inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I'm Dreaming of a White...Haloween?

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/29/08 at 4:29 pm

In some places, yes it will be!

But not here, where I live.

Subject: Re: I'm Dreaming of a White...Haloween?

Written By: star500 on 10/29/08 at 5:42 pm

Well, in Canada we may end up having a white Halloween but maybe not. It snowed all day yesterday and a little bit today. It's supposed to go up to 12 degrees Celisus here on Halloween, which is about 53 degrees Farhenheit, for those of you that are American. I'm not sure if the snow will stay or not seeing as we got about 15cm, which is about 5 in of snow. We'll just have to see on the day if the snow is still here or not.

Written By: midnite on 10/29/08 at 6:29 pm

I snowed here in New Jersey yesterday, which is CRAZY!!!!!!!

Written By: Dagwood on 10/29/08 at 6:47 pm

It's not going to snow here until Tuesday.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/29/08 at 6:56 pm

Lived in New England my entire life, I recall no white Halloweens in the region.  We had a few white Thanksgivings, though.

Written By: karen on 10/29/08 at 8:33 pm

Lived in New England my entire life, I recall no white Halloweens in the region.  We had a few white Thanksgivings, though.

Odd.  I was talking to someone at the weekend who said he was ski-ing on Halloween about three years ago.  I think he lives in New Hampshire

Written By: snozberries on 10/29/08 at 8:58 pm

I am SO glad I live in California!

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/30/08 at 3:17 pm

I did too.

In 1950, my city had a big snowstorm on that Thanksgiving.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/08 at 9:15 pm

Odd.  I was talking to someone at the weekend who said he was ski-ing on Halloween about three years ago.  I think he lives in New Hampshire

Well, they make phony-snow up in the mountains, and sometimes you get natural snow at higher lattitudes of normal N.E. as early as the third week of October. 

Written By: karen on 10/30/08 at 10:42 pm

Well, they make phony-snow up in the mountains, and sometimes you get natural snow at higher lattitudes of normal N.E. as early as the third week of October. 

He said it was real proper snow rather than the fake stuff.  As I say he lives somewhere in New Hampshire so it could well be up in the hills

Written By: ninny on 10/31/08 at 12:48 pm

It snowed were I live on Tuesday,today it is sunny and 62 :)

Written By: karen on 10/31/08 at 12:56 pm

It snowed were I live on Tuesday,today it is sunny and 62 :)

A mum at school on Wednesday said she saw snow falling on Tuesday evening.  we just got rain

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/31/08 at 9:14 pm

It was a great night for trick or treating - warm, clear and 65 degrees.... The kids wore their costumes with no coats and were comfortable the whole time. Absolutely beautiful weather here in Iowa... But we have our fair share of Rain and Cold on Halloween; and the occasional snowfall.  But not this year, awsome 8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/31/08 at 9:27 pm

He said it was real proper snow rather than the fake stuff.  As I say he lives somewhere in New Hampshire so it could well be up in the hills

Perhaps at high elevations in the White Mountains.  In general, we'd get our first accumulating snowfall in November and, at least since the late 1970s, consistent snowcover throughout the region from about xmas through the middle of March.
Of course, we used to get more snow and colder temperatures earlier in the 20th century before I was even born.

Written By: greenjello74 on 11/08/08 at 7:56 pm

I remember it snowed around  birthday 10/10 in 1987. I was living about 45 miles south of Albany N.Y. It created so many problems 'cause the leaves were still on the trees.
From The NY Times:

EARLY SNOWSTORM COVERS NORTHEAST

By ROBERT D. MCFADDEN
Published: October 5, 1987

LEAD: The earliest snowstorm on record struck New York, Connecticut and other parts of New England yesterday, burying some areas in more than a foot of snow that closed roads and airports, knocked out power to more than 300,000 homes and turned russet autumn to wintry solitude.

The earliest snowstorm on record struck New York, Connecticut and other parts of New England yesterday, burying some areas in more than a foot of snow that closed roads and airports, knocked out power to more than 300,000 homes and turned russet autumn to wintry solitude.

The storm - an Oct. 4 marvel caused by a collision of cold and soggy air masses - was the earliest in the region since the Army Signal Corps began keeping weather records in 1870. It eclipsed one that blew in on Oct. 10, 1925, and it even toppled the 150-year-old unofficial record - a blizzard that almanackers say hit on Oct. 6, 1836.

Coastal areas of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut were lashed by cold rain but were spared by temperatures in the 40's from the snow that fell heavily over a wide band of colder mountains and hills in the Northeast. #20 Inches in New York The National Weather Service reported snow accumulations of up to 20 inches in upstate New York, 18 inches in western Massachusetts, 12 inches in Vermont and 9 inches in Connecticut. The northwest corner of New Jersey had 3 inches.

The snow caught the region by surprise. The National Weather Service had forecast unseasonably cool weather and snow showers over parts of New York and New England, but there had been no talk of a walloping big storm. Temperatures, in fact, skidded to new lows along much of the Eastern Seaboard, and records were tied or broken in 37 cities.

From the Catskills and Berkshires of upstate New York to the Green and White Mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire, the snow transformed the landscape, isolating entire communities and cloaking valleys and slopes that had only just begun to blush with red, orange and yellow.

Written By: greenjello74 on 11/08/08 at 7:59 pm

Oh I miss the snow and cold weather... Although we did get snow last year a trace amount. It was so funny cause it was the lead story on all the local news. They all had the same picture, 2 snowflakes on a car hood in Daytona Beach!!!!! I live about 30 miles south of there in Fla.
I think it was around Thanksgiving.
They turned the lights on on the Helipad where my husband works so they could see it.

Check for new replies or respond here...