inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Goodbye MTV, VH1, Nick and all others by Viacom!

Written By: Tam on 12/31/08 at 11:38 am

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/happy-new-year-time-warner-cable-to-yank-mtv-nickeodeon-comedy-central-off-the-air

Time Warner cable is doing it again!

As of 12:01am on January 1st, Time Warner Cable subscribers will lose 19 of their favorite channels.
TWC's talks with Viacom have reached a stand still. So TWC has decided to remove 19 channels from their lineup, those being Comedy Central; CMT: Pure Country; Logo; Palladia; MTV; MTV 2; MTV Hits; MTV Jams; MTV Tr3s; Nickelodeon; Noggin; Nick 2; Nicktoons; Spike; The N; TV Land; Vh1; Vh1 Classic; Vh1 Soul.

Viacom's programming channels have now included a scrolling bar across the bottom of these channels, encouraging viewers to call to have this change stopped. The number provided of course is constantly busy, so either there are tons of calls going through or TWC has taken those lines off the hook.

Funny thing - Viacom was only asking for something like a penny a day for all the channels, which TWC is calling prespammersite, yet TWC is raising their rates by $3.00 a month and still taking away these channels!!

Personally, I can do without the unreality Reality shows, but I love Nick and Nick 2, Logo, Comedy Central, TV Land and Spike TV.

1-800-762-3786 to have them keep these channels! Good luck though because we have yet to get through! ::)

Subject: Re: Goodbye MTV, VH1, Nick and all others by Viacom!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/31/08 at 11:47 am

Which is why I'm happy to be Canadian.

Written By: ninny on 12/31/08 at 12:26 pm

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/happy-new-year-time-warner-cable-to-yank-mtv-nickeodeon-comedy-central-off-the-air

Time Warner cable is doing it again!

As of 12:01am on January 1st, Time Warner Cable subscribers will lose 19 of their favorite channels.
TWC's talks with Viacom have reached a stand still. So TWC has decided to remove 19 channels from their lineup, those being Comedy Central; CMT: Pure Country; Logo; Palladia; MTV; MTV 2; MTV Hits; MTV Jams; MTV Tr3s; Nickelodeon; Noggin; Nick 2; Nicktoons; Spike; The N; TV Land; Vh1; Vh1 Classic; Vh1 Soul.

Viacom's programming channels have now included a scrolling bar across the bottom of these channels, encouraging viewers to call to have this change stopped. The number provided of course is constantly busy, so either there are tons of calls going through or TWC has taken those lines off the hook.

Funny thing - Viacom was only asking for something like a penny a day for all the channels, which TWC is calling prespammersite, yet TWC is raising their rates by $3.00 a month and still taking away these channels!!

Personally, I can do without the unreality Reality shows, but I love Nick and Nick 2, Logo, Comedy Central, TV Land and Spike TV.

1-800-762-3786 to have them keep these channels! Good luck though because we have yet to get through! ::)

My mother in law called,she said all they do is tell you to call your local cable provider.Then you call that # and it's been busy the whole time.My nieces love Noggin and have been crying all day :\'(. I myself still check out VH1, TV Land & Nick

Written By: Tam on 12/31/08 at 12:34 pm

My mother in law called,she said all they do is tell you to call your local cable provider.Then you call that # and it's been busy the whole time.My nieces love Noggin and have been crying all day :\'(. I myself still check oy VH1, TV Land & Nick

Isn't that just great!
Dora fans are going to be in a world of hurt for sure. I feel bad for those parents who will have to deal with this. Not to mention the adults that are addicted to SpongeBob, who won't be able to view it anymore...

I called our local TWC, and the phone rang until it went busy.
I guess they aren't receiving any calls today! ;D >:(

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/31/08 at 12:52 pm

I really dislike Viacom.

They really ARE evil, all they want is money, money, money!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/31/08 at 12:58 pm

NOT TVLand!  Nooooooooooooooooo..... :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: Paul on 12/31/08 at 1:04 pm

So much for the unlimited choice of viewing in this here digital age!  ::)

We had a not dis-similar dispute in Britain recently, involving Sky & Virgin...someone else who's a bit more clued-up will have to provide you with details, as I subscribe to neither!  :D

Written By: joeman on 12/31/08 at 1:21 pm

Well, I hate MTV with a passion, but I will miss Nick and VH1.

Written By: ninny on 12/31/08 at 3:38 pm

If they were worried about losing these channels,why didn't they inform people a while ago?

Written By: Mushroom on 01/01/09 at 9:26 am

A deal was reached.  So the couch potatoes can continue to watch MTV till their eardrums bleed.

Now if MTV would only bring back Randee Of The Redwoods, I might start watching it again.  8)

http://www.mtv.com/content/ontv/vma/2007/images/archive/flipbooks/1987/1987_randeeoftheredwoods_02.jpg

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/02/09 at 10:33 am

A deal was reached.  So the couch potatoes can continue to watch MTV till their eardrums bleed.

I don't care about MTV...but I do love TVLand!  8)

Now if MTV would only bring back Randee Of The Redwoods, I might start watching it again.   8)

http://www.mtv.com/content/ontv/vma/2007/images/archive/flipbooks/1987/1987_randeeoftheredwoods_02.jpg

Heh!  I think my mom used to have a shirt like the one the guy is wearing in this picture...many, many years ago!  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/02/09 at 10:03 pm

I've got Comcast (which is no great shakes either) so it doesn't effect me, but if I had to choose, I'd tell Viacom to go frack themselves, even though I'd miss falling asleep to those 2 a.m. Three's Company reruns! 

Viacom versus Time/Warner? It's like watching two hogs fight over a corn cob!
::)

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/03/09 at 4:21 pm

I've got Comcast (which is no great shakes either) so it doesn't effect me, but if I had to choose, I'd tell Viacom to go frack themselves, even though I'd miss falling asleep to those 2 a.m. Three's Company reruns! 

Time/Warner has that stupid singing puppy dog.

"4 day, 4 day, 4 day sale"!

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/03/09 at 7:52 pm

Out here I get Cox, but I probably wouldn't even notice if they decide to get rid of MTV.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/03/09 at 8:50 pm

Out here I get Cox, but I probably wouldn't even notice if they decide to get rid of MTV.  ;D

Say what you get out there?
:P

Written By: Stompgal on 01/05/09 at 6:54 am

Are the US versions of the channels only being taken off the air? I'm not sure if the UK channels like MTV One, Nickelodeon and VH1 will eventually close down.

Written By: Tam on 01/05/09 at 12:18 pm

Are the US versions of the channels only being taken off the air? I'm not sure if the UK channels like MTV One, Nickelodeon and VH1 will eventually close down.

Nah - all of the channels are safe now.
In the eleventh hour, Time Warner and Viacom reached a deal that has kept the channels on the air.
8)

Written By: Dagwood on 01/05/09 at 12:38 pm

Not only what Tam said, but it was also only with one cable company not off the air permanently.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/06/09 at 1:51 pm

We've got Comcast here, too. So, no worries on our end, but wow, what a blow for those channels because that's some massive airtime they'd be losing in the East Coast. What are these people thinking??

Check for new replies or respond here...