inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anybody watch "Pushing Daisies"?

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 10/11/08 at 5:03 pm

How many Ned-heads have we got on this messageboard?  ;D With all the news of the Writer's Strike last year, I had no idea season 1 was ever on, and I assumed it had been cancelled/not picked up. So I was shocked when I saw it was entering its 2nd season with my being completely oblivious to the first. I've been watching Season 2 like crazy so far and watching season 1 online at abc.com when eps are available.

Now I'm hearing about the low ratings this season, and the low ratings of everything else on TV, and the fans are all worried about a possible cancellation (God forbid).  :-\\ I want to see more of Ned, Chuck, Emerson, Olive, and the rest of the gang for many more years to come... and I especially want to see Daeg Faerch (Young Michael Myers in Rob Zombie's "Halloween"... and French bully Michel in "Hancock") guest star twice as Ingmar in the flashbacks with Young Ned.

Are there any Pie Hole Soldiers willing to watch the show and save it from cancellation? Also feel free to discuss the show. :)

Subject: Re: Does anybody watch "Pushing Daisies"?

Written By: snozberries on 10/11/08 at 5:13 pm

I love the show and the cast is as hilarious in person as they are on screen.  Brian Fuller is an excellent writer and the show is one of the most creative on TV. The fact that it got a shot at a second season is a shocker because like all well done shows (I love) it should've been canceled.

I had a chance to go to an event honoring the cast in March and I get to go to another one in Nov. I will share pics and stories then

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/11/08 at 5:46 pm

I love this show!  Although I (gasp) haven't been watching much prime time television lately.  Just not been in the mood.

Probably my fave scene so far was Olive singing "Hopelessly devoted to you" and dancing with Digby  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbe1m30RS8c

Written By: snozberries on 10/11/08 at 5:49 pm

I love this show!  Although I (gasp) haven't been watching much prime time television lately.  Just not been in the mood.

Probably my fave scene so far was Olive singing "Hopelessly devoted to you" and dancing with Digby  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbe1m30RS8c

That was AWESOME!

Written By: NbC on 10/12/08 at 6:44 am

I have watched every episode and certainly hope it doesn't get cancelled.  I had my daughter watch the first two episodes of season 2 with me and she thought it was a bit different but she enjoyed it.  It has such a great feel. 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/12/08 at 7:03 am

There's only one nitpick that I have with the above scene with Kristin singing.  She does the song to perfection (How many times have I wanted to break out into song for no reason other then to express what's in my heart...but alas I don't work in a pie shop.)  Anyway, Olive clearly puts the chair up onto the table at 1:45 then steps back and dances and sings, then at 2:20 she sits down in the chair that she had previously put up on the table only 30 seconds before.  But it's still a charming scene.  lol

Written By: snozberries on 10/12/08 at 10:03 am

There's only one nitpick that I have with the above scene with Kristin singing.  She does the song to perfection (How many times have I wanted to break out into song for no reason other then to express what's in my heart...but alas I don't work in a pie shop.)  Anyway, Olive clearly puts the chair up onto the table at 1:45 then steps back and dances and sings, then at 2:20 she sits down in the chair that she had previously put up on the table only 30 seconds before.  But it's still a charming scene.  lol

I missed that! Good eye Patty.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 10/15/08 at 4:35 pm

Just a friendly little reminder: It's on again tonight. same Bat-time, same Bat-channel  ;D

You have got to see this show, if you haven't already. I'll keep it brief, but in this episode, the team has to discover whether a nun at Olive's nunnery was murdered or committed suicide. Interest premise tonight, it's got me interested.

And with the fact that "Knight Rider" is a rerun and "Bones" is off due to FOX MLB Baseball, I predict that (word-of-mouth aside) PD's ratings will boost big time. I mean its only competition is the hour of CBS' "Old Christine" and "Gary Unmarried." Ehh... not much of a threat tonight.  ::) The only other possible (cable TV) threat is the tag team of Stewart & Colbert (except I don't know if either show will run against each other in the mountain time zone). It won't hurt to skip Comedy Central tonight. Besides, what do they have that CNN doesn't (except not as funny)?

Keep Ned's touch going strong. :)

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 10/15/08 at 5:03 pm

I really love this show! The writing is incredible (everyone talks sooo fast!), the set designs and special effects are stellar and of course the acting is superb! (Kristen Chenoweth is da bomb)...Totally love Ned & Chuck. So sad Chuck moved into her own apartment.  :( I really hope and pray this show is not a casualty of the ratings!

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 10/22/08 at 6:16 pm

Bump! Just a friendly reminder. Tonight "Pushing Daisies" will be the only thing on at 8/7 Central. David Arquette and Debra Mooney guest star. Be sure to watch the fun! :) Tonight 8/7 Central ABC.

Written By: Jessica on 10/23/08 at 10:42 am

I should start watching it.  I love Lee Pace.

Written By: snozberries on 10/23/08 at 4:47 pm

I should start watching it.  I love Lee Pace.

you should start watching because of Lee Pace.... and because it's Fricking Hilarious!

Last's weeks ep Chi McBride, Lee Pace and Anna Friel were investigating the murder of a nun in a convent. They went undercover of VPD...Vatican Police  ;D 

Chi McBride: "I'm Father Dowling, this Father Mulcahy and Sister Christian"

Later on the head nun says: "Sister Christian is nothing but a heavy-petting power ballad."
Chi McBride: "We're motorin'."

;D ;D ;D

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 10/29/08 at 6:49 pm

Just a quick reminder to watch the show tonight @ 8/7 Central on ABC. You can watch Obama's ad later, on CNN.

Written By: snozberries on 10/29/08 at 8:53 pm

I'm meeting Brian Fuller and other writers next month so if you have anything you want me to tell them post it here.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/29/08 at 8:54 pm

Just a quick reminder to watch the show tonight @ 8/7 Central on ABC. You can watch Obama's ad later, on CNN.

Thanks for the reminding.  I had forgotten again.  I took a break from cleaning (yes, I really WAS cleaning) and watched the episode.  I was not disappointed as usual.  However now, I am craving Dim Sum.  :-[

Written By: snozberries on 10/29/08 at 8:55 pm

Thanks for the reminding.  I had forgotten again.  I took a break from cleaning (yes, I really WAS cleaning) and watched the episode.  I was not disappointed as usual.  However now, I am craving Dim Sum.   :-[

ABC is the only network I don't get an east coast feed of... so I am totally jealous right now!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/29/08 at 8:58 pm

ABC is the only network I don't get an east coast feed of... so I am totally jealous right now!

Well...all I can say is, make sure you have eaten before you watch the episode, unless of course, you don't like Chinese food/appetisers.  If not, then you are ok.  Sucks that we're broke and all the Chinese places are probably closed anyway for tonight.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 10/29/08 at 8:59 pm

Well...all I can say is, make sure you have eaten before you watch the episode, unless of course, you don't like Chinese food/appetisers.  If not, then you are ok.  Sucks that we're broke and all the Chinese places are probably closed anyway for tonight.   ;D

yeah Dim Sum is not my thing... I'm anticipating a Dim Sum More joke! am I right?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/29/08 at 9:56 pm

yeah Dim Sum is not my thing... I'm anticipating a Dim Sum More joke! am I right?

I'll never tell.  I'll never tell.  Any of you. 

(I tried finding the soundbite of this quote from the Brittany Murphy film "Don't day a word" and I ended up wasting a hour looking for it, distracted by other things.  I have such a short attention span.)

Written By: snozberries on 10/30/08 at 1:43 am

I'll never tell.  I'll never tell.  Any of you. 

(I tried finding the soundbite of this quote from the Brittany Murphy film "Don't day a word" and I ended up wasting a hour looking for it, distracted by other things.  I have such a short attention span.)
\

You say I'll never tell and I hear this from  Buffy the Vampire Layer Slayer- Once More With Feeling

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/11/08 at 4:52 pm

I do!

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/08 at 1:31 am

Okay so I went to the discussions with the writers of this show and they screened the episode that airs tomorrow (today for those of you in the East Coast)

It is so funny! It is also the first show for November Sweeps so it's important you watch.

Chris you wanna save the show you better organize sending pies, daisies and anything else you can think of to ABC.  According to Brian Fuller (the creator) they are finishing up the 13th (and final episode of the season) this week and no one has called them about renewing for season 3 .

He said they will end the season with one of the storylines they have dangled in front us with a big cliff hanger but some storylines will have to be tied up in comic books and (hopefully) a movie if the show does not come back next year.

I have spoilers if you want but won't say if you don't.

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/08 at 7:47 pm

I forgot about the awards show today.... the episode of Pushing Daisies they showed was next weeks episode. It guest stars Fred Willard as a magician.... It's really funny

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 11/18/08 at 5:28 pm

It's mighty time to bump this up again!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/annoyed.gif

Tomorrow night is the BIG EVENT -- possibly the deciding factor on whether the show stays or goes after episode 2.13 airs in January. I'm nervous, worried, relentless, and optimistic at the same time. It's a tough line to cross, but what other emotions can you have when your show is in danger of cancellation, and you feel that the fans' efforts will be rewarded and pay off BIG TIME! Major news sources such as CNN, KISS-FM stations, Z100 stations, The Bob and Tom Show, Ausiello (EW), ET Insider, KYIS-FM OKC, Extra, and Access Hollywood have been emailed and asked to publicize the campaign/mass mail-in, and tell people to watch the big November 19th event. There are reports that talk shows are talking about PD's possible cancellation, and (Thank God for this) Knight Rider's ratings have dropped, from what I've heard.

This could all be good news down at the Pie Hole. let's hope so.  :( I don't want to see it go.  :\'(

Written By: snozberries on 11/18/08 at 5:47 pm

:-\\  guess Chris doesn't read my posts. 

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 11/20/08 at 4:51 pm

:-\\   guess Chris doesn't read my posts. 

I read everybody's posts in this thread. Why do you ask?  :)

The good news and the bad news...  :-\\

The good news, Ned stole KITT and ran over Knight Rider and kicked his ass in the ratings! BOO-YA!  8)

And the bad news... unfortunately, it was a record low for the Pie Hole.  :\'( Dammit, not even Fred Willard (FRED WILLARD!!!) could boost the ratings! I guess from now on, Daeg Faerch needs to appear in EVERY EPISODE  if the show ever stands a chance at decent ratings (either that, or a black man runs for president every week and buys the 8/7  time slot every Wednesday until PD can maintain strong, consistent ratings independently).

This is indeed NOT the end of the show if I have anything to say about it. I'm gonna get uglier, more aggressive, push the Daisies as far as they can possibly be pushed. Now would be a good time to extend the November 3rd-19th massive mail-in even longer. Let's extend the campaign until the show's positive fate is sealed! WE THE FANS WILL NOT LET THIS SHOW GET CANCELED!! We must let it LIVE!!!

Sorry if I'm getting too high-strung over this, but desperate times call for desperate measures. A voice in the movie Field of Dreams said "If you build it, they will come." We have been building this thing for so long, yet almost nobody comes! It's a huge disappointment when it shouldn't be. People should be watching this show religiously every Wednesday @ 8/7 Central on ABC (Plug, plug) (Not to mention, LIVE AS IT AIRS rather than DVR or TiVo). This needs to be a watercooler show:

JILL: "Hey, Bob, did you watch Pushing Daisies last night?"
BOB: "Yeah, Jill, only an idiot would choose not to watch that show."
PAM: "In fact, Jill, more people watch Pushing Daisies than The Office. It's currently ABC's highest-rated show since LOST"
DWIGHT (This is an office, right?  ;D): "Oh, damn, I have to work this Wednesday at (local time that PD airs in your area). Maybe I can DVR!"
BOB: "No! No DVR, Dwight! Ask Michael (Again, The Office  ::)) if you can go home early that night, and watch it live as it airs; it's more beneficial to the ratings. Remember when you missed it and the Fred Willard episode lost its ratings?"
DWIGHT: "You're right, Bob. That was foolish. I'll watch it live this time."

-- if only PD as many viewers as, or more than, The Office.  :-\\ Both shows are great.

Letterman and Leno need to constantly name-check the show every night and make at least 12 jokes related to the show in their respective opening monologues. Where's the MAD Magazine parody? Where are the references on The Simpsons, Family Guy, and, heck, even South Park? Where are the references on other shows?: Why isn't The Office or Ugly Betty, or even Knight Rider making references to PD ever? Maybe The Office can remake the Halloween episode, and instead of everybody dressing up as The Joker, they all dress up as Emerson (blackface and all)? Or Ned? Or Michael Knight can be called to duty, and he says tO KITT or something, "I can't work now! Pushing Daisies is on! I never miss that show!" Or he can tell KITT to DVR Pushing Daisies.

Sorry if I'm trailing in with a ninsensical post, but I am ready to restart the battle to save Pushing Daisies. To quote Daughtry: It's not over, and to quote the Carpenters: We've only just begun.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/20/08 at 9:19 pm

Unfortunatlty, the show has ended, due to lack of interest...  :\'(

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/pushing-daisies/abc-cancels-pushing-daisies-di-24707.aspx?pollid=3001283&answer=3004282#poll3001283

Gosh darn you, ABC.  >:(

Written By: snozberries on 11/20/08 at 10:08 pm

I read everybody's posts in this thread. Why do you ask?  :)

The good news and the bad news...  :-\\

The good news, Ned stole KITT and ran over Knight Rider and kicked his ass in the ratings! BOO-YA!  8)

And the bad news... unfortunately, it was a record low for the Pie Hole.  :\'( Dammit, not even Fred Willard (FRED WILLARD!!!) could boost the ratings! I guess from now on, Daeg Faerch needs to appear in EVERY EPISODE  if the show ever stands a chance at decent ratings (either that, or a black man runs for president every week and buys the 8/7  time slot every Wednesday until PD can maintain strong, consistent ratings independently).

This is indeed NOT the end of the show if I have anything to say about it. I'm gonna get uglier, more aggressive, push the Daisies as far as they can possibly be pushed. Now would be a good time to extend the November 3rd-19th massive mail-in even longer. Let's extend the campaign until the show's positive fate is sealed! WE THE FANS WILL NOT LET THIS SHOW GET CANCELED!! We must let it LIVE!!!

Sorry if I'm getting too high-strung over this, but desperate times call for desperate measures. A voice in the movie Field of Dreams said "If you build it, they will come." We have been building this thing for so long, yet almost nobody comes! It's a huge disappointment when it shouldn't be. People should be watching this show religiously every Wednesday @ 8/7 Central on ABC (Plug, plug) (Not to mention, LIVE AS IT AIRS rather than DVR or TiVo). This needs to be a watercooler show:

JILL: "Hey, Bob, did you watch Pushing Daisies last night?"
BOB: "Yeah, Jill, only an idiot would choose not to watch that show."
PAM: "In fact, Jill, more people watch Pushing Daisies than The Office. It's currently ABC's highest-rated show since LOST"
DWIGHT (This is an office, right?  ;D): "Oh, damn, I have to work this Wednesday at (local time that PD airs in your area). Maybe I can DVR!"
BOB: "No! No DVR, Dwight! Ask Michael (Again, The Office  ::)) if you can go home early that night, and watch it live as it airs; it's more beneficial to the ratings. Remember when you missed it and the Fred Willard episode lost its ratings?"
DWIGHT: "You're right, Bob. That was foolish. I'll watch it live this time."

-- if only PD as many viewers as, or more than, The Office.  :-\\ Both shows are great.

Letterman and Leno need to constantly name-check the show every night and make at least 12 jokes related to the show in their respective opening monologues. Where's the MAD Magazine parody? Where are the references on The Simpsons, Family Guy, and, heck, even South Park? Where are the references on other shows?: Why isn't The Office or Ugly Betty, or even Knight Rider making references to PD ever? Maybe The Office can remake the Halloween episode, and instead of everybody dressing up as The Joker, they all dress up as Emerson (blackface and all)? Or Ned? Or Michael Knight can be called to duty, and he says tO KITT or something, "I can't work now! Pushing Daisies is on! I never miss that show!" Or he can tell KITT to DVR Pushing Daisies.

Sorry if I'm trailing in with a ninsensical post, but I am ready to restart the battle to save Pushing Daisies. To quote Daughtry: It's not over, and to quote the Carpenters: We've only just begun.

You never responded to my posts about meeting Brian Fuller and the other creative minds behind the show...

did you send your pies and daisies to the execs at ABC?

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 11/21/08 at 5:31 pm

You never responded to my posts about meeting Brian Fuller and the other creative minds behind the show...

Oh. How was the meeting? Was it fun, was it tense? How was the mood, the atomosphere? Did you ask them any questions?

did you send your pies and daisies to the execs at ABC?

I sent a snail mail letter and a few emails (One was a complaint about the lack of advertising and others were complimentary). I signed the petition twice, though I may sign it more. I watched every episode on ABC (live as they aired when I could, DVR'd other times). I watched online at ABC.com; heck, I even let it play wuithout watching it so that ABC could at least get some ad revenue from the sponsors; I also played a few ads twice for ad revenue purposes.

If anybody goes to see 007: QOS or Twilight anytime soon, maybe you can tell the ticket person what you're seing the movie because you saw the ads during "Pushing Daisies." At least you'd be spreading the word.  ;D

I did as much as I could, and the show is "officially" "canceled" by ABC, but the fight is not over. I am planning on spreading the word in the form of some parodies, I have a few Beatles and Night Ranger (did you see the "Bad Habits" episode?) parodies in mind, and I just might do a whole rock opera/album parody much like Nickelodeon Idiot (Hard to believe that was 2 years ago  :o)... but I need some album suggestions, maybe something that already has a linear storyline, or already is a rock opera. It would give me parodies to write, and I'd also be promoting the show at the same time. Saving PD has kept me from writing parodies for far too long.

Other fans have suggested surrounding ABC's headquaters with protest lines such as

"ABC killed Chuck, twice!"
"Emerson Cod needs money badly!"
"Who's going to take care of Digby?"
"We want Chuck! No, not that Chuck!"
"Where's Ned's father?!?"
"ABC Kills Relationships and Dreams!"
"ABC killed my desire to eat pie anymore!"

Source: http://abc.go.com/primetime/pushingdaisies/index?pn=mb&cat=25218&tid=510089

I would add to the list:

"What will become of Ingmar Todd?"
"Is Bryan Fuller cursed?"
"ABC is the new FOX!"
"Nielsen kills baby shows!"
"Kill Nielsen!"
"Everybody's ratings count!"
And finally... "Non-Nielsens are viewers, too!"

I was hoping to wake up and find that it was all a big nightmare. Right now, it's a 13-hour bad dream I'm having and can't wake up from. Let all of us PD fans band together and pull a Family Guy on ABFox... er, I mean ABC.

Written By: snozberries on 11/22/08 at 3:48 pm

I did have a great time. The writers are funny people but you can probably tell that from the show.

I wish ABC had sent an exec out because the theater was packed! The event was completely sold out!

Bryan Fuller knew the axe was coming tho and thanked fans for their support. He's the one who said they were sending pies, daisies and daisy seeds to ABC  ;D .  He also said he's planning a movie or a comic book to tie up the loose story lines. 

Fans brought back Cagney & Lacey- 3 times. And as you mentioned Family Guy came back once the DVD sales went through the roof... Hell even CBS brought Jericho back for 7 episodes because fans inundated them with peanuts...

Goonies never say die and neither do PD fans!

great slogans by the way!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/25/08 at 2:48 am

I've been so out of touch without internet or cable.

Boo hiss that they were cancelled.  But it really was inevitable.  You see, ANYTHING that I like gets cancelled.  I'm convinced that I'm a bad omen.  Shows should be paying me to not like them, so that they have a long running time AND get syndicated.

How cool that you got to go to the writer's conference for the show Q!  I'm so envious.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/25/08 at 2:49 am

I also think they should have had Kristin Chenoweth sing every episode.  The "Hopelessly devoted to you" bit was my favorite by far and I still watch it (am watching it now) on youtube.

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/08 at 12:44 pm

I also think they should have had Kristin Chenoweth sing every episode.  The "Hopelessly devoted to you" bit was my favorite by far and I still watch it (am watching it now) on youtube.

I love that clip.... They had mentioned at the writers forum I went to... that there were talks of an album but they had to negotiate with KCs people because she is signed to another label... don't know what cancellation does to those plans.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 12/03/08 at 4:48 pm

Just because it's canceled doesn't mean you need to stop watching the show.  ;) If you guys (more specifically  THEY) could just watch the show, the ratings would be higher and the show might get renewed or picked up amid the spiked ratings.

Tonight's episode, entitled "Comfort Food," guest stars Daeg Faerch -- reprising his "Dim Sum, Lose Some" role of Ingmar Todd -- and Stephen Root -- continuing his story arc as Dwight Dixon -- but it will also have a very highly anticipated Wonderfalls crossover of sorts as Beth Grant guests stars as Marianne Marie Beetle from the WF episode "Muffin Buffalo." So check it out!  :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/03/08 at 8:36 pm

Twas a really good episode.  I especially like the ending.  :)

I signed the Save Pushing Daisies petition (for what it's worth), I think I was in the 51,000-ish mark.

I really oughta get my VCR hooked up and tape what's left of the series.  :\'(

Written By: snozberries on 12/11/08 at 1:44 am

Twas a really good episode.  I especially like the ending.   :)

I signed the Save Pushing Daisies petition (for what it's worth), I think I was in the 51,000-ish mark.

I really oughta get my VCR hooked up and tape what's left of the series.   :\'(

need any tapes? I have been going through my VHS collection and tossing whatever I now own on DVD but some of my tapes are in good shape- only used once and I feel funny about just tossing them.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/11/08 at 2:49 am

need any tapes? I have been going through my VHS collection and tossing whatever I now own on DVD but some of my tapes are in good shape- only used once and I feel funny about just tossing them.

Sure.  If you are just getting rid of them.

I really ought to get a DVD recorder so I can do the same thing, because tapes take up so much room...But it'll be tapes for awhile longer, for me anyways.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/11/08 at 2:51 am

I fell asleep during tonight's episode.  Not because of the writing, it's just been a stressful day.

I'll have to look on youtube to see if it makes it online.

Written By: ninny on 12/11/08 at 8:25 am

I've only watched one episode. The lead guy was baking lots of pies and some rich guy had a chandelier fall on him.It was interesting,if I get a chance I may watch more

Written By: snozberries on 12/11/08 at 10:38 pm

I fell asleep during tonight's episode.  Not because of the writing, it's just been a stressful day.

I'll have to look on youtube to see if it makes it online.

go to ABC.com maybe your viewing online might be the one to convince ABC they made a mistake.

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...