inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 51st Annual Grammy Nominations are in...

Written By: nally on 12/05/08 at 12:00 am

So I just found out from an online article that the nominations for the 2008 Grammys (to be handed out in February 2009) have been announced.... and there are some pretty good picks for the top categories IMO.

To start with, the Record Of The Year will go to one of the following:

Chasing Pavements - Adele
Viva La Vida - Coldplay
Bleeding Love - Leona Lewis
Paper Planes - M.I.A.
Please Read The Letter - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss (now THIS is the only one of the five that I don't know)

Album Of The Year:

"Raising Sand," Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
"Viva La Vida," Coldplay
"Tha Carter III," Lil Wayne
"Year of the Gentleman," Ne-Yo
"In Rainbows," Radiohead

A full list of all the nominees can be found here. (If this link doesn't work, I'm sure you can google-search the info.)

Thoughts, anyone? Predictions?

Subject: Re: 51st Annual Grammy Nominations are in...

Written By: whistledog on 12/05/08 at 12:02 am

Best Dance Recording of the Year:
"Black & Gold," Sam Sparro, Jesse Rogg & Sam Sparro (producers), Jeremy Wheatley (mixer).

I'm surprised this one got a nomination.  One of my favourite songs this year

Written By: Brian06 on 12/05/08 at 8:46 am

God I love "Paper Planes", I'd probably give that Record of the Year, the other songs are good but that one I think it's magic.

Written By: Midas on 12/05/08 at 8:54 am

I'm curious as to why "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" by Daft Punk is included in Best Dance Recording of the Year as it was originally released in 2001.  I guess they're considering the Alive 2007 mix.

I think Coldplay, Radiohead and the Robert Plant/Alison Krause collab are going to be strong contenders.  Apparently the Plant/Krause project is really good.  Plus the voting is done by NARA "experts", not the general public.

I haven't watched in years.  I usually wait 'til the next morning to find out the results. :P

Written By: whistledog on 12/05/08 at 9:57 pm

I'm curious as to why "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" by Daft Punk is included in Best Dance Recording of the Year as it was originally released in 2001.  I guess they're considering the Alive 2007 mix.

I saw that oo and was like WTF.  It's not really fair for a remix to get a nomination like that as it's not fair to all the other electronic/dance artists whose songs don't get recognition. 

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/05/08 at 10:21 pm

I'm surprised Alicia Keys didn't get nominated in the Album of the Year category (or was she nominated last year? I don't even bother watching the Grammys anymore).  :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/06/08 at 9:25 am

Egads, Beyonce's handlers did not manage to pay off the awards to have her nominated in every category.  What's the gal going to do with only ONE nomination?  The world is coming to an end! 

I was glad to see FloRida get a rap nomination for "Low", certainly the most catchy rap tune of the year.  8)

Likewise I would like to see Sara Bareilles score at least one grammy for her effort.  :)

I was surprised that Colbie Caillat  :-* did not get a nomination.  :-\\

Will Kanye West throw a tantrum again this year if he does not win every category? ???

Written By: woops on 12/06/08 at 1:29 pm

No Ting Tings? Was Natasha Bedingfield even mentioned?

Duffy will definately shine  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...