inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will the "Generation Y" tag disappear in favor of "Millenials"?

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/23/08 at 11:35 am

If you've read recently published books, magazines, and newspaper articles, more and more people tend to prefer the term "Millenials" over "Generation Y". I believe this may be that Millenials is more formal and mature descriptor as opposed to the more slangish "Generation Y". After all, we will soon run out of letters, so to sustain generation names for the future, it would be better to name as opposed to give cool letter names. Only "Generation X" may remain appopriate due to the famous book published. This transition may last a while, however. 

Subject: Re: Will the "Generation Y" tag disappear in favor of "Millenials"?

Written By: sonikuu on 12/23/08 at 11:58 am

I hope so.  Generation Y is the worst generation name ever.  Generation X had a reason for being called that.  The reason the current young generation is called Generation Y is due to laziness and unimaginative corporate demographic reports.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/23/08 at 12:57 pm

We're all going to disappear sooner or later...

Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind...
:o

Written By: joeman on 12/23/08 at 1:00 pm

Personally, I hate labels made by marketers.

If generation gaps beyond pop culture do exist, then how do you explain the Amish people?  ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/23/08 at 6:01 pm

If you've read recently published books, magazines, and newspaper articles, more and more people tend to prefer the term "Millenials" over "Generation Y". 

Mellenials

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/24/08 at 5:46 am

I'm not sure since Gen Y refers to people born in the 80's to mid-90's. Speaking of generations, there has been a recent baby boom occurring so the babies being born now might in the future be referred to as "the new baby boomers".

Written By: danootaandme on 12/24/08 at 5:49 am

I'm not sure since Gen Y refers to people born in the 80's to mid-90's. Speaking of generations, there has been a recent baby boom occurring so the babies being born now might in the future be referred to as "the new baby boomers".

Kaboomers?

Written By: joeman on 12/24/08 at 6:03 am

Well considering that the people born in the 00s are called Generation Z(really creative, marketers), I am guessing the generation after that is going to be called Generation AB.

AB will be short for After-Boomers or something along of the cheesy lines.

Written By: Davester on 12/25/08 at 3:18 pm

Stay with"milenial".  It's a tough name...

Written By: 80sfan on 12/25/08 at 3:38 pm

I was born in 1988. I read a newspaper article you all would be interested in. It is about generations and they split generations into something like this:
Silent Generation: I forgot
Baby boom: 1946-1964
Generation x: 1965-1980
Millenials: 1981-1996
Generation Z?: 1997-2011

The newspaper made no claim of transition periods or cusps of generations.

This is all for you.

Written By: tv on 12/25/08 at 4:50 pm

I was born in 1988. I read a newspaper article you all would be interested in. It is about generations and they split generations into something like this:

This is all for you.

I would agree that 1997 is the first Generation Z year.

Written By: joeman on 12/25/08 at 6:47 pm

This is all for you.

These dates are based off birth-rates.  When Vietnam War started, most of the people born from WWII soldiers(baby boomers), were drafted rather than going by everyday life which caused a birthday rates to plunged.  It was not until 1976/77(which some sources place this as the beginning of Generation Y) where birthrates picked back up again, which made sense since Vietnam War ended in 1975. 

I have seen a lot of variations of different birthrates and in my opinion this is mostly US based.  During 1965, America birthrates went down but iirc United Kingdom had another 'baby boom' during that time.  Also, Jonathan Pontell, the man who invented 'Generation Jones' believes the baby boom started in 1942 and ended in 1953.  I tend to take his stance since my dad was born in 42(though he could be a cusper) and I see him as a boomer since his record collection consist of 60's folk music along the lines of James Taylor, Neil Young, America, etc...

Marketers loves to look at birthrates so they can market and exploit them for profit.  Right now, Generation Y being marketed heavily with cellphones, whatever MTV is putting out, and *sigh* glam rap.  Of course, not all in that age group will fall into that advertisement, but it is easier to market towards them than Generation X, which is a smaller population by comparison.

As for me, I am Gen Y(though in other sources I am a cusper) but I don't make enough money to be caught up in consumerism lol.  I make enough money to pay for my apartment, car insurance, food, and possibly a night a month in that all you can drink specials at my local bar hehe.

With this recession coming up, I can see Gen Y probably be marketed similiar to Gen X though, since someone commented in my '2009 thread' that there might be a gangster rap revival.  Time will only tell.

Written By: tv on 12/25/08 at 7:51 pm

These dates are based off birth-rates.  When Vietnam War started, most of the people born from WWII soldiers(baby boomers), were drafted rather than going by everyday life which caused a birthday rates to plunged.  It was not until 1976/77(which some sources place this as the beginning of Generation Y) where birthrates picked back up again, which made sense since Vietnam War ended in 1975. 

I have seen a lot of variations of different birthrates and in my opinion this is mostly US based.  During 1965, America birthrates went down but iirc United Kingdom had another 'baby boom' during that time.  Also, Jonathan Pontell, the man who invented 'Generation Jones' believes the baby boom started in 1942 and ended in 1953.  I tend to take his stance since my dad was born in 42(though he could be a cusper) and I see him as a boomer since his record collection consist of 60's folk music along the lines of James Taylor, Neil Young, America, etc...

Marketers loves to look at birthrates so they can market and exploit them for profit.  Right now, Generation Y being marketed heavily with cellphones, whatever MTV is putting out, and *sigh* glam rap.   Of course, not all in that age group will fall into that advertisement, but it is easier to market towards them than Generation X, which is a smaller population by comparison.

As for me, I am Gen Y(though in other sources I am a cusper) but I don't make enough money to be caught up in consumerism lol.  I make enough money to pay for my apartment, car insurance, food, and possibly a night a month in that all you can drink specials at my local bar hehe.

With this recession coming up, I can see Gen Y probably be marketed similiar to Gen X though, since someone commented in my '2009 thread' that there might be a gangster rap revival.  Time will only tell.
Nah, glam rap is pretty much dead now. Its electro pop or urban pop like Beyonce, Rihanna, or Britney Spears that people dig now.

Also, generation Y only has a few more years that they are going to have control of the music scene. 2012 or 2013 is when generation Z will have control of the music scene. Now, Generation Z kinda has only a little control of the music scene with Miley Cyrus and The Jonas Brothers.

Written By: joeman on 12/25/08 at 7:56 pm

Nah, glam rap is pretty much dead now. Its electro pop or urban pop like Beyonce, Rihanna, or Britney Spears that people dig now.

Thank god glam rap is dead.  Did Lil Wayne get framed for being a fraud or something?

I am surprised Britney Spears came back so soon.  I figure she would she would rebound in early-mid 09.

Written By: gfdgd on 01/15/09 at 6:47 pm

Mellenials

Oh and I guess we're those powerful financial institutions who just caused the 2nd Great Depression due to selfishness and greed.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/15/09 at 7:23 pm

Oh and I guess we're those powerful financial institutions who just caused the 2nd Great Depression due to selfishness and greed.

Oh stop your whining.  It isn't the generation that caused it, it is the class of people that caused it. 

Written By: fdsg on 01/16/09 at 4:40 am

Oh stop your whining.  It isn't the generation that caused it, it is the class of people that caused it. 

Then I don't think you're in any position to criticize an entire generation as being narcissistic with your condescending "Me".

Written By: danootaandme on 01/16/09 at 5:40 am

::)  oh stop it.  I think you need a nap.  My being a bit snarky is not a reason for you to stamp your foot and pout

Written By: Jessica on 01/16/09 at 10:11 am

::)  oh stop it.  I think you need a nap.  My being a bit snarky is not a reason for you to stamp your foot and pout

I do believe you have touched a nerve there, Danoota. ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 01/16/09 at 10:18 am

I do believe you have touched a nerve there, Danoota. ;D

I do believe you are right.  ;D

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/16/09 at 10:22 am

They both sound dumb.

Written By: Davester on 01/17/09 at 2:22 am

They should call themselves Generation Cleveland...

Written By: joeman on 01/17/09 at 8:39 am

I'll be happy with that.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/17/09 at 10:57 am

Why that, because of me?

Written By: vcv on 01/19/09 at 6:13 pm

No you're being condescending like I said. Apparently you think our whole generation is somehow selfish and only thinks of ourselves. I'm assuming your generation is full of love and happiness and cares for each other?  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/20/09 at 5:38 am

No you're being condescending like I said. Apparently you think our whole generation is somehow selfish and only thinks of ourselves. I'm assuming your generation is full of love and happiness and cares for each other?  ::)

I see you still haven't taken that nap

Written By: khjh on 01/20/09 at 8:59 am

I see you still haven't taken that nap

There you go again acting like you're somehow a better person just because you know how to make snappy one liner posts. I don't know what makes you take this thing so lightly. Your comment is a form of prejudice and acting like it's okay to paint a broad brush over an entire group of people and then just laugh about it is just sad.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/20/09 at 9:51 am

There you go again acting like you're somehow a better person just because you know how to make snappy one liner posts. I don't know what makes you take this thing so lightly. Your comment is a form of prejudice and acting like it's okay to paint a broad brush over an entire group of people and then just laugh about it is just sad.

This all started over a joke, word play, jest if you will.  Because of that one small joke you have decided you know everything about how I think, feel, and act.  I counter that it is you are painted a broad bush over my entire life, on the strength of one very small, very insignificant joke.  Pouting over it.  I would say that that says more about you than it does about me.

Now about that nap......

Check for new replies or respond here...