inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Computer RPG games

Written By: Mushroom on 01/01/09 at 8:53 pm

Does anbody else play these?

I have to admit, I have played games like these off and on for many years.  And for me, this goeas way back.  I was a big Wizardry player in the early 1980's, and played Wizardry 1 & 2 for many years on my old Commodore 64.

When BBSs came out, I played several there also.  Trade Wars, Spacer Quest, and Legend Of The Red Dragon were ones that I played on a daily basis.  I even played som of the early "Online" games, like those on SierraNet, Qantum, and CompuServe.

I did not play online for many years, but did experiment with ones like Baldur's Gate online.  I tried EverQuest, but with the limits on connectivity of the time (14.4 kbps), playing was agonizing most of the time.

Then 2 years ago when people were going crazy for World Of Warcraft, I discovered another game, Guild Wars.  I have been playing this for many years now, and have no interest in quitting any time soon.  I still find it a very addicting game, and will often waste hours playing it.

Last week, I decided to give World Of Warcraft a try.  And after having spent around $50 on it, I can honestly say I have no interest in continuing my subscription once my month ends.

I compare it and GW, and find that to me, WoW does not even come close.  I find myself wasting so much time doing simple things like going from town to town, that it amazes me that people still put up with it.  And as I write this, I am waiting for my server to open up and let me in.  So far, I have been waiting around 20 minutes, and still have 5 minutes left to wait before I can even play.  Now why should I pay $15 a month to wait for a server to open up, when I have never had to wait for GW to let me in, and there is no monthly fee there?

Subject: Re: Computer RPG games

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/01/09 at 10:55 pm

Does anbody else play these?

I have to admit, I have played games like these off and on for many years.  And for me, this goeas way back.  I was a big Wizardry player in the early 1980's, and played Wizardry 1 & 2 for many years on my old Commodore 64.

You haven't lived until you've played through Wizardry 6 (although this one might be difficult to run on a modern system), 7 (get the "Wizardry Gold" version, which should work anywhere), and 8 (very interesting phased-combat system, 3D graphics, and a party positioning model/system that actually works).  All feature deep plots, multiple/alternate endings, breakable alliances, good characterizations of NPCs, decent voice acting where applicable, and while the three games can be played on their own, they form a complete trilogy.

R.I.P., Sir-Tech, maker of the greatest series of CRPGs ever.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/01/09 at 11:25 pm

I liked Final Fantasy on Super Nintendo. Wizardry as well. Best RPG IMO was the Arena/Daggerfall/Morrowind, etc.. series from Bethesda Software.

Spent wayyyyyyy too much time playing Everquest. I played it on dial up (56k). Patches could take hours to install. At first it was fun, but in the end it became a massive timesink - 1 hour just to find a group, another 3-5 grinding out xp and getting minimal loot, only to piss it away tradeskilling my shaman's useless alchemy. Sony killed the game for me by making shaman obsolete in groups. Debuff, slow, canni, dot, heal tank, oops, I got aggro (over a tank doing like 500dps), say /please heal me, LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...

signature banned as well

Written By: Step-chan on 01/02/09 at 12:34 am

I've never played Computer RPGs.

But have played played plenty of Dragon Warrior/Quest games, some Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star.

Check for new replies or respond here...