inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "MTV doesn't play videos anymore" complaints.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/13/08 at 5:43 pm

Did you notice people have been saying this crap for 10 years now? ;D

Most of you guys know this already, but before anyone rips me a new one, I'll just say I'm a HUGE fan of old-school music videos. Hey I loved watching VH1 as a kid in the early '90s (which basically was like early MTV, just with newer songs and softer stuff mixed in)...so I totally understand that way which they're coming from. I'm not insulting that, but it's just that I've heard that complaint forever, and everyone acts like it's the first time it's ever been said. ;D

I don't get why people obsess over it, because you can watch almost any video on YouTube (I guess there is something familar and retro cool about taping them off tv, though).

Subject: Re: "MTV doesn't play videos anymore" complaints.

Written By: midnite on 10/13/08 at 8:53 pm

Marty,  I am with you, probably like everyone else.  Most of us gave up complaining about MTV (MUSIC TV) in 1999.   It is expected. 

VH-1 (VIDEO HITS 1) doesnt even play videos any more.

They should change their names.

Written By: whistledog on 10/13/08 at 8:57 pm

As someone who has never seen MTV or VH1 before, I don't have an opinion, but these MTV complains have been going on for too long.

Perhaps if people just stopped watching the channel, they'd be forced to put videos back on

Written By: midnite on 10/13/08 at 9:01 pm

As someone who has never seen MTV or VH1 before, I don't have an opinion, but these MTV complains have been going on for too long.

Perhaps if people just stopped watching the channel, they'd be forced to put videos back on

The Maestro of Music has not seen MTV or VH1???  They don't those channels up there?  LOL.  Good for you - less bad reallity shows.

Written By: woops on 10/13/08 at 9:26 pm

Music video compilation DVDs/tapes and VH1 Classic

VH1 does show videos, though in the dusk

Fuse has too much current rap & emo

MTV2...  a few current videos, though mostly reruns of "Punk'd", "Jack@ss", and that Nick Cannon improve show

Written By: whistledog on 10/13/08 at 9:58 pm

The Maestro of Music has not seen MTV or VH1???  They don't those channels up there?   LOL.  Good for you - less bad reallity shows.

MTV Canada didn't launch until 2001, and is not available on basic cable

Our MTV counterpart MuchMusic launched in 1984 and to this day still is all about music and music videos, though they do show alot of the MTV and VH1 shows, but mostly on the weekends

Written By: Step-chan on 10/14/08 at 4:33 pm

I gave up after grunge/alt. rock died down.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/14/08 at 5:42 pm

I have never been a fan of MTV, and never thought it actually had much to do with music.  If the music is good it is good without a video.

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/14/08 at 7:50 pm

I think I will stick to YouTube and my old VHS tapes. I've given up any hope left of MTV and VH1 ever returning to the formats they had 15-20 years ago.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/14/08 at 8:50 pm

I think I will stick to YouTube and my old VHS tapes. I've given up any hope left of MTV and VH1 ever returning to the formats they had 15-20 years ago.

Yeah. Like I said I guess there IS a certain old-school charm in catching a good video on tv and recording or at least watching it. But with YouTube there's really no need to, since you can watch it whenever you want. I guess that's why I think Generation Xers who complain about MTV "not playing videos anymore" is kinda stupid (not to mention they said the same thing 10 years ago, lmao).

Written By: sonikuu on 10/15/08 at 4:25 am

Really, "music channels" not playing music just makes economic sense.  Who would sit through a bunch of music videos that they may or may not like when they can just go online and watch them?  While some would, most would not.  Personally, though, I wish these so-called "music channels" had more music-based programs.  I think VH1 had the right idea back in the late 90s/early 00s when Behind the Music was huge and while a lot of their shows weren't music videos, they were music based on some way, like documentaries and such.  Its far better than filling the airwaves with crappy reality tv.

I saw an old episode of Beavis and Butthead from 1996 or so where they complained that all the stuff MTV plays is non-music shows and that they need to play more videos.  That shows how long people have been complaining.

Personally, I view complaints about MTV and VH1 to be old.  Yes, they suck and are terrible channels.  Everyone knows that, you don't need to bring it up constantly.  The only thing worse than complaining about the state of MTV and VH1 is complaining about the state of Nickelodeon, something that is just as old and tired, if not moreso, among people under 25.  I agree with the sentiments, but it just gets annoying hearing the same old complaints for years on end.  At least complaints about the History Channel, Cartoon Network, etc. are fresher due to their decline being more recent.

Speaking of decline, has anyone noticed that the amount of reality tv on network tv has decreased over the past few years whereas the amount of the reality tv on cable/satelite tv has drastically increased?  Sorry to divert the topic a bit, but the reason so many channels are declining is usually because they have to place reality tv on their channels when it isn't called for, like the previously mentioned History Channel.

Written By: tv on 10/15/08 at 9:36 am

Really, "music channels" not playing music just makes economic sense.  Who would sit through a bunch of music videos that they may or may not like when they can just go online and watch them?  While some would, most would not.  Personally, though, I wish these so-called "music channels" had more music-based programs.  I think VH1 had the right idea back in the late 90s/early 00s when Behind the Music was huge and while a lot of their shows weren't music videos, they were music based on some way, like documentaries and such.  Its far better than filling the airwaves with crappy reality tv.

I saw an old episode of Beavis and Butthead from 1996 or so where they complained that all the stuff MTV plays is non-music shows and that they need to play more videos.  That shows how long people have been complaining.

Personally, I view complaints about MTV and VH1 to be old.  Yes, they suck and are terrible channels.  Everyone knows that, you don't need to bring it up constantly.  The only thing worse than complaining about the state of MTV and VH1 is complaining about the state of Nickelodeon, something that is just as old and tired, if not moreso, among people under 25.  I agree with the sentiments, but it just gets annoying hearing the same old complaints for years on end.  At least complaints about the History Channel, Cartoon Network, etc. are fresher due to their decline being more recent.

Speaking of decline, has anyone noticed that the amount of reality tv on network tv has decreased over the past few years whereas the amount of the reality tv on cable/satelite tv has drastically increased?  Sorry to divert the topic a bit, but the reason so many channels are declining is usually because they have to place reality tv on their channels when it isn't called for, like the previously mentioned History Channel.

Personally to get a music video on YouTube my computer would take an hour to load it. Secondly, I don;t  really like today's music anyway, its all deadweight and marketed to teens anyway.

Yeah I have noticed reality shows more on cable than regular TV stations. Reality TV on mainstream TV really hasn;t been popular since 2004. 2005-2006 the hourlong drama shows of Grey Anatomy and Desperate Housewives got big. I would say 2007-mid 2008 the game shows were a big mainstream Tv trend.

As for MTV like I've been saying they've been garbage since Britney Spears exploded on the teen-pop scene in early 1999. I did like MTV2 back in 2001 at least they had a variety of music playing on that station. Now its all rap video's I mean I like rap music but not all the time and not every video has to be rap. MTV needs to get with it anyway I mean rap is not as popular as it was in the mid 00's anyway. MTV and VH1 get with it...or get out. I want to here some quality rock music for once.

Written By: Midas on 10/15/08 at 10:24 am

Yeah. Like I said I guess there IS a certain old-school charm in catching a good video on tv and recording or at least watching it. But with YouTube there's really no need to, since you can watch it whenever you want. I guess that's why I think Generation Xers who complain about MTV "not playing videos anymore" is kinda stupid (not to mention they said the same thing 10 years ago, lmao).

So you're saying that Generation Xers that have complained about that are stupid?  Or just the complaint itself?  Careful, your sentence could be misconstrued there. ;)

Yes, there IS a certain old-school charm in catching a GOOD video on tv.  Thank God VH-1 Classic still shows some.  I get my fix on 120 Minutes in the wee hours of the morning after spinning tunes on Renegade Retro on the weekends, and occasionally I'll get my cheese metal video fix on Metal Mania.  I'll catch the rest of the videos I want to see on YouTube, even though most of the time the clarity/quality is crap.

I'll continue to say eMpTyV sucks now.  I won't complain about them not playing videos anymore because I know that won't happen.  They were once a catalyst for breaking ground for new artists and from 1983 - 1986 I probably watched it more than any other cable channel.  I can't recall the last time I watched a show on the current MTV channel as there doesn't seem to be anything worth watching there.

Written By: woops on 10/15/08 at 11:50 am

I rarely would watch "FriggiN Moronic TV" when there's a musical guest I'm into like The  Ting Tings or Duffy. Other than that, not much.

Though I find "Exiled" hiliarious  ;D :D

Written By: Sweet Illest Baby on 10/15/08 at 1:27 pm

In the days of YouTube, it's a pretty stupid thing to complain about.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/15/08 at 11:17 pm

MTV is filling young people's heads up with sh!t.  >:(

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/22/08 at 4:57 pm

Forgot to respond to this earlier, but I agree with you. That middle period of VH1 was best in the sense that you had the perfect balance of music videos and roots of their early programming, but more choices so that it wouldn't get boring either, especially with documentaries. Yeah, I was a big Behind the Music fan too.

I'll admit I have more nostalgia for the way it was around 1991 (basically like early MTV with a few extras), but that's probably because I was still in my childhood. But it had the best variety around the late '90s and 2000 or so.

Check for new replies or respond here...