inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sweet Valley High--as a motion picture!

Written By: star500 on 11/08/08 at 11:47 pm

I really think they should make a motion picture movie version of Sweet Valley High. I used to love the books as a kid, I even read the Sweet Valley Twins (middle school) and Sweet Valley Kids (elementary school) books as well. I know they briefly did a TV show of the movie but it would work so much better on the big screen.

For the part of Elizabeth and Jessica Wakefield, I was thinking they could use Blake Lively or maybe Hayden Panettiere. They are so good at split screening movies these days (like the remake of the Parent Trap) that they don't need to use real twins.

Just an idea I had. What does everyone think?

Subject: Re: Sweet Valley High--as a motion picture!

Written By: Jessica on 11/08/08 at 11:50 pm

I really think they should make a motion picture movie version of Sweet Valley High. I used to love the books as a kid, I even read the Sweet Valley Twins (middle school) and Sweet Valley Kids (elementary school) books as well. I know they briefly did a TV show of the movie but it would work so much better on the big screen.

For the part of Elizabeth and Jessica Wakefield, I was thinking they could use Blake Lively or maybe Hayden Panettiere. They are so good at split screening movies these days (like the remake of the Parent Trap) that they don't need to use real twins.

Just an idea I had. What does everyone think?

Yes, but no to Blake Lively.  I can't stand that chick. :P

I loved the Sweet Valley series when I was younger.  Did you ever get to read Sweet Valley University?

Written By: snozberries on 11/09/08 at 8:53 am

I think if they made it now they would try to make it look too much like Gossip Girl or the Hills... personally I think this current trend in teen entertainment needs to pass before they tackle it.

I'll keep it mind tho if I ever get a development deal  ;)

Written By: star500 on 11/09/08 at 3:58 pm

Yes, but no to Blake Lively.  I can't stand that chick. :P

I loved the Sweet Valley series when I was younger.  Did you ever get to read Sweet Valley University?

LOL...well, I just suggested Blake Lively because of her being in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movies, I thought it might bring in more people to watch the movie if they ever were to make it into a movie. But maybe Britney Snow would be better. (The girl from Prom Night)

Yes, I did start to read the Sweet Valley University books but I never really got through all of them. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/09/08 at 9:19 pm

Oh I loved the Sweet Valley books! Did you guys know that there was a short lived TV show of Sweet Valley High?

Written By: snozberries on 11/09/08 at 9:43 pm

Oh I loved the Sweet Valley books! Did you guys know that there was a short lived TV show of Sweet Valley High?

did you know I have a friend who was a regular extra in it?  no you probably didn't...but I do.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/09/08 at 9:43 pm

did you know I have a friend who was a regular extra in it?  no you probably didn't...but I do.

oh ya? that's so cool! 8)

Written By: snozberries on 11/09/08 at 9:44 pm

oh ya? that's so cool! 8)

I didn't know her when she was on it but I totally make fun of her for it now  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/10/08 at 8:25 pm

Did those books actually help girls deal with stuff?  I think "Sweet Valley" was brand new when I was in the 8th grade.

I used to see them around jr. high all the time, along with Judy Blume and S.E. Hinton.

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/08 at 8:25 pm

Did those books actually help girls deal with stuff?

I used to see them around jr. high all the time, along with Judy Blume and S.E. Hinton.

SVH didn't.  neither did SE Hinton.... as for Judy Blume- she explained and normalized alot of what was happened at that age

Written By: Dagwood on 11/10/08 at 8:34 pm

SE Hinton helped me.  Stay gold, Ponyboy.  :D

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/08 at 8:37 pm

and did you.....stay gold?  ;D

crap now I have the Stevie Wonder song from the movie running through my head. 

oh and the book taught me its probably not worth running into a burning building to save a bunch of bratty kids....not matter how much Johnny claims it was worth it.  ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 11/10/08 at 9:13 pm

and did you.....stay gold?   ;D

crap now I have the Stevie Wonder song from the movie running through my head. 

oh and the book taught me its probably not worth running into a burning building to save a bunch of bratty kids....not matter how much Johnny claims it was worth it.   ;)

Yes, I did stay gold as a matter of fact. ;D

The song is in my head too, that's why I had to share.  Evil, aren't I? ;)

That is the second best lesson in the movie...the first being Patrick Swayze is damn fine.

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/08 at 9:14 pm

Yes, I did stay gold as a matter of fact. ;D

The song is in my head too, that's why I had to share.  Evil, aren't I? ;)

That is the second best lesson in the movie...the first being Patrick Swayze is damn fine.

don't hit me but I was totally into Tom Cruise.  ;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/10/08 at 10:37 pm

I read a whole bunch of those Sweet Valley High and Sweet Valley Twins books when I was younger. Never had a chance to check out the Sweet Valley University series. I also watched a few episodes of the Sweet Valley High TV series in the 90's.  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 11/11/08 at 7:30 am

don't hit me but I was totally into Tom Cruise.  ;D

You could be in to TC, I didn't want to share Patrick with anyone.  ;)

Written By: Midas on 11/11/08 at 8:26 am

You could be in to TC, I didn't want to share Patrick with anyone.  ;)

Aww, thank y--, oops, I should've read the rest of this thread. :P :D

Written By: Dagwood on 11/11/08 at 9:51 am

Aww, thank y--, oops, I should've read the rest of this thread. :P :D

Sorry to disappoint you, sweetie. ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/11/08 at 1:44 pm

SVH didn't.  neither did SE Hinton.... as for Judy Blume- she explained and normalized alot of what was happened at that age

I checked out the SVH article on Wiki.  I always assumed those books were in the "After School Special" vein, but they sound more like starter chick-lit! 

The first time I remember the Christian Right trying to ban a book it was Judy Blume's "Deanie" because it made some references to....*gasp*....m-a-s-t-u-r-b-a-t-i-o-n.
:o

I guess I didn't learn much of anything from SE Hinton's novels, but they were fun to read when I was 12.  The movie of "The Outsiders" disappointed me, but I'd already built up my own images of the setting and characters in my mind.  This always happens with books I like.  I must have read "The Outsiders" five times!

;)
My sister, who was even more taken with "The Outsiders" than I, inscribed that on the inner jacket of her copy with one of those glitter pens!
Like a lot of girls, she was in love with Johnny, the golden boy, and Dallas, the bad/sad boy; the two tragic boys who die in the end!
:\'(

Written By: Dagwood on 11/11/08 at 4:59 pm

The bad boys were nice, but Darry will always hold my heart.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/11/08 at 8:20 pm

The bad boys were nice, but Darry will always hold my heart.

I could have used a big brother like Darry!
:\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/15/08 at 8:21 am

I'd like to see a "Saved by the Bell" (original cast) movie for the big screen.  On this go-round, they gang are all teachers at the school.  Maybe Zach is principal and Belding is the Superintendant of Schools.

Check for new replies or respond here...