inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Besides Jesus, who is the most famous person ever?

Written By: 80sfan on 12/25/08 at 12:20 am

Okay, the reason why I don't count Jesus Christ in this is because it sooooooooo obvious that he was and is the most famous person in history. He is the son of God for God sakes, lol! So it is only reasonable that he is the most famous person of all time.

Think of this as a good Christmas topic.

I pick: Elvis.

I'm not a huge fan, but I like him. He just seemed very sincere and straightforward.

He started the whole teen star thing. He was the first teen star. The teenage market didn't pick up until the 50's, so he was like a pioneer for stars later in the decades and centuries. If anyone can beat him in fame and influence than I will bow to (I'm just kidding) that person because Elvis seems almost impossible to beat.

Subject: Re: Besides Jesus, who is the most famous person ever?

Written By: whistledog on 12/25/08 at 12:43 am

John Lennon.

"The Beatles were 'bigger than Jesus"

Written By: joeman on 12/25/08 at 8:42 am

Okay, the reason why I don't count Jesus Christ in this is because it sooooooooo obvious that he was and is the most famous person in history. He is the son of God for God sakes, lol! So it is only reasonable that he is the most famous person of all time.

Think of this as a good Christmas topic.

I pick: Elvis.

I'm not a huge fan, but I like him. He just seemed very sincere and straightforward.

He started the whole teen star thing. He was the first teen star. The teenage market didn't pick up until the 50's, so he was like a pioneer for stars later in the decades and centuries. If anyone can beat him in fame and influence than I will bow to (I'm just kidding) that person because Elvis seems almost impossible to beat.

How about Tom Anderson from Myspace?  He has 253354995 friends.  ::)

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/25/08 at 8:55 am

Shakespeare, Disney, MLK, and Lincoln.

Written By: Davester on 12/25/08 at 10:11 am

Adolf Hitler...

Written By: Bobo on 12/25/08 at 8:53 pm

I quite like the Myspace analogy. If Hitler, Shakespeare, Walt Disney, Dr. King, Lincoln, or the others had social network accouts, I wonder how many friends they would have.

Plus, it would be kinda fun to read Shakespeare's blog!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/26/08 at 2:25 am

Moses ?

Written By: danootaandme on 12/26/08 at 7:00 am

John Lennon.

What he said was "more popular" not "bigger"

Written By: danootaandme on 12/26/08 at 7:01 am

Buddha

Written By: ninny on 12/26/08 at 7:46 am

Ghandi

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/26/08 at 7:51 am

Cliff Richard?

Written By: Trimac20 on 12/26/08 at 9:05 am

Buddha, Muhammad, Moses, Abraham, Confucius - a lot of the founders of the religions, Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great, Queen Victoria

Written By: danootaandme on 12/26/08 at 10:27 am

Queen Vic?....don't think so

Written By: Dagwood on 12/26/08 at 10:46 am

You guys all missed the most obvious.....ME! ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/26/08 at 11:18 am

Buddha, Muhammad, Moses, Abraham, Confucius - a lot of the founders of the religions, Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great, Queen Victoria

Queen Vic?....don't think so
Perhaps, King Henry VIII is meant here?

Written By: philbo on 12/26/08 at 11:25 am

Victoria's not such a bad suggestion: while she was alive, pretty much the whole world knew who she was - after all, there were Brits going trading, fighting and plundering almost everywhere around the globe in her name.

But I'd argue about Jesus being the most famous person ever: bear in mind that while he was alive, nobody wrote anything about him.  The "Jesus" we all think we know is a bunch of applied mythology, not a person who lived.

Written By: Midas on 12/26/08 at 11:37 am

You guys all missed the most obvious.....ME! ;D

Yay I know the most famous person ever besides Jesus! :D  HOO HOO HOO!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/26/08 at 2:27 pm

Van Gogh, Picasso, Plato, Socrates, "The Mona Lisa," Adam and Eve, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, John, Paul, George and Ringo, Abraham (the prophet), Adolf Hitler, George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Princess Diana, Mother Theresa, Joan of Arc, etc.

Written By: ninny on 12/26/08 at 6:25 pm

Victoria's not such a bad suggestion: while she was alive, pretty much the whole world knew who she was - after all, there were Brits going trading, fighting and plundering almost everywhere around the globe in her name.

But I'd argue about Jesus being the most famous person ever: bear in mind that while he was alive, nobody wrote anything about him.  The "Jesus" we all think we know is a bunch of applied mythology, not a person who lived.

Then what's the New Testament,The gospels are about Jesus Ministry's..you know Matthew,Mark,Luke,John,Paul.Matthew was a disciple and trained under him.

How about Abraham Lincoln.

Written By: philbo on 12/27/08 at 2:38 am

Then what's the New Testament,The gospels are about Jesus Ministry's..you know Matthew,Mark,Luke,John,Paul.Matthew was a disciple and trained under him.

The gospels weren't written when Jesus were alive, and it's unlikely that any of them were written by the apostles themselves.  We're not talking a whole book of substantiated eye-witness accounts, here.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/27/08 at 4:22 am

Was isn't is.  She had her place in time, but her time passed.

If you are talking most famous ever, not ones tied to insular political, social, or ethnocentric constraints, I would think major figures in majority religions would be on the top of the scale. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/27/08 at 11:27 am

Jesus Christ who?
:P

Written By: ninny on 12/27/08 at 2:29 pm

The gospels weren't written when Jesus were alive, and it's unlikely that any of them were written by the apostles themselves.  We're not talking a whole book of substantiated eye-witness accounts, here.

The gospel of Mark,has Mark recording Simon Peter who was a Apostle.

The gospel itself is anonymous, but as early as Papias in the early 2nd century, a text was attributed to Mark, a cousin of Barnabas., who is said to have recorded the Apostle's discourses. Papias' authority in this was John the Presbyter. While the text of Papias is no longer extant, it was quoted by Eusebius of Caesarea:

This, too, the presbyter used to say. ‘Mark, who had been Peter's interpreter, wrote down carefully, but not in order, all that he remembered of the Lord’s sayings and doings. For he had not heard the Lord or been one of his followers, but later, as I said, one of Peter’s. Peter used to adapt his teachings to the occasion, without making a systematic arrangement of the Lord’s sayings, so that Mark was quite justified in writing down some of the things as he remembered them. For he had one purpose only – to leave out nothing that he had heard, and to make no misstatement about it.

http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/gospel-of-mark.htm

Written By: danootaandme on 12/27/08 at 4:02 pm

^Heresay.  Won't hold up in court

Written By: philbo on 12/27/08 at 4:12 pm

http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/gospel-of-mark.htm

The consensus among scholars is that the book of Mark was written between 50 and 60 A.D.
That's exactly what I was saying: nobody wrote about Jesus while he was alive.

If Jesus was this earth-shatteringly miraculous person, how on earth could that be the case?  Why are there not hundreds or thousands of astounded onlookers passing on the miracles they witnessed? (that site also says
First, it clearly establishes that Jesus Christ is the Messiah that was prophesied throughout the Old Testament. Second, it proves that Jesus was the Son of God, whom He claimed to be by living a sinless and perfect life.
...it "proves" nothing of the sort - the level of proof contained is exactly what is in L Ron Hubbard's Scientology books.  It certainly ain't proof that would stand up in any court of law.

Was isn't is.  She had her place in time, but her time passed.

If you are talking most famous ever, not ones tied to insular political, social, or ethnocentric constraints, I would think major figures in majority religions would be on the top of the scale. 

But when it comes to name recognition today, you'll find that she's still remembered all round the world.  As is our current queen, I suppose.

A lot depends on what you call "famous" - whether people have heard of the name; can actually say something this person has done, what they look(ed) like.

Mohammed is probably up there - but is just knowing the name enough to justify being called "famous"?

Written By: Red Ant on 12/27/08 at 4:19 pm

Osama Bin Laden.

Ant

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/27/08 at 4:20 pm

Osama Bin Laden.

Ant
Infamous more than famous?

Written By: ninny on 12/27/08 at 5:16 pm

^Heresay.   Won't hold up in court

Not if they are direct stories from Simon Peter who was there.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/27/08 at 5:19 pm

St. Paul then?

Written By: philbo on 12/27/08 at 5:56 pm

Not if they are direct stories from Simon Peter who was there.

And what evidence is there to prove that connection?  I've seen it asserted, but where is it actually recorded by anyone who had first-hand knowledge of the people concerned (i.e. not the same sort of "biblical scholar" who decided to make stuff up in order to show the "Truth" of the Bible)?

Written By: joeman on 12/27/08 at 6:31 pm

And what evidence is there to prove that connection?  I've seen it asserted, but where is it actually recorded by anyone who had first-hand knowledge of the people concerned (i.e. not the same sort of "biblical scholar" who decided to make stuff up in order to show the "Truth" of the Bible)?

I believe the NIV version of Bible footnotes that noone knew who wrote most of the New Testament, except for the Gospel of Luke, who was writing it for someone of a higher order(I believe it was a king).  The book of Revelations was rejected by Martin Luther I believe.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/28/08 at 3:35 am

I believe the NIV version of Bible footnotes that noone knew who wrote most of the New Testament, except for the Gospel of Luke, who was writing it for someone of a higher order(I believe it was a king). 

There is a false assumption by many that Jesus and his prophets were poor, or at best, struggling.  But that could not be the case since it is only recently history, say the past 200 years or so, that those of the poorer classes have been allowed to learn to read and write.  If the story of Jesus in the temple is true, then it would mean that Jesus was from a very powerful family, indeed.  For him to do what he did in that story, well, a peasant would not have been allowed to live.

Written By: ninny on 12/28/08 at 7:19 am

Read the following
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/1999-02/919714996.Sh.r.html

If you're doubting the existance of Jesus and his teachings,I have read where the actual history of Buddha is clouded and even his scholars can not agree whenhe lived . Does this mean he did not exist..No

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/28/08 at 7:41 am

Can Adam be more famous?

Written By: danootaandme on 12/28/08 at 9:09 am

Not for want of trying

http://donnaobrien.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/02/adamant.jpg

Written By: philbo on 12/28/08 at 9:39 am

Read the following
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/1999-02/919714996.Sh.r.html

If you're doubting the existance of Jesus and his teachings,I have read where the actual history of Buddha is clouded and even his scholars can not agree whenhe lived . Does this mean he did not exist..No

Please answer the question, rather than changing the subject to a point I wasn't trying to make.  Though even that link you gave shows the problem: Josephus and Tacitus were not writing while Jesus was alive - by the time they were writing, there were followers of Christ who believed yet had never seen their messiah firsthand.. and both Josephus and Tacitus wrote about these people.  That in no way whatsoever provides proof that Jesus was the person they believed him to be, all it does is provide evidence that there were others around at the time who did believe.  Some early Christians obviously believed that Josephus wasn't convincing enough - they added passages to make it look like he believed the myth of Christ the miracle-worker.

To be honest, I don't really care whether there actually was a man called Jesus - the mythology that has built up to surround his birth, life and death could be just as easily attributed to a virtual man as a real one.  The difference between Jesus and people like Buddha or Mohammed is that they wrote (copiously!), and others wrote about them - while they were alive.  All that has been presented about Jesus is hearsay.

Written By: ninny on 12/28/08 at 10:51 am

Please answer the question, rather than changing the subject to a point I wasn't trying to make.  Though even that link you gave shows the problem: Josephus and Tacitus were not writing while Jesus was alive - by the time they were writing, there were followers of Christ who believed yet had never seen their messiah firsthand.. and both Josephus and Tacitus wrote about these people.  That in no way whatsoever provides proof that Jesus was the person they believed him to be, all it does is provide evidence that there were others around at the time who did believe.  Some early Christians obviously believed that Josephus wasn't convincing enough - they added passages to make it look like he believed the myth of Christ the miracle-worker.

To be honest, I don't really care whether there actually was a man called Jesus - the mythology that has built up to surround his birth, life and death could be just as easily attributed to a virtual man as a real one.  The difference between Jesus and people like Buddha or Mohammed is that they wrote (copiously!), and others wrote about them - while they were alive.  All that has been presented about Jesus is hearsay.

If your a Scientologist and don't believe in Jesus that is your prerogative,but how much more proof do you need
Obviously the person of Jesus is mentioned quite thoroughly in the New Testament and other early Christian writings but Jesus is also mentioned by the Jewish historian Josephus. The fact that Josephus, a practicing Jew and a man who was not actively involved Christian circles and not part of the early church mentions the existence of Jesus of Nazareth in his writings definitely gives credence to the argument for the existence of Jesus Christ. In turn, another of the most credible arguments for the existence of Jesus Christ are the writings of the Roman historian Tacitus. Tacitus was a Roman historian who also mentioned the existence of the crucifixion of Jesus in his writings. In turn, the writings of Tacitus are viewed by historians as crucial to not only understanding early Middle Eastern history but also what we know of early Germanic tribes in Europe
Are you saying all those people are wrong?
Simon Peter/Peter is the rock(foundation on which Jesus built his Christianity following. It was his teachings of Jesus that converted people.He is mentioned in Luke,Mark and Matthew.Simon Peters bones were discovered on Mt Olive in Jerusalam,which proved he did exist.The only false thing is that many believed he traveled to Rome and died. Finding his bones proves of his existance and it was his word and other apostle that Luke wrote about.
The two documents most widely attributed to Luke, The Gospel According to Luke and The Acts of the Apostles, are held in high regard by biblical historians and archaeologists for their historical accuracy and trustworthiness.

Archaeologist Sir William Ramsay wrote that "Luke is a historian of the first rank; not merely are his statements of fact trustworthy... should be placed along with the very greatest of historians." Professor of classics at Auckland University, E.M. Blaiklock, concurs: "Luke is a consummate historian, to be ranked in his own right with the great writers of the Greeks."

Dr. Norman L. Geisler observed, "In all, Luke names thirty-two countries, fifty-four cities and nine islands without a error."

Christian apologist Josh MacDowell notes that in specific instances where Luke's texts have been found to disagree with common scholarly knowledge, where archaeology has been able to resolve the difference, the disagreement has consistently been resolved in favor of Luke. Additionally, Luke has brought to light previously unknown details which have later been verified by historians or archaeologists.

In conclusion as I mentioned before,you will believe what you want.Whose to say that the founder of Scientology L Ron Hubbard isn't a madman,there is a fine line between being brillant and being mad.are we to believe because some celebrities follow his teachings,that he really  understands the meaning of truth.Followers of Jim Jones thought the same thing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/28/08 at 11:18 am

Not for want of trying

http://donnaobrien.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/02/adamant.jpg
The Adam I speak of had no surname.

Written By: philbo on 12/28/08 at 11:28 am

If your a Scientologist and don't believe in Jesus that is your prerogative,but how much more proof do you need

What on earth gave you the idea that I'm a scientologist?

Obviously the person of Jesus is mentioned quite thoroughly in the New Testament and other early Christian writings but Jesus is also mentioned by the Jewish historian Josephus. The fact that Josephus, a practicing Jew and a man who was not actively involved Christian circles and not part of the early church mentions the existence of Jesus of Nazareth in his writings definitely gives credence to the argument for the existence of Jesus Christ.

Did you not read what I wrote in my previous post?

Josephus did not write about Christ, he wrote about Christians - that there were people who believed in Christ when Josephus was around is not proof that Christ existed, it merely says there were people around who believed it.

In turn, another of the most credible arguments for the existence of Jesus Christ are the writings of the Roman historian Tacitus. Tacitus was a Roman historian who also mentioned the existence of the crucifixion of Jesus in his writings.

er... what I said above.

How difficult is this to understand: NEITHER TACITUS (born ~56AD) NOR JOSEPHUS (born ~37AD) WROTE ABOUT JESUS WHILE HE WAS ALIVE.  To use them as the main, even the major "proofs" of Jesus' existence is to underline the shakiness of the supporting evidence: neither of them wrote about Christ through first-hand experience.  Tacitus didn't write about Christ at all, IIRC - he wrote about the early Christians in Rome.

Simon Peter/Peter is the rock(foundation on which Jesus built his Christianity following. It was his teachings of Jesus that converted people.He is mentioned in Luke,Mark and Matthew.Simon Peters bones were discovered on Mt Olive in Jerusalam,which proved he did exist.The only false thing is that many believed he traveled to Rome and died. Finding his bones proves of his existance and it was his word and other apostle that Luke wrote about.

Finding bones labelled "Shimon bar Yonah" is not by itself proof that the Simon Peter of the gospels did exist.

It's all very well to copy and paste from wikipedia, but the same thing goes of Luke as the others: he wasn't even born when Jesus was around.

In conclusion as I mentioned before,you will believe what you want.Whose to say that the founder of Scientology L Ron Hubbard isn't a madman,there is a fine line between being brillant and being mad.are we to believe because some celebrities follow his teachings,that he really  understands the meaning of truth.Followers of Jim Jones thought the same thing.

L Ron Hubbard is a litigous crackpot - madman?  Possibly, but a madman with a certain money-making ability.  That some credulous celebs want to follow him doesn't make him any more credible to me - much like 1st century credulous celebrities following this new "Christ" cult...

Written By: ninny on 12/28/08 at 2:01 pm

Did you not read what I wrote in my previous post?

Josephus did not write about Christ, he wrote about Christians - that there were people who believed in Christ when Josephus was around is not proof that Christ existed, it merely says there were people around who believed it.
er... what I said above.

How difficult is this to understand: NEITHER TACITUS (born ~56AD) NOR JOSEPHUS (born ~37AD) WROTE ABOUT JESUS WHILE HE WAS ALIVE.  To use them as the main, even the major "proofs" of Jesus' existence is to underline the shakiness of the supporting evidence: neither of them wrote about Christ through first-hand experience.  Tacitus didn't write about Christ at all, IIRC - he wrote about the early Christians in Rome.

Finding bones labelled "Shimon bar Yonah" is not by itself proof that the Simon Peter of the gospels did exist.

It's all very well to copy and paste from wikipedia, but the same thing goes of Luke as the others: he wasn't even born when Jesus was around.

L Ron Hubbard is a litigous crackpot - madman?  Possibly, but a madman with a certain money-making ability.  That some credulous celebs want to follow him doesn't make him any more credible to me - much like 1st century credulous celebrities following this new "Christ" cult...

If you theory is that know one was there,I believe I've stated several times that Simon Peter was there,how hard is to believe that he passed on the stories to other people and they were writen down in the New Testament
What proof do you have that it wasn't Simon Peters bones.
There are several other sources besides Wikipedia that also state the same thing.
Did everyone that wrote in the New Testament all make up an elaborate story?

It is also important to recognize that in 70 A.D., the Romans invaded and destroyed Jerusalem and most of Israel, slaughtering its inhabitants. Entire cities were literally burned to the ground! We should not be surprised, then, if much evidence of Jesus' existence was destroyed. Many of the eye-witnesses of Jesus would have been killed. These facts likely limited the amount of surviving eyewitness testimony of  Jesus
Is there any historical proof that Moses actual existed,No you just have to take the word of the Old Testament.

Written By: philbo on 12/28/08 at 3:51 pm

If you theory is that know one was there,I believe I've stated several times that Simon Peter was there,how hard is to believe that he passed on the stories to other people and they were writen down in the New Testament

It's not hard to believe that he passed on the stories: what *is* hard to believe is that if such an earth-shatteringly miraculous chap was doing the impossible on a near daily basis that nobody else wrote down anything.

What proof do you have that it wasn't Simon Peters bones.

Probability theory.

Did everyone that wrote in the New Testament all make up an elaborate story?

Not all at once...

It is also important to recognize that in 70 A.D., the Romans invaded and destroyed Jerusalem and most of Israel, slaughtering its inhabitants. Entire cities were literally burned to the ground! We should not be surprised, then, if much evidence of Jesus' existence was destroyed. Many of the eye-witnesses of Jesus would have been killed. These facts likely limited the amount of surviving eyewitness testimony of  Jesus

But there is *NO* first-hand eyewitness testimony.  None at all.  Exactly the same amount as would have survived if he hadn't been there at all.

Is there any historical proof that Moses actual existed,No you just have to take the word of the Old Testament.

And definitely none to prove that he lived to be 900+ years old.. the OT suffers from the same lack of contemporary writings: some of the stories would have been oral tradition for hundreds of years before being committed to paper (or papyrus, anyway).

Look, you want to believe in this - I'm not stopping you.  That's what faith is, after all: belief without evidence.  But most Christians don't realize quite how little evidence there is for the whole NT story, and how much evidence there is that large portions of it were additions over the centuries that followed - pure make-believe.  There are those who take the view that if it has been included in the Bible, it is therefore the word of God and must be true... but I'm not one of those.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/28/08 at 8:07 pm

Yeah, where did that come from?  Plenty of people don't believe in Jesus.

Besides, if ninny googles for "OT VIII", she'll eventually find something dated "5 MAY 1980".  In one of the highest-level bits of Scilon crackpottery ever leaked to the 'net, this text reveals that Hubbard believed in both the Buddha and Christ.  Of course, he believed they were aliens, or at least that their stories were whitewashed by aliens, and he then topped off that fine bit of whackjobbery by accusing Jesus of having the whole Mark Foley kink going on, although he's not nearly as polite in his description of it as I was. 

Absolutely nuts.  Always bugs me when I see Scilons heading to the sites of natural disasters, donning fake collars, calling themselves "ministers", and claiming that their "religion" is perfectly compatible with Christanity.  The rubes don't even know how hard they're being fleeced.

Written By: ninny on 12/29/08 at 6:00 am

It's not hard to believe that he passed on the stories: what *is* hard to believe is that if such an earth-shatteringly miraculous chap was doing the impossible on a near daily basis that nobody else wrote down anything.
Probability theory.
Not all at once...
But there is *NO* first-hand eyewitness testimony.  None at all.  Exactly the same amount as would have survived if he hadn't been there at all.
And definitely none to prove that he lived to be 900+ years old.. the OT suffers from the same lack of contemporary writings: some of the stories would have been oral tradition for hundreds of years before being committed to paper (or papyrus, anyway).

Look, you want to believe in this - I'm not stopping you.  That's what faith is, after all: belief without evidence.  But most Christians don't realize quite how little evidence there is for the whole NT story, and how much evidence there is that large portions of it were additions over the centuries that followed - pure make-believe.  There are those who take the view that if it has been included in the Bible, it is therefore the word of God and must be true... but I'm not one of those.

You make interesting points.But with faith and belief,you would not have any religions.
Is it that you don't believe he existed,or do you think he was more of a mythological creature who took human form?
If there was no Jesus Christ how did we get the word Christians?
So I  guess you will believe what you want,and I will believe what I want.

Written By: philbo on 12/29/08 at 8:52 am

You make interesting points.But with faith and belief,you would not have any religions.

Presumably you mean that without faith & belief you wouldn't have any religions?  And wouldn't the world be a far better place for it?

Is it that you don't believe he existed,or do you think he was more of a mythological creature who took human form?
If there was no Jesus Christ how did we get the word Christians?
So I  guess you will believe what you want,and I wil believe what I want.

I'm not sure whether the man Jesus existed; I am sure that the miracle-worker Christ is post-hoc mythology.  By which I do not mean a mythological creature who took human form, but that the stories about him are just that - stories.

If there was no Jesus Christ, you get the word "Christians" because there are people out there who believe there was a Christ - it doesn't mean their beliefs are in any way true (after all, there are people out there who call themselves Pastafarians after the Flying Spaghetti Monster).  IIRC the word "Christ" wasn't a name, but a designation - if the messiah as prophesied in the OT had been given the name "Kevin", then you'd have Kevin Christ rather than Jesus, and still have Christians.  Messiah itself means "the anointed one" - so he's the guy who's been anointed... it's the Christians who have turned him into the "son of God" figure.

Written By: ninny on 12/29/08 at 9:07 am

Presumably you mean that without faith & belief you wouldn't have any religions?  And wouldn't the world be a far better place for it?
I'm not sure whether the man Jesus existed; I am sure that the miracle-worker Christ is post-hoc mythology.  By which I do not mean a mythological creature who took human form, but that the stories about him are just that - stories.

If there was no Jesus Christ, you get the word "Christians" because there are people out there who believe there was a Christ - it doesn't mean their beliefs are in any way true (after all, there are people out there who call themselves Pastafarians after the Flying Spaghetti Monster).  IIRC the word "Christ" wasn't a name, but a designation - if the messiah as prophesied in the OT had been given the name "Kevin", then you'd have Kevin Christ rather than Jesus, and still have Christians.  Messiah itself means "the anointed one" - so he's the guy who's been anointed... it's the Christians who have turned him into the "son of God" figure.

So you don't believe in any higher power.Do you believe in Heaven or Hell? Or do you think you are born, live your life then die and nothing happens to your spirit.

Written By: philbo on 12/29/08 at 10:29 am

So you don't believe in any higher power.Do you believe in Heaven or Hell? Or do you think you are born, live your life then die and nothing happens to your spirit.

Correct.  No.  For me to answer the last one, you'd have to define "spirit"... but I believe that once you're dead, you're dead.

Written By: ninny on 12/29/08 at 10:35 am

Correct.  No.  For me to answer the last one, you'd have to define "spirit"... but I believe that once you're dead, you're dead.

The spirit is that which believes it will end up with God,unlike soul which also believes in God,but is used more in the world we live in.

Written By: philbo on 12/29/08 at 10:38 am

A hypothetical question for you: what is the difference between something which cannot be seen or measured in any way... and something that doesn't exist?

Written By: ninny on 12/29/08 at 1:57 pm

A hypothetical question for you: what is the difference between something which cannot be seen or measured in any way... and something that doesn't exist?

If you are refering to God
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear" (Hebrews 11:3).
"Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him" (Colossians 1:15-16).

God created the earths and then the process of evolution was evolved. Are they all true or like The Big Bang Theory just theories with evidence to support all sides. know one will ever answer that question---unless there really is a judgement day.

Written By: philbo on 12/29/08 at 2:27 pm

I was thinking about the spirit, or soul.. but the same thing holds true for God.  An intangible that can't be seen, heard or measured with any instrument we have: I prefer the Occam's Razor implication...

Written By: ninny on 12/29/08 at 2:40 pm

I was thinking about the spirit, or soul.. but the same thing holds true for God.  An intangible that can't be seen, heard or measured with any instrument we have: I prefer the Occam's Razor implication...

I really don't know anything about that. My son said it has to due with simplicity of things,but did not elaborate.

Written By: philbo on 12/29/08 at 2:52 pm

Occam's razor simply states that for any two explanations of a given scenario, the one which needs the fewest assumptions is usually the right one.  It's not an absolute: there are plenty of occasions where it goes wrong, but it's a fairly good rule of thumb.

In this context, if you're looking for something that can't be detected, the explanation that requires fewest assumptions will be that it isn't actually there at all.

Written By: ninny on 12/29/08 at 3:06 pm

Occam's razor simply states that for any two explanations of a given scenario, the one which needs the fewest assumptions is usually the right one.  It's not an absolute: there are plenty of occasions where it goes wrong, but it's a fairly good rule of thumb.

In this context, if you're looking for something that can't be detected, the explanation that requires fewest assumptions will be that it isn't actually there at all.

I find it interesting you use the word assumption,because allI can picture is an old boss of mine writing the word ass/u/me,tell us not to assume because it makes an ass out of u and me.
There maybe things that cannot be explained away.

Written By: philbo on 12/29/08 at 3:34 pm

That's pretty much what Occam's razor means: that you should keep your assumption to the minimum.  However, when thinking about things like the big bang or creation, we have no option but to start with some assumptions.

Written By: ninny on 12/29/08 at 3:45 pm

That's pretty much what Occam's razor means: that you should keep your assumption to the minimum.  However, when thinking about things like the big bang or creation, we have no option but to start with some assumptions.

This is true,but by the same token what is the harm of assuming that Jesus did exist. Could one not assume that the New Testament had some factual stories in them?

Written By: philbo on 12/30/08 at 5:18 am

This is true,but by the same token what is the harm of assuming that Jesus did exist. Could one not assume that the New Testament had some factual stories in them?

The problem is that people aren't brought up to realize that they're making assumptions: it is drilled into them from an early age that what they're being told is True (with a capital T).  And that is the case for a lot of different, mutually incompatible truths.

It is also the case that those religions that are most forceful in the way they instil these beliefs in their flocks are the ones most likely to survive - there have been a lot of religions over the years, most of them have fallen by the wayside as belief dwindles.  This doesn't say anything about the truth of their core beliefs, anything like as much as it does the way they treat their believers, especially as children.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/30/08 at 11:53 am

Kurt Cobain

Written By: 80sfan on 12/30/08 at 12:41 pm

Kurt Cobain

I was the one that started this thread and I want to say Good one!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/biggringift.gif People shouldn't take this thread so seriously.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/30/08 at 12:43 pm

John Lennon.

I don't agree with John Lennon because I think Jesus was and is still bigger. Don't mind my opinion!  :D

Written By: danootaandme on 12/31/08 at 6:32 am

I don't agree with John Lennon because I think Jesus was and is still bigger. Don't mind my opinion!  :D

And...as I keep saying, he never said they were bigger, he said they were more popular.  After he said it there were burn the Beatle album rallies outside of their concerts.  The rallies never attracted even 1% of the crowd paying to see the Beatles, so he may well have had a point.  His words did spawn a renewed interest in religion among younger people who had never thought about it.

Written By: Erika on 07/19/11 at 11:13 pm

MICHAEL JACKSON! duhh

Written By: whistledog on 07/19/11 at 11:36 pm

MICHAEL JACKSON! duhh

Your mom

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/11 at 12:38 am

Jesus's mom

Written By: 80sfan on 07/20/11 at 12:41 am

Jesus's mom

;D

Written By: 80sfan on 07/20/11 at 1:10 am

Your mom

;D

Written By: 80sfan on 07/20/11 at 1:10 am

MICHAEL JACKSON! duhh

I agree 100%.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/11 at 1:18 am

Rupert Murdoch's mom

Written By: 80sfan on 07/20/11 at 2:50 am

Rupert Murdoch's mom

;D

Written By: Howard on 07/20/11 at 6:40 am

Your mom

well my mother does have her own website.

Written By: Howard on 07/20/11 at 6:41 am

I agree 100%.

not ever.

Written By: philbo on 07/20/11 at 12:01 pm

Your mom

'fraid not :)

Written By: Howard on 07/20/11 at 7:15 pm

God is the most famous person ever.

Written By: wildcard on 07/20/11 at 8:00 pm

The devil

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/11 at 8:50 pm

God

The devil

and Bob

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/11 at 9:31 pm

Aunt Jemima

http://hubbub.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341d8d9253ef01053649c195970c-800wi

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/11 at 9:46 pm

Aunt Jemima

Uncle Ben

http://mydeology.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/uncleben.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/11 at 10:31 pm

Mrs. Butterworth

http://www.coupondad.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Mrs_Butterworths.jpg

Written By: danootaandme on 07/21/11 at 4:16 am

Ronald McDonald

http://scm-l3.technorati.com/11/05/19/34617/Ronald-McDonald-6.gif?t=20110519091341

Written By: philbo on 07/21/11 at 4:48 am

Ronald McDonald

You might have something there...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/11 at 5:39 am

http://www.disneylandpostcards.com/images/Mickey-Mouse.png

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/11 at 5:58 am

God is the most famous person ever.

In the Blessed Trinity the Gohead is three persons --
Athanasian Creed: "the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, and yet there are not three Gods but one God."

It also works for experimental conceptual rock albums:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Cdm537VENhE/TJQv665DmVI/AAAAAAAAAlw/eaIJJrY1xIQ/s1600/o676163.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/21/11 at 6:52 am

and Bob

and Me.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/11 at 6:54 am

http://blog.veryfinebooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/hulk-hogan.jpg

Hulk Hogan,"Brother!"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/11 at 11:41 am

Pee Wee Herman.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 07/21/11 at 12:37 pm

Pee Wee Herman.

Cat

Especially in the early 90s for a some strange incident!  ::) ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 07/21/11 at 12:38 pm

Minnie me
Barney
Tinky Winky
Elmo

Written By: Howard on 07/21/11 at 12:56 pm

Ron Jeremy

Written By: 80sfan on 07/21/11 at 1:26 pm

Ron Jeremy

Is he the pornstar? The King of Porn? Well, he is pretty famous.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/11 at 8:55 pm

But not famously pretty.
:-\\

Written By: whistledog on 07/21/11 at 9:23 pm

The most famous of them all are two famous people you probably see atleast once a day ...

http://www.metapedia.com/wiki/images/Restroom-man-woman.jpg

:D

Written By: 80sfan on 07/21/11 at 9:53 pm

But not famously pretty.
:-\\

LOL.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/21/11 at 10:03 pm

The most famous of them all are two famous people you probably see atleast once a day ...

Karma.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 07/21/11 at 10:04 pm

What should we name them?

Written By: wildcard on 07/21/11 at 11:41 pm

he he good one whistledog

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/11 at 12:56 am

http://www.seeklogo.com/images/E/Einst__rzende_Neubauten-logo-908A2F9249-seeklogo.com.gif

Written By: Howard on 07/22/11 at 6:38 am

The king of oral sex.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/11 at 6:39 am

every day on bathroom doors.  ::)

Written By: Stig on 07/22/11 at 12:30 pm

The king of oral sex.

I thought that King was scumbag lowlife pervert Bill Clinton in office?

Written By: 80sfan on 07/22/11 at 6:45 pm

Oh boy do I remember the whole scandal in '98. It was everywhere on the news for a while!  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 07/22/11 at 7:19 pm

http://philosophy-quotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/marilyn-monroe.jpg

Marilyn Monroe

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/11 at 10:38 pm

http://philosophy-quotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/marilyn-monroe.jpg

Marilyn Monroe

Now we're talking!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumleft.gif

http://wedding-hair.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/marilyn-monroe-prom-dresses-7.jpg

stig backwards is gits

Written By: whistledog on 07/22/11 at 11:04 pm

CHUCKY G

Written By: 80sfan on 07/22/11 at 11:13 pm

http://topnews.in/light/files/John-Lennon_5.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 07/22/11 at 11:14 pm

Now we're talking!

http://wedding-hair.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/marilyn-monroe-prom-dresses-7.jpg
stig backwards is gits

That girl looks like Anna Nicole!  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/23/11 at 5:31 am

Her mother!

Written By: Howard on 07/23/11 at 8:02 am

He's not as famous as he was 13 years ago. ::)

Written By: Howard on 07/23/11 at 8:03 am

Now we're talking!

stig backwards is gits

She did pose nude at one time.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/11 at 8:03 am

CHUCKY G

famous person this messageboard.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/11 at 8:04 am

maybe a little bit.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/11 at 6:52 pm

Watch it, suckah!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/nono.gif

http://www.ferris.edu/jimcrow/sapphire/esther.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/26/11 at 7:32 pm

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Family_Guy_Death.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 07/26/11 at 8:58 pm

Watch it, suckah!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/nono.gif

http://www.ferris.edu/jimcrow/sapphire/esther.jpg

I like Marilyn and the only thing Marilyn and Anna had in common was blonde hair. Other than that Anna was a bit on the silly side, while Marilyn had a complicated personality and had 100 times more charisma than Anna!

Written By: 80sfan on 07/26/11 at 8:58 pm

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Family_Guy_Death.jpg

Whoa....dark!  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 07/26/11 at 9:12 pm

http://maxcdn.fooyoh.com/files/attach/images/591/133/286/004/satan.jpg

Well, why haven't I thought of this yet. Duh? Satan's pretty famous! Or should I say infamous!  >:(  :D

Written By: wildcard on 07/26/11 at 9:58 pm

The devil

I wouldn't let you think of it  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/cooldevil.gif

Written By: 80sfan on 07/26/11 at 10:09 pm

I wouldn't let you think of it  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/cooldevil.gif

Someone already thought of it? Well, the thread is too long, Lol.  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/11 at 10:29 pm

G. Buddha

http://www.allfamousquotes.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/buddha.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/27/11 at 6:24 am

Whoa....dark!  :o

He's pretty famous on Family Guy.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/11 at 6:25 am

http://maxcdn.fooyoh.com/files/attach/images/591/133/286/004/satan.jpg

Well, why haven't I thought of this yet. Duh? Satan's pretty famous! Or should I say infamous!  >:(  :D

only when you meet him in Hell.

Written By: wildcard on 07/27/11 at 8:59 pm

And that's when you cant get the can open

Written By: Howard on 07/28/11 at 6:46 am

http://www.topnews.in/files/dalai_lama.jpg

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/28/11 at 7:09 pm

I don't know how many people would be able to recognize the Dalai Lama by sight...  Quite a few would, yes.

Written By: wildcard on 07/28/11 at 10:05 pm

the first thing that came to my mind was Gandhi

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/29/11 at 1:30 am

I agree with you there.

Written By: philbo on 07/29/11 at 2:52 am

I don't know how many people would be able to recognize the Dalai Lama by sight...  Quite a few would, yes.

Thinking about it.. how many people would be able to recognize Jesus by sight?

Written By: Howard on 07/29/11 at 6:27 am

I think I might.

Written By: ninny on 07/29/11 at 8:21 am

Thinking about it.. how many people would be able to recognize Jesus by sight?

I would hope a lot.  You know "hey you look like that guy on my wall,oh my God it's Jesus" that type of thing.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/29/11 at 9:23 am

I would say probably George Washington.

Written By: philbo on 07/29/11 at 10:06 am

I would hope a lot.  You know "hey you look like that guy on my wall,oh my God it's Jesus" that type of thing.

What on earth makes you think the guy on the wall looks anything like Jesus?  (on the assumption there ever was such a chap - see earlier on in this thread)

..it's not like there's many photos around

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/29/11 at 1:38 pm

I did see him in a car in central London, passing traffic with a police escort, and I recognized him.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/11 at 7:32 pm

Obama.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/29/11 at 8:16 pm

I would hope a lot.  You know "hey you look like that guy on my wall,oh my God it's Jesus" that type of thing.

Pretty much word-for-word. 

PIK3GXdkxL0

I'm sorry.
/no I'm not

Written By: 80sfan on 07/29/11 at 10:33 pm

Pretty much word-for-word. 

PIK3GXdkxL0

I'm sorry.
/no I'm not

God, Peter is sooo fat, but sooo funny!

Written By: King Tut on 08/03/11 at 11:03 pm

http://vjmorton.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/ali-greatest.jpg

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. Muhammad Ali

Written By: Howard on 08/04/11 at 6:46 am

http://vjmorton.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/ali-greatest.jpg

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. Muhammad Ali

not exactly THE greatest.

Written By: ninny on 08/04/11 at 7:47 am

What on earth makes you think the guy on the wall looks anything like Jesus?  (on the assumption there ever was such a chap - see earlier on in this thread)

..it's not like there's many photos around

I'm pretty sure that his image has changed through the centuries and in some countries his color is different also. That doesn't mean that through all the research they done, that they didn't come as close as they could to what he actually looked like.
And yes I have faith that he existed, just like others who have faith in the existence of the reincarnation of Buddha.

Check for new replies or respond here...