inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Stopping 'mightier than thou' SCOFFLAWS!

Written By: iquestion on 10/19/08 at 6:53 pm

Has this happened to you?

In CA law was made 'NO ONE' may be on  phone while driving(unless in an emergency etc..)..or face a fine which will increase with every offense.

At the start of this law, TV news crews did a random filming and would still see many disrespecting or ignorantly unaware of this law.

So, I'm driving through the busy streets of LA and in my rear view mirror, I see this 20+ guy behind my car ON THE DAMN PHONE while driving!

As we get to the next traffic light, he rolls down his window as he knows I am trying to let him once again know he is breakung the law and he says I should MYOB!

The audacity! As the light wasn't long enough for me to lay some 'EDUCATION' on him about- MYOB?? IT IS MY BUSINESS ..I m a resident of this city and I am PAYING taxes to keep people like HIM from driving on MY roads which may cause delays or accidents.

He even made some 'butthead' remark about how I can PAY his ticket if I am so concerned with him on the phone.

Anyone else know a better way to get it across to the HOLIER THAN THOU- people who like to challenge this?

MYOB? Yeah, then when I MYOB when someone is getting beat or robbed, what will they feel like then....?(Rhetorically speaking of course).

Subject: Re: Stopping 'mightier than thou' SCOFFLAWS!

Written By: snozberries on 10/20/08 at 12:29 am

I agree with the guy.Unless you're driving a black and white car with a big star on the doors and lightbar on the roof....  MYOB...

It's the job of the law enforcement to enforce the law not you. If he gets in an accident too bad- he'll pay and the person he hits pay and if he kills someone that's really too bad.  but are you standing at restaurants watching how much people drink? Are you following old people to see if they still drive safely? Following teens to see how they drive? 

There are many dangerous drivers on the road not just cell phone talkers. Keep your mind on your own driving and let others be responsible for their driving.

And, as an aside, when it was legal I talked on my cell phone- now that its illegal to hold the phone to my ear I talk on a blue tooth. Driving was far easier with the cell phone than with the blue tooth.  Any idiot who pays more attention to the phone conversation than to the road is....AN IDIOT.... but in my opinion- there is little difference in talking on the cell than talking to a passenger in your car....if you're doing it right...

Written By: iquestion on 10/20/08 at 1:39 am

I agree with the guy.Unless you're driving a black and white car with a big star on the doors and lightbar on the roof....  MYOB...

It's the job of the law enforcement to enforce the law not you. If he gets in an accident too bad- he'll pay and the person he hits pay and if he kills someone that's really too bad.  but are you standing at restaurants watching how much people drink? Are you following old people to see if they still drive safely? Following teens to see how they drive? 

There are many dangerous drivers on the road not just cell phone talkers. Keep your mind on your own driving and let others be responsible for their driving.

And, as an aside, when it was legal I talked on my cell phone- now that its illegal to hold the phone to my ear I talk on a blue tooth. Driving was far easier with the cell phone than with the blue tooth.  Any idiot who pays more attention to the phone conversation than to the road is....AN IDIOT.... but in my opinion- there is little difference in talking on the cell than talking to a passenger in your car....if you're doing it right...

I see your point.

Although the 'law' was passed..the police are to enforce it. They left the end of the equation dangling as THEY have to see the lawbreaker..but if 'I' see them, I am to MYOB?
As previous mentioned seeing someone burgle a neighbor? Where is the line drawn?

People blatantly ignoring the law, I can't issue a ticket/fine but it does personally affects me in the event THE PHONE USER there is a probability to lose control or slows up my traffic flow.
'The whole reason the law was adopted'.

A drunk guy leaving a bar going to drive MAY be bad for everyone else but if I wasn't driving, I couldn't enforce the law.
Then there are the cases that make the bartenders refuse giving any drinks to someone who they deem having too much and I thought they would hold the bartender responsible if they gave them too much?

Curious if there are 'legal eagles' who can chime in?

Thanks for the input..

Written By: snozberries on 10/20/08 at 1:53 am

I see your point.

Although the 'law' was passed..the police are to enforce it. They left the end of the equation dangling as THEY have to see the lawbreaker..but if 'I' see them, I am to MYOB?
As previous mentioned seeing someone burgle a neighbor? Where is the line drawn?

People blatantly ignoring the law, I can't issue a ticket/fine but it does personally affects me in the event THE PHONE USER there is a probability to lose control or slows up my traffic flow.
'The whole reason the law was adopted'.

A drunk guy leaving a bar going to drive MAY be bad for everyone else but if I wasn't driving, I couldn't enforce the law.
Then there are the cases that make the bartenders refuse giving any drinks to someone who they deem having too much and I thought they would hold the bartender responsible if they gave them too much?

Curious if there are 'legal eagles' who can chime in?

Thanks for the input..

A burglary in progress does not compare to someone using a cell phone while driving.

A burglary is a misdemeanor or a felony in depending on the circs 

Driving while using a cell phone is an infraction.  An officer has to witness an infraction before issuing a citation. Misdemeanors caught in the act are punishable by fine and or incarceration....

If you call in a burglary and the suspect leaves but the police are able to gather enough evidence to link it to a suspect then there is an arrest.

If you call in someone talking on a cell phone and an officer happens to be in the area the officer can cite the person if he/she witnesses the violation for themselves... but they cannot issue a citation if the person is off the phone by the time they get because your eyewitness account is not enough for the officer to act on that violation.

And yes... perhaps bartenders will regulate the drinking and driving...but I was talking about restaurants...someone who has wine with dinner. Or a margarita...would you time them to see how much time had passed between them having a drink or two and them leaving... what about the person who goes to a friends house to watch a game. If you're the neighbor and you saw them have a beer or two in the backyard are you then chasing them down the block?

You were not in the car with the "offensive" driver so you don't know what the context of that phone call was.  Sick family member, important business info to pass on? Perhaps he was late for a meeting and getting last directions.  I have found myself in my car with my bluetooth sitting on my desk and needed to call work to pass on important info...and yes in that case I made the call because I had to. If I'd gotten pulled over I would have explained my situation... but then again I guess in my case I could say it was an important police matter since I work in law enforcement.

Written By: iquestion on 10/20/08 at 5:08 pm

A burglary in progress does not compare to someone using a cell phone while driving.

A burglary is a misdemeanor or a felony in depending on the circs 

Driving while using a cell phone is an infraction.  An officer has to witness an infraction before issuing a citation. Misdemeanors caught in the act are punishable by fine and or incarceration....

If you call in a burglary and the suspect leaves but the police are able to gather enough evidence to link it to a suspect then there is an arrest.

If you call in someone talking on a cell phone and an officer happens to be in the area the officer can cite the person if he/she witnesses the violation for themselves... but they cannot issue a citation if the person is off the phone by the time they get because your eyewitness account is not enough for the officer to act on that violation.

And yes... perhaps bartenders will regulate the drinking and driving...but I was talking about restaurants...someone who has wine with dinner. Or a margarita...would you time them to see how much time had passed between them having a drink or two and them leaving... what about the person who goes to a friends house to watch a game. If you're the neighbor and you saw them have a beer or two in the backyard are you then chasing them down the block?

You were not in the car with the "offensive" driver so you don't know what the context of that phone call was.  Sick family member, important business info to pass on? Perhaps he was late for a meeting and getting last directions.  I have found myself in my car with my bluetooth sitting on my desk and needed to call work to pass on important info...and yes in that case I made the call because I had to. If I'd gotten pulled over I would have explained my situation... but then again I guess in my case I could say it was an important police matter since I work in law enforcement.

Good insight.

Is there a law where you are regarding the phone use?

I made a call to a police traffic division and one to a talk radio program..the police pointed out how the phone use IS an infraction and THEY would issue a ticket when warranted.
They uderstood my point of frustration as well and in any case of a drunk leaving a bar to drive, I would be well within reason to call in on them to have them followed if they may be a potential problem to  other drivers saftey.

Now, the radio show told me (the officers hadn't been aware), that it was a secondary offense- I haven't heard that one-so I am trusting the police info first..
and that as of Jan. 1 it becomes a primary offense.

Either way....the guy broke the law most likely..he could tell his reasoning to the cops,( why he couldn't pull over on a city street), as they say...

I will now pass on the frustration. 

Written By: snozberries on 10/21/08 at 1:22 am

Good insight.

Is there a law where you are regarding the phone use?

I made a call to a police traffic division and one to a talk radio program..the police pointed out how the phone use IS an infraction and THEY would issue a ticket when warranted.
They uderstood my point of frustration as well and in any case of a drunk leaving a bar to drive, I would be well within reason to call in on them to have them followed if they may be a potential problem to  other drivers saftey.

Now, the radio show told me (the officers hadn't been aware), that it was a secondary offense- I haven't heard that one-so I am trusting the police info first..
and that as of Jan. 1 it becomes a primary offense.

Either way....the guy broke the law most likely..he could tell his reasoning to the cops,( why he couldn't pull over on a city street), as they say...

I will now pass on the frustration. 

Like you I am in CA. In fact I was driving in LA today- I don't know where you drive in LA but the areas I frequent aren't the most parking friendly areas. I wouldn't pull over because there isn't anywhere to pull over too.... plus- if the person is late then pulling over will only make them later. 

Again I say- perhaps they forgot their bluetooth or the battery died and the phone call was too important to ignore.

Remember- there's more to reality than your perception. I bet there are times in your day you wouldn't want someone to freeze a moment and make a judgment of you based only on what they perceive to be true  because you know that there are many elements that occurred prior to that moment that would easily explain the situation. 

Check for new replies or respond here...