inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is it possible for The Great Depression 2?

Written By: 80sfan on 12/05/08 at 1:54 pm

I'm scared! :-\\

Does anyone know?

The economy looks like crap now.

Subject: Re: Is it possible for The Great Depression 2?

Written By: Tia on 12/05/08 at 2:01 pm

call me a conspiracy theorist, it wouldn't be the first time, but there's something about the whole economy-scare thing that smells fishy to me. get everybody scared silly about the economy and they won't complain about the "bailouts," the ultra-rich get billions and billions of taxpayer dollars but everybody's too freaked out to complain. sorta like how they used 911 to start a phony war in iraq.

i think the economy's bad, but not as bad as it's getting sold. scared people are easier to manage than angry people.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/05/08 at 5:33 pm

i think the economy's bad, but not as bad as it's getting sold. scared people are easier to manage than angry people.

I've been feeling the same way.

Written By: Davester on 12/05/08 at 5:52 pm

call me a conspiracy theorist, it wouldn't be the first time, but there's something about the whole economy-scare thing that smells fishy to me. get everybody scared silly about the economy and they won't complain about the "bailouts," the ultra-rich get billions and billions of taxpayer dollars but everybody's too freaked out to complain. sorta like how they used 911 to start a phony war in iraq.

Werd...

Given how much of the nation's economic performance is psychological (it was said under the Clinton administration that one night Greenspan was seen at dinner with his wife and he was smiling, and the next day a slide on the stock market stopped, with the implied connection it seems almost ridiculous) screaming that the end is nigh is a good idea for the short-term goal of winning an election, but ye gads, that sort of thing is irresponsible...

I should mention on these occasions that, quite literally, prices went up at my local grocery stores the very day Bush was inaugurated. The psychological effect of this presidency on the economy has been nearly atrocious...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/05/08 at 6:28 pm

I don't see it as a Great Depression in a first-rate power, but the downgrading of the U.S. into Third World status over the next couple of generations.  America will be the next Brazil.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/05/08 at 7:13 pm

I can tell you from the viewpoint of my business, the economy is far WORSE than people on TV are making it out to be.

The steel industry, who is the main customer of my company, is in worse shape than at any time in the past 30 years.  Quite simply, steel demand has come to a halt.  We have one customer who is a "name brand" steel mill, who is running at less than 20% of capacity. If the steel demand continues at its present low level for another 3-4 months we will see a wave of new steel company bankruptcies.

US Steel has just shut down two major plants and one of its two iron mines.  ArcelorMittal steel has shut down 40% of its USA capacity.  Imports have even dried up.

Nobody is buying steel because nobody is buying cars or new buildings etc.

This situation is indeed dire.  Hopefully it will clear up, somehow.  Sooner is better.

But I can tell you this for sure.  The economy is WORSE than what people are saying it is.  Let's hope we can get this sucker back on track.

Written By: La Roche on 12/05/08 at 7:56 pm

I just look at my job and see how much work we have and can't see how things could AS bad as the media makes it out to be. For me to have plenty of work, lots and lots of people need to shell out cash to come and see bands play, actors perform and speakers give talks... and they keep doing that.

It's like me and a guy at work we're discussing, as long as you're not part of one of the affected industries I don't see anything changing that much, if however, you are part of one of those aforementioned industries. You're f**ked.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/05/08 at 7:58 pm

Some people are saying the economy is worse than it seems and some people think it's not that bad.

I guess it depends on your belief in the economy and the government (are they trying to control us with fear?) right now.  

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/05/08 at 8:01 pm

I don't see it as a Great Depression in a first-rate power, but the downgrading of the U.S. into Third World status over the next couple of generations.  America will be the next Brazil.

It could be worse :P

Written By: La Roche on 12/05/08 at 9:09 pm

If we become the new Brazil... then will Brazil become the new Tanzania? What will happen to Tanzania? The new Louisiana?  ;D

Written By: joeman on 12/05/08 at 9:21 pm

Its pretty scary right now.  I am currently living in apartment but thinking about moving back to my parents house due to the fact that my second job got axed and my first job is cutting hours.

I just hope Obama can whip up a miracle so we can get out of this crisis.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/05/08 at 9:25 pm

To clarify, we are looking at a small overclass that lives in a different America from the vast majority underclass.

Written By: Tia on 12/05/08 at 9:38 pm

If we become the new Brazil... then will Brazil become the new Tanzania? What will happen to Tanzania? The new Louisiana?  ;D
turns out brazil's kinda booming at the moment.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/06/08 at 7:35 am

I just look at my job and see how much work we have and can't see how things could AS bad as the media makes it out to be. For me to have plenty of work, lots and lots of people need to shell out cash to come and see bands play, actors perform and speakers give talks... and they keep doing that.

It's like me and a guy at work we're discussing, as long as you're not part of one of the affected industries I don't see anything changing that much, if however, you are part of one of those aforementioned industries. You're f**ked.

One mistake that people make is just because they are making it then things couldn't be that bad.  Well, they are, and things may not have hit you, but it will if things keep going the way they are. There is a ripple effect, well more like a tidal wave effect, that will Katrina every related industry.  When 10.6million people are out of work, 10.6 million people slow down on spending, and that will include clothes, food, shelter, sundries, and boys night out.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/06/08 at 9:16 am

One mistake that people make is just because they are making it then things couldn't be that bad.  Well, they are, and things may not have hit you, but it will if things keep going the way they are.

Yep, it is kinda like the guy who jumped off the Empire State Building.

As he passes each floor, he proclaims "So far, so good!".  :-X

Written By: danootaandme on 12/06/08 at 4:09 pm

As he passes each floor, he proclaims "So far, so good!".   :-X

;D  Good way to put it!  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/06/08 at 11:34 pm

As he passes each floor, he proclaims "So far, so good!".   :-X

D'uuuuuh, thank god for concrete; it broke my fall!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_shaking2.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...