inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Biggest Selling Singles In The United States

Written By: DoRitos on 11/15/08 at 7:43 am

Which singles sold the most copies?  View the link below for more information on what music people spent the most money on.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/yradish/29728/biggest-selling-singles-in-the-united-states

Biggest Selling Singles In The United States

1. A Little Less Conversation - Elvis Presley   

2. Here Without You - 3 Doors Down   

3. Another One Bites The Dust - Queen   

4. Apologize - Timbaland   

5. (Everything I Do) I Do It For You - Bryan Adams   

6. Hey Jude - The Beatles*   

7. Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel - Elvis Presley   

8. I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston   

9. Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye   

10. Low - Flo Rida   

11. Macarena - Los del Rio   

12. Ridin' -  Chamillionaire   

13. We Are The World - USA For Africa**   

14. Whoomp There It Is - Tag Team 

Subject: Re: Biggest Selling Singles In The United States

Written By: Paul on 11/17/08 at 4:26 pm

Rather inconclusive list...seems that it's compiled only by what's available on Rhapsody!

In a lot of cases (especially pre-1970), it'll never be known for sure how many units a single shifted...some record companies never had the inclination to keep tally of even the hugest of successes...

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/08 at 4:29 pm

Candle in the Wind 1997/Something About the Way You Look Tonight" by Elton John sold over 11 million and that does not feature on the list.

Written By: Paul on 11/17/08 at 4:35 pm

Candle in the Wind 1997/Something About the Way You Look Tonight" by Elton John sold over 11 million and that does not feature on the list.

Nor does Bing's 'White Christmas' which sold shedloads...

Seems like this Rhapsody outfit need to buy some singles themselves!  ;)

Written By: DoRitos on 11/17/08 at 7:23 pm

Not sure why the list reads as it does.  If you clicked the link in the original post you would see the following which is part of the written article::

"The biggest selling single of all time in the United States has sold almost twice as many as its closest competition. In 1997, Elton John released a remake of his classic 1973 song "Candle In The Wind" with new lyrics that paid homage to Diana, Princess of Wales after her untimely death. This single sold over 11 million copies in the United States. An incredible figure. Unfortunately, "Candle In The Wind" is not available for streaming via Rhapsody at this time, so it is not included in the final playlist here".

It's like, just because it's on the internet does not make it so.  I was simply reposting something I'd read.  There are over 2235 cmments on this article.  I'm sure they will make some very interesting reading - yeah, right.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/18/08 at 4:44 am

Not sure why the list reads as it does.  If you clicked the link in the original post you would see the following which is part of the written article::

"The biggest selling single of all time in the United States has sold almost twice as many as its closest competition. In 1997, Elton John released a remake of his classic 1973 song "Candle In The Wind" with new lyrics that paid homage to Diana, Princess of Wales after her untimely death. This single sold over 11 million copies in the United States. An incredible figure. Unfortunately, "Candle In The Wind" is not available for streaming via Rhapsody at this time, so it is not included in the final playlist here".

It's like, just because it's on the internet does not make it so.  I was simply reposting something I'd read.  There are over 2235 cmments on this article.  I'm sure they will make some very interesting reading - yeah, right.
The list is strange as you say, number one should read Elton John's Candle in the Wind 1997/Something About the Way You Look Tonight, but lists Elvis as number one ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/18/08 at 4:45 am

btw, at #4. Apologize - Timbaland when was that released?

Written By: midnite on 11/19/08 at 9:16 pm

Now that is scary!  FloRida and Charmilionaire sitting pretty next to Elvis, The Beatles, and Elton John.

Check for new replies or respond here...