inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anybody have an iphone?

Written By: Tia on 10/28/08 at 2:26 pm

if so, do you like it? i'm thinking of getting one.

Subject: Re: Anybody have an iphone?

Written By: snozberries on 10/28/08 at 2:35 pm

Me too... I kinda want one really bad.

Written By: Jessica on 10/28/08 at 3:09 pm

I sort of want one, but I'm attached to my Moto Razr.

This is where you guys need to ask if anyone has any money so you can buy one. ;D

Written By: gumbypiz on 10/28/08 at 4:02 pm

Have a few friends that have an iPhone, it’s a great phone, but from a purely biased standpoint, I don’t see many advantages of an iPhone over other smartphones, i.e. Palm, Gphone or the upcoming Blackberry Storm/Thunder (which I believe will blow all other smartphones out of the water). For entertainment, photos, videos and music, pay up for the iPhone, for other applications like business and the like check out something else or get a iPod Touch and keep your cell you have.

It comes down to my same issue I have with most Apple products, I feel locked down and not as much freedom to customize than I have with others, no matter how slick and user friendly the initial grouped package is. I don’t like having to have iTunes just to load or listen to music and watch video on the iPhone.  DRM is mostly gone from iTunes now, but its damn intrusive nonetheless. I also find the way they’ve treated their own loyal customers as to pricing, re-pricing and repair issues to be troubling.

There are also issues with the on screen keyboard, if you text a lot or use it for email/business purposes, the iPhones keyboard is a serious hindrance. The battery is sealed and needs to be sent out to Apple for repair/replacement is also off-putting.  As a regular cell phone, its only average, the sound quality and reception (no matter what network) is just OK (and sometimes worse) from what I’ve experienced. If you operate in an area where coverage is spotty to begin with, this is not the phone for you.

Other than that, I’ll admit the iPhone is one slick piece, aesthetically it looks great, and the screen size for both internet and video viewing are the best on the market (the internet browser is too). The integrated touch screen launcher for apps and the icons are very slick, intuitive and easy to use.
That being said, you can find any number of apps for any other type of smart phone that have similar features or mimic the look and feel of an iPhone if you must really have it for your smartphone.
Obviously you can tell I’m biased, I have a Palm Centro. It does everything the iPhone does (minus the slick exterior design and screen size), has a real qwerty keyboard, plus a good deal more. I can also swap memory cards (4GB) and batteries on the fly without shipping it off to Apple to do so...plus I got mine for less than half as much than an iPhone.

Written By: La Roche on 10/28/08 at 4:05 pm

I have a touch screen palm computer and a cell phone. As far as I can tell these combined together equate to an Iphone. I was messing with my friend's iphone and thought it was kind of neat but the service for my two (admittedly paid for by my boss) don't even combine to cost as much as an i.phone and do more than everything I need.

(Note the three spellings of Iphone as I still don't know the correct one!)

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/28/08 at 6:52 pm

I have the iPhone - the first generation.  Still have not bought the 3G (did not want to pay the extra to change contract).  I love my iPhone, it does everything I want, syncs well with the applications. My internet is available anytime, and the contract is no more than it was for my regular cell phone (and ATT's unlimited internet is cheaper than verizon's).  This is my first smartphone, and I do not have any experience with others (I just typically had a cell phone before).  But as I was looking for a smartphone, as my business life has gotten much busier and needed planner and etc... I was looking for a smartphone, enter the iPhone... I got it when the price dropped $200 and I paid less than what I was going to pay for a blackberry, so I chose the iPhone. I do like Mac and do a lot with my Macbook, so the syncing is great.

Not sure if this helps, I am not a real techy; I just know what I like, and the iPhone is tons easier to operate than my husbands blackberry (I like the touch screen). 

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/08 at 8:41 pm

T-Mobile recently introduced a phone that blows the iPhone away ...

The T-Mobile G1 with Google.  It has a touch screen, full keyboard and comes with a 1GB chip.  If I had a need for a cellphone, I would definately get a G1

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/09/g1officialnewnew.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 10/28/08 at 10:31 pm

The T-Mobile G1 with Google.  It has a touch screen, full keyboard and comes with a 1GB chip.  If I had a need for a cellphone, I would definately get a G1

OMG That is pretty amazing.... that shop savvy feature is pretty nifty!

I may have to look into this!

Written By: snozberries on 10/28/08 at 10:40 pm

I suppose it doesn't make sense for me to get either right now since santa barbara is not a 3g area.

Written By: gumbypiz on 10/29/08 at 12:25 am

If you've used or tried an iPhone and noted the total integrated design and user interface and its visual asthetic, the Gphone dosen't even come close to an iPhone (and thats coming from and iPhone distractor).
The Gphone does the job very well, it has many of the functions, but if you look at it
http://uk.gizmodo.com/iphone%20medium.jpg
(even the pic you submitted) you can see its rather clunky looking in comparison.
The iPhone is a very slick, one piece unit, a ultra smooth design, with highly polished finish and very top of the line high tech look.
I.e. the iPhone is a Aston Martin, the Gphone is a GT500 Mustang, the Mustang is just as quick and functional, and will do the job, but with less finesse....I truly believe, at this point, the overall finish and tightness of the design, the total package will sway most people to the iPhone, even though the Gphone is a bargain for its price and functionality...plus the support for the Gphone, (apps software, etc) has yet to be seen or realized...

Written By: Tia on 10/29/08 at 8:36 am

well, i went out and looked at some iphones last night and i just don't use a phone enough to rate a 70-dollar-a-month cellphone fee. i sorta just want the games, the internet and the GPS and all that stuff, but with a pay-as-you-go phone plan. is there anybody who offers something like that?

Written By: La Roche on 10/29/08 at 9:19 am

well, i went out and looked at some iphones last night and i just don't use a phone enough to rate a 70-dollar-a-month cellphone fee. i sorta just want the games, the internet and the GPS and all that stuff, but with a pay-as-you-go phone plan. is there anybody who offers something like that?

You'd wind up paying way more.

Go my way. Have two.

Alternatively, convince your employer that you need a palm computer and a phone and then make the point that there are numerous combined efforts.

Written By: Tia on 10/29/08 at 11:01 am

You'd wind up paying way more.

Go my way. Have two.

Alternatively, convince your employer that you need a palm computer and a phone and then make the point that there are numerous combined efforts.
hmm, maybe an iPod Touch and a landline is what i need.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

+

http://www.whatistruth.info/oldphone.jpg

Written By: midnite on 10/29/08 at 6:34 pm

I love my iphone which only cost $200.  The only downers are that you cannot text pics (however, you can email them) and sometimes (and only sometimes) typing can be difficult due to the small letters.

Everything else is great - phone, camera, ipod, gps, email, applications (stock screener, translator, weather, stanza book reader, pacman, frogger, games).

The platform is VERY smooth and user friendly. 

I easily store 400 songs and 2000 pics on this with plenty more room for applications.

Written By: NbC on 10/30/08 at 5:11 am

You can jailbreak (unlock) an iPhone.  Which would allow you to select your carrier.  Never tried it because I can't afford an iPhone, but it is an option and it seems simple enough.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/10/10/jailbreaking-and-unlocking-an-iphone-what-you-need-to-know

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/30/08 at 5:26 am

I'm waiting for a phone to come out that does my laundry... THEN I'll invest.  Until then I'll keep my cheap-o Net10 non-bellsandwhistles phone.  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...