inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cell phone cost

Written By: Tia on 01/10/09 at 7:12 pm

What say ye?

I think cell phones are too expensive.

Subject: Re: Cell phone cost

Written By: Jessica on 01/10/09 at 7:29 pm

I'm on my mom's plan, and she pays about $150 a month (this is for four phones, unlimited texting, with unlimited data for my phone).

Written By: Dagwood on 01/10/09 at 7:33 pm

I'm on my mom's plan, and she pays about $150 a month (this is for four phones, unlimited texting, with unlimited data for my phone).

Same here.  I don't know how much she pays but it is for 3 phones, so it is surely more than $100.  I tried to pay my share but she won't let me.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/10/09 at 8:22 pm

100+. Verizon family plan (3 phones): unlimited in calls, nights, weekends and no roaming charges. 700 minutes a month. Insurance on my phone, because it's like 430$ to replace it. Pricey, but cell service and coverage is great. No rollover minutes though.

text messages, sending pics to email and over minutes are wayyy too friggin' expensive. It's like 20c per text, 25c per image and 45c per minute over.

Before I had this I had a Tracphone. I blew over 100$ in three weeks on minutes, and adding them was a pita.

signature banned as well

Written By: snozberries on 01/10/09 at 9:22 pm

I pay 60 for the phone, internet, unlimited texting and early nights and weekends.

Written By: Tam on 01/10/09 at 9:24 pm

100+
Verizon family plan (3 phones) unlimited in calls and texting, nights and weekends and no roaming charges. 1200 minutes a month. Insurance on 2 phones.
Definitely cheaper than having 3 separate cell phone bills. ;)
Excellent coverage as well. Never had a call drop!!!

Written By: Davester on 01/10/09 at 10:12 pm

Several years ago I ditched the landline in favor of a pre-paid cell account to cut expenses.  I normally add about $15 a month, sometimes $25, and sometimes I don't use all of it...

I hate talking on the phone.  I only use it to check my bank account, order pizzas and call-in sick to work...

Written By: gumbypiz on 01/11/09 at 1:58 am

I pay Verizon $75 a month for a PDA/smartphone (Palm Centro) plan that includes 600mins, unlimited nights/weekends, 250 texts and unlimited internet/dataplan (thats the real, java enabled internet w/Opera browser, not the crappy "mobile phone internet" version most phones have).

Normally I'd say that's a lot, but I use every darn bit of my mins, text and dataplan. Up until a year or so I had Verizon pay as you go and at $50 per month, believe me it sucked hard. :P

With all the internet necessary apps I run on it, for $25 more for a PDA/smartphone with the unlimited dataplan is not bad, as I use my phone for everything and I use it a lot, so I'm not really complaining...I've seen what some are paying monthly for their iPhone, and I'm getting off easy. 8)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/11/09 at 6:13 am

I have the Verizon for 70 bucks a month for 2 of us, but when youngone turns 18 he will be paying for his own.  He wants an Iphone for his birthday which means a switch to AT&T, I'll get him that,  but he will be paying for everything after.

Written By: Dude111 on 01/11/09 at 8:29 am

I pay $0 (I dont have or want a cell phone)

Written By: Midas on 01/11/09 at 5:19 pm

$57 USD on T-mobile for 600 anytime minutes free night (after 9 PM) & weekend minutes, 1000 text messages a month.  I never go over my minutes; I could probably drop a tier but I'm afraid of going over that.  Occasionally I'll download a ringtone that costs no more than $2.49.  Currently have "Open Up" by Leftfield/Lydon ringin'.

I've considered switching to Verizon (which my fiancĂ© has) when my contract expires, but my reception is better than hers.  She can't make any calls at home.  She pays around the same but has something like 450 anytime minutes, unlimited mobile-to-mobile (Verizon to Verizon) and unlimited text.  Problem is she sometimes goes over her minutes 'cuz her sister calls her everyday and isn't on Verizon :D

Prior to switching to T-Mobile a couple years back I was paying about $90/month with AllSmell and had the same minute package but no texting package and they sucked.

Written By: midnite on 01/12/09 at 7:25 pm

I pay $75 per month on my plan but FREQUENTLY pay alot more since I talk alot.  Yikes!

Written By: karen on 01/12/09 at 8:04 pm

I have no idea.  I am on some sort of pay-as-you-go system.  I paid $100 in September '07 and had to top up in about May '08.  there was still about $20 left but it wouldn't let me make any more calls.  >:(  Considering the most I've paid for a call is  40 cents I don't see why I had to keep such a high balance.

Written By: statsqueen on 01/13/09 at 9:01 pm

Monthly bill around $115 (Micah pays $20/mo for her unlimited text package)

I have Alltel

2 phones
Unlimited minutes mobile to mobile and my circle (so I can talk to Micah, brother, parents, other alltel customers, etc. without using minutes)
nationwide plan, so no roaming, long distance charges
1000 mins/mo above and beyond m2m
free weekends and nights starting at 9
I have limited text on my phone (never go over b/c only texting is replies to M's texts)

Written By: ninny on 01/14/09 at 10:28 am

Little Timmy has Verizon and averages about $95 a month,but I believe that will go up because he traded up to a Blackberry,Missy just joined his plan and her bill was $117 but that included her activation fee.

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/14/09 at 6:57 pm

I don't have a cellphone, but I may buy one for my dad on his birthday just in case he has an emergency while I'm out.

Written By: statsqueen on 01/14/09 at 7:30 pm

Indy got me thinking....

Does anyone here know anyone who has that Jitterbug cell thing?  It is marketed to seniors, with the big buttons, 24/7 help desk (my parents would drive them nuts) and low cost.  All I know about them is pretty much that--and I got that from ads.  My parents don't have a car phone anymore and if they go to FL in Feb (wonder if my mom knows my dad is looking into it yet) I would feel much better if they had a phone (let's hope they remember to charge the battery).

Written By: Red Ant on 01/17/09 at 9:16 pm

no idea, statsqueen. I assume you've tried the obvious routes of Google, eBay, etc. If you can't find it, send me a PM and I'll check on the telecom forum for you.

My cost will go down a bit this month - I had text messaging removed from all three phones. The reason? Verizon (my carrier) kept spamming me with text messages to get a better plan, so I did.  ;D

I also figured out one reason why I haven't been paid on time: one of our subs ran up a $818 phone bill in one month with texting and ringtones on the bossman's phone. Needless to say he's fired.

signature banned as well

Written By: snozberries on 01/18/09 at 2:19 pm

Indy got me thinking....

Does anyone here know anyone who has that Jitterbug cell thing?  It is marketed to seniors, with the big buttons, 24/7 help desk (my parents would drive them nuts) and low cost.  All I know about them is pretty much that--and I got that from ads.  My parents don't have a car phone anymore and if they go to FL in Feb (wonder if my mom knows my dad is looking into it yet) I would feel much better if they had a phone (let's hope they remember to charge the battery).

I found this discussion on the jitterbug.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/discuss.php?ff=104

also if you click the other tabs there are reviews or something

Check for new replies or respond here...