inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Goodbye... VHS.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/30/08 at 12:07 pm

We are here to remember a dear departed frriend, the VHS tape. For those, who were not around, when the VHS tape, it was kind of like what DVD is now, except in video tape format.

I remember, my first exposure to VHS, it was Star Wars, and to this day, it is one of my favorite films of all time.

My family, first got a VCR, in 1984, and one of the first films, I saw on it was a Bugs Bunny movie.

My very first video tape, that I purchased was E.T., which is still in a box, along with other video tapes.

A few years ago, the VHS era winded down, with the very last VHS tape, made. Now, the last shipment of VHS tapes, has been made from Flordia, destination..... unknown.

A sad way, to end a format that survived atleast four decades, and many competiors.

The VHS tape was survived by it's family, Betamax, Laserdisk, Super VHS, DVD, HD DVD, and Blu Ray.

Many have suggested that in the next few years, DVD will head down the same path.

Goodbye, VHS, you are going to a far better place, and will be reunited with your friends, 8 Track, Cassette, Vinyl Album, and eventually, the CD.

Gone..... but not forgetten.

1976-2006

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-vhs-tapes22-2008dec22,0,5852342.story

Subject: Re: Goodbye... VHS.

Written By: Tia on 12/30/08 at 12:18 pm

i totally still use VHS tapes all the time!

Written By: 80sfan on 12/30/08 at 12:25 pm

I mostly watch things on DVD, but the VHS tapes are still very important to me. I wish that people would keep them around.  :)

There's a simplicity about the VHS that I love!

The DVD has been around since 1996 in Japan or something and 1997 in the US, but didn't gain notoriety until like 1999 or 2000.

Written By: Tia on 12/30/08 at 12:30 pm

i like how on vhs if you turn it off in the middle of a movie, you don't lose your place. also, dvds seem to get messed up a lot more often. VHS is really rugged, they last longer.

Written By: joeman on 12/30/08 at 1:48 pm

You would surprised how many movies that are in VHS didn't make it to DVD yet.  If you hit up a local pawn shop, mostly likely they will be selling VHS tapes for a dollar. 

Written By: snozberries on 12/30/08 at 6:01 pm

You would surprised how many movies that are in VHS didn't make it to DVD yet.  If you hit up a local pawn shop, mostly likely they will be selling VHS tapes for a dollar. 

and this is why I will not be getting rid of my VHS until all the movies I own are available on DVD.

Written By: Tia on 12/30/08 at 6:44 pm

i think vhs will become like cassette tapes. you don't use em nearly as much as you used to but you can still pick up blank audiocassettes really easy, and for certain applications it still ends up being what you want. VHS offers much of the same benefit as audiocassettes (it's actually better, because it's more durable) and CDs present certain aggravations that audiocassettes don't.

also, notice how we're not rid of vinyl? there's still a market for that stuff, albeit small. VHS will have its proponents, and i dont think it'll ever truly go away. although yes, i don't think there will be a lot of factory-released VHS movies anymore. big whoop.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/30/08 at 8:20 pm

About 10 years ago I was at a Radio Shack and there on the display was this old 8-track player.  I picked it up, blew the dust off of it, and decided to buy it as a present for my brother, who has an impressive collection of 8-tracks.

I take it to the checkout counter and the guy says "you still play 8-tracks?".  I tell him "Nah, I'm buying this for my brother."

He sighed and then looked at me like he KNEW I was lying!  ;D

When my bro opened up his present, he went to the shelf and pulled out the all-time classic 8-track, "In A Gadda Da Vida".  8)

Written By: woops on 12/30/08 at 8:41 pm

I collect video tapes. Mostly stuff that isn't yet or never will be released on DVD.

Written By: joeman on 12/30/08 at 9:09 pm

i think vhs will become like cassette tapes. you don't use em nearly as much as you used to but you can still pick up blank audiocassettes really easy, and for certain applications it still ends up being what you want. VHS offers much of the same benefit as audiocassettes (it's actually better, because it's more durable) and CDs present certain aggravations that audiocassettes don't.

also, notice how we're not rid of vinyl? there's still a market for that stuff, albeit small. VHS will have its proponents, and i dont think it'll ever truly go away. although yes, i don't think there will be a lot of factory-released VHS movies anymore. big whoop.

That is because Vinyl records produce a more natural sound and a wider spectrum of notes.  The bass is much more rich.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/30/08 at 9:32 pm

Growing up we didn't have a VHS until it was unavoidable.  My parents bought a Beta, so we couldn't borrow any movies. :\'(  I now use DVD, because I watch stuff on the computer.

Written By: Hoagies With Myles on 12/30/08 at 9:38 pm

I still have great memories of going to the local West Coast Video and the local drug stores to rent obscure horror movies and B action movies on VHS. It will always have a special place in my heart.

With that said, DVD is far superior to VHS. Having movies in widescreen and with digital picture makes them so much more fun to watch.

Written By: Tia on 12/31/08 at 6:33 am

I still have great memories of going to the local West Coast Video and the local drug stores to rent obscure horror movies and B action movies on VHS. It will always have a special place in my heart.

With that said, DVD is far superior to VHS. Having movies in widescreen and with digital picture makes them so much more fun to watch.
oh, yeah, don't get me wrong, DVD is kickass and i just got a blu-ray, i'm looking forward to getting by first blu-ray movies from netflix tonight. but i've got tons of VHS tapes, as they've said above a bunch of em are non-commercially available stuff, taped tv shows etc., and they aren't going anywhere.  8)

Written By: whistledog on 01/01/09 at 7:28 pm

Apart from Music Video collections, the only VHS movie I own is 'Streets of Fire' and I will never rid myself of that

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/02/09 at 10:43 pm

I still have my VHS collection and still enjoy going to thrift stores to look for those rare treasures.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/03/09 at 1:17 am

I have spent the past few months transferring all my VHS stuff over to DVD - still have about 200 tapes to go. Then I can start on my 500 Beta tapes !

Will be glad to get rid of them all and the 2 VHS players and 1 Beta player. They are all taking up far too much room in my apartment!

I have to say - when comparing my 10 to 18 year old VHS tapes with my 20 to 30 year old Beta tapes - the beta have retained playability and quality far far better than the VHS tapes. And my beta player is my original from 1984 and has been serviced twice in that time and still plays like a dream. Kinda like a 30 year old car - built for quality and durability - rather than todays cars that fold up like paper when they bumb a street sign.

Written By: Davester on 01/03/09 at 1:22 am

I have spent the past few months transferring all my VHS stuff over to DVD - still have about 200 tapes to go. Then I can start on my 500 Beta tapes !

Will be glad to get rid of them all and the 2 VHS players and 1 Beta player. They are all taking up far too much room in my apartment!

I have to say - when comparing my 10 to 18 year old VHS tapes with my 20 to 30 year old Beta tapes - the beta have retained playability and quality far far better than the VHS tapes. And my beta player is my original from 1984 and has been serviced twice in that time and still plays like a dream. Kinda like a 30 year old car - built for quality and durability - rather than todays cars that fold up like paper when they bumb a street sign.

There really oughta be a medal for keepin' it old school... 8)

Written By: Marian on 01/03/09 at 1:56 pm

I mostly watch things on DVD, but the VHS tapes are still very important to me. I wish that people would keep them around.  :)

There's a simplicity about the VHS that I love!

The DVD has been around since 1996 in Japan or something and 1997 in the US, but didn't gain notoriety until like 1999 or 2000.

you cant get viruses from them.

Written By: snozberries on 01/04/09 at 12:19 pm

Apart from Music Video collections, the only VHS movie I own is 'Streets of Fire' and I will never rid myself of that

I have it on HD DVD!  I love it!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/06/09 at 2:03 pm

I have SO many VHS tapes. I asked for a 4 head VCR in 1996 from my Dad and I got it! I was so happy! I started taping stuff like crazy. Things like documentaries on the History Channel, Biographies on A & E, specials on PBS. Just whatever I could get my hands on that was classic and vintage. We also have home movies on VHS for when my parents had a short lived camcorder in 1980-1981. It's very freaky to think those tapes are almost 30 years old! I definetly need to transfer those to DVD before they totally wear out.

How can one transfer VHS to their PC, and then record onto DVD? I've tried, but have not been successful.

Written By: Tia on 01/06/09 at 2:07 pm

I have SO many VHS tapes. I asked for a 4 head VCR in 1996 from my Dad and I got it! I was so happy! I started taping stuff like crazy. Things like documentaries on the History Channel, Biographies on A & E, specials on PBS. Just whatever I could get my hands on that was classic and vintage. We also have home movies on VHS for when my parents had a short lived camcorder in 1980-1981. It's very freaky to think those tapes are almost 30 years old! I definetly need to transfer those to DVD before they totally wear out.

How can one transfer VHS to their PC, and then record onto DVD? I've tried, but have not been successful.
i use a dvd recorder, and then use software called imTOO (? for some reason?) that transforms the dvds to wmv files.

you should put that stuff on youtube. i subscribe to a couple VHS collectors who put all this great old 70s and 80s stuff they taped on youtube.

Written By: ralfy on 07/21/16 at 6:51 pm

"Japan to make its last ever VCR"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/07/21/japan-to-make-its-last-ever-vcr/

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/16 at 7:29 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/07/21/japan-to-make-its-last-ever-vcr/

Japan still made VCRs up to this day? Wow, I'm really jealous. Considering of how I never got to use another VCR since early 2009.  >:(

Written By: Howard on 07/22/16 at 7:32 am

Now it will be considered an old relic.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/23/16 at 7:32 pm

Japan still made VCRs up to this day? Wow, I'm really jealous. Considering of how I never got to use another VCR since early 2009.  >:(

Japan makes VCRs for North America. If you go into a store, they still have VCRs sold on the shelves (made from Japan) so you can still buy them in North America. So Japan stopping the production of VCRs is a very big deal for the world, there will be no more new VCRs up for sale. Anyone who will want to buy a VCR willhave to get it from a garage sale lol. RIP VHS.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/23/16 at 8:29 pm

Japan makes VCRs for North America. If you go into a store, they still have VCRs sold on the shelves (made from Japan) so you can still buy them in North America. So Japan stopping the production of VCRs is a very big deal for the world, there will be no more new VCRs up for sale. Anyone who will want to buy a VCR will have to get it from a garage sale lol. RIP VHS.

I never really knew that. I thought people would just go buy used VCRs from the 80s to mid 2000s at the latest. Although, finding a VCR from the late 2000s is really rare, since that's when the VHS industry was almost dead.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/23/16 at 10:47 pm

I never really knew that. I thought people would just go buy used VCRs from the 80s to mid 2000s at the latest. Although, finding a VCR from the late 2000s is really rare, since that's when the VHS industry was almost dead.

most of them are actually combo DVD/VCR player. It is indeed rare to find a standalone VCR player.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/24/16 at 9:00 am

most of them are actually combo DVD/VCR player. It is indeed rare to find a standalone VCR player.

I actually wish I had a combo DVD/VCR player. They have the ability to record blank VHS tapes and DVDs, which is totally awesome.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/16 at 2:46 pm

Japan makes VCRs for North America. If you go into a store, they still have VCRs sold on the shelves (made from Japan) so you can still buy them in North America. So Japan stopping the production of VCRs is a very big deal for the world, there will be no more new VCRs up for sale. Anyone who will want to buy a VCR willhave to get it from a garage sale lol. RIP VHS.

or you can buy it from Ebay for less than $100.

Written By: whistledog on 07/27/16 at 1:23 am

I saw this topic and thought "I wonder if Ralfy bumped it"

Who needs Miss Cleo.  I'm the master psychic ;D

Written By: ralfy on 07/29/16 at 9:43 pm

I saw this topic and thought "I wonder if Ralfy bumped it"

Who needs Miss Cleo.  I'm the master psychic ;D

Apparently, old news keeps getting updated.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/16 at 7:30 am

So what happens to the VHS tapes that one person has or has had for years?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/16 at 7:37 am

So what happens to the VHS tapes that one person has or has had for years?  ???
Congealed

Written By: Howard on 07/30/16 at 8:25 am

Congealed

or a collector's item?

Written By: aja675 on 07/30/16 at 8:26 am

I live in a country where VHS became out of date real quick, not because of DVD's, but because of VCD's.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/16 at 8:43 am

I live in a country where VHS became out of date real quick, not because of DVD's, but because of VCD's.

So when did VHS became outdated in your country?

Written By: aja675 on 07/30/16 at 9:38 am

So when did VHS became outdated in your country?

It was in roughly 2000-2002.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/16 at 9:54 am

It was in roughly 2000-2002.

Okay. In the U.S., it became really outdated around 2004-2006.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/05/16 at 2:54 am

This is hardly news. VHS truly died in the mid-2000s, 10 years ago.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/05/16 at 5:50 am

This is hardly news. VHS truly died in the mid-2000s, 10 years ago.

That may be right, but people were still using VHS tapes after that. Although, it's remembered as one of the first home video formats before the DVD became popular enough.

Check for new replies or respond here...