inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Poll: Holiday Shopping This Year

Written By: midnite on 11/17/08 at 5:14 pm

The economy of most nations in the world are affected by the economic downturn.  Houses are sitting unsold and many people are losing jobs.  My company just announced layoffs today just like many other companies.  Many companies are cutting back on their holiday parties as well.

This polll is to guage if the economic downturn is affecting everyone.  Hopefully it is not but we will see.

I am pessimistic on the econmony so I will probably cut back my holiday spending by 50%.  Please vote and provide any information that you feel comfortable providing.  Thanks!

Subject: Re: Poll: Holiday Shopping This Year

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/17/08 at 5:18 pm

I would like o think I will spend even less, but as we booked a Disney World trip 6 months ago, I am sure Christmas money will be up even though the actual gifts will be down????  Does this make sense

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/17/08 at 5:27 pm

I'm buying only the necessary gifts.  Also thought about doing the homemade gift thing this year.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/17/08 at 5:59 pm

About 20% less.  I don't spend alot anyway so it won't be a big cut.

Written By: Jessica on 11/17/08 at 6:17 pm

Jason's grandparents and the money from his catalog photo shoot are paying for this Christmas.  The only thing I bought him was an R/C car and I'll get some stocking stuffers for him and the dog.

Yes, the dog has a stocking. :D

Written By: La Roche on 11/17/08 at 6:51 pm

Yes, the dog has a stocking. :D

Same here.

I don't really do Christmas per se, so I dare say I'll spend the same as normal.

Maybe it's just where I live in the country, maybe it's just that I've lucked out but I'm not really noticing anything changing. I got a raise just a couple months ago and I've always lived well within my means anyway. Maybe this will be a sign to those who extended themselves too far?

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/17/08 at 9:49 pm

I have, in the past, shopped for 19 children and I'm only related to 4 of them.  This year, as my husband is out of work, I'm only shopping for the relatives!  The adults have also decided not to even bother exchanging the same amount of money in gift certificates to eachother; it's pointless.  I will still give my daughter the big Christmas though (and we can't forget those Hannukah presents, either).

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/18/08 at 7:42 pm

I'll try to buy only necessary gifts this year. Then again I say this year after year yet go overboard anyway.  :-[  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/18/08 at 8:09 pm

I'm predicting retailers will see red on Black Friday!

Written By: midnite on 11/18/08 at 8:17 pm

Thanks for the replies so far.  The sample size is small, but most people are cutting back quite a bit on their purchases.  This is really affecting everyone.  Lets cross our fingers and hope Barack Hussein Osama can get us out of this (AKA get houses to sell again).

Lets get ready to say bye bye to Saks Fifth Avenue.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/18/08 at 9:29 pm

Thanks for the replies so far.  The sample size is small, but most people are cutting back quite a bit on their purchases.   This is really affecting everyone.  Lets cross our fingers and hope Barack Hussein Osama can get us out of this (AKA get houses to sell again).

Lets get ready to say bye bye to Saks Fifth Avenue.

Saks will be fine as long as there are rich people, Wal-Mart will be fine so long as there are people too poor to go anywhere else; it's the semi-posh shops that stand to lose the most.

Written By: Midas on 11/20/08 at 2:21 pm

I plan to spend more this year than last year as I'm in a better position than I was a year ago.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/20/08 at 2:33 pm

How about other: Bah Humbug.

We don't usually buy gifts. If we give something, it is usually in the form of paper-except for the grandkids. Then we will buy-and we try to buy Vermont made products as opposed to something made in China.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...