inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Rap trend is fading fast!

Written By: 80sfan on 11/04/08 at 4:34 pm

I don't here that much rap on the radio anymore! It's more like dance/r and b now. I'm actually starting to like music again. Years from now the 2000's will be parodied by people who dress up as rappers and chains, grills, bling bling. I knew rap would disappear, but I didn't think it would fade by 2008. I thought that it would be 2010 at least before we would we some change in the airplay of glam rap.

Subject: Re: The Rap trend is fading fast!

Written By: danootaandme on 11/04/08 at 5:30 pm

Well it's been around since the 70's, and like all forms of music it will be incorporated and reworked. 

Written By: Entouch on 11/04/08 at 9:50 pm

I don't here that much rap on the radio anymore! It's more like dance/r and b now. I'm actually starting to like music again. Years from now the 2000's will be parodied by people who dress up as rappers and chains, grills, bling bling. I knew rap would disappear, but I didn't think it would fade by 2008. I thought that it would be 2010 at least before we would we some change in the airplay of glam rap.

I dont think the rap trend is ever going to fade. Since the 80s, its permeated into mainstream/pop culture so much that it has influenced the next generation. I do believe rap music has become too saturated now because it hurt alot of rock bands not getting enough radio or video airplay. I know for a fact that rap music is not very popular in other parts of the country but here in New York( where rap originated ) it generates an allegiance of fans that will make sure it never fade away.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/04/08 at 10:35 pm

Actually, West Coast rap is starting to make a comeback. The Game, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, Warren G, and Dr. Dre all either have CD's released in 2008 or will be released in late '08/early '09.

Written By: whistledog on 11/04/08 at 10:43 pm

Rap, Hip-Hop and R&B are a dominating force in America.  Everytime I gaze upon the US chart, it pains me to see crappy music is popular

Here in Canada, Rap and Hip-Hop is also popular, but nowhere near as in the US.  In our charts, it's a mix of Country, Alt Rock and R&B.  Rap and Hip-Hop are only a small portion of the charts here, but the Music Video channels play rap/hip-hop videos like mad

Subject: Re: The CRap trend is fading fast!

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/05/08 at 10:21 am

Re: The CRap trend is fading fast!   ???

Must mean, with the rapid deforestation, we're running out of paper .... so CRap has to GO !    8)

:D

Written By: tv on 11/05/08 at 4:56 pm

Rap, Hip-Hop and R&B are a dominating force in America.  Everytime I gaze upon the US chart, it pains me to see crappy music is popular

Here in Canada, Rap and Hip-Hop is also popular, but nowhere near as in the US.  In our charts, it's a mix of Country, Alt Rock and R&B.  Rap and Hip-Hop are only a small portion of the charts here, but the Music Video channels play rap/hip-hop videos like mad
R&B has always charted in America its not its new in the 00's that R&B charts so well. I mean you can look at a Billboard Chart from 18-20 years ago and Bobby Brown, Keith Sweat, and Johnny Gill were on the charts in 1988-1990.

As far as Hip-Hop goes I agree and I disagree with you it did dominate the Us Chart from 2003-early 2006 mainly because of 50 Cent's popularity. In 2007-early 2008 it was ringtone rap that charted so well with alot of one hit wonders. T.I. and Lil Wayne are the only rappers to really chart well from the mid point of 2008 till now.

Written By: tv on 11/05/08 at 5:13 pm

I dont think the rap trend is ever going to fade. Since the 80s, its permeated into mainstream/pop culture so much that it has influenced the next generation. I do believe rap music has become too saturated now because it hurt alot of rock bands not getting enough radio or video airplay. I know for a fact that rap music is not very popular in other parts of the country but here in New York( where rap originated ) it generates an allegiance of fans that will make sure it never fade away.
I live in Central New Jersey so understand what your talking about that rap has a big popularity in NYC. Rap music really didn;t have that popularity on the East Coast say like back in 1996. I think It was still alternative rock, pop-rock, and Euro-Dance that was a big draw in 1996 in my opinion where I live in NJ. Its interesting that rap has a big popularity in NYC still because the only rapper from NYC that has charted real well in the past 5 years is 50 Cent. I mean T.I. is from the midwest, Kanye West is from Chicago, and Lil Wayne is from New Orleans I think.

NYC has 2 rap/Hip-Hop stations but Z100 (a Top 40 radio) has the top rated station in Northeastern New Jersey.

I agree with your saturation point of rap music it maybe became way too commercial in the past 5-11 years.

I used too listen to rap music in 2005 but the last 3.5 years rap music has sucked.

Written By: tv on 11/05/08 at 5:24 pm

Yeah the bling, chains, and the teeth will be looked at in the 2010's like the bad fashions of the 80's were looked at in the 90's.

Well I thought the second half of 2009 glam rap would fade a few years ago but with the bad economy in the US who wants to listen to glam rap?

Written By: tv on 11/05/08 at 5:47 pm

Well some pop-country has charted in America in the past year like Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift. I don;t know whats up with Rock not charting well in America on the Billboard Hot 100 I mean even when the Alt Rock bands would chart in the early to mid 90's it would be like they would chart anywhere from #40-#55 on the chart.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/05/08 at 5:58 pm

I'm sorry people, I meant to say Glam Rap! Like Ja Rule, 50 cent, Lil' John? People are finally realizing how retarded their music is! Those artists/singers might not be dumb, but their music sure is! This has got to be the worse decade in music history!

Written By: tv on 11/05/08 at 6:07 pm

I'm sorry people, I meant to say Glam Rap! Like Ja Rule, 50 cent, Lil' John? People are finally realizing how retarded their music is! Those artists/singers might not be dumb, but their music sure is! This has got to be the worse decade in music history!
A quick note: Ja Rule hasn;t scored a hit since 2004.

Subject: Re: The CRap trend is fading fast!

Written By: greenjello74 on 11/06/08 at 10:13 am

???

Must mean, with the rapid deforestation, we're running out of paper .... so CRap has to GO !    8)

ditto

:D

Written By: Midas on 11/06/08 at 10:24 am

It may be fading in the current Top 40 market (although I just went out to a club Saturday night that was playing current hip-hop/rap alongside some old school trax) but it's being resurrected in certain markets.  Phoenix just lost one of the last dance music stations in the nation, Energy-FM (92.7/101.1 FM), and flipped it to The Beat (above frequencies plus 99.3), an "old-school" hip-hop format (80's to 2003-ish).  Although there's four other stations in the valley that play hip-hop (Power 98.3, KISS-FM 104.7, 101.5 JAMZ and sometimes Movin 97.5), I've checked out The Beat and it ain't half bad.  They could use a stronger transmitter. :P

I personally don't think it's fading as fast as the OP states, but that may depend on the area one is living in.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/15/08 at 9:23 pm

R&B has always charted in America its not its new in the 00's that R&B charts so well. I mean you can look at a Billboard Chart from 18-20 years ago and Bobby Brown, Keith Sweat, and Johnny Gill were on the charts in 1988-1990.

As far as Hip-Hop goes I agree and I disagree with you it did dominate the Us Chart from 2003-early 2006 mainly because of 50 Cent's popularity. In 2007-early 2008 it was ringtone rap that charted so well with alot of one hit wonders. T.I. and Lil Wayne are the only rappers to really chart well from the mid point of 2008 till now.

Yeah, I've noticed too that there's not alot of pure R&B (without any rap influence) since the mid '90s. Something like Boyz II Men or "Nobody Knows" by Tony Rich Project (that's a great slow jam, one of my favorite songs of 1996).

I think rap in general has sustained popularity just because of how commonplace it is, especially for people to play in clubs and stuff. But I agree it's really a hot thing anymore and there's lots of one hit wonders and ringtone-style in the mid '00s. I know you like that "Check Your Coat" song by Oneal Mcknight (I actually only heard of it when you posted a thread on it) and I'm hoping mainstream hip hop goes more in this direction in the '10s.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/16/08 at 2:36 pm

Well it's been around since the 70's, and like all forms of music it will be incorporated and reworked. 

I'd say it's been the biggest influence on pop music for the past 25 years; however, rock 'n' roll in 1980 didn't sound much like Bill Haley and the Comets!

Written By: tv on 11/16/08 at 4:45 pm

Yeah, I've noticed too that there's not alot of pure R&B (without any rap influence) since the mid '90s. Something like Boyz II Men or "Nobody Knows" by Tony Rich Project (that's a great slow jam, one of my favorite songs of 1996).

I think rap in general has sustained popularity just because of how commonplace it is, especially for people to play in clubs and stuff. But I agree it's really a hot thing anymore and there's lots of one hit wonders and ringtone-style in the mid '00s. I know you like that "Check Your Coat" song by Oneal Mcknight (I actually only heard of it when you posted a thread on it) and I'm hoping mainstream hip hop goes more in this direction in the '10s.
I think rap music is gonna be like it was in the 90's in the 2010: just another genre and not dominate like it did in the mid 00's.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/16/08 at 8:17 pm

I live in Central New Jersey so understand what your talking about that rap has a big popularity in NYC. Rap music really didn;t have that popularity on the East Coast say like back in 1996. I think It was still alternative rock, pop-rock, and Euro-Dance that was a big draw in 1996 in my opinion where I live in NJ. Its interesting that rap has a big popularity in NYC still because the only rapper from NYC that has charted real well in the past 5 years is 50 Cent. I mean T.I. is from the midwest, Kanye West is from Chicago, and Lil Wayne is from New Orleans I think.

NYC has 2 rap/Hip-Hop stations but Z100 (a Top 40 radio) has the top rated station in Northeastern New Jersey.

I agree with your saturation point of rap music it maybe became way too commercial in the past 5-11 years.

I used too listen to rap music in 2005 but the last 3.5 years rap music has sucked.

Rap has always been popular on the East coast. It's where it originated.

T.I. is from Atlanta, not the Midwest.

Written By: midnite on 11/17/08 at 4:51 pm

The rap trend has not faded fast at all.  Rap/Hip hop has been going downhill since the late 90s.  Somehow, it has remained in the forefront of mainstream music over the past few years.

It is easy to see that Rap/Hip Hop is a matured genre and is no longer growing like it did up through the mid-90s.  Especially since it has been on top and dominating mainstream music.  There is only one way to go and that is down. 

Has anyone listened to the lyrics of these mainstream Rap/Hip Hop hits of the past 3 or 4 years?  Are the lyrics of any major hits insightful or meaningful like those rap songs of the 80s and 90s?  I think not.  (reminds me - i will post a topic to challenge this)

It is just another music genre.  That is all.  The only "new" music genre (in the US mainstream) these days is reggaeton.  I am not a fan of reggaeton, but I respect its youth and growth potential.

Written By: tv on 11/17/08 at 6:04 pm

Rap has always been popular on the East coast. It's where it originated.

T.I. is from Atlanta, not the Midwest.
Tanya, in my opinion when Puff Daddy hit big in 1997-mid 1998 thats when the rap trend made a major impact in my opinion. Thank for the point on where T.I. is from.

Written By: midnite on 11/17/08 at 6:13 pm

Puff Daddy single-handed drove rap music into the ground.  That is when "the producer" became "the rapper."  Materialism took over the scene.  Do we really want to hear Puff Daddy or Jermaine Dupri rap or say "Uh huh" 10 times.  No!  And Timbaland, okay you are good at beats, but vocally you are horrendous!

Examples of annoying producers in music and videos:
Nelly Furtado - Say It Right.   Is it necessary for Timbaland have to show his goofy face every 10 seconds in this video?   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-ADQg8Qcis

Nelly Furtado - Give It Me.    Not only is Timbaland's voice annoying, but his lyrics have to be some of the WEAKEST lyrics ever!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZrmW2CPWiU

Mariah Cary - Its Like That.   Why does that little pipsqueak Jermaine Dupri have to say "yeah" and "uh-huh" every 30 seconds. So annoying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRxuiL2A_zg

Puff Daddy - Bad Boy For Life.  Just sucks as a rapper. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O42--nfpDI

Written By: tv on 11/17/08 at 6:41 pm

Puff Daddy single-handed drove rap music into the ground.  That is when "the producer" became "the rapper."  Materialism took over the scene.  Do we really want to hear Puff Daddy or Jermaine Dupri rap or say "Uh huh" 10 times.  No!  And Timbaland, okay you are good at beats, but vocally you are horrendous!

Examples of annoying producers in music and videos:
Nelly Furtado - Say It Right.   Is it necessary for Timbaland have to show his goofy face every 10 seconds in this video?   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-ADQg8Qcis

Nelly Furtado - Give It Me.    Not only is Timbaland's voice annoying, but his lyrics have to be some of the WEAKEST lyrics ever!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZrmW2CPWiU

Mariah Cary - Its Like That.   Why does that little pipsqueak Jermaine Dupri have to say "yeah" and "uh-huh" every 30 seconds. So annoying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRxuiL2A_zg

Puff Daddy - Bad Boy For Life.  Just sucks as a rapper. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O42--nfpDI

Puff Daddy- I think "Its All About The Benjamin's" was the best track that Puffy ever rapped on even though it is hard to like the guy as a rapper.  2006's "Last Nite" w/ Keyshia Cole on it was pretty good too.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/11/09 at 7:59 am

I was wrong, rap hasn't faded, but it's more techno now!

Written By: joeman on 06/11/09 at 1:08 pm

Yeah, I agree that rap isn't what is used to be, but I think what influenced Rap music in the 00's alot was the steady economy we had before we went to the recession last year.  Rap in the late 80's and early-mid 90's rappers didn't need to rap all the time about how much they had.

Written By: Midas on 06/11/09 at 3:55 pm

Puff Daddy- I think "Its All About The Benjamin's" was the best track that Puffy ever rapped on even though it is hard to like the guy as a rapper.  2006's "Last Nite" w/ Keyshia Cole on it was pretty good too.

This amuses me as that song has the line, "Don't let the melody intrigue you..."  Melody?!?  WHAT melody?  It's ONE FREAKIN' NOTE!

Someone should give him a Puffy lip so he shuts up and sticks to producing.

Written By: 90steen on 06/12/09 at 4:42 pm

Actually, the music on the radio is rap, but not the rap we've been hearing. It's more like Club Rap.

Rap was really big in 2008 and i think it may have been the biggest year for it in history. I don't think rap is dying but they're doing different twists to it.

They've had dance rap, gangsta rap, glam rap, etc...

I lost interest at glam rap.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/12/09 at 9:29 pm

Rap has never been the same since it hit its peak with Sir Mixalot's "Baby Got Back"...

Written By: Kyle23 on 06/15/09 at 5:18 pm

I think rap music is gonna be like it was in the 90's in the 2010: just another genre and not dominate like it did in the mid 00's.

Dance and electropop is going to be all over the place in the 2010s...it is starting already.  I can see a trance thing too.

Written By: whistledog on 06/15/09 at 6:15 pm

Dance and electropop is going to be all over the place in the 2010s...it is starting already.  I can see a trance thing too.

The only trance around here is the one you are apparently in.  How do you know what's going to take place in the 2010s?  If you can see into the future, why don't you use that gift to win big money ???

Written By: 80sfan on 06/15/09 at 6:56 pm

The only trance around here is the one you are apparently in.  How do you know what's going to take place in the 2010s?  If you can see into the future, why don't you use that gift to win big money ???

Whoa, calm down dude. The guy is just talking to get things moving. He knows that you can't know the future. It's just a thread, don't take it so seriously.

And the guy's 'prediction' isn't dumb, even if it's wrong. It's a reasonable prediction and I can see why he made it. With all the auto-tune and electro-rap/pop on the radio, I can't see rock or anything else dominating anytime soon.

Written By: whistledog on 06/15/09 at 7:15 pm

He knows that you can't know the future.

Does he really? 

Written By: 80sfan on 06/15/09 at 7:49 pm

Does he really? 

Hmm, maybe you're right!  ;D

Written By: Kyle23 on 06/15/09 at 9:00 pm

Whoa, calm down dude. The guy is just talking to get things moving. He knows that you can't know the future. It's just a thread, don't take it so seriously.

And the guy's 'prediction' isn't dumb, even if it's wrong. It's a reasonable prediction and I can see why he made it. With all the auto-tune and electro-rap/pop on the radio, I can't see rock or anything else dominating anytime soon.

I noticed that even the rock has the dance sound in it...electroemo in 2007-2008 and we got Kevin Rudulf and 3!03h and The Veronicas.

Check for new replies or respond here...