inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: All versions of IE need Critical Update

Written By: Tam on 12/17/08 at 7:11 pm

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/111811;_ylt=Ajd6mNLvXN2xNBrmPRmKm3MazJV4

Basically, a vulnerability has been found and not all personal machines are updating on their own. The vulnerability makes it so a hacker can get all of your information, including passwords, even through your firewall and internet security. (Trend Micro found the flaw and made Microsoft aware.)

Steps to update

Vista:

Click Start
Click Control Panel
Double click Windows Update
Left hand pane - Click Check for Updates
If it hasn't updated already, it will come up with a critical update notice.
Click install.
When finished, restart your computer.

Other Windows Versions:

Click Start
Click All Programs
In this branch off, at the top somewhere click Windows Update
IE will launch and take you to the Windows Update site.
Click Express
Critical Update should appear.
Click download
When finished restart your computer.

Subject: Re: All versions of IE need Critical Update

Written By: Step-chan on 12/17/08 at 10:20 pm

I've started having a new problem with IE, mainly with pop up windows leading to different sites.

I found out from my mom that they mentioned this on the news, where sites pop up and try to steal your passwords.(They also mentioned to use a different web browser, I lack a second one. At least I think I do, I seen something for Firefox, but I'm not sure if it's the browser)

I installed Spybot recently, to try to combat the problem. At least I have far fewer spyware problems now, but this one still comes up occasionally.

Written By: Tam on 12/18/08 at 6:17 am

^ As long as you do the critical update, there shouldn't be any problems with IE.

You have to do the steps though, because not everyone has their browser to automatically update everyday. ;)

Written By: karen on 12/18/08 at 8:17 am

The problem I have is that with Vista you can set up people as admin or user accounts.  I am on the computer most of the time but only have user rights.  When I get a pop-up about microsoft updates I can't do it because you need the admin password.  Then I forget to tell Dai about dowloading the updates.

Written By: Tam on 12/18/08 at 8:20 am

The problem I have is that with Vista you can set up people as admin or user accounts.  I am on the computer most of the time but only have user rights.  When I get a pop-up about microsoft updates I can't do it because you need the admin password.  Then I forget to tell Dai about dowloading the updates.

I can send you a reminder?
Like when you sent me a reminder ;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/18/08 at 8:33 am

This is one of the reasons why I have an iMac and Firefox.

Written By: gumbypiz on 12/18/08 at 2:55 pm

This is one of the reasons why I have an iMac and Firefox.

I agree, I've used Firefox for the last 4 years.
What I don't understand is why anyone with any familiarity with computers uses IE. With the constant security issues, bugs, pop-ups and so forth, there are other browser choices. Almost anyone of them better than IE. How many of these MS critical update/security patches do you have to deal with before the inherent crucial fatal flaws in IE are revealed and you decide to move on? ::)

Firefox is not perfect (takes too long to load/start for me), but its a heck of a lot better than IE, with its add-ons its very customizable and very easy to use. The security issues that exist in IE are minimal or not existent in FF. Almost anyone that has been introduced to FF sees its advantages over IE almost instantly (with add-ons like Adblock Plus, or Customize Google and thousands more add-ons/plug ins/themes to make the internet do what YOU want it to do).

Written By: Step-chan on 12/18/08 at 10:46 pm

Although I rarely use my email accounts, what browsers allow the use of them?

(I read that firefox doesn't do email sending)

^ As long as you do the critical update, there shouldn't be any problems with IE.

You have to do the steps though, because not everyone has their browser to automatically update everyday. ;)

The funny thing with what I have now is that it doesn't pop up unless it's either been awhile, or the Microsoft validation* site pops up(which is a legit link itself and didn't cause that itself, since it didn't happen until last week. However, if I don't close the window with the validation, it pops up something), I go on certain sites or have more than one web window of the same type up.

*I did a WindowsXP update probably about alittle over a month ago and now it says I may be a victim of software counterfeiting. The computer I have had a copy of the OS program from what my brother in law says.(Sucks that the thing had spyware when I got it from them, since I didn't have internet at that point)

Either way, I need to.. as soon as I can get the resources and the help, do a reload. I can't even use the CD drives thanks to the spyware in it(I found out right after getting the computer, that both the CD drives and floppy disc drives weren't reading).

Written By: Tam on 12/18/08 at 10:58 pm

Although I rarely use my email accounts, what browsers allow the use of them?

The funny thing with what I have now is that it doesn't pop up unless it's either been awhile, or the Microsoft validation* site pops up(which is a legit link itself and didn't cause that itself, since it didn't happen until last week. However, if I don't close the window with the validation, it pops up something), I go on certain sites or have more than one web window of the same type up.

*I did a WindowsXP update probably about alittle over a month ago and now it says I may be a victim of software counterfeiting. The computer I have had a copy of the OS program from what my brother in law says.(Sucks that the thing had spyware when I got it from them, since I didn't have internet at that point)

Either way, I need to.. as soon as I can get the resources and the help, do a reload. I can't even use the CD drives thanks to the spyware in it(I found out right after getting the computer, that both the CD drives and floppy disc drives weren't reading).

True story - I am now using Google Chrome - as of today!
(It is a Safari build.) It is amazing. Takes a bit to get used to but runs like a charm. Pops are stopped. Email sending is excellent. Everything works great.

Spyware - go to www.download.com and in the search type "superspyware"
Download the program, SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition 4.23.1006 and run it on your PC.
It will take care of pretty much everything.

As for the counterfeit OS - it was put on your PC secondary to the main unit it was first used on. It is activated on the other unit, so you do not have a legal copy of Windows. You won't get any updates because it won't pass the Legitimency test to see if it is pirated or not. Best of luck there. You will need to buy a whole new copy of the OS. :(

Written By: Dagwood on 12/19/08 at 12:05 am

The only email I have a problem with sending is Comcast, but they switched to some new program.  I haven't had a problem sending gmail, yahoo or juno from Firefox.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/19/08 at 2:39 pm

I finally downloaded Firefox, but I haven't switched everything over yet.  My machine's old, and it'll be a while yet before I can replace it, so I'll be safer with Firefox.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/20/08 at 7:13 pm

True story - I am now using Google Chrome - as of today!
(It is a Safari build.) It is amazing. Takes a bit to get used to but runs like a charm. Pops are stopped. Email sending is excellent. Everything works great.

Spyware - go to www.download.com and in the search type "superspyware"
Download the program, SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition 4.23.1006 and run it on your PC.
It will take care of pretty much everything.

As for the counterfeit OS - it was put on your PC secondary to the main unit it was first used on. It is activated on the other unit, so you do not have a legal copy of Windows. You won't get any updates because it won't pass the Legitimency test to see if it is pirated or not. Best of luck there. You will need to buy a whole new copy of the OS. :(

Yep, I even tried to get the number for it and it didn't match. If I didn't try the update it wouldn't have happened.

Part of the Spyware source was from Bearshare, which my sister had downloaded into computer for some music downloads.(I unistalled it later)

I still have stuff I want to transfer from the hard drive to my flashdrives. It's just a shame I can't use the CD ports. >:(

Written By: Step-chan on 12/20/08 at 7:17 pm

The only email I have a problem with sending is Comcast, but they switched to some new program.  I haven't had a problem sending gmail, yahoo or juno from Firefox.

I think it was on the IE version 8 thread that someone said they weren't able to send emails when using Firefox.

I have Yahoo and Hotmail email accounts.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/20/08 at 7:50 pm

I think it was on the IE version 8 thread that someone said they weren't able to send emails when using Firefox.

I have Yahoo and Hotmail email accounts.

That was me that said that, I just checked the thread.  The only email program I can't send emails is the Comcast program.  I think it is Comcast's fault, I didn't have a problem before they updated and I was using Firefox 3 then as well.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/21/08 at 7:11 pm

That was me that said that, I just checked the thread.  The only email program I can't send emails is the Comcast program.  I think it is Comcast's fault, I didn't have a problem before they updated and I was using Firefox 3 then as well.

Oh, so my accounts are fine then. :)

Written By: Dagwood on 12/21/08 at 7:53 pm

Oh, so my accounts are fine then. :)

They should be. :)

Written By: Step-chan on 12/23/08 at 12:40 am

They should be. :)

Cool.

Check for new replies or respond here...