inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Eminem just turned 36- You think he's too old, now?

Written By: Satish on 10/18/08 at 1:37 pm

The rapper Eminem, who was born on October 17, 1972, recently celebrated his thirty-sixth birthday.

Do you suppose he's old, now? In his song "Without Me," which was released in 2002 when he was 29, he attacks Moby for being too old, at 36. Here's some of the lines from the song:

And Moby? You can get stomped by Obie
You thirty-six year old baldheaded fa*, bl** me
You don't know me, you're too old, let go
It's over, nobody listen to techno

I wonder if he still feels the same way!  ;D

Subject: Re: Eminem just turned 36- You think he's too old, now?

Written By: snozberries on 10/18/08 at 2:13 pm

The rapper Eminem, who was born on October 17, 1972, recently celebrated his thirty-sixth birthday.

Do you suppose he's old, now? In his song "Without Me," which was released in 2002 when he was 29, he attacks Moby for being too old, at 36. Here's some of the lines from the song:

And Moby? You can get stomped by Obie
You thirty-six year old baldheaded fa*, bl** me
You don't know me, you're too old, let go
It's over, nobody listen to techno

I wonder if he still feels the same way!  ;D

yeah but a 36 year old moby is more like 63 and a 36 year old shady is still in his twenties.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/18/08 at 5:40 pm

Yeah that was kinda messed up to rip on a guy only 7 years older than yourself - that's just like a big sibling. Some difference but the same generation. Maybe it's because Moby looked older (he shaves his head, so he could've been going bald) but it was probably just about him being outdated more than his age.

Written By: snozberries on 10/18/08 at 5:43 pm

it was probably just about him being outdated more than his age.

most definitely

we've all ripped on an age we thought was old.

I used to think 40 was old but now that I'm here I'm thinking Holy Crap 40 is still young.

Written By: La Roche on 10/18/08 at 5:57 pm

Yeah that was kinda messed up to rip on a guy only 7 years older than yourself - that's just like a big sibling. Some difference but the same generation. Maybe it's because Moby looked older (he shaves his head, so he could've been going bald) but it was probably just about him being outdated more than his age.

Or because Moby sucks ass.

As does anybody that ever bought a Moby record.

QFT.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/18/08 at 6:00 pm

^ Yeah I could care less about Moby's music myself. The only cool thing about him is that he likes the '80s, lol.

most definitely

we've all ripped on an age we thought was old.

I used to think 40 was old but now that I'm here I'm thinking Holy Crap 40 is still young.

I never really did (unless they really were oldish), but I know I'm not most people. ;D

Yeah I think we all get worried about "landmark ages" though, like 18, 21, 30 and 40 - but once we get to the other side of it, we realize it's no big deal and only a number. It's not like one years makes you uncool or anything (which is what people fear in aging sometimes, me included).

Written By: snozberries on 10/18/08 at 6:43 pm

^ Yeah I could care less about Moby's music myself. The only cool thing about him is that he likes the '80s, lol.

I never really did (unless they really were oldish), but I know I'm not most people. ;D

Yeah I think we all get worried about "landmark ages" though, like 18, 21, 30 and 40 - but once we get to the other side of it, we realize it's no big deal and only a number. It's not like one years makes you uncool or anything (which is what people fear in aging sometimes, me included).

what do you consider oldish....

I think I called you on an ageist comment at least once  ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/18/08 at 6:55 pm

Well, on a personal level I'm not ageist in either direction (and I think it's messed up when people are). ;) I guess old is like whenever you could potentially die of natural causes, like 80ish. Then again it's also relative for what you're comparing them to. Obama and Sarah Palin are pretty young for candidates, but they'd be old for being on MTV, know what I mean?

Unfortunately we live in a very youth centered society, so I think (at least by media standards and all) once you're adult it's considered "less cool" to get older. I guess around the late 30s or 40 is where middle age kicks in, because by then you're traditionally old enough to be the parent of a teen/high schooler...even if you'd still be a bit on the young side.

That's why I think 30 is still way younger than 40, even if nothing technically separates them. I wish it wasn't like that 'cause a number doesn't define people and I personally think 40 is nowhere NEAR old, especially by today's standards. I absolutely agree that it's messed up to suggest peoiple aren't as attractive, cool or fun anymore just because of a biological function. That ticks me off too, but I don't make the rules!

Written By: Sweet Illest Baby on 10/18/08 at 10:49 pm

It's sad he's close to 40. In a way, it even makes 1999 seem old!

He's almost as old as the Beastie Boys!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/08 at 10:49 pm

THANK YOU! Karma +1!!!

Muck Foby!

Full disclosure, I did buy Moby's "ambient" CD, but I bought it used for six bucks, and it was an even sh*ttier record than KLF's ambient record!

Ah, for the days when 36 was "old"!
;D

Maybe Eminem can get a job on a Law & Order franchise like Ice-T did!

Written By: Sweet Illest Baby on 10/18/08 at 10:51 pm

Why all the Moby hating?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/08 at 10:52 pm

Why all the Moby hating?

BECAUSE-HE-SUCKS-ASS.

Do I have to explain?  Sheesh!
:P

Written By: snozberries on 10/19/08 at 9:47 am

BECAUSE-HE-SUCKS-ASS.

Do I have to explain?  Sheesh!
:P

seriously

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/19/08 at 11:10 am

seriously

Yes, Moby seriously sucks ass.

Written By: Satish on 10/19/08 at 3:51 pm

How come there's so much Moby bashing in this thread? I think he's brilliant! Play was one of the best albums of the late 90s, and "Bodyrock" and "Natural Blues" are stellar tracks! And he's done several other fine tracks like "South Side," "Porcelain," "That's When I Reach For My Revolver" and "Everytime You Touch Me."

I actually happen to really enjoy instrumental, electronic music. I wish there was a radio station that played stuff like Kraftwerk, the Orb, Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim and Underworld 24 hours a day. I'd lie in bed with the lights off and listen to it every night.

Come to think of it, I'd definitely prefer listening to Moby than Eminem!  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/19/08 at 4:21 pm

Perhaps we will see a more mellow Shady, like somebody mentioned before, Ice-T has gone mainstream on Law&Order.

Or... he could stay hard core like Suge Knight.

Written By: Paul on 10/19/08 at 4:53 pm

That's why I think 30 is still way younger than 40

10 years by my reckoning...my math scares me!  :D

Perhaps it's an age factor on my behalf, but whatever the big scream with Eminem was, I'm glad I missed it!  :P

Written By: snozberries on 10/19/08 at 5:04 pm

How come there's so much Moby bashing in this thread? I think he's brilliant! Play was one of the best albums of the late 90s, and "Bodyrock" and "Natural Blues" are stellar tracks! And he's done several other fine tracks like "South Side," "Porcelain," "That's When I Reach For My Revolver" and "Everytime You Touch Me."

I actually happen to really enjoy instrumental, electronic music. I wish there was a radio station that played stuff like Kraftwerk, the Orb, Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim and Underworld 24 hours a day. I'd lie in bed with the lights off and listen to it every night.

Come to think of it, I'd definitely prefer listening to Moby than Eminem!  ;D

I prefer Eminem any day.... EVERY DAY. 

Sorry Moby just ain't my thing.....  Ha at first I typed Mogy  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/19/08 at 5:52 pm

I prefer Eminem any day.... EVERY DAY. 

Sorry Moby just ain't my thing.....   Ha at first I typed Mogy  ;D

Moby SHOULDA been stomped by Obie.

Moby is a pretentious twit.

Written By: tv on 10/19/08 at 7:14 pm

Perhaps we will see a more mellow Shady, like somebody mentioned before, Ice-T has gone mainstream on Law&Order.

Suge is funny..but he does he stay more low key these days than when he was running "Death Row Records" in the early to mid 90's. Maybe because because Hardcore Gangsta Rap isn;t prevelant in the 00's as it was from 1992-1996.

Anyway, do I think Eminem is too old...Maybe he's not too old per say he'll ever as popular as he was from 1999-2001/2002 no. He's like Jennifer Lopez in a way in that she's not as popular anymore as she was from 1999-mid 2003 musically.

Written By: La Roche on 10/19/08 at 7:17 pm

Yes, Moby seriously sucks ass.

Written By: EthanM on 10/19/08 at 9:21 pm

Suge is funny..but he does he stay more low key these days than when he was running "Death Row Records" in the early to mid 90's. Maybe because because Hardcore Gangsta Rap isn;t prevelant in the 00's as it was from 1992-1996.

Anyway, do I think Eminem is too old...Maybe he's not too old per say he'll ever as popular as he was from 1999-2001/2002 no. He's like Jennifer Lopez in a way in that she's not as popular anymore as she was from 1999-mid 2003 musically.

I don't think that Eminem was ever nearly as hardcore as Suge Knight, whose wikipedia page suggests that he hasn't been low-key at all this year unless arrest on drug and assault charges is low key to you.  Snoop Dogg continues to be popular as he gets older without ditching his outlaw image - although now the emphasis has shifted almost completely to non-violent, "victimless" crime - and I don't see why Eminem can't continue to have huge hits if he wants to write them.

Written By: woops on 10/20/08 at 12:45 pm

Haven't really heard much of both...

Though Eminem did appear in Akon's "Smack That" a few years ago...

Written By: Midas on 10/20/08 at 2:08 pm

QFT.

Allow me to pucker up.  ::)  That would be me several times over.  Have one autographed by him.  8)  He's made melodic tracks for about 20 years now.  Eminem is probably one of the best rappers in the business and has been on the scene for about 10.  I think I have purchased one record that includes him, a Mix Factor remix comp that includes D-12's "My Band".  Oh wait, there's that mix on Hot Tracks 22-2 of Drunkenmunkey's "E" that includes samples from "Without Me" as "E" is basically an instrumental techno version of WM. :D

I like both.  I prefer Moby to Eminem, but that's just my opinion.  You know what they say about those. :D

I'm the same age as Eminem.  He's not old.

Written By: snozberries on 10/20/08 at 2:10 pm

I like both.  I prefer Moby to Eminem, but that's just my opinion.  You know what they say about those. :D

Keep 'em to yourself?  ;D  just kidding.

Written By: Midas on 10/20/08 at 2:15 pm

I have to laugh at this.  Eminem is far from hardcore.  ;D

Keep 'em to yourself?  ;D   just kidding.

;D

Written By: snozberries on 10/20/08 at 2:16 pm

I have to laugh at this.  Eminem is far from hardcore.  ;D

;D

I think people tend to listen to his lyrics rather than his tone... sure some of his songs are misogynistic but alot of them are meant to be tongue in cheek.

Written By: La Roche on 10/20/08 at 8:06 pm

Allow me to pucker up.  ::)  That would be me several times over.  Have one autographed by him.  8)  He's made melodic tracks for about 20 years now.  Eminem is probably one of the best rappers in the business and has been on the scene for about 10.  I think I have purchased one record that includes him, a Mix Factor remix comp that includes D-12's "My Band".  Oh wait, there's that mix on Hot Tracks 22-2 of Drunkenmunkey's "E" that includes samples from "Without Me" as "E" is basically an instrumental techno version of WM. :D

I'm the same age as Eminem.  He's not old.

Disappointment doesn't really convey the feeling I have right now..  :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/08 at 8:19 pm

I love Kraftwerk, I love the Orb, but Moby...I'm sorry he's just boring AND he's a pompous PETA vegan!
::)

Written By: La Roche on 10/20/08 at 8:23 pm

I love Kraftwerk, I love the Orb, but Moby...I'm sorry he's just boring AND he's a pompous PETA vegan!
::)

QFT.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/20/08 at 8:54 pm

Yeah, I think Eminem and JLo are in that inbetween stage, like past their peak but not totally outdated either. They probably still have enough fans to sell new material, just not as big as before. Same as Green Day (even if they had a big '05 comeback).

I agree most mainstream rap now is crunk or club/dance stuff that's more hip hop geared to partying than making a lifestyle statement (that seemed to be what gangsta was about). 1997 to '02 was probably transitional between the old school gangsta and the current party rap era.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/20/08 at 9:31 pm

I don't listen to Eninem or Moby. As for age, well.... you're only old as you feel.

QFT.

This little internet term is lost on me, I have no idea what those three letters are suppose to mean when applied like that.

Written By: Midas on 10/21/08 at 9:24 am

Disappointment doesn't really convey the feeling I have right now..  :(

I wouldn't ever expect Satan's Dad to be disappointed.  :D

This little internet term is lost on me, I have no idea what those three letters are suppose to mean when applied like that.

Quote For Today.  You learned something new today!

Written By: karen on 10/21/08 at 12:55 pm

thought it was Quoted For Truth.

at least that's what someone else here told me it was.

:-\\

Written By: Midas on 10/21/08 at 1:23 pm

Ah, it could mean that too.  But I would argue that saying Moby sucks is more a matter of opinion than fact. :P

Written By: Step-chan on 10/21/08 at 2:31 pm

I wouldn't ever expect Satan's Dad to be disappointed.  :D

Well, considering that I'm not into sports, He considers me not to be 100% hetero. :D

Yep, everyday. ;)

As well as here too. :)

Written By: tv on 10/21/08 at 5:31 pm

I agree most mainstream rap now is crunk or club/dance stuff that's more hip hop geared to partying than making a lifestyle statement (that seemed to be what gangsta was about). 1997 to '02 was probably transitional between the old school gangsta and the current party rap era.
Yeah 1997 to 2002 rap was more R&B influenced back then for that time like Puffy, Mase, Ja Rule, or Jay-Z would define rap music for that time period(1997-2002.)

Written By: Red Ant on 10/21/08 at 8:01 pm

That's what I thought it was as well, although the first time I saw "QFT" I thought it meant "Quit F****** Tripping".

Eminem isn't too old, but I do think he is past his rap prime.

Ant

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/22/08 at 4:52 pm

Let me just add that all this age stuff depends on the person (and I hope I didnt offend anyone earlier), I wish everyone didn't take it so seriously.

I've seen 22 year old single moms or younger teachers who act middle aged, and there's 40 year olds that seem like "grown up kids" and might look or dress alot younger too. Not everyone follows a set path in life or automatically "acts a certain way", it's what's inside that counts. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/08 at 11:06 pm

I don't listen to Eninem or Moby. As for age, well.... you're only old as you feel.

In Foo's response to what I said, it's gotta stand for Quite F88king true!
8)

Written By: Step-chan on 10/23/08 at 2:47 pm

In Foo's response to what I said, it's gotta stand for Quite F88king true!
8)

Needless to say, that boils down to taste. :D ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...