inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Twisted Sister performs "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" as only they can...

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/23/08 at 9:19 am

No idea how I missed this when it came out two years ago, but it's still pretty funny if your childhood included the original Twisted Sister videos.  It sounds just like "We're Not Gonna Take It".

Watch the YouTube Video complete with a silly introduction just like their old videos.

Subject: Re: Twisted Sister performs "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" as only they can...

Written By: MasonR on 12/23/08 at 6:15 pm

Hi ChuckieG,

Actually, you're almost right--there is a connection between the 2 songs and I got it from the horse's mouth:

In the early-mid 80s, when Twisted Sister was big and "We're Not Gonna Take It" was the big hit of the day, one of my co-workers at "Modern Photography" magazine happened to be the lead guitarist, Dee Snyder's, sister-in-law. Rachel told me that "We're Not Gonna Take It" was deliberately written to the tune of "Oh Come All Ye Faithful." The guys in the band apparently felt since it was written based on an already popular tune, that might subliminally help sell more records.

So, I think we can safely say "We're Not Gonna Take It" was a parody!

-Mason

Subject: Re: Twisted Sister performs "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" as only they can...

Written By: woops on 12/23/08 at 10:06 pm

Better song than the recent  "I'll Be Home For Christmas" with Lita Ford and it does sound like "We're Not Gonna Take It". Though nothing beats the original video.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/23/08 at 10:07 pm

Hi ChuckieG,

Actually, you're almost right--there is a connection between the 2 songs and I got it from the horse's mouth:

In the early-mid 80s, when Twisted Sister was big and "We're Not Gonna Take It" was the big hit of the day, one of my co-workers at "Modern Photography" magazine happened to be the lead guitarist, Dee Snyder's, sister-in-law. Rachel told me that "We're Not Gonna Take It" was deliberately written to the tune of "Oh Come All Ye Faithful." The guys in the band apparently felt since it was written based on an already popular tune, that might subliminally help sell more records.

So, I think we can safely say "We're Not Gonna Take It" was a parody!

-Mason

I've heard him say that before... I just thought it was made up.  Kurt Cobain used to say his songs were based on totally unlikely sources all the time.

Check for new replies or respond here...