inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Madonna demands £5m wedding photo damages

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/08 at 3:44 pm

Madonna demands £5m wedding photo damages

Singer Madonna is seeking more than £5m in damages from the Mail on Sunday for publishing photos of her 2000 wedding to film director Guy Ritchie.

A judge in London heard pictures of the event were copied "surreptitiously" by an interior designer during work at her home in Beverly Hills, California.

The Mail on Sunday published 11 photos of the event on 19 October this year.

The judge found in Madonna's favour after the newspaper admitted breach of privacy and copyright.

According to Madonna's barrister Matthew Nicklin, the Mail on Sunday "makes no attempt to defend what it did".

The paper paid £5,000 for the images of the "wholly private" event, held on 22 December 2000 at Skibo Castle in Scotland.

Lawyers for Associated Newspapers, which owns of the Daily Mail and the Mail on Sunday, could not be reached for comment.

'Ambushed'

Mr Nicklin said the singer was effectively "ambushed", having been given no prior warning that the paper was intending to publish the photographs.

"If the Mail on Sunday had told her what they intended to do, the claimant would have sought and obtained an injunction."

Madonna, who was divorced from Guy Ritchie earlier this year, is seeking "in excess of £5 million, being the estimated value of the photographs".

Mr Justice Eady has entered judgment in Madonna's favour on the issue of liability.

Further proceedings to assess the damages are expected to be heard at the High Court next year.

Subject: Re: Madonna demands £5m wedding photo damages

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/08 at 3:45 pm

The photos are not worth anything for the marriage has now been dissolved!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/08/08 at 5:57 pm

10 years from now people will not even know who Guy Ritche is and Madonna will be in a retirement home.  Such is life. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/08 at 7:55 pm

I can see why Madonna would be upset.  Isn't it obvious they were private photos?  Were they on a Brazilian beach?  Were they naked?  Was there a native with an awfully long *how-do-you-do* between them?  No?  Then they were private photos and the papers have no business exposing them!
:D

Written By: Green Lantern on 12/09/08 at 10:07 am

10 years from now people will not even know who Guy Ritche is and Madonna will be in a retirement home.  Such is life. ::)

Written By: Green Lantern on 12/09/08 at 10:09 am

She wants £5m  ??

The papers should offer me 10% of that money. I'll mess those pix up SO good, they'll think she married  E. T. !

Written By: danootaandme on 12/09/08 at 10:43 am

I can see why Madonna would be upset.  Isn't it obvious they were private photos?  Were they on a Brazilian beach?  Were they naked?  Was there a native with an awfully long *how-do-you-do* between them?  No?  Then they were private photos and the papers have no business exposing them!

Yes, despite what happens in public everyone deserves control of privacy issues in their own homes. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/09/08 at 9:50 pm

Yes, despite what happens in public everyone deserves control of privacy issues in their own homes. 

Well, she's got them for "invasion of privacy" without fail.  Paparatzee do go way too far.  They'll say since the person is a public figure it no holds bar.  However everyone feels the right for privacy.

Written By: Gis on 12/10/08 at 3:06 am

Well, she's got them for "invasion of privacy" without fail.  Paparatzee do go way too far.  They'll say since the person is a public figure it no holds bar.  However everyone feels the right for privacy.
Agreed, but she'd go up in a lot of people's estimation if she then gave the money to charity...................but somehow i can't see that happening.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/10/08 at 10:52 am

Agreed, but she'd go up in a lot of people's estimation if she then gave the money to charity...................but somehow i can't see that happening.

Never could figure out why she doesn't help people more.  Like you said it could only help her image.

Written By: Marian on 12/10/08 at 7:13 pm

Well then she should have gotten married in Amish country!LOL

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/10/08 at 7:22 pm

Well then she should have gotten married in Amish country!LOL

What's your point?  I lived in Lancaster County for 30 years.  They still would have found her.  We're not that backwards.

Check for new replies or respond here...