inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Overproduced Singers

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/22/08 at 8:36 am

What is the deal these days (maybe it has always been going on) with fairly decent singers doing grossly-overproduced recordings?

Christina Aguilera has a great voice but her latest tune has her voice all washed out in the production.

Britney's "womanizer" is similarly overproduced and monotonous.

Robyn Fenty (aka Rihanna) also seems to be waaaaaaay overproduced, but I think maybe that's because her voice sounds like she's singing out of her nose.  "Disturbia" sounded god the first 2 times I heard it, but now I tune to a different station.  But she does have a SMOKIN' bod, thus all the male singers who want to collaborate with recordings.

I fear Rihanna is going to become a flash-in-pan because she has way too many, too overproduced, "trendy" recordings coming out.

I'd like to see more recordings that feature the singer's voice, like we usually see with Colby Calliat.

Subject: Re: Overproduced Singers

Written By: 80sfan on 11/22/08 at 8:46 am

Welcome to the computer age my friends!  :)

I bet electronica is the next big thing after rap. The 2010's will be dominated by it. Don't forget, it's the 21st Century and people want to use any technology they can. The producers like to experiment with many things.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/22/08 at 8:49 am

I admit I like a lot of this kind of stuff, but I like more stripped down music as well depends on what kind of mood I'm in.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/22/08 at 10:05 am

The Pussycat Dolls  ::)

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/22/08 at 7:06 pm

Nelly Furtado!!  Have you guys listened to the entire Whoa Nelly album?  I don't dislike it, but damn...

Written By: woops on 11/22/08 at 7:21 pm

Anybody from the mouse network  8-P  ::)

Written By: tv on 11/22/08 at 7:30 pm

What is the deal these days (maybe it has always been going on) with fairly decent singers doing grossly-overproduced recordings?

Christina Aguilera has a great voice but her latest tune has her voice all washed out in the production.

Britney's "womanizer" is similarly overproduced and monotonous.

Robyn Fenty (aka Rihanna) also seems to be waaaaaaay overproduced, but I think maybe that's because her voice sounds like she's singing out of her nose.  "Disturbia" sounded god the first 2 times I heard it, but now I tune to a different station.  But she does have a SMOKIN' bod, thus all the male singers who want to collaborate with recordings
I fear Rihanna is going to become a flash-in-pan because she has way too many, too overproduced, "trendy" recordings coming out.

I'd like to see more recordings that feature the singer's voice, like we usually see with Colby Calliat.
Ah, Britneys stuff is almost always overproduced to hide her singing voice.

Rihanna is gonna suffer from overexposure pretty soon if she keeps on putting albums as rampantly as she does.

Written By: midnite on 11/24/08 at 8:54 pm

Rihanna is gonna suffer from overexposure pretty soon if she keeps on putting albums as rampantly as she does.

Good point, but I think she is the closest that the 00's has to someone with staying power.  I am not saying this because I am a fan (which I am not) but because I have VERY LITTLE confidence in 00s artists.  Have a nice day!

Written By: whistledog on 11/24/08 at 11:22 pm

I've said this before and it's worth repeating:  "If Pee-Wee Herman can have a hit single, than anyone can" ;D

With most singers these days, the vocals are way overproduced.  I think Mariah Carey and Celine Dion are some of the last of the few.  They have vocals so powerful, they sometimes drown out the music

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/25/08 at 8:03 am

I've said this before and it's worth repeating:  "If Pee-Wee Herman can have a hit single, than anyone can" ;D

With most singers these days, the vocals are way overproduced.  I think Mariah Carey and Celine Dion are some of the last of the few.  They have vocals so powerful, they sometimes drown out the music

^ True, but I don't want to hear either of those ladies sing  8-P.  As for the Pee-Wee Herman song, I had no idea... :-\\

Written By: tv on 11/25/08 at 12:33 pm

Good point, but I think she is the closest that the 00's has to someone with staying power.  I am not saying this because I am a fan (which I am not) but because I have VERY LITTLE confidence in 00s artists.  Have a nice day!
Thats not true Kanye West and Alicia Keys have had a good run in the 2000's. 50 Cent had a pretty good run in 2003 and early to mid 2005 too. I agree with the expection with the expection of those 4 artists though nobody has really a good run in the 2000's. Ne-Yo has also had a decent run too.

Written By: tre on 11/26/08 at 9:43 pm

If overproduced means the instrumental is getting as much attention as the vocals then I don't see how that's a bad thing. I'm tired of all these "divas" who has the be the only one in the spotlight and only her voice gets all the attention while ignoring all the other people who helped make the song. Why can't people make songs where the audience can enjoy every aspect of it besides just the vocals?

Written By: Brian06 on 11/27/08 at 2:18 am

It's only "overproduced" to people that don't like that particular type of music, of course I mean if you only like say acoustic music then obviously Britney Spears and Rihanna are going to be "overproduced" to you. Now I know all to well that this type music isn't really art at all, but I think it's just feel good entertainment fluff and I really like that. It's for the types like myself that don't really look for anything deep in music just something that catches their ear and maybe makes them wanna jump around and forget about the complicated world for a second. Now I ain't gonna try and fool myself and say Katy Perry lmao is up there with the "great musicians of all time" because I wouldn't say that, indeed all I aim to do is explain why some people this type of music.

Check for new replies or respond here...