inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Culturally, what will 2009 be like?

Written By: joeman on 12/23/08 at 7:53 pm

With this up and coming depression that might be going next year, will this year be a very dark moment of the 00s, or will it be just like any other year?

Subject: Re: Culturally, what will 2009 be like?

Written By: woops on 12/23/08 at 10:10 pm

Looney Tunes back on tv on regular schedule 8)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/24/08 at 12:51 am

With this up and coming depression that might be going next year, will this year be a very dark moment of the 00s, or will it be just like any other year?

2009 will be 1929.  :-\\

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/24/08 at 5:43 am

It will be dark in some ways, but at the same time there will be a light of hope when Obama steps into the White House on Jan. 20. I really can't wait for that day! However with the economy, I know Obama won't realistically be able to fix it overnight. It will take a few years, and it will get worse before it gets better. I think there will be a surge in violent crime due to the rise in poverty and unemployment. Along with that, there might be a resurgence in the early 1990's style gangsta rap with violent lyrics.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/24/08 at 5:53 am

A lot of people will wake the f**k up and realize they are not middle class, they are working class.  The will not identify with the Donald as a peer and indentify with the mailman, postman, office worker, and the people next door.  They will end the shop 'til you drop, and instead share 'cause you care.  That is what I hope.

Written By: Haman on 12/24/08 at 2:23 pm

You ask culturally, don't you? From a cultural point of view, I guess the Western world will keep on becoming more and more deteriorated as a general rule.

I hope I'm wrong.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/25/08 at 12:00 am

"It is really quite simple. We have been compiling a list which shall contain all the possible bailout schemes of the Federal Reserve.  Call it ritual, if you like, but it’s a fundamental part of our belief.  All the many names of the Bailout -- AMLF, CPFF, MMIFF, EESA, PDCF, TAF, TALF, TARP, TSLF, ZIRP and so on -- they are only bank-made labels. There is a philosophical problem of some difficulty here, which I do not propose to discuss, but somewhere among all the possible combinations of letters, which can occur, are what one may call the real names of the Bailout. By systematic permutation of letters, we have been trying to list them all."

- With apologies to Arthur C. Clarke's Nine Billion Names of God.

The sky is always darkest just before it goes pitch black.

Written By: whistledog on 12/25/08 at 12:44 am

Culturally, what will 2009 be like?

a sh!thole :(

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/25/08 at 8:52 am

Hopefully a better year for me.

But as for everyone else...I'm unsure!

Written By: joeman on 12/25/08 at 6:55 pm

It will be dark in some ways, but at the same time there will be a light of hope when Obama steps into the White House on Jan. 20. I really can't wait for that day! However with the economy, I know Obama won't realistically be able to fix it overnight. It will take a few years, and it will get worse before it gets better. I think there will be a surge in violent crime due to the rise in poverty and unemployment. Along with that, there might be a resurgence in the early 1990's style gangsta rap with violent lyrics.

I hope too that Obama kicks ass during his time at office.  I might welcome gangsta rap back, but I could see a resurgence of alternative rock being brought back too which would make the traditional 20 year revival cycle(this time the 90's) start.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/25/08 at 7:22 pm

I hope too that Obama kicks ass during his time at office.  I might welcome gangsta rap back, but I could see a resurgence of alternative rock being brought back too which would make the traditional 20 year revival cycle(this time the 90's) start.

I do also see a rise in alternative rock over the next few years. In fact, it's already happening now with a rise in indie rock bands on the charts, such as The Ting Tings.

Written By: joeman on 12/25/08 at 7:57 pm

I do also see a rise in alternative rock over the next few years. In fact, it's already happening now with a rise in indie rock bands on the charts, such as The Ting Tings.

I wouldn't mind it honestly.  Down here in Tampa, we had an alternative station that lasted for a very long time before it got converted to another hip-hop station.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/25/08 at 9:53 pm

I had a conversation with my nephew this afternoon about how rap is pretty much dead. Afterwards, we gave each other a high five!  8)

When I turn on the radio now, only about 15% of the songs are r and b or rap.

And about alternative rock? I welcome you back rock and roll!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/beerchug.gif

Written By: thewolrab on 12/27/08 at 12:55 pm

Let's just wait and find out...

Check for new replies or respond here...