inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Life On Mars (US version)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/19/08 at 8:57 pm

I've been keeping up with this show and I really like it. It's based on a BBC show from a few years back about a police detective who, after getting hit by a car and knocked unconscious in 2008, awakens to find himself with the same job in the same precinct but in the year 1973.

I haven't seen the original UK version but the ABC remake seems pretty good so far. The new version takes place in New York, and it has two of my favorite actors, Harvey Keitel and Michael Imperioli in supporting roles. The lead character, Sam Tyler (played by Jason O'Meara, who I hadn't previously heard of), is a lot more, shall we say, "enlightened" and PC than his 1973 colleagues, and this becomes the source of a lot of conflicts. Tyler comes off as being a little too goody-goody (to the point of douchiness) at times, and they make the 1973 cops seem a little more doltish than necessary, but overall I enjoy this show.

Anyone watching the new version, or are there any fans of the original with any thoughts on this?

Subject: Re: Life On Mars (US version)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/19/08 at 9:24 pm

I like this show, alot.

Written By: karen on 11/19/08 at 10:24 pm

I watched the BBC original.  And I've watched a couple of episodes of the ABC version.  I'd like to watch more but it's on one of the channels that only comes through well occasionally and it'  a  t of a p n wa chin a chan    at goes like this  ll the  ime!

I don't think Harvey Kietel is quite the right actor for that part.  He needed to be a bit younger and more of a 'ladies man' to match the BBC character.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/19/08 at 11:37 pm

I still prefer the David Bowie version!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/ptitmartien.gif

Written By: La Roche on 11/19/08 at 11:45 pm

I've been keeping up with this show and I really like it. It's based on a BBC show from a few years back about a police detective who, after getting hit by a car and knocked unconscious in 2008, awakens to find himself with the same job in the same precinct but in the year 1973.

I haven't seen the original UK version but the ABC remake seems pretty good so far. The new version takes place in New York, and it has two of my favorite actors, Harvey Keitel and Michael Imperioli in supporting roles. The lead character, Sam Tyler (played by Jason O'Meara, who I hadn't previously heard of), is a lot more, shall we say, "enlightened" and PC than his 1973 colleagues, and this becomes the source of a lot of conflicts. Tyler comes off as being a little too goody-goody (to the point of douchiness) at times, and they make the 1973 cops seem a little more doltish than necessary, but overall I enjoy this show.

Anyone watching the new version, or are there any fans of the original with any thoughts on this?

I expected it to be an awful rip-off but have been pleasantly surprised. I'm actually enjoying it.

Written By: snozberries on 11/20/08 at 1:50 am

I watched the BBC original.  And I've watched a couple of episodes of the ABC version.  I'd like to watch more but it's on one of the channels that only comes through well occasionally and it'  a   t of a p n wa chin a chan     at goes like this  ll the  ime!

I don't think Harvey Kietel is quite the right actor for that part.  He needed to be a bit younger and more of a 'ladies man' to match the BBC character.

dang I wouldn't watch either... I could barely read that  ;D 

the eps are avail for viewing at abc.com tho.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/20/08 at 11:15 pm

So tonight's episode (an excellent one, the show keeps getting better and better) had this dramatic, cliffhanger ending, and as soon as it was over an announcer's voice came on saying, "Stay tuned for new episodes of Life On Mars, beginning January 28th."

JANUARY 28th?!?

Bastards.  >:( >:( >:(

ABC sucks! ABC sucks!  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: karen on 11/20/08 at 11:16 pm

So tonight's episode (an excellent one, the show keeps getting better and better) had this dramatic, cliffhanger ending, and as soon as it was over an announcer's voice came on saying, "Stay tuned for new episodes of Life On Mars, beginning January 28th."

JANUARY 28th ?!?!?!?!?

That's not that long.  In the Uk we had to wait a year for the next series to start

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/20/08 at 11:20 pm

That's not that long.  In the Uk we had to wait a year for the next series to start

But there's only been 5 or 6 episodes so far, hardly what I would call a series. Of course, I'm just griping.  :P

Written By: Gis on 11/21/08 at 4:38 am

I LOVED the U.K. version. I have so far only seen the 1st episode of the U.S version and i agree with karen, Harvey Kietel is all wrong for Gene Hunt.

Written By: snozberries on 11/30/08 at 2:22 pm

JANUARY 28th?!?

ABC sucks! ABC sucks!  ;D ;D ;D

so I haven't watched it yet should I wait until January 28th and watch it then or watch it now and hope I remember the ending?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/08 at 10:45 pm

I can't wait until then, for my next Gene Hunt fix.

Check for new replies or respond here...