inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who else thinks reality shows are highly degrading to women?

Written By: Frenchie on 10/02/08 at 10:23 am

I sure do!

Subject: Re: Who else thinks reality shows are highly degrading to women?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/08 at 10:34 am

Any particular reality shows or all of them in general?

Written By: snozberries on 10/02/08 at 11:21 am

nope I think the women who go on these shows and act that way are highly degrading to themselves.

And Philip is right- you're generalizing so I will put out there that the women I speak of are the ones who go on these so-called dating/find the "love" of your life  ::) shows.

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/02/08 at 11:50 am

nope I think the women who go on these shows and act that way are highly degrading to themselves.

And Philip is right- you're generalizing so I will put out there that the women I speak of are the ones who go on these so-called dating/find the "love" of your life  ::) shows.

Four words The Flava Of Love, what a disgusting piece of sheeshe those shows are. And no I think the women put themselves in that position.
Crap like the bachlor, who watches this stuff, the brain dead?

Written By: Jessica on 10/02/08 at 11:53 am

Ditto that.

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/02/08 at 12:34 pm

No one steps on you unless you lie down!  As stated above, there are plenty of low-rent individuals who will debase themselves for love or money.

Written By: snozberries on 10/02/08 at 1:13 pm

No one steps on you unless you lie down!  As stated above, there are plenty of low-rent individuals who will debase themselves for love or money.

it's not even for love... its a little about the money but mostly all about being on the teebee.

Written By: woops on 10/02/08 at 2:39 pm

Reality shows are degrading to the human race in general...  8-P

Written By: snozberries on 10/02/08 at 3:22 pm

not all of them.

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/02/08 at 4:02 pm

Granted, I don't watch much tv but "So You Think You Can Dance" is not degrading at all.  I don't watch it all that often, but whenever I do, it really showcases wonderful dancers and their talent! 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/02/08 at 4:22 pm

A lot of them are degrading to the all of us because they think we (the audience) have an IQ of say, 1 which is why I don't normally watch them.  ::)

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/08 at 6:19 pm

Ditto that.

Double ditto your ditto! 

If anything on TV is highly degrading to women, it's the commercials.
::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/03/08 at 1:14 am

Why would these shows be seen as degrading?  Seems like people are trying to project their own values/judgement on the participants.

Written By: snozberries on 10/03/08 at 1:41 am

Why would these shows be seen as degrading?  Seems like people are trying to project their own values/judgement on the participants.

so you've never seen Rock of Love, Flavor of Love, I Love New York, or a Shot of love with Tela Tequila?  And that show with the meat guy... I don't know which the one Joel McHale (The Soup) talks about all the time.

The women, and men on those shows degrade themselves frequently and that is using a moral compass called oh I don't know humanity.  These shows and contestants step way over the decency line.....

I just disagree with Frenchie (or whoever) that all reality shows are degrading to women...

Written By: whistledog on 10/04/08 at 11:00 am

Reality shows are unscripted.  The only degrading thing is the contestants who put themselves on these shows

Written By: snozberries on 10/04/08 at 12:57 pm

Reality shows are unscripted.  The only degrading thing is the contestants who put themselves on these shows

Isn't the Hills scripted (or loosely scripted) whatever it still sucks and those girls definitely degrade themselves.

Written By: Nintendo 64 on 10/04/08 at 3:14 pm

Yeah. And Im tired of pre-teen girls whining how they want to look like the people on Americas Next Top Model.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/08 at 1:04 am

Hey, man, we need standards.  And since I'm the guy saying we need standards I get to decide which standards we need!
:D

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/06/08 at 2:17 am

I just saw the finale of "I Love Money", the VH1 reality show.

The finale was indeed a showcase of woman power.  Contestant Megan (the professional reality show contestant, wearing her everpresent bikini) refused to be judged by her fellow women and instead stepped down in a show of strength.

And in the final competition, the top female contestant, Hoopz, beat out White Boy (he was the wigger) quite handily.

Degrading to women?  I think not.

Written By: Kryllith on 10/09/08 at 12:30 pm

Yeap, though in a few cases the reality shows push for it. I know that on Elimindate (and probably on the spin-offs as well) there they been numerous times when the production crew have encouraged the "contestants" to bicker, even when they didn't want to, in order to create drama and boost ratings.

Written By: snozberries on 10/09/08 at 3:00 pm

Yeap, though in a few cases the reality shows push for it. I know that on Elimindate (and probably on the spin-offs as well) there they been numerous times when the production crew have encouraged the "contestants" to bicker, even when they didn't want to, in order to create drama and boost ratings.

Ah but you miss the point...by simply appearing on something called Elimidate...you have already degraded yourself...the production crew just tried to make it a more entertaining degradation  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 10/09/08 at 5:59 pm

I think that we women are degrading ourselves.

Written By: Kryllith on 10/09/08 at 11:59 pm

Ah but you miss the point...by simply appearing on something called Elimidate...you have already degraded yourself...the production crew just tried to make it a more entertaining degradation  ;D

Given the people that are typically displayed on the show, I'm inclined to agree with you, especially as seasons pass. Course, I'm interested in viewing the screening process, especially in the earliest shows, to find out if anyone actually took it seriously but simply was discarded for not being potentially caustic.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/10/08 at 10:07 am

Think of all the perps on "Cops," like the drunk guy in his underwear standing outside his trailer waving a baseball bat.  If their faces aren't blurred, that means they gave siigned consent.  Some idiots will do ANYTHING to get on TV!

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/12/08 at 9:47 pm

Tonite I saw the premiere of Rock of Love Charm School , which features Sharon Osbourne as the MFWIC and where the contestants are sort of all-stars from Rock of Love with Bret Michaels.

In this show Sharon teaches the gals how to behave a little more classy.

I'm not sure why Destiney Sue Walker  :-*  is on this show though.  She is as fine and classy as they come.  She don't belong on the show.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/08 at 12:39 am

Yeah. And Im tired of pre-teen girls whining how they want to look like the people on Americas Next Top Model.

Meh, it wasn't much better 30 years ago.  My sister wanted to be Farrah Fawcett when she was 10.  The sleaze factor is the real difference.  The stuff they're marketing to kids nowadays was stuff for transsexual hookers on 8th Avenue when I was a kid (and I didn't even know what a transsexual was...at least until I was 11 or so  :o )

Written By: danootaandme on 10/13/08 at 7:33 am

It is not the pre-teen whining I object to, it is the people who are producing pre-teens who whine. 

Written By: Guest on 10/13/08 at 6:42 pm

so you've never seen Rock of Love, Flavor of Love, I Love New York, or a Shot of love with Tela Tequila?  And that show with the meat guy... I don't know which the one Joel McHale (The Soup) talks about all the time.

The women, and men on those shows degrade themselves frequently and that is using a moral compass called oh I don't know humanity.  These shows and contestants step way over the decency line.....

I just disagree with Frenchie (or whoever) that all reality shows are degrading to women...

Reality shows are incredibly degrading and dehumanizing especially to women.  Yeah for every "The Bachelor" and "Flavor of Love" there's an "I Love New York" and "The Bachelorette"....however, I do feel very strongly that women are 100% superior to men in every way and they're the ones being so horribly exploited in these shows...even in shows like "The Bachelorette" and "I Love New York".  While we're on the subject, my fiance and I were watching "The Ex List" and both of us strongly feel that show sets women back 100 years by making them dependent on finding a man! 

Written By: snozberries on 10/13/08 at 7:28 pm

It is not the pre-teen whining I object to, it is the people who are producing pre-teens who whine. 

karma for this!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/08 at 7:56 pm

You'll have to speak to my sisters about that!
;)

Written By: midnite on 10/13/08 at 8:49 pm

I agree 100%.  Any person (male or female) on a reality show, who acts like a fool, has a decision whether to act that way or not.  Even if they are compensated for it, it is their decision.

Now, I have heard rumors that the Editors in the Cutting Room dice certain parts up to add "drama" and make people worse or more dramatic than they really are. 

Written By: snozberries on 10/13/08 at 10:10 pm

I agree 100%.  Any person (male or female) on a reality show, who acts like a fool, has a decision whether to act that way or not.  Even if they are compensated for it, it is their decision.

Now, I have heard rumors that the Editors in the Cutting Room dice certain parts up to add "drama" and make people worse or more dramatic than they really are. 

the rumors of editing are also true....however, the editors cannot put in something that's not there so the person who gets edited...still acted that way at some point.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/14/08 at 4:31 pm

Reality shows are incredibly degrading and dehumanizing especially to women.  Yeah for every "The Bachelor" and "Flavor of Love" there's an "I Love New York" and "The Bachelorette"....however, I do feel very strongly that women are 100% superior to men in every way and they're the ones being so horribly exploited in these shows...even in shows like "The Bachelorette" and "I Love New York".  While we're on the subject, my fiance and I were watching "The Ex List" and both of us strongly feel that show sets women back 100 years by making them dependent on finding a man! 

It's Debbie/Denise all over again!!!! ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/14/08 at 8:53 pm

Well, alot of the girls themselves probably aren't too classy either, so it kinda goes both ways (still doesn't mean I condone horndog guys talking about them in a certain way, though). In a way I think when they act or dress slutty, it sends a message that all women are like that, so really it kinda gives girls AND guys a bad name.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/14/08 at 11:13 pm

Well, alot of the girls themselves probably aren't too classy either, so it kinda goes both ways (still doesn't mean I condone horndog guys talking about them in a certain way, though). In a way I think when they act or dress slutty, it sends a message that all women are like that, so really it kinda gives girls AND guys a bad name.

Well, it's like the bubbleheads on Howard Stern.  I dunno why you do that, but no one's pointing a gun at your head and you're over 18, so....free will kicks in!

Check for new replies or respond here...