inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A Challenge for 00s Rap/Hip Hop Fans

Written By: midnite on 11/17/08 at 4:59 pm

I love hip hop music from the early 80s through 1997-98 which is when Puff Daddy single-handedly drove the industry into the ground.   Since that time, I can't stand many Hip Hop songs.  But I must be in the minority since hip hop is more popular than it has ever been.  Hip hop music has been extremely successful over the past 5 years and has dominated mainstream music.

I believe that ALL of the major TOP 40 Hip Hop hits of the past 5 or 6 years are shallow and weak songs.

My challenge is for Hip Hop fans to post any TOP 40 Hip Hop songs of the past 5 or 6 years that have INSIGHTFUL and MEANINGFUL lyrics.

Please prove me wrong in my assumption that the mainstream music buying public is filled with mindless morons.  Thanks!

Subject: Re: A Challenge for 00s Rap/Hip Hop Fans

Written By: tv on 11/17/08 at 6:17 pm

I love hip hop music from the early 80s through 1997-98 which is when Puff Daddy single-handedly drove the industry into the ground.   Since that time, I can't stand many Hip Hop songs.  But I must be in the minority since hip hop is more popular than it has ever been.  Hip hop music has been extremely successful over the past 5 years and has dominated mainstream music.

I believe that ALL of the major TOP 40 Hip Hop hits of the past 5 or 6 years are shallow and weak songs.

My challenge is for Hip Hop fans to post any TOP 40 Hip Hop songs of the past 5 or 6 years that have INSIGHTFUL and MEANINGFUL lyrics.

Please prove me wrong in my assumption that the mainstream music buying public is filled with mindless morons.  Thanks!
Good hip-hop songs that have a meaning to them over the the last 5 years:

Jesus Walks-Kanye West
Hip Hop Is Dead-Nas
Why?-Jadakiss featuring Anthony Hamilton
The People-Common
Dreams-The Game

Written By: midnite on 11/17/08 at 6:46 pm

Good hip-hop songs that have a meaning to them over the the last 5 years:

Jesus Walks-Kanye West
Hip Hop Is Dead-Nas
Why?-Jadakiss featuring Anthony Hamilton
The People-Common
Dreams-The Game

Jesus Walks - Kanye West.  Good work, I will give you this one.
Hip Hop is Dead - Nas.  NOT a TOP 40 hit, but the lyrics are decent and Nas used to be VERY GOOD.
Why - Jadakiss.  Good, strong lyrics, and a TOP 10 hit.
The People - Common.  NOT a TOP 40 hit, but the lyrics are strong by this LYRICAL GENIUS.
Dreams - The Game.  NOT a TOP 40 hit. Lyrics seem okay and yet another song with a sampled 60s singer (in the vein of 90s JayZ style)

tv, a decent selection of songs.  However, only two were TOP 40 hits actually bought by mainstream America.

Any others?

Written By: tv on 11/17/08 at 6:52 pm

Jesus Walks - Kanye West.   Good work, I will give you this one.
Hip Hop is Dead - Nas.  NOT a TOP 40 hit, but the lyrics are decent and Nas used to be VERY GOOD.
Why - Jadakiss.   Good, strong lyrics, and a TOP 10 hit.
The People - Common.  NOT a TOP 40 hit, but the lyrics are strong by this LYRICAL GENIUS.
Dreams - The Game.  NOT a TOP 40 hit. Lyrics seem okay and yet another song with a sampled 60s singer (in the vein of 90s JayZ style)

tv, a decent selection of songs.  However, only two were TOP 40 hits actually bought by mainstream America.

Any others?

Um, actually I think "Dreams" by "The Game" made it up too #32 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Written By: EthanM on 11/17/08 at 7:12 pm

Runaway love - Ludacris
Where'd You go - Fort Minor
Live Your Life - T.I. (Seriously. Not the Rihanna part, but T.Is part is very insightful)
Like toy Soldiers - Eminem
Handlebars - Flobots (I think it squeaked top 40)

Written By: whistledog on 11/17/08 at 7:34 pm

'Sunday Morning' by K-os
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=602F1Db-uLY

A Top 20 hit in Canada back in 2006.  I'm not a major fan of the genre, but this was truly the first awesome hip-hop/urban song I heard since Stick to Your Vision by Maestro Fresh-Wes in 1998

Written By: limblifter on 11/17/08 at 7:58 pm

I Can ~ NAS

Written By: midnite on 11/18/08 at 8:34 pm

Runaway love - Ludacris
Where'd You go - Fort Minor
Live Your Life - T.I. (Seriously. Not the Rihanna part, but T.Is part is very insightful)
Like toy Soldiers - Eminem
Handlebars - Flobots (I think it squeaked top 40)

Ludacris - Runway Love.    It makes me laugh to hear Ludacris doing a SERIOUS song.  The lyrics are positive.  Not sure if TOP 40.
Fort Minor - Where'd You Go.    Nice lyrics /TOP 40 hit.  Don't white guys (other than Eminem) get the double standard and not called "Rap music."
T.I. - Live Your Life.  "Heys" and "Ho's" are wack according to this old school rap fan.  I actually like the Rihanna vocoder yodelling though.
Eminem - Like Toy Soldiers.  Good lyrics and most likely a TOP 40 song.
Flobots - Handlebars.  I like this song, but I don't think it can fall into the rap genre per the "white-boy double standard."

Good post, EthanM.  Thanks!

Written By: midnite on 11/18/08 at 8:35 pm

'Sunday Morning' by K-os
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=602F1Db-uLY

A Top 20 hit in Canada back in 2006.  I'm not a major fan of the genre, but this was truly the first awesome hip-hop/urban song I heard since Stick to Your Vision by Maestro Fresh-Wes in 1998

Canada representing hip hop dominance.  Good stuff.

Written By: midnite on 11/18/08 at 8:37 pm

I Can ~ NAS

I tip my hat to you, limblifter.   Very good, positive song by a great rapper and lyrical assassin.

Anyone else have some positive, lyrically strong hip hop TOP 40 hits of the past few years.  I don't think there are many of those songs. LOL. Please prove me wrong.  Where are the Southern Crunksters?

Written By: Davester on 11/19/08 at 1:09 am

I think your challenge has been met, friend... ;)

Written By: EthanM on 11/19/08 at 10:15 am

Runaway Love hit #2 on the Hot 100 chart in 2007, which I'm pretty sure qualifies as top 40
Handlebars is definitely rap and although it tends to be classified as modern rock it never would have existed without hip-hop
Wikipedia classifies "where'd you go as alternative hip-hop, and handlebars as alternative rap
Like toy soldiers peaked at #34, handlebars at #37

Written By: thereshegoes on 11/19/08 at 3:19 pm

I guess it's a matter of taste but shallow doesn't always mean weak imo.

Take one of my favorite hip hop artists Pharrel,he can talk about "http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/censored.gif" all the time but his beats are of the hook good.
Frontin' - can anyone listen to it and not move, c'mon it is great music 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIBTrN5Odbg

You can take him and The Neptunes or N.E.R.D,Lupe Fiasco,Kanye,Jay Z,Nas,Kelis,Miss Dynamite or the awesome Missy Elliot and you will listen to good innovative 00's hip hop.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/20/08 at 2:59 am

I guess it's a matter of taste but shallow doesn't always mean weak imo.

Take one of my favorite hip hop artists Pharrel,he can talk about "http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/censored.gif" all the time but his beats are of the hook good.
Frontin' - can anyone listen to it and not move, c'mon it is great music 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIBTrN5Odbg

You can take him and The Neptunes or N.E.R.D,Lupe Fiasco,Kanye,Jay Z,Nas,Kelis,Miss Dynamite or the awesome Missy Elliot and you will listen to good innovative 00's hip hop.

That's a good one I remember that!

Written By: Brian06 on 11/20/08 at 3:48 am

Songs don't have to be so "insightful" to be good, some songs are just enjoyable to people and really it's a matter of taste. Some people like deep music, some people don't care about that aspect and just want to be entertained. I think the entertainment value is the key, but I like more meaningful stuff as well sometimes. Ludacris is a good example, not the most insightful artist most of the time but he's entertaining and has a good flow. As for some of the better big '00s rap/hip-hop songs imo well here's some songs that have not been mentioned.

Lose Yourself - Eminem
Work It - Missy Elliott
Into You - Fabolous feat. Tamia
Dirt Off Your Shoulder - Jay-Z
Slow Jamz - Kanye West
Overnight Celebrity - Twista
All Falls Down - Kanye West
The Way You Move - Outkast
My Life - The Game
Superstar - Lupe Fiasco
Ridin - Chamillionaire

These songs are more on the stupid side but I like them too (when I'm in the mood):
Yeah! - Usher
Hot In Herre - Nelly
Goodies - Ciara
Always On Time - Ja Rule/ Ashanti
My Band - D12
Temperature - Sean Paul
What Them Girls Like - Ludacris
Whatever You Like - T.I.
Mrs. Officer - Lil Wayne

Written By: EthanM on 11/20/08 at 8:49 am

And White & Nrdy was a top ten hit providing insight into the lives of those that are extremely nerdy and usually white

Check for new replies or respond here...