inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Copy Control Technology .. did it really work?

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/08 at 12:20 am

I don't know if record companies still do this or not, but did Copy Controlled Technology contained within the CD really work?

I have the Kylie Minogue album 'Ultimate Kylie' that has the CC in it, and I just ripped it completely to mp3 format.  When you pop in the CD, it says some files have to be installed in order for the CD to work properly.  Was this just a scare tactic? lol

Subject: Re: Copy Control Technology .. did it really work?

Written By: Davester on 12/09/08 at 12:22 am

There's some bar code etched into the inner track of the disc.  It's said that if you black that out with a felt tip marker the copy protection can be defeated.  I haven't tried that one yet...

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/08 at 12:29 am

There's some bar code etched into the inner track of the disc.  It's said that if you black that out with a felt tip marker the copy protection can be defeated.  I haven't tried that one yet...

Early CC discs had a noticable ring around the outer edge, which usually told you the CD contained some sort of multi-media track.  I often read that using tape to cover that ring would defeat the CC technology but I never really tried that as I've never had a problem ripping a CC disc

Could be the program I use though, you never know

Written By: Davester on 12/09/08 at 12:33 am

Early CC discs had a noticable ring around the outer edge, which usually told you the CD contained some sort of multi-media track.  I often read that using tape to cover that ring would defeat the CC technology but I never really tried that as I've never had a problem ripping a CC disc

Could be the program I use though, you never know

Yeah, I think.  The innermost part of the disc, near the hole, where none of the actual recording would be affected.  I've never had a problem ripping CDs.  Sharing the files was another matter and had to be converted to mp3 to get around the DRM...

There's something to be said for clever crooks, eh..?

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/08 at 12:40 am

Yeah, I think.  The innermost part of the disc, near the hole, where none of the actual recording would be affected.  I've never had a problem ripping CDs.  Sharing the files was another matter and had to be converted to mp3 to get around the DRM...

There's something to be said for clever crooks, eh..?

Indeed.

Some artists even went further than Copy Control Technology, by embedding a special kind of technology within the disc which made it incompatible with any computer.  You'd pop the disc into the drive, and it wouldn't read at all. 

I once bought a CD with that and was so pissed off because at the time, the only CD player I had was the one in my computer

Written By: Brian06 on 12/09/08 at 12:45 am

Doesn't work, I had a Foo Fighters album with it a while back, and you get by it by disabling autorun. I also know how to remove DRM from protected WMA files, I have the hack from the internet.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/09/08 at 10:04 pm

I have the Kylie Minogue album 'Ultimate Kylie' that has the CC in it, and I just ripped it completely to mp3 format.  When you pop in the CD, it says some files have to be installed in order for the CD to work properly.  Was this just a scare tactic? lol

Google "Sony CD rootkit".  Short answer, if you're running Windows, and you have Autorun enabled, the data track might contain malware that, if you're naive enough to install it, might prevent you from ripping it.

To be pedantic for a moment, such discs aren't CDs, because they don't comply with the Red Book standard that defines "compact disc", and therefore cannot use Philips' "CD" logo.  They're discs with data and music on them, and they may or may not work in consumer audio gear.

By telling you how to "circumvent" these "technological measures", however, I'd be breaking the DMCA, a felony offense.  You, by admitting that you have circumvented these technological measures, may be a felon.  (Unless, of course, you were lying about having ripped it.  Which you might be.  I certainly don't have any proof that you just ripped it to MP3, and neither does anyone else reading this.)

There is, of course, an XKCD cartoon for every occasion, and this is no exception:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/sony_microsoft_mpaa_riaa_apple.jpg

But to answer the original question, it doesn't work, it didn't work, and it won't work the next time they try it either.  The industry either makes the transition to DRM-free music, or it deals with the glacier.

Check for new replies or respond here...