inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2009 Predictions

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/08 at 4:31 pm

Yup folks, it is that time again to make your predictions for the new year.

-As always, I have to start off with say that the Mets are going to win the World Series.  :D :D ;D ;D ;D  Maybe ONE of these years I will get that one right.  ;)

-The economy will get worse but it will start getting better before the end of the year (but won't be healthy for a few more years).

-The Inauguration on Jan. 20th will set records for attendance.

-Tension between Pakistan & India will increase.

-Kim Jong-il of North Korea will die.

-Fidel Castro will die.

-Indictments for George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Alberto Gonzales, Donald Rumsfeld, Karl Rove, and many more will be issued.

That's good for starters. Who's next?

Cat

Subject: Re: 2009 Predictions

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/27/08 at 4:36 pm

I agree about the economy. :) It'll either get better or be another Great Depression (let's hope not though!).

In music, I think there'll be more pop/dance influenced stuff like Lady Gaga that has an '80s influence. Hip hop will probably keep going in this direction too.

Written By: joeman on 12/27/08 at 5:00 pm

-Indictments for George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Alberto Gonzales, Donald Rumsfeld, Karl Rove, and many more will be issued.

I would personally love to see this.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/27/08 at 5:09 pm

Yup folks, it is that time again to make your predictions for the new year.

-As always, I have to start off with say that the Mets are going to win the World Series.  :D :D ;D ;D ;D  Maybe ONE of these years I will get that one right.  ;)

-The economy will get worse but it will start getting better before the end of the year (but won't be healthy for a few more years).

-The Inauguration on Jan. 20th will set records for attendance.

-Tension between Pakistan & India will increase.

-Kim Jong-il of North Korea will die.

-Fidel Castro will die.

Cat

1-Not only the Mets will be there, but the Indians (They made a great deal with a closer). And the Cavaliers will win, and the Browns will be in the AFC North Basement!

2-The Economy will rebound gracefully.

3-Can't argue with that one!

4- :-\\

5-Possible

6-More likely, and Cuba may become more Democratic.

7-I only wish for Cheney, Gonzales, and Karl Rove to be guilty! Look at Warren G. Harding, many people in his cabinet SHOULD'VE been sent to Alcatraz. (And Bush SHOULD be responsible for a few things as well....)

Here's a few more....

8-Gas will be Under $2.00

9-Someone on SNL will get accused of lip-syncing.

10-Digital TV Converters will be the #1 subscriber...hopefully.

Sorry Cat, but I may seem more realistic.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/27/08 at 6:22 pm

- I also think the inauguration on Jan. 20th will have record attendance

- I also think the economy will continue to get worse before it gets better, maybe in 2010 or 11.

- Avatar, a James Cameron sci-fi blockbuster, will be the #1 top grossing film. Other big movies will be Terminator Salvation, Transformers II, G.I. Joe, and Harry Potter and the Half-Blooded Prince

- "The Cleveland Show", a spin off show of "Family Guy" will premier in the fall and will have moderate ratings, but no where near Family Guy.

- Alternative/indie rock will continue to rise in popularity and on the charts, and gangsta rap will also have a revival. Dr. Dre's much delayed Detox album will finally be released, after 50 Cent and Eminem's new albums.

- Flannel shirts and the grunge look will come back in style, which it's already starting to.

Written By: tv on 12/27/08 at 7:35 pm

-

- Alternative/indie rock will continue to rise in popularity and on the charts, and gangsta rap will also have a revival. Dr. Dre's much delayed Detox album will finally be released, after 50 Cent and Eminem's new albums.

- Flannel shirts and the grunge look will come back in style, which it's already starting to.
I haven't heard people talking about Rock music like this since late 1995 or 1996 when I was in High School I think.

Yes I hope good sounding rap music returns to the charts.

About the economy...won;t bounce back till 2013 but it will bottom out in 2012 and start to bottom out in 2011.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/27/08 at 7:39 pm

Here's some that hit home.

I will STILL be single.

I will STILL be living with my parents.

I lead a real sad life for someone in their 20's.  :\'(

Written By: Xavier Renegade Angel on 12/28/08 at 10:46 am

It's hard to say, but I can only imagine that if Obama did fix the economy, it wouldn't be done quickly. Here are my thoughts -

- Obama will raise taxes for the wealthy and create jobs in the public sector, but will probably avoid the private sector (which isn't a smart idea)
- Al Qaeda and other terrorist groups will BEGIN to lose ground after Obama takes office, since so much American hate was mostly directed toward the Bush Admin. (I don't care what any propaganda, fear inducing book says, America is unlikely to be attacked by a nuclear or biological weapon from an underdeveloped nation that is more focused on India than anything else)
- The War on Terror, while unlikely this soon, MAY end in a similar fashion to how the Cold War ended in '89 (I always viewed the War in Iraq like a combination of the Cold War and Vietnam)
- People's pessimism will probably get worse in the beginning but as the new Admin. takes action and succeeds (I hope), people will become more optimistic
- The economy will hit rock bottom by mid '09 and then slowly get better
- We're NOT in a depression, this is NOTHING like the 30's. Trust me, every elderly person I've spoke to has told me this. It's just a severe recession.
- Musically, things can't get much more stale, so either some movement occurs or people will get so sick of popular music that they'll just start doing their own thing
- Hopefully American Idol stops dominating the ratings and some good TV comes back. I always thought the '-9' year is always the start of what's gonna be big the next decade, such as Seinfeld and the Simpsons in '89 and Family Guy and many of those damn reality shows (like Survivor) in '99.
- The Wii will get so boring that it'll go out of style (I can count the number of good games it has on both hands), and the 360 will get even better. The $400 door stop known as the PS3 will remain the undisputed loser of the 7th generation consoles
- College costs will continue to rise until Obama does something about it, but since so many other things have to be done first, they'll probably keep rising until the financial robbers at RIT have robbed me of everything I own
- '09 will be the last year that romantic comedies will be in, and hopefully will be the year that horror movies return to actually being scary (it's unlikely, but I mean look at how bad Saw V was, these people have to learn sometime)

Written By: ADH13 on 12/28/08 at 2:05 pm

1. Casey Anthony will be found guilty and sentenced to life without parole, but not without a trial that lasts 2+ years with appeal after appeal...

2. The automakers will end up filing for bankruptcy anyway.

3. Many people who have too high of hopes for Obama will be sorely disappointed that everything doesn't get fixed overnight

4. Far less people will have landline phones, and will just use their cell phones

And my wishful thinking for 2009:

1. Reality shows will finally lose their grip on society

2. That ugly, sloppy looking fur on jacket hoods will go out of style

3. Al Qaeda and other terrorist groups will go away

Written By: woops on 12/29/08 at 12:00 am

Looney Tunes back on regular rotation on tv
Duffy wins Grammy
Disney XD will flop since not many people carry the channel (hence that it used to be Toon Disney)
VH1 Classics might cut down on more videos  (guessing the 2009 videos for 2009 is the beginning of the end)  ::)

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 12/29/08 at 4:27 pm

1.casey anothny will be found gulty and also life w/o parole and also told the truth for once

2.obama's inagageration*sp will set an new attendence record

3.chicago will be picked for 2016 summer olympics

4.CBS will get both summer and winter olympic rights

5.wm 25 will go down the all-time wrestlemania ever since wm XVII

6.giants/titans super bowl

7.MLB tv rights goes back to NBC and share rights with ABC and switch back and forth on covering the world series!

Written By: Hoagies With Myles on 12/29/08 at 7:45 pm

10 random predictions:

1. The Yankees will beat the Mets in the World Series in 5 games.

2. Manchester United will edge out Chelsea to win the English Premier League.

3. Osama Bin Laden will be caught or killed.

4. At least one of big 3 U.S. automakers will go under along with a major US retail outlet.

5. Watchmen will disappoint at the box office.

6. Sony will be forced to cut the price of Playstation 3.

7. Caroline Kennedy will be appointed to the vacant NY senate seat.

8. Obama will invest heavily in alternative energy.

9. John Carpenter's Riot will mark a return to form for the director but not Nicolas Cage.

10. Sean Penn will win best actor for 'Milk' and will say something controversial regarding prop 8 in his acceptance speech.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/30/08 at 11:51 am

1. Blue Jays will not win the World Series, again.

2. Osama Bin Ladden, still avoids capture, but he will die by 2011.

3.  The big 3 will continue to have problems, well until late 2009.

4. A lawsuit against Warner Bros, will see Watchmen released fall of 2009, at the latest.

5.  Playstation 3 will be sold on shelves for $299.98

6.  Caroline Kennedy will be replacing Hillary Clinton, as New York senator.

7.  An attempt to kill Obama, will be made, but it will be foiled.

8.  Grunge and alternative music, will make a comeback, with Sondgarden reforming for atleast one concert.

9.  The fighting between Isarel and Palestine, will increase ever more so.

10. Sarah Palin announces a bid for 2010 Presidential election.

11.  Stephen Harper will end his term as Prime Minister.

12.  Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez, divorce after allegations of Anthony cheating on Lopez, with another actress, come out.

13.  Casey Anthony will be found guilty.

14.  A huge sport scandal breaks out, involving baseball, and possible steroid use.

15.  Chicago gets the bid for 2016 Olympics.

16.  The inauguration on Jan. 20th will have record attendance.

17.  Tension between Pakistan & India will increase.

18.  Kim Jong-il will die by 2010.

and

19.  Fidel Castro will pass away.

Written By: Paul on 12/30/08 at 11:54 am

The English Grand National and English Derby will both be won by horses...

Written By: joeman on 12/30/08 at 1:56 pm

Funny thing about alternative rock coming back was that STP reformed earlier this year at had touring dates.  Unfortunately I miss their show but heard it was cancelled due to Scott Weiland being a drunk and no-show.  I heard noone didn't their money back and there was no second show.  :(

Written By: Brian06 on 12/31/08 at 7:15 pm

Economy hopefully starts improving. Continued rise of rhythmic dance pop, electro influence in hip-hop increases, continued auto tune overexposure. Fashion will probably get even more 80s influenced. Windows 7 will probably be released. Iraq pullout begins, but things get worse in Afghanistan.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/31/08 at 9:17 pm

I predict that in Superbowl XLIII it's going to by the NY Giants vs. Tennessee

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/09 at 2:02 pm

Time to bump this up and see how well you did with your predictions from a year ago.

-As always, I have to start off with say that the Mets are going to win the World Series.  :D :D ;D ;D ;D  Maybe ONE of these years I will get that one right.  ;)  WRONG (As usual)

-The economy will get worse but it will start getting better before the end of the year (but won't be healthy for a few more years). I say that I got this one right.

-The Inauguration on Jan. 20th will set records for attendance. Right.

-Tension between Pakistan & India will increase. If I changed Pakistan for Afghanistan, I might have something there.

-Kim Jong-il of North Korea will die. Wrong (too bad)

-Fidel Castro will die. Wrong.

-Indictments for George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Alberto Gonzales, Donald Rumsfeld, Karl Rove, and many more will be issued. Wrong (too bad but I'm still hoping).

Cat

I didn't do well with my predictions.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/23/09 at 2:26 pm

Time to bump this up and see how well you did with your predictions from a year ago.

I didn't do well with my predictions.  :-\\

Cat

You got the Obama one right. But I'll let Bush get the same judgement that Oral Roberts got...it won't be good!

And I was right about being single and living with my parents...again. :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/09 at 3:12 pm

You got the Obama one right. But I'll let Bush get the same judgement that Oral Roberts got...it won't be good!

No, that wouldn't be good. I want to see him in an orange jumpsuit, behind bars.

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/24/09 at 9:56 am

No, that wouldn't be good. I want to see him in an orange jumpsuit, behind bars.

Cat

That will happen when I get a car...sorry. :(

But your opinion about Bush is the same as my boss...he wants Bush imprisoned too.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/18/10 at 6:44 am

- I also think the inauguration on Jan. 20th will have record attendance

- I also think the economy will continue to get worse before it gets better, maybe in 2010 or 11.

- Avatar, a James Cameron sci-fi blockbuster, will be the #1 top grossing film. Other big movies will be Terminator Salvation, Transformers II, G.I. Joe, and Harry Potter and the Half-Blooded Prince

- "The Cleveland Show", a spin off show of "Family Guy" will premier in the fall and will have moderate ratings, but no where near Family Guy.

Well, I called it right with Avatar.

Check for new replies or respond here...