inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Day The Earth Stood Still (Re-make) 12/12/2008

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/03/08 at 6:58 pm

I just saw a trailer for this and I have to admit I'm excited about this remake starring Keanu Reeves.  The original black & white film is from the early 50's and it scared the crap outta me.  With today's special effects, the new version should be uhhh...excellent

Subject: Re: The Day The Earth Stood Still (Re-make) 12/12/2008

Written By: whistledog on 11/03/08 at 9:41 pm

They got a BIG giant poster of it at the local Cineplex Odeon.  I can hardly wait to see it.  Plus, I'll watch anything with Jennifer Connelly in it; Loved her since the 90s when I saw 'Career Opportunities'.  Paul Bettany is one lucky man!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/03/08 at 9:51 pm

They got a BIG giant poster of it at the local Cineplex Odeon.  I can hardly wait to see it.  Plus, I'll watch anything with Jennifer Connelly in it; Loved her since the 90s when I saw 'Career Opportunities'.  Paul Bettany is one lucky man!

oh yeah, Jennifer C is also in it. this looks like it's gonna be a superb remake, even for the 1951 original film fans.

Written By: whistledog on 11/03/08 at 10:11 pm

Back in 1951, special effects consisted of foam balls (painted to look like planets) hanging on invisible wires, set against a black board with white dots painted on to look like stars :D

1951 fans will be BLOWN away by what Hollywood can do today.  It worked for Journey to the Centre of the Earth (despite though the 3-D portion of the DVD release wasn't all that great)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/03/08 at 10:16 pm

Back in 1951, special effects consisted of foam balls (painted to look like planets) hanging on invisible wires, set against a black board with white dots painted on to look like stars :D

1951 fans will be BLOWN away by what Hollywood can do today.  It worked for Journey to the Centre of the Earth (despite though the 3-D portion of the DVD release wasn't all that great)
I did not see JttCotE but now maybe I will. the orig Day the Earth was intense for that time. I remember that fake giant robot GORT scaring the crap out of me with his laser beam coming out of his face  http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020xRzA9JlckAjpCjzbkF/SIG=1247c4sa7/EXP=1225858513/**http%3A//www.davidszondy.com/future/robot/gort.jpg

Written By: Tia on 11/06/08 at 9:59 am

i have to protest to those saying that the day the earth stood still special effects suck. if you've ever seen it on the big screen, the special effects are actually very good. they'd gotten really good with stop animation and high-speed cameras.

check out "earth vs. the flying saucers" sometime, it takes some of the tricks from day the earth stood still and perfects them.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/07/08 at 9:02 pm

I just saw a trailer for this and I have to admit I'm excited about this remake starring Keanu Reeves.  The original black & white film is from the early 50's and it scared the crap outta me.  With today's special effects, the new version should be uhhh...excellent

Duuuude! Klaatu barada nikto!
:-\\

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/07/08 at 11:57 pm

Duuuude! Klaatu barada nikto!
:-\\

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020oaJxVJ_14AYaejzbkF/SIG=12ia8rph8/EXP=1226209434/**http%3A//www.worstpreviews.com/images/headlines/headline4363.jpg  whoa..duuuude!  MaxwellSmart Esq. speaks alien  :o

i have to protest to those saying that the day the earth stood still special effects suck. if you've ever seen it on the big screen, the special effects are actually very good. they'd gotten really good with stop animation and high-speed cameras.

check out "earth vs. the flying saucers" sometime, it takes some of the tricks from day the earth stood still and perfects them.
I must concur and align myself with the review of my esteemed colleague. I've seen this film many times and it's not bad. for 1951 the effects are pretty darn good. and when they first show Gort standing outside the saucer, with that excellent ominous scary background music, well, it's intense and enjoyable and it was made 59 years ago  :o    here's a clip of the original http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjHziasA7s8

Written By: Mushroom on 11/09/08 at 8:33 am

Oh wow, Ted Logan meets more aliens?

Let's just hope that this time the alien is more believeable then Station was. 

:D

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/10/08 at 12:02 pm

Hollywood has no original backbone.

No wonder the 00's sucked ass!

Written By: Tia on 11/10/08 at 12:06 pm

i saw the preview the other night and it looks like a completely different movie with the same name. i'll probably still see it, though, i like movies where stuff blows up good.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/10/08 at 12:10 pm

1951 fans will be BLOWN away by what Hollywood can do today. 

What? You think we have been living in a vacuum and haven't seen what goes on in Hollywood?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/10/08 at 8:12 pm

What? You think we have been living in a vacuum and haven't seen what goes on in Hollywood?

If I owned Hollywood and a vacuum, I'd live in the vacuum and rent out Hollywood!
:D

The TDESS remake is superfluous.  The original was not only brave for its time, but it has aged well.  The dialogue style is dated, but the meat of it is in the moment. 

Reporter: I suppose you are just as scared as the rest of us.
Klaatu: In a different way, perhaps. I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
(reporter yanks microphone away)

Written By: Mushroom on 04/26/09 at 7:14 am

Well, I finally got to see the movie last night.

UGH.  A classic movie about Cold War paranoia is turned into an "Oh my God, we have to save the planet!" movie.

One thing I have to wonder though, did anybody think about the fact that at the end of the movie, probably 2 billion people would be dead by the same time next year?

And that is being conservative in the figures.  Odds are it would be more like 3-4 billion dead.

And once again, Hollyweird ruins a movie.  At least this time, the mass deaths will happen off-screen.

Check for new replies or respond here...