inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cliff and The Shadows to reunite

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/08 at 12:20 pm

Cliff and The Shadows to reunite

Cliff Richard and The Shadows are to reunite for an arena tour in 2009 to celebrate their 50th anniversary.

They dominated the charts in the late 1950s and 1960s and notched up 19 number one hits between them.

Their hits included Move It, Living Doll and Travellin' Light. It will be the first time they have performed in concert together for 20 years.

The group say it will be their final tour. Tickets for the 11 dates in autumn 2009 go on sale on Sunday.

Initially formed as a backing band for Sir Cliff Richard, The Shadows were originally called The Drifters until finding out there was already a US band with the same name.

The Shadows also appeared with him in films including The Young Ones and Summer Holiday.

The line-up split in 1968 to pursue individual careers. The Shadows toured throughout the 1970s and 1980s while Sir Cliff achieved huge success as a solo star.

Fans will be able to see Sir Cliff, Hank Marvin, Bruce Welch and Brian Bennett on the following dates:

September 2009

Fri 25 and Sat 26 - London O2 arena
Wed 30 - Nottingham Trent FM Arena

October 2009

Sat 03 and Sun 04 - Birmingham NIA
Tue 06 - Cardiff CIA
Wed 07 - Liverpool Echo Arena
Fri 09 - Glasgow SECC
Mon 12 - Newcastle Metro Radio Arena
Wed 14 - Sheffield Arena
Sat 17 - Manchester Evening News Arena

Subject: Re: Cliff and The Shadows to reunite

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/27/08 at 5:43 pm

That pension fund ... needs topping up ..... especially at THEIR age !

:D

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/08 at 8:15 pm

I saw a CD in stores today .. a new double disc set selebrating Cliff's 50 years in music.  The man is a legend, and a reunion with the Shadows would be great

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/27/08 at 8:18 pm

I saw a CD in stores today .. a new double disc set selebrating Cliff's 50 years in music.  The man is a legend, and a reunion with the Shadows would be great

He's certainly had umpteen pleasant songs. It's truly sad that the USA did not take to him ... the way we did to Elvis. His stature in Britain ... as second ONLY to 'the King' ... is testament to how good he IS.

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/08 at 8:24 pm

He's certainly had umpteen pleasant songs. It's truly sad that the USA did not take to him ... the way we did to Elvis. His stature in Britain ... as second ONLY to 'the King' ... is testament to how good he IS.

Those Americans missed out on some great songs.  In his heyday of the 50s and 60s, he only managed 2 Top 40s in the States :(

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/27/08 at 8:37 pm

Those Americans missed out on some great songs.  In his heyday of the 50s and 60s, he only managed 2 Top 40s in the States :(

I was quite impressed with his vocals on 'Some People'.

Some Cliff facts:

* 14 UK No.1 hits .

* ONLY artist to have a UK no. 1 in 5 different decades (time's running out for him to do it in THIS one ... though you WOULDN'T bet against him !)

* Named World No.1 artist by Billboard in 1963 (Elvis 2nd, Shadows, 3rd)

* Had more top ten albums in the 80's than any other artist (that would be Britain)

* Was on the FIRST top of the pops show ... and appeared on it more times ... than ANY other artist.

* He has been the youngest (in 1959) and the OLDEST British singer (1999) to top the singles chart.

* Has sold over 85 million records  worldwide.

Btw ... I believe I read somewhere ... that although born Harry Webb ... he actually changed his name at some point ... to his stage name .. by deed poll ?

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/08 at 9:18 pm

♦ In America, Cliff charted a total of 20 hits between 1959-1983.  9 of those made the Top 40

♦ In Canada, Cliff charted a total of 26 hits between 1959-1982.  22 of those ('Bachelor Boy' was released as an AA sidse with 'The Next Time') made the Top 40, and in 1999, he had a Top 40 hit in Canada on the singles sales charts with 'The Millenium Prayer' which counted as his 23nd hit

From a number of hits perspective, Cliff wasn't all that successful as he should have been in Canada, but of those 21 Top 40 hits, 16 of those were achieved from 1959-1968.  In the end, he did rival Elvis in the Canadian charts, but it was Elvis who championed. 

Cliff never had a #1 in America, but had 4 in Canada:  'Bachelor Boy', 'The Next Time', 'Summer Holiday' and 'It's All in the Game'

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/08 at 2:06 am

I was quite impressed with his vocals on 'Some People'.

Some Cliff facts:

* ONLY artist to have a UK no. 1 in 5 different decades (time's running out for him to do it in THIS one ... though you WOULDN'T bet against him !)

He still has a chance for 6 different decades had a record Thank You For A Lifetime released this year in October and it only reached the peak of #3.

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/28/08 at 2:19 am

He still has a chance for 6 different decades had a record Thank You For A Lifetime released this year in October and it only reached the peak of #3.

I'd be happy to  have just ONE single to reach ONLY # 3.   :-[    :(

Hang on ... I DO keep forgetting. Of course ... I hit No. 1 ... end of '85 .. in both the UK AND USA !   8)   

:P   ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...