inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will adult contemporary ever come back?

Written By: 80sfan on 11/12/08 at 2:14 pm

The music we have now in the 2000's is not relevant for adults. All there is is rap and pop. I have listened to 80s music and noticed that there was way more adult contemporary then and even in the 90's. I heard artists like Brian McKnight, Celine Dion, Eric Clapton, and Sarah McLaughlin But when the teen pop explosion of Britney and Nsync happened the target audience went from young adults of 16 to 25 to an age range of 7 to 13 year olds. I miss the times when there were "adult" stuff on the radio. I'm only 20 and is pissed off at all this "kiddy" music. Though I have to admit that rap is fading fast though!

Subject: Re: Will adult contemporary ever come back?

Written By: woops on 11/12/08 at 2:38 pm

Duffy is adult contemporary and Natasha Bedingfield & Kelly Clarkson  appeals to a wide age range

I'm also tired of the majority of the pop acts Disney Channel products.

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/12/08 at 2:57 pm

I'm just tired of the 00's, period!

Written By: tv on 11/12/08 at 3:26 pm

The music we have now in the 2000's is not relevant for adults. All there is is rap and pop. I have listened to 80s music and noticed that there was way more adult contemporary then and even in the 90's. I heard artists like Brian McKnight, Celine Dion, Eric Clapton, and Sarah McLaughlin But when the teen pop explosion of Britney and Nsync happened the target audience went from young adults of 16 to 25 to an age range of 7 to 13 year olds. I miss the times when there were "adult" stuff on the radio. I'm only 20 and is pissed off at all this "kiddy" music. Though I have to admit that rap is fading fast though!

Hey thats what happened in the late 90's sometime I think once Britney hit the music industry stuck to teens as its core audience.

Your right in the 80's too the music was catered too towards adults too I mean adults listened to Prince, Michael Jackson, Billy Ocean, Lionel Richie, or Luther Vandross back then.

That reminds me I heard one of the guys where I work in a guard house he was listening "Stone Temple Pilots" when his vehicle went by me. This guy has to be in his 40's too.

Well you say all there is is pop and rap these days well there was no pop around really from 2003-early 2006 when rap had a stranglehold on the Billboard Hot 100. I think Ashlee Simpson was the only pop artist around that was charting in 2004.

Will A/C ever come back thats a hard question. I mean the music industry nowadays blames the downward trend of record sales(here in the US) on downloading so the music industry just keeps on putting stuff gears towards teens out(refer back to the Britney factor above in my post.) I would say a positive things going for people who want more adult music that we are coming upon a new decade and as everybody knows musical trends vary from decade to decade.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/12/08 at 6:57 pm

There's plenty of AC/soft rock if you want it. Matt Nathanson, OAR, Ingrid Michaleson, Justin Nozuka, Jason Mraz, Gavin DeGraw, Joshua Radin. Then you have artists like Natasha Bedingfield, Leona Lewis, Taylor Swift, Coldplay and others that crossover into market.

Written By: Andria on 11/12/08 at 9:39 pm

These are two adult contemporary/soft rock radio stations that, although based in Portland, Oregon, can be heard via Internet anywhere in the world: KINK-FM (www.kink.fm) and K-103 (www.k103.com) I hope that anyone who is deprived of Adult Contemporary/soft rock who visits these pages and tunes in enjoys the music very much.  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 11/12/08 at 9:56 pm

These are two adult contemporary/soft rock radio stations that, although based in Portland, Oregon, can be heard via Internet anywhere in the world: KINK-FM (www.kink.fm) and K-103 (www.k103.com) I hope that anyone who is deprived of Adult Contemporary/soft rock who visits these pages and tunes in enjoys the music very much.  :)

Thanks for the info. Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with the subject, but is that your picture on the side?  :( Cause if it is you look exquisite. Lol

Written By: Andria on 11/12/08 at 10:04 pm

Thanks for the info. Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with the subject, but is that your picture on the side?  :( Cause if it is you look exquisite. Lol

Yes, 80sfan, it is my picture, and thank you very much for the compliment.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/luvlove.gif

Written By: 80sfan on 11/12/08 at 10:25 pm

Yes, 80sfan, it is my picture, and thank you very much for the compliment.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/luvlove.gif

Okay, enough of my flirting (yes, I'm a guy!)  :-[

Anyways, I hate Miley Cyrus and The Jonah's Brothers as artists, blech! Make "real" music come back!  >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/12/08 at 11:34 pm

Adult contemporary never went anywhere, the name just went out of fashion.  Now they call it stuff like AAA (Adult Acoustic Alternative--which need not be alternaive, acoustic, or particularly adult).  You know, it's the nice, safe music they sell at Starbucks!

James Taylor, Paul McCartney, Jackson Browne, and so forth....
8)

Written By: Mushroom on 11/13/08 at 6:57 am

The biggest problem is that "Top 40" has largely become crap.

The same music nowadays is what becomes Pop.  It seems to me that you either end up listening to angry white-boy Rock, or angry black-boy Rap (with the occasional angry girls thrown into the mix).

Looking back to the 1980's (or even 70's and 60's), music in the last 15 years or so has really stagnated.  There is very little "new", just the same angry hard noise comming out over and over again.

In fact, it brings to mind an old Stan Freberg bit from a great many years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOY6-fttd3Y

Written By: tv on 11/13/08 at 7:02 am

Okay, enough of my flirting (yes, I'm a guy!)  :-[

Anyways, I hate Miley Cyrus and The Jonah's Brothers as artists, blech! Make "real" music come back!  >:(
Ah, they are teen-pop idols of Generation Z and every generation has its teen-pop idols. Jonas and Miley Cyrus are nowhere the popularity that Britney Spears or the Backstreet Boys had in the latter part of the 90's anyways.

Written By: tv on 11/13/08 at 7:05 am

There's plenty of AC/soft rock if you want it. Matt Nathanson, OAR, Ingrid Michaleson, Justin Nozuka, Jason Mraz, Gavin DeGraw, Joshua Radin. Then you have artists like Natasha Bedingfield, Leona Lewis, Taylor Swift, Coldplay and others that crossover into market.
Oh yeah I forgot Leona Lewis, Coldplay, OAR, Ingrid Michaelson, Taylor Swift, and Natasha Bedingfield.

Written By: tv on 11/13/08 at 7:09 am

The biggest problem is that "Top 40" has largely become crap.

The same music nowadays is what becomes Pop.  It seems to me that you either end up listening to angry white-boy Rock, or angry black-boy Rap (with the occasional angry girls thrown into the mix).

Looking back to the 1980's (or even 70's and 60's), music in the last 15 years or so has really stagnated.  There is very little "new", just the same angry hard noise comming out over and over again.

In fact, it brings to mind an old Stan Freberg bit from a great many years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOY6-fttd3Y
To me music wasn't stagnant in the 90's either or maybe in the first half the 00's. I mean there was different stuff in the 90's and of course the teen-pop of the late 90's was a movement than came raps music dominance for a few years there and now rap has just stagnated to me.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/13/08 at 7:16 am

To me music wasn't stagnant in the 90's either or maybe in the first half the 00's. I mean there was different stuff in the 90's and of course the teen-pop of the late 90's was a movement than came raps music dominance for a few years there and now rap has just stagnated to me.

Well, for the most part it has stagnated.  Every time you get what seems to be a "fresh" style, it is quickly crushed under the "same old style".  In fact, to my ear the last really fresh music was comming around in 1999.

We had a huge inrush of new stuff, Lou Bega, Sugar Ray, Smashmouth, Hootie, etc.  Then within a year and a half, it is all gone and we are stuck with "angry music" all over again.

I often wish we could turn the clock back 25 years when it comes to music.  When you had Rap and R&B.  To me one of the biggest problems is that Rap has besically become R&B in the minds of a lot of people.  And that is a real shame.

Written By: tv on 11/13/08 at 7:30 am

Well, for the most part it has stagnated.  Every time you get what seems to be a "fresh" style, it is quickly crushed under the "same old style".  In fact, to my ear the last really fresh music was comming around in 1999.

We had a huge inrush of new stuff, Lou Bega, Sugar Ray, Smashmouth, Hootie, etc.  Then within a year and a half, it is all gone and we are stuck with "angry music" all over again.

I often wish we could turn the clock back 25 years when it comes to music.  When you had Rap and R&B.  To me one of the biggest problems is that Rap has besically become R&B in the minds of a lot of people.  And that is a real shame.
Yeah rap has become watered down but its been that way for the past 9-11 years either 1997 or 1999 rap becane more mainstream or more Top 40 radio hit oriented. Blame Puff Daddy for that.

Um Hootie And The Blowfish debut in the US in 1994 not 1999. Sugar Ray had their first hit in the US in 1997 but they were big in the early part of 1999 in the US.

What do you mean angry music? Rap has been hardly angry ever since 2Pac died. Rock music hasn't been angry since Korn and Limp Bizkit were big.

Written By: Elin on 11/13/08 at 1:40 pm

I am 20 years old and I hope that the 2010s will be all about disco, rockabilly, classic rock music and teen pop. I miss 1990s music.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/13/08 at 6:45 pm

I've thought about the same thing myself, true AC seemed to die after about 2002. Something like "Hero" by Enrique Iglacious was probably the last one I remember like that.

There's not really many mushy adult contemporary songs, or power ballads. If they're slow songs, they're just really slow and plodding (like "Chasing Cars") almost like the way post-grunge bands like Nickelback are, whre it sounds the same all the way through.

Lots of '80s ballads were poppy or like halfway upbeat to where it still made you feel good. Like "Sara" by Starship, or for the '90s stuff like "I Swear" - songs like that you have to admit don't really exist anymore. I always liked stuff like that.

Written By: tv on 11/13/08 at 6:54 pm

I've thought about the same thing myself, true AC seemed to die after about 2002. Something like "Hero" by Enrique Iglacious was probably the last one I remember like that

There's not really many mushy adult contemporary songs, or power ballads. If they're slow songs, they're just really slow and plodding (like "Chasing Cars") almost like the way post-grunge bands like Nickelback are, whre it sounds the same all the way through.

Lots of '80s ballads were poppy or like halfway upbeat to where it still made you feel good. Like "Sara" by Starship, or for the '90s stuff like "I Swear" - songs like that you have to admit don't really exist anymore. I always liked stuff like that.
I know this may sound corny but I did dig Nick Lachey's 2006 hit "Whats Of Left Of Me" and that was a pretty good A/C song.

Yeah "Chasing Cars" was too slow sounding too me too for me to get into the song itself.

Another A/C song I liked was Better Days by The Goo Goo Dolls from 2006 as well. How To Save A Life by The Fray was pretty good too back in 2006 even though it was overplayed on the radio back then.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/13/08 at 7:02 pm

^ Oh yeah, I actually like "Over My Head" by the Fray more (that's like midtempo). How to Save a Life was good, but overplayed like you said.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/13/08 at 10:02 pm

What they've been calling R&B for the past 15 years has neither rhytm nor blues!
::)

Written By: Midas on 11/14/08 at 10:24 am

What they've been calling R&B for the past 15 years has neither rhytm nor blues!

Amen!

Some of the artists previously mentioned (Natasha Bedingfield, Duffy, Jason Mraz, Colbie Callait, Sara Bareilles) I'd consider current AC as I hear them on what's considered the AC stations here.

Written By: midnite on 11/17/08 at 5:16 pm

So true.

Check for new replies or respond here...