inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What year did gas prices started to go up?

Written By: 80sfan on 10/16/08 at 9:18 pm

I think it was 1999 or 2000, please correct me if I'm wrong. If it's 1999, then I guess this forum belongs in the 90's one.

Subject: Re: What year did gas prices started to go up?

Written By: Dagwood on 10/16/08 at 9:43 pm

Gas prices have always gone up.  I started driving in the eighties and gas was less than $1 a gallon.  I am sure there are others here who can talk about prices before than and it was even cheaper.

Written By: Sweet Illest Baby on 10/16/08 at 9:44 pm

Like getting really really high, and not just inflation-adjusted, probably like 2003, when Dumbass started the war in Iraq.

Written By: Dagwood on 10/16/08 at 9:46 pm

Prices have always done that as well.  I am sure in the seventies when they had the gas shortage it shot up high and not for inflation.

Written By: whistledog on 10/16/08 at 10:16 pm

When I was a kid, gas was around 56c and even then people complained it was too high

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/17/08 at 6:33 pm

When I was a kid, gas was around 56c and even then people complained it was too high

We had a guy in school who we nicknamed ".50 please". I can't really remember what gas cost when I was a kid something like .25 a gallon.
Of course all the cars were huge until the oil crisis in the 70s.
footnote cigarttes cost .46 a pack when I started smoking in 1970

Written By: Midas on 10/18/08 at 12:31 am

Gas prices have always gone up.  I started driving in the eighties and gas was less than $1 a gallon.  I am sure there are others here who can talk about prices before than and it was even cheaper.

Agreed.  I started driving in 1988.  It was around a buck a gallon then.  Sometime in 1989-1990, it got as high as $1.50/gallon.  I lived in SC in 1992-1994 and it was under $1/gallon.  Then I moved to NC and remember it getting up around $1.35/gallon. 

2003-2004 is when I started to see it get above $2/gallon.  And $3/gallon after Hurricane Katrina.  Right now it's right at $3/gallon here but was as high as $4.60/gallon earlier in the year.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/14/11 at 2:39 am

I remember when gas went below a dollar for a bit which was the lowest gas prices I saw in my lifetime, it was like late 98/early 99 bottomed out at like 80 cents a gallon that's probably around the cheapest gas ever was when you figure in inflation. Though typically when my parents bought gas in the '90s, I recall the prices being pretty stable in the $1.00-$1.20 range. It was in 2000 when it started going well above $1.00, though gas prices weren't that bad until around 2004 which is when I believe they went over $2.00/gallon the first time (around here at least). Gas was like in the 1.40-1.70ish range in the early '00s, which is still very cheap compared to today's gas prices. It's weird how gas prices sank all the way back down to about $1.80 (from $4.00) when the economy crashed in 2008, of course by now they've settled back to where they were before the crash.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 07/14/11 at 6:40 am

I think in the early 2000's.

Written By: tv on 07/14/11 at 10:24 am

I think in the early 2000's.
Yeah like 2001 or 2002 maybe.

Written By: wsmith4 on 07/14/11 at 10:43 am

Brian, I remember filling my tank up at the beach in 1999 for like $.75/gallon.  I can't believe it was that low.  I wonder why it went so low?  Those were the days!

Written By: tv on 07/14/11 at 12:33 pm

Brian, I remember filling my tank up at the beach in 1999 for like $.75/gallon.  I can't believe it was that low.  I wonder why it went so low?  Those were the days!
Well 1 thing is China and India didn't have a thriving auto sector back in the late 90's sales wise as they do now.

Written By: Howard on 07/14/11 at 1:37 pm

I remember when gas prices were $2.00 a gallon.

Written By: nally on 07/14/11 at 1:44 pm

I remember when gas prices were $2.00 a gallon.

As early as 1999/2000, is when they first reached that level. And I thought it was too much then!

Right now, I wouldn't mind seeing that price for gas, since it seems very low compared to what it costs now!

Written By: nally on 07/14/11 at 1:47 pm

I also remember around that time it dipped back below a dollar a gallon, but that was short-lived when they began climbing again in January of '02.

Written By: tv on 07/14/11 at 2:36 pm

I also remember around that time it dipped back below a dollar a gallon, but that was short-lived when they began climbing again in January of '02.
Oh yeah gas prices did dip alot after 9/11. I forgot about that.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/14/11 at 6:35 pm

I wish we could bring back 80 cent/gallon gas...but that's probably not happening.  :-\\

Written By: Brian06 on 07/14/11 at 6:40 pm

As early as 1999/2000, is when they first reached that level. And I thought it was too much then!

Right now, I wouldn't mind seeing that price for gas, since it seems very low compared to what it costs now!

Oh yeah you're in California, it's usually more expensive there. How much is gas there now?  Here it's about $3.60... I was in Europe in 2007 it was like the equivalent of $7.00 a gallon, but a lot of people drive little cars and scooters (no SUVS!) there.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/14/11 at 8:20 pm

Gas prices were deceptively low from the early 1980s until about 2000.  The North Sea Oil glut made prices for a dollar-and-change per gallon profitable for oil companies.  After 2000 prices hovered in the high one dollar per gallon to low two dollar per gallon range creeping upwards a little at a time.

The first dramatic spike in the past decade occurred after Hurricane Katrina in late summer of 2005.  How much Katrina really interrupted the gasoline supply is debatable.  What is certain is prices jumped from the low to mid two dollar range on August 28 to the mid three dollar range on August 31.  Gas prices have fluctuated since then but never returned to the pre-Katrina rates. 

The highest I remember gas prices climbing was in the summer of 2008.  Prices cracked the four dollar per gallon level in Massachusetts, where prices were relatively cheap.  Elsewhere in the country such as in California and Hawaii gas prices rose to over five dollars per gallon. 

I filled up today here in Massachusetts for $3.69/gal.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
:o

Written By: nally on 07/14/11 at 10:30 pm

Oh yeah you're in California, it's usually more expensive there. How much is gas there now?  Here it's about $3.60... I was in Europe in 2007 it was like the equivalent of $7.00 a gallon, but a lot of people drive little cars and scooters (no SUVS!) there.

Anywhere from $3.60 to $4 at the stations nearest me.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/11 at 6:33 am

I wish we could bring back 80 cent/gallon gas...but that's probably not happening.  :-\\

That was probably in the late 70's. ???

Written By: Howard on 07/15/11 at 6:34 am

I wish there was free gas.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/15/11 at 9:44 am

Don't we all. Don't we all.  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 07/15/11 at 9:46 am

It's 3.67 per gallon if you're filling for Regular in Lincoln, Nebraska.

I hope it keeps going down until it gets down to $2 a gallon!

Written By: wsmith4 on 07/15/11 at 9:55 am

'
OH...MY........GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:(

Anyway, gas prices have seen little fluctuation over the past 20 years, with pricing remaining about the same, around $1.20 a gallon.  We are very lucky to see this.

Written By: karen on 07/15/11 at 2:43 pm

You can track about 5 years worth of gas prices in this thread

The highest I remember gas prices climbing was in the summer of 2008.  Prices cracked the four dollar per gallon level in Massachusetts, where prices were relatively cheap.  Elsewhere in the country such as in California and Hawaii gas prices rose to over five dollars per gallon. 

In Connecticut we paid just over $5 at that time.  Though that was in a small town and the station was just off the highway

Written By: nally on 07/15/11 at 3:23 pm

It's 3.67 per gallon if you're filling for Regular in Lincoln, Nebraska.

About the same in California. The Costco gasoline prices are the lowest, at least I've seen.

I hope it keeps going down until it gets down to $2 a gallon!

I'd actually love to see prices in that range too!

Written By: 80sfan on 07/15/11 at 3:24 pm

About the same in California. The Costco gasoline prices are the lowest, at least I've seen.

I'd actually love to see prices in that range too!

I remember around 2001 or 2002 when $2 a gallon seemed ALOT, now it seems nothing compared to the current price or the prices during the summer of 2008!

Written By: nally on 07/15/11 at 3:33 pm

I remember around 2001 or 2002 when $2 a gallon seemed ALOT, now it seems nothing compared to the current price or the prices during the summer of 2008!

You got that right!

Once in the summer of 2008 I saw full serve prices at over five bucks a gallon. Of course, full serve prices are always too much more than self serve.

Written By: tv on 07/15/11 at 4:56 pm

You can track about 5 years worth of gas prices in this thread

In Connecticut we paid just over $5 at that time.  Though that was in a small town and the station was just off the highway
I went on vacation a couple of weeks ago in Connecticut(Stamford and Norwalk) and paid 28.00$(4.07$ a gallon) to fill up the car in Stamford. Of course I was on a quarter of tank when I filled up the car though.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/11 at 7:28 pm

Then we wouldn't have to pay out of our pockets.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/11 at 7:31 pm

http://www.proxibid.com/AuctionImages/1311/26106/Detail/97.jpg

an old vintage gas price sign.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/15/11 at 10:33 pm

http://rlv.zcache.com/eat_more_beans_america_needs_the_gas_bumper_sticker-p128255807373945105trl0_400.jpg

No, we all do not.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/15/11 at 10:34 pm

http://rlv.zcache.com/eat_more_beans_america_needs_the_gas_bumper_sticker-p128255807373945105trl0_400.jpg

No, we all do not.

;D

Written By: Howard on 07/16/11 at 6:38 am

No, we all do not.

Now that's free gas. ;D

Written By: karen on 07/16/11 at 11:26 am

In the UK petrol is a bit over $9 a gallon (though that could be UK gallons which are different to US gallons!)

Of this over 60% goes to the government in taxes

Written By: 80sfan on 07/16/11 at 11:10 pm

In the UK petrol is a bit over $9 a gallon (though that could be UK gallons which are different to US gallons!)

That's terrible.  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/16/11 at 11:37 pm

No, we all do not.

http://www.guzer.com/pictures/get_gas_sign.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/16/11 at 11:42 pm

I wouldn't mind if petrol/gas was $9 a gallon if it was practical to take the bus or the train, but in 95% of America, it isn't, even in my area where we have a relatively comprehensive mass transit system because there are lots of colleges around here.

Written By: Howard on 07/17/11 at 6:54 am

http://www.guzer.com/pictures/get_gas_sign.jpg

what kind of gas?  :D

Written By: bchris02 on 07/29/11 at 9:22 am

I think it was 1999 or 2000, please correct me if I'm wrong. If it's 1999, then I guess this forum belongs in the 90's one.

The current spike in prices began in 2005 with Hurricane Katrina.  Katrina showed investors that people could handle $3 gas, so they have been trying to push higher and higher ever since then.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/29/11 at 10:34 pm

The current spike in prices began in 2005 with Hurricane Katrina.  Katrina showed investors that people could handle $3 gas, so they have been trying to push higher and higher ever since then.

Oh yeah, by the mid-00s it started to hit $3 a gallon!

Written By: nally on 07/30/11 at 1:40 pm

Oh yeah, by the mid-00s it started to hit $3 a gallon!

I remember that. Even before Hurricane Katrina it began to climb toward that level!

Check for new replies or respond here...