inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is House music still popular?

Written By: Sweet Illest Baby on 10/18/08 at 10:54 pm

I'm not really knowledgeable on dance music, but it seems like house music fell out of popularity in the early 2000s to drum n bass, crunk and light synths. Can anyone back me up on this?

Subject: Re: Is House music still popular?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/08 at 11:02 pm

Wherever there's dancing and dope, there will be a market for thump-thump-thump music.  Does it matter what it's called?  Techno, House, Acid-House, Trance, Trip-Hop, Jazz-Step, Half-Step, Gabba, Ibiza....

::)

Written By: sonikuu on 10/19/08 at 2:13 am

*goes through topics on front page and sees 4 Sweet Illest Baby topics made within a few days of each other*

Hmm...this scenario seems quite familar to me.  Be more patient in your topic starting or your identity shall be revealed.  

Oh, and on the subject of House music, Wikipedia says its popularity is "large, especially late 1980s and early 1990s United States, United Kingdom and Australia. Still popular among North American, Western European, Australian and South African club goers."  Personally, I don't know the difference between most dance genres, but oh well.

The internet is a useful tool to use when people want answers to questions that they have.  Use the internet before asking.  

Written By: whistledog on 10/19/08 at 8:14 pm

Said topic starter has already been removed, but to answer this question seriously, house music is still around.  If you only listen to what's on Top 40 radio in North America, then you probably wouldn't think so, but go into the clubs and it's everywhere. 

And as usual, it's quite popular overseas where Dance songs regularly chart within the Top 40

On a happy note for Canada, 'Cry For You' by September has become the first dance song to reach the Top 40 since (i believe) 'Rock This Party' by Bob Sinclar in 2006

Written By: tv on 10/19/08 at 8:27 pm

Lets see "Everytime We Touch" by Cascada was pretty popular in the US in 2006.

Written By: Midas on 10/20/08 at 12:04 pm

Like whistledog said, it's still popular in clubs.  Phoenix has an all-dance radio station, Energy-FM and they play house tracks.  House music has morphed into so many sub-genres (progressive house, electrohouse, acid house, tek-house, happy house etc.)  When I think of house music I think of tracks mixed by Peter Rauhofer, Junior Vasquez, Chris Cox, Love To Infinity, Robbie Rivera etc...

I saw Chris Cox spin in 2001 and Junior in 2002, both to packed clubs.  I don't hear a lot of drum n' bass, and what dnb I do hear is from the 90's. :D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/21/08 at 5:09 pm

House, Drum n Bass, Techno, etc are all very popular down here still. There are many clubs around town devoted to this stuff.

In saying that, it is still "alternative", and you wouldn't hear it on a pop music station. Almost exclusively it gets played on University stations.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/23/08 at 10:41 pm

House, Drum n Bass, Techno, etc are all very popular down here still. There are many clubs around town devoted to this stuff.

In saying that, it is still "alternative", and you wouldn't hear it on a pop music station. Almost exclusively it gets played on University stations.

^ I used to do some spinning, but you couldn't really dance to my mixes.  Plastikman, Aphex Twin, The Orb, Muslimgauze, Tetsu Inoue, CabVolt, E. Neubauten, stuff from the Caipirihna label.  I liked to build a psychedelic atmosphere of beats, ethnic sounds, industrial noises, and ambient washes.  A listener asked me, "What drugs do you do before you do your show?" 
"You mean, what drugs do you feel like your on when you listen!," I replied!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/happy10.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...