inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Black Friday Idiocy Pt. II

Written By: loki 13 on 11/28/08 at 5:35 pm

The only thing I can say about the people who line up early in the morning or the
night before, buying into big business gimmicks, just to save a buck.

"You people are freaking idiots!"

I know most members on the boards aren't big fans of Wal-Mart but here is a guy just trying to earn
a buck, shows up for work to serve the lunatics and winds up trampled to death by an impatient hoard.

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/bbdp/wal-mart-worker-trampled-to-death/262342

When is this lunacy going to stop? I blame the businesses when things like this happen. There is no reason
to promote this Black Friday Scam. That's all it is, a scam, and every year more and more people get hurt
or killed. Businesses expect a throng of idiots who've been on line for hours to behave like respectful human
beings. what a crock, when you have a mob, mob mentality takes over but every business wants to out do
the other guy. Open up a little earlier, take off a higher percentage and totally disregard human safety. It's
time to.....

End It Now!

Subject: Re: Black Friday Idiocy Pt. II

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/28/08 at 5:57 pm

The only thing I can say about the people who line up early in the morning or the
night before, buying into big business gimmicks, just to save a buck.

"You people are freaking idiots!"

I know most members on the boards aren't big fans of Wal-Mart but here is a guy just trying to earn
a buck, shows up for work to serve the lunatics and winds up trampled to death by an impatient hoard.

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/bbdp/wal-mart-worker-trampled-to-death/262342

When is this lunacy going to stop? I blame the businesses when things like this happen. There is no reason
to promote this Black Friday Scam. That's all it is, a scam, and every year more and more people get hurt
or killed. Businesses expect a throng of idiots who've been on line for hours to behave like respectful human
beings. what a crock, when you have a mob, mob mentality takes over but every business wants to out do
the other guy. Open up a little earlier, take off a higher percentage and totally disregard human safety. It's
time to.....

End It Now!
I can understand trying to save a buck or 2, but I'm always baffled at this build up to the day after Thanksgiving frenzy to shop. sadly now the nickname Black Friday is even more appropriate.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/28/08 at 6:34 pm

I saw where the poor guy was trampled to death.  Then they got mad because investigators needed the store closed.  The nauseating thing is that over 100 people walked right over him.  This time of year brings out the best and worse in people.  Thank God for online shopping.

Karma for being as disgusted as I am Loki 13.

Written By: loki 13 on 11/28/08 at 7:46 pm

I saw where the poor guy was trampled to death.  Then they got mad because investigators needed the store closed.  The nauseating thing is that over 100 people walked right over him.  This time of year brings out the best and worse in people.  Thank God for online shopping.

Karma for being as disgusted as I am Loki 13.

I don't know who I am more disgusted with, the businesses for running this farce or the the people
who have so little regard for human life that they feel inconvenienced because the store needed to
close for a few hours. This guy's family will never see Thanksgiving the same way again and the idiots
are angry because they will miss their precious sales.

Wal-Mart is not coming out unscathed in my anger either, why did they feel it necessary to open the
store at all. The coworkers of the man trampled may have been traumatized yet the conglomerate
still makes sure they finish their shift so not to lose too much money.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/28/08 at 8:19 pm

One of the witnesses said that the shoppers "were acting like savages".

Approximately 2000 people were waiting for the store to open.  WTF?  2000 freaking people?  That must have been one kick-ass sale they were having. 

Whatever happened to people behaving in a civilized manner?  This is like the Cincinnati Who Concert disaster all over again.  >:(

Written By: Jessica on 11/28/08 at 8:22 pm

I have a tale of yet more people who were trampled.  There is a blog I read, and today's entry was about how her daughter and three of her friends decided to see what was up at a local mall (that was opening up at midnight today for shoppers ::)).  Not an hour and a half after this lady's daughter had gotten there, her daughter called her up crying hysterically because someone had shoved her into a table, bruising the better part of her hip, her friend had her shoulder dislocated, her other friend got trampled and had someone step on her ankle, tearing some ligaments in the process, and the last friend got shoved over on to someone else who was already laying on the floor with a busted leg.

The icing on the cake of all this story?  The lady called up the local news stations to ask why the hell weren't they reporting on these things happening.  They pretty much told her that the profits and losses of retail were more newsworthy than the barbarian acts of some of these idiotic and rude shoppers.

I'm not opposed to shopping today if that's what makes you feel good, but a little courtesy, respect, AND patience do frickin' help.  It's not like 1. you can take these material goods with you when you die and 2. they won't be forgotten about (especially if they're kids toys) within two months.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/28/08 at 8:28 pm

It's a sign of our economic direction; hysterical mobs trying to grab the cheapest sh*t the fastest!

It was Wal-Mart's responsibility to gauge the ferocity of the crowd and take crowd control steps.  Of course the Wallybangers will say they had no way of knowing their customers could be dangerous en masse, but everybody--from security firms to psychologists--has studied this phenomenon for decades.  The biggest company in the world has only itself to blame if they can't figure out the basics of crowd control.  If they invested what they spend on loss prevention in one hour, that guy would be alive and unscathed.  His family should sue!!!
>:(

Written By: Red Ant on 11/28/08 at 9:02 pm

I saw the news story this morning. Sad but not an isolated thing.  Same thing every year - didn't people get trampled to death when Cabbage Patch kids came out?

Black Friday is probably the crappiest day of the year. People act like it's the only day when you can legally buy gifts. The morons here camped out at freakin' OFFICE DEPOT overnight. The store opened at 6am, and by 6:05 am their laptop computers were sold out.. so the lady on the phone told me (I can't conceive how that was physically possible being that the Office Depot here is slower than DMV).

One place at the Prime Outlets encourage people to do this (camp out) by giving away free trinket crap to the first 50 customers who showed up - in their pajamas. At midnight.

"... they complained that they had been in line since Thursday morning."  8-P 8-P 8-P

I'm surprised Walrus Mart even bothered to close the store for x hours...

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/28/08 at 9:15 pm

I saw the news story this morning. Sad but not an isolated thing.  Same thing every year - didn't people get trampled to death when Cabbage Patch kids came out?

Black Friday is probably the crappiest day of the year. People act like it's the only day when you can legally buy gifts. The morons here camped out at freakin' OFFICE DEPOT overnight. The store opened at 6am, and by 6:05 am their laptop computers were sold out.. so the lady on the phone told me (I can't conceive how that was physically possible being that the Office Depot here is slower than DMV).

One place at the Prime Outlets encourage people to do this (camp out) by giving away free trinket crap to the first 50 customers who showed up - in their pajamas. At midnight.

"... they complained that they had been in line since Thursday morning."  8-P 8-P 8-P

I'm surprised Walrus Mart even bothered to close the store for x hours...

Ant

Cabbage Patch dolls, Tickle-Me Elmo, the...whatever those stupid little things people used to collect in the late '90s, and The Who in Cincinnati back in '79 are all examples of how crazy people can get when it's first-come first-serve coupled with extremely high demand. 

"I'd walk over you to see The Who" has a ring to it.  "I'd walk over you to get to the Wal-Mart home entertainment department before the rest of these azzwholes," ummmm, not so much!
:-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 11/28/08 at 9:32 pm

We aren't against people who work at wal-mart, we are against the actions of wal-mart.  What happened to this man should never have happened, and wouldn't have if wal-mart had the proper safeguards in place.  The shoppers are a disgrace and the company is a disgrace.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/28/08 at 9:46 pm

We aren't against people who work at wal-mart, we are against the actions of wal-mart.  What happened to this man should never have happened, and wouldn't have if wal-mart had the proper safeguards in place.  The shoppers are a disgrace and the company is a disgrace.

I dunno that I'd call the shoppers a disgrace for being part of a madding crowd.  Once the pushing and shoving starts, regardless of the instigators, every member of the crowd starts to react out of self-preservation...kill or be killed!  What would I do?  The point is moot.  I don't shop at Wal-Mart and the sonofabitch ain't been born who I'd show up at 5 a.m. for!
;)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/29/08 at 4:53 am

I dunno that I'd call the shoppers a disgrace for being part of a madding crowd.  Once the pushing and shoving starts, regardless of the instigators, every member of the crowd starts to react out of self-preservation...kill or be killed!  What would I do?  The point is moot.  I don't shop at Wal-Mart and the sonofabitch ain't been born who I'd show up at 5 a.m. for!
;)

Ditto that.....all of it.

Written By: statsqueen on 11/29/08 at 12:19 pm

I don't know who I am more disgusted with, the businesses for running this farce or the the people
who have so little regard for human life that they feel inconvenienced because the store needed to
close for a few hours. This guy's family will never see Thanksgiving the same way again and the idiots
are angry because they will miss their precious sales.

Wal-Mart is not coming out unscathed in my anger either, why did they feel it necessary to open the
store at all. The coworkers of the man trampled may have been traumatized yet the conglomerate
still makes sure they finish their shift so not to lose too much money.

Well said.  There is also the shooting at the Toys R Us.  Is it really worth it to save a couple bucks?

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/29/08 at 6:58 pm

All this Black Friday hate.  I don't get it.

Barcelona has its annual Running of the Bulls.  Why can't America have its own version, namely the Running of the Cows?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/29/08 at 8:06 pm

Barcelona has its annual Running of the Bulls.  Why can't America have its own version, namely the Running of the Cows?

Running of the lemmings more like it.
::)

Written By: Jessica on 11/29/08 at 10:53 pm

I shouldn't have, but this made me laugh.  Thank you sir, and karma.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/30/08 at 4:51 am

That would imply that it was a "womans thing" and there are just as many old goats making asses of themselves  ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/30/08 at 8:18 am

Well said.  There is also the shooting at the Toys R Us.  Is it really worth it to save a couple bucks?

The Toys 'R' Us rumble was not about a mad shopping dash.  From what I read in the papers it was a G Thang.  And in a case of instant karma, both gunmen died in the ensuing gunbattle.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/30/08 at 9:58 am

That would imply that it was a "womans thing" and there are just as many old goats making asses of themselves   ;)

Ah yes, but in the running of the bulls men are expecting to get hurt or killed by pissed off animals.  The unfortunate thing is they have nothing to show for it.  At least if women make it out of the store alive and unharmed we have the shopping done. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/30/08 at 10:59 am

Ah yes, but in the running of the bulls men are expecting to get hurt or killed by pissed off animals. 

And should expect the same in the xmas shopping season!
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...