inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: John Lennon absolved by Vatican over "Bigger Than Jesus" comment

Written By: Doc Brown on 11/23/08 at 5:33 pm

Well, isn't that nice? The man's only been dead for nearly 30 years! And the official statement read that he was a young man flushed with success, boasting. Anyone who heard the comment in context knows that that's rubbish!

100 years before the Beatles, President Lincoln observed that "Man has forgotten God", possibly a condemnation of slavery, and no one raised an uproar, but in the 1960's, a rock star observes that his band is "more popular than Jesus", probably a warning against people turning away from religion in general, and it's time for the haters of pop music to get out the brimstone and start burning albums!

Sometimes I find it amazing that the human race survived the 60's, can anyone point to someone at that time who wasn't a hypocrite? I think the only ones that weren't were all cut down by assassin's bullets!

Your Pal,
Doc

>:(

Subject: Re: John Lennon absolved by Vatican over "Bigger Than Jesus" comment

Written By: Jessica on 11/23/08 at 6:00 pm

There is like eleventy million other more important things going on in the world, and the Vatican is pardoning someone for a remark made forty years ago?  Good job, Emperor Palpatine, Pope Benedict. ::)

Written By: Brian06 on 11/23/08 at 6:11 pm

I gave up on the Catholic Church after the Terri Schiavo debacle, and because their stance on stem cell research, contraception, etc. It's a complete joke imo. The whole hierarchy is out of touch and until they modernize their positions I don't want anything to do with them.  ::)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/23/08 at 7:18 pm

Lennon wasn't even Catholic, he was a Secular Humanist.    Even if he was alive the absolution wouldn't mean crap to him.  Pope Benedict is trying to assert that he is culturally aware.  Which obviously . . . he's not.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/23/08 at 9:33 pm

He's three decades late.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/24/08 at 1:04 am

If the pope really wanted to be a hep cat, he'd canonize Lennon Saint John of the Walrus!
8)

Anyway, the establishment didn't REALLY hate Lennon for saying the Beatles were popular than Jesus; they hated him because he was a big-bearded hippie with lots of money, lots of women, and lots of dope!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/jinnwink.gif

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/24/08 at 9:04 am

I can finally sleep at night!

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/24/08 at 2:55 pm

If the pope really wanted to be a hep cat, he'd canonize Lennon Saint John of the Walrus!
8)

Anyway, the establishment didn't REALLY hate Lennon for saying the Beatles were popular than Jesus; they hated him because he was a big-bearded hippie with lots of money, lots of women, and lots of dope!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/jinnwink.gif

This was prior to his Hippie years, Max.

Sorry 'bout that.

Written By: Haman on 11/24/08 at 4:57 pm

Well, isn't that nice? The man's only been dead for nearly 30 years! And the official statement read that he was a young man flushed with success, boasting. Anyone who heard the comment in context knows that that's rubbish!

100 years before the Beatles, President Lincoln observed that "Man has forgotten God", possibly a condemnation of slavery, and no one raised an uproar, but in the 1960's, a rock star observes that his band is "more popular than Jesus", probably a warning against people turning away from religion in general, and it's time for the haters of pop music to get out the brimstone and start burning albums!

Sometimes I find it amazing that the human race survived the 60's, can anyone point to someone at that time who wasn't a hypocrite? I think the only ones that weren't were all cut down by assassin's bullets!

Your Pal,
Doc

I love The Beatles as a band, their music and all, but the Lennon/Yoko hippie era -I find it hilarious at best and repulsive at worse.

On the other hand, I wouldn't give a damn about the Vatican "forgiving" me for something I said. I just couldn't care less and of course Lennon couldn't care less either since the worms have been eating his skull for a long, long time by now.

"Give peace a chance"... Would you mind if I throw up?

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/24/08 at 7:00 pm

"Give peace a chance"... Would you mind if I throw up?

I believe John Lennon was very sincere about his message of peace, and as someone else wonderful has sung:

"What's so funny 'bout, peace, love and understanding?" :-\\

Written By: midnite on 11/24/08 at 8:44 pm

The timing is great.  It took the new pope to do it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/25/08 at 3:02 pm

I believe John Lennon was very sincere about his message of peace, and as someone else wonderful has sung:

"What's so funny 'bout, peace, love and understanding?" :-\\

That same someone else also sang,
"Was it a millionaire who said 'Imagine no possessions'?"
("The Other Side of Summer")
:P

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/25/08 at 3:46 pm

That same someone else also sang,
"Was it a millionaire who said 'Imagine no possessions'?"
("The Other Side of Summer")
:P

Touche, although I'm still sticking with my original post.  I do believe Lennon was sincere in his mission for peace.

Written By: Paul on 11/25/08 at 4:05 pm

Oddly, when his comments were first published in Britain (London Evening Standard, I think), it didn't cause a ripple!

Written By: Doc Brown on 11/25/08 at 5:24 pm

Oddly, when his comments were first published in Britain (London Evening Standard, I think), it didn't cause a ripple!

That's because the slimy antiyouth politicians in America made sure that over here, it was published out of context!

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: danootaandme on 11/26/08 at 5:11 am

That's because the slimy antiyouth politicians in America made sure that over here, it was published out of context!

Your Pal,
Doc

Right, and misquoted him, too, same as on this thread.  He said they were "more popular than Jesus"  The best part was they would have rallys outside of Beatles concerts, and more people(by a huge margin) paid to see the Beatles than came for free to burn their Beatle Albums, thus proving his point.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/28/08 at 9:33 pm

This was prior to his Hippie years, Max.

Sorry 'bout that.

I'll clarify...

Lennon made the remark in the Beatlemania days, but it reverberated among the establishment as the counterculture grew more menacing in the late '60s and into the '70s. 

And amplify...

The mop-top style, the screaming teenage fans, and the "She loves you yeah, yeah, yeah..." rock & roll lyrics were terribly threatening to conservatives worldwide even as late as 1964.  It all seems hokey and cute to us today, but we can scarcely understand the demand for conformity and the sexual repression of post-war America in the 1950s.  Unless you're old enough to remember the '50s, I'm told, it is hard to dig what it was really like. 

Except for a few raging Pentecostals, nobody worshiped Christ like those teens worshipped John, Paul, George, and Ringo...and that alone was a threat to the established order of the universe as perceived by their elders!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/znaika.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/ylsuper.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 11/29/08 at 4:56 am

I'll clarify...

Lennon made the remark in the Beatlemania days, but it reverberated among the establishment as the counterculture grew more menacing in the late '60s and into the '70s. 

And amplify...

The mop-top style, the screaming teenage fans, and the "She loves you yeah, yeah, yeah..." rock & roll lyrics were terribly threatening to conservatives worldwide even as late as 1964.  It all seems hokey and cute to us today, but we can scarcely understand the demand for conformity and the sexual repression of post-war America in the 1950s.  Unless you're old enough to remember the '50s, I'm told, it is hard to dig what it was really like. 

Except for a few raging Pentecostals, nobody worshiped Christ like those teens worshipped John, Paul, George, and Ringo...and that alone was a threat to the established order of the universe as perceived by their elders!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/znaika.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/ylsuper.gif

Here I am, the dinosaur who remembers the '50s, they s*cked big time.  All that nostalgia for it is beyond idiocy.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/30/08 at 10:17 am

Here I am, the dinosaur who remembers the '50s, they s*cked big time.  All that nostalgia for it is beyond idiocy.

Those bobby sockers do seem a bit syrupy sweet and innocent.  The kids of that era became the hippies of the 60's.  Darn why do a feel a decology rant coming on. :-X

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/30/08 at 10:55 am

The post-war baby boom in conjunction with the post-war prosperity gave rise to a unique "youth culture" resulting in the "generation gap."  If the establishment wanted a more conservative next generation, it should have gone ahead and lost the war!

(There's a joke about this in "A Hard Day's Night," but I can't remember how it goes)

Check for new replies or respond here...