with hometown pride. I remember getting into the bar to see them for a
.50 cent cover charge which included a drink. I wonder who will play keybords now with Danny Federici gone?

Subject: Re: Springsteen and E street Band to play at Superbowl this Year

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/08 at 10:31 pm

So long as Bruce doesn't show the folks his package, we should be good to go!
:D

Written By: whistledog on 10/01/08 at 10:37 pm

So long as Bruce doesn't show the folks his package, we should be good to go!

Bruce won't, but I don't know about Max Weinberg though.  Those gags on Conan that protray him to be a sex crazed sicko are sometimes too much ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/08 at 10:49 pm

Bruce won't, but I don't know about Max Weinberg though.  Those gags on Conan that protray him to be a sex crazed sicko are sometimes too much ;D

Sometimes Conan drifts too far into South Park material for a "Tonight Show" type of gig. 
I guess everybody says that as they crack up!
;D

I'd like to see Bruce Stringbean do "Glory Days" at half-time.  The public didn't get the irony in 1985....and they won't get it today.
:-\\

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/04/08 at 8:35 pm

I'd like to see Bruce Stringbean do "Glory Days" at half-time.  The public didn't get the irony in 1985....and they won't get it today. :-\\

Trifecta in play: Born in the USA, Glory Days, and finish it up with 57 Channels and Nothin' On (There's A Riot Goin' On)

After the events of the past two weeks (and what's yet to come between now and the Super Bowl), they'll figure it out. 

And if that doesn't cause a fuss, hey, he can always flash a nipple.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/08 at 1:12 am

Yeah, but Sarah Palin would pick "Glory Days" as her campaign theme song and never get the irony!

FOX is already Swifboating Obama as a Malcolm X figure!
:P

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/07/08 at 12:02 am

Yeah, but Sarah Palin would pick "Glory Days" as her campaign theme song and never get the irony!

Hey, ya gotta admit that when it came to revitalizing the McCain campaign... baby, she was born to run!

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/07/08 at 6:01 am

FOX is already Swifboating Obama as a Malcolm X figure!
:P

Fox can suck my big fat toe.. I can't stomach Fox news. I really only tolerate CNN, and of course our local news. But they are really biased, at least they stopped being Caysee Anthony all the time. For a while anyway until it heats up again.
And Nancy Grace makes me want to throw som,ething at the T.V.
I miss Peter Jennings :\'( :\'(

Written By: Satish on 10/08/08 at 3:19 pm

I'm a huge Springsteen fan(he might be my favourite artist of all time), so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing him play at the Superbowl!  :)

I'd like to see Bruce Stringbean do "Glory Days" at half-time.  The public didn't get the irony in 1985....and they won't get it today.
:-\\

"Glory Days" is ironic? I don't think I see what you mean.....  ???

Please explain.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/08 at 8:15 pm

I'm a huge Springsteen fan(he might be my favourite artist of all time), so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing him play at the Superbowl!  :)

"Glory Days" is ironic? I don't think I see what you mean.....  ???

Please explain.

Find the lyrics and read them.  It skewers the way Americans let life peak at 18 with the "glory days" of high school sports and social popularity, and 20 years later find themselves in dead-end jobs and getting drunk in bars.
::)

Written By: Satish on 10/08/08 at 10:02 pm

Find the lyrics and read them.  It skewers the way Americans let life peak at 18 with the "glory days" of high school sports and social popularity, and 20 years later find themselves in dead-end jobs and getting drunk in bars.

Well, I always thought the message of the song was more universal, being applicable to life in general. It reflects the way that life follows a downward path that ultimately ends in death. After all, on the day people die, and they've got nothing else to look forward to, their "glory days" are all they've got left to look back on.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/08 at 12:44 am

Well, I always thought the message of the song was more universal, being applicable to life in general. It reflects the way that life follows a downward path that ultimately ends in death. After all, on the day people die, and they've got nothing else to look forward to, their "glory days" are all they've got left to look back on.

And that's not th message you want to send in a political campign, plus Bruce did it any a very celebratory, anthemic manner.  It wasn't some moody old Paul Simon song, there again lies the irony.  Nobody would take "My Little Town" as an anthm.  It's a real downer and it feels like one. If you listen to how upbeat Bruce makes "Dancing in the Dark" and then listen to the lyrics, it was an act of musical genius to make it high energy!

Written By: Satish on 10/10/08 at 11:03 pm

And that's not th message you want to send in a political campign, plus Bruce did it any a very celebratory, anthemic manner.  It wasn't some moody old Paul Simon song, there again lies the irony.  Nobody would take "My Little Town" as an anthm.  It's a real downer and it feels like one. If you listen to how upbeat Bruce makes "Dancing in the Dark" and then listen to the lyrics, it was an act of musical genius to make it high energy!

Considering the actual meaning of the lyrics to "Glory Days" and "Dancing in the Dark," I kind of think that the fact they're sung in a celebratory, high energy manner indicates a desire to persevere and push ahead in the face of negative conditions, as opposed to whining and wallowing in them.

Written By: Satish on 01/26/09 at 11:18 pm

Well, it's less than a week to go before Bruce and the gang take the stage at the Superbowl. Anyone have any predictions as to what songs they'll play?

They'll probably have time for a set of about four songs. The Superbowl isn't the kind of place where you can get away with playing anything obscure, so I think they'll stick to their big hits that everyone knows. Here's my picks for what I think their set's going to be:

"The Rising"
"Dancing in the Dark"
"Hungry Heart"
"Born to Run"

"The Rising" is one of their more recent hits, so I'm pretty sure they'll play it. And "Born to Run" is their signature song, so they'll probably use it to close the show. One might have thought they'd play "Born in the USA," but I think the political nature of the song would make it out of place at the Superbowl.

The Superbowl's the kind of place that's more suited to high energy, upbeat songs, so I'm sure they'll avoid their more mellow, sombre numbers(but then, someone else might feel that "Streets of Philadelphia" and "I'm on Fire" could work at the Superbowl).

Also, they've got a new song out now called "Working on a Dream," so there's an off-chance they could work that in their set.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/27/09 at 12:16 am

Springsteen's "Glory Days" were when he was married to Julianne Phillips, and was photoed by papparazzi, partying with Patty Scialfa.

Guy certainly needed glasses...

Written By: whistledog on 01/27/09 at 1:55 pm

Springsteen's "Glory Days" were when he was married to Julianne Phillips, and was photoed by papparazzi, partying with Patty Scialfa.

Guy certainly needed glasses...

Springsteen didn't belong with Julianne.  He wanted kids, she didn't.  It was a mismatch
She was better off romancing Chevy Chase in 'Fletch Lives' ;D

Written By: Satish on 02/01/09 at 7:52 pm

Well, it's less than a week to go before Bruce and the gang take the stage at the Superbowl. Anyone have any predictions as to what songs they'll play?

They'll probably have time for a set of about four songs. The Superbowl isn't the kind of place where you can get away with playing anything obscure, so I think they'll stick to their big hits that everyone knows. Here's my picks for what I think their set's going to be:

"The Rising"
"Dancing in the Dark"
"Hungry Heart"
"Born to Run"

"The Rising" is one of their more recent hits, so I'm pretty sure they'll play it. And "Born to Run" is their signature song, so they'll probably use it to close the show. One might have thought they'd play "Born in the USA," but I think the political nature of the song would make it out of place at the Superbowl.

The Superbowl's the kind of place that's more suited to high energy, upbeat songs, so I'm sure they'll avoid their more mellow, sombre numbers(but then, someone else might feel that "Streets of Philadelphia" and "I'm on Fire" could work at the Superbowl).

Also, they've got a new song out now called "Working on a Dream," so there's an off-chance they could work that in their set.

They just did the half time show for this year's Super Bowl. Here's what the play-list was:

"10th Avenue Freeze-Out"
"Born to Run"
"Working on a Dream"
"Glory Days"

Boy, my guesses weren't even close!  ;D

I can't believe they played "10th Avenue Freeze-Out." I hate that song! It's like the worst song off the Born to Run album.

They played "Glory Days," so I suppose Max should be happy. They changed the lines in the first verse from being about baseball to football, which was probably appropriate.

Written By: Silver Power on 02/01/09 at 8:05 pm

I thought the HT show was charismatic, but awful. Instead of dwelling in the past, they should gt more modern artists. They've been very cautionary of new artists since the wardrobe malfunction, but seriously, the past is the past. If I wanted to hear Bruce Springsteen play at a Halftime show, I would have watched it 30 years ago. However, if Queen + Paul Rodgers played the Superbowl, I'd be more than satisfied. :D

Written By: whistledog on 02/01/09 at 8:41 pm

I thought the HT show was charismatic, but awful. Instead of dwelling in the past, they should gt more modern artists. They've been very cautionary of new artists since the wardrobe malfunction, but seriously, the past is the past. If I wanted to hear Bruce Springsteen play at a Halftime show, I would have watched it 30 years ago. However, if Queen + Paul Rodgers played the Superbowl, I'd be more than satisfied. :D

But Queen isn't a modern artist which throws out your whole argument ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/01/09 at 9:54 pm

The BOSS.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/01/09 at 9:59 pm

I thought he was pretty good.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/02/09 at 12:05 am

Did you ever see a one-legged dog making his way down the street?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/02/09 at 3:43 am

10th Avenue Freezeout is my favorite Springsteen song.

Loved it.  ;)

Written By: Silver Power on 02/02/09 at 5:50 am

But Queen isn't a modern artist which throws out your whole argument ;D

No, that's why I used the word 'HOWEVER'. xD I was saying I would like to see a modern artist play, but I'd also be happy if Q+PR played.

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/06/09 at 8:19 am

It was okay.

Any way to watch next years Halftime Show on YouTube?

Check for new replies or respond here...