inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I can't seem to pass my Road Test

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/15/09 at 1:22 pm

This is the 2nd time that I took my road test and for some reason...I can't seem to yield. I knew I failed this time and they say third times a charm, but if I fail I will say "Third Times A Charm My Ass".

And if I fail the 4th time, I'm going to say "fudge driving" and never get my Drivers License ever again!

Subject: Re: I can't seem to pass my Road Test

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/09 at 1:38 pm

This is the 2nd time that I took my road test and for some reason...I can't seem to yield. I knew I failed this time and they say third times a charm, but if I fail I will say "Third Times A Charm My Ass".

And if I fail the 4th time, I'm going to say "fudge driving" and never get my Drivers License ever again!

When you say you can't yield that that mean you completely forget to slow down or you try to yield and end up coming to a complete stop?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/15/09 at 2:39 pm

I didn't realize yeilding was such a big part of the test. I failed the written exam once and also the driving test once. I was so scared coming back the second time around, but you know what, just shake the jitters out of you and maybe you'll get someone different who isn't going to mark you down for yeilding. Yeilding is a hard thing to mark down because sometimes when yeilding, you do need to stop all the way if oncoming traffic keeps coming. You don't have much of a choice because you do not have the right of way, the traffic does. Usually, I'd call yeilding like a "Hollywood Stop," which Californians are notorious for. It's like you kinda just tap your brakes enough to show you've considered stopping, but not enough to actually make your wheels stop, you just sort of roll with it... lol  ;D

Anyway, I do wish you luck on your next test. Just practice, practice, practice and don't let it get to you when you get there.

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/09 at 6:08 pm

I didn't realize yeilding was such a big part of the test. I failed the written exam once and also the driving test once. I was so scared coming back the second time around, but you know what, just shake the jitters out of you and maybe you'll get someone different who isn't going to mark you down for yeilding. Yeilding is a hard thing to mark down because sometimes when yeilding, you do need to stop all the way if oncoming traffic keeps coming. You don't have much of a choice because you do not have the right of way, the traffic does. Usually, I'd call yeilding like a "Hollywood Stop," which Californians are notorious for. It's like you kinda just tap your brakes enough to show you've considered stopping, but not enough to actually make your wheels stop, you just sort of roll with it... lol  ;D

Anyway, I do wish you luck on your next test. Just practice, practice, practice and don't let it get to you when you get there.

hollywood stop? Really we just call it a california stop...because, as you say, we are notorious for it.

I was once with an officer who stopped a girl for rolling a stop sign and she said "But I slowed down!" he said... it's a "Stop sign not a slow sign"  ;D

Sorry Paul... I hoped the story might cheer you up a bit.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/15/09 at 10:51 pm

Have you taken a good (I'll loosely define "good" as meaning "something involving a few hours of driving in various conditions, where you and the instructor being the only two people in the car") defensive driving course? 

If not, contact a few schools in your area.  Could be some of the best money you'll ever spend.  Probably saved my life at least twice, and has definitely saved my car more times than I can count. 

The bonus payoff is the first time one of your friends thinks you're a ninja with a time machine.  Instead, you just shrug and "Naw, not a ninja, I saw the guy's feet between the wheels of the parked cars so I wasn't surprised when he walked out in front of us", or, "Naw, no ninja skillz, he's a jerk for not signaling, but he turned his wheel into traffic, so I wasn't surprised when he pulled out from that parking spot", or "Naw, no time machine.  He never decelerated when the light changed.  So I waited an extra half-second to be sure he'd stop, and he didn't.  At the next intersection, take a look down the road in the direction he was going -- it's 5:00 rush hour, and that guy was driving directly into the glare of the sun.  He probably doesn't even know he ran the red light"

The goal of a good driving school should be to make your mistakes as cheaply-fixable as possible -- saying "Damn, that was a close one" and wondering aloud about what you could have done better ... is a lot cheaper than "Damn, that was too close, here's my insurance agent's number" and having to keep your mouth shut about what you could have done better.

I'm hardly the world's greatest driver.  I say "Damn, that was a close one, what could I have done to not get into that mess" every few hundred miles, or every few weeks.  My answer is usually "slow down", "look further ahead", "leave more space for evasive action", all things that are more or less under my control.  I'm a better driver than when I was just starting out, but there are drivers with a million accident-free miles under their belts.  Those people only have near misses every few thousand miles, or once or twice a year, and their answers are probably more along the lines of "not much, the other guy's tire blew just as he entered the highway", or "not much, the guy's radiator blew in the middle of a snowstorm and temporarily blinded everyone."

hollywood stop? Really we just call it a california stop...because, as you say, we are notorious for it.

I was once with an officer who stopped a girl for rolling a stop sign and she said "But I slowed down!" he said... it's a "Stop sign not a slow sign"  ;D

I grew up hearing it described as the "California roll".  Yes, as in the kind of driving that only Californian sushi-eaters would invent.  (The phenomenon, regardless of how it's named, is universal.)

Our version of the cop joke was a little rougher around the edges, too:  "But Officer, I was  almost stopped!" / "If I started hitting you with this nightstick, would you want me to stop, or to almost stop?" :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/18/09 at 11:42 am

I guess I am outnumbered on the whole "California Stop/Roll" term. Unfortunately, I've still have only heard it as the "Hollywood Stop." Maybe since we're up in the Northern part of California, we deemed it a Southern California thing and therefore gave it the Hollywood Stop name. You know how those slang terms can spread and be turned into many different variations,  ;D

Here, I rest my case:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hollywood%20stop

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/18/09 at 11:49 am

I had to quit on-road driver ed 'coz I was scaring the instructor too much.  He'd slam on that passenger side brake every fifteen feet.  Poor guy's prolly still alive out there suffering from PTSD!
:o

Written By: snozberries on 01/18/09 at 12:36 pm

I guess I am outnumbered on the whole "California Stop/Roll" term. Unfortunately, I've still have only heard it as the "Hollywood Stop." Maybe since we're up in the Northern part of California, we deemed it a Southern California thing and therefore gave it the Hollywood Stop name. You know how those slang terms can spread and be turned into many different variations,  ;D

Here, I rest my case:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hollywood%20stop

lol... I don't know I' lived in Salinas and Stockton (both in Nor Cal... and there we said CA. Stop as well...)  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/18/09 at 1:22 pm

The Boston Stop belongs to the guy with the smaller pair of cajones!
8)

Written By: Jessica on 01/18/09 at 10:39 pm

lol... I don't know I' lived in Salinas and Stockton (both in Nor Cal... and there we said CA. Stop as well...)  ;)

I'll second this.  It was known as either a California Roll or a California Stop.

And I still do it. :D

Written By: ADH13 on 01/18/09 at 10:59 pm

Whew!

All you can see of this topic from the main screen is "I can't seem to pass..."

I thought this was gonna be about a bodily function issue or something... ;D 8-P

Written By: snozberries on 01/19/09 at 1:25 am

Whew!

All you can see of this topic from the main screen is "I can't seem to pass..."

I thought this was gonna be about a bodily function issue or something... ;D 8-P

lol you should have seen Al-B's thread.... I JUST GOT LAID......

you have to go into the thread to see he was laid off...

Written By: ninny on 01/19/09 at 6:39 am

I'll second this.  It was known as either a California Roll or a California Stop.

Hell I live in NY state and we even call it a California stop ;D

It took me twice to pass my road test,now I don't even drive :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/19/09 at 11:48 am

Hell I live in NY state and we even call it a California stop ;D

It took me twice to pass my road test,now I don't even drive :(

I hear ya. I had a few permits-not because I couldn't pass the test but because I DIDN'T take it. I finally took the test & passed on the first try. But, now I don't drive anymore because I am now legally blind. I don't think anyone would WANT me behind the wheel of a car. But I still have my license-just don't use it.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/19/09 at 1:26 pm

I hear ya. I had a few permits-not because I couldn't pass the test but because I DIDN'T take it. I finally took the test & passed on the first try. But, now I don't drive anymore because I am now legally blind. I don't think anyone would WANT me behind the wheel of a car. But I still have my license-just don't use it.

Cat

you type really well for a blind chick  ;)

and take AMAZING pictures too!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/19/09 at 1:35 pm

you type really well for a blind chick  ;)

and take AMAZING pictures too!

Thanks. Actually, most people are not aware of it until I tell them because I have good functional vision for the most part. Where it is VERY noticeable is my night vision & my peripheral vision. Sometimes even Carlos forgets until I bump into something or when something drops on the floor and it takes me a long time to find it because I just don't see it even though it is RIGHT there! Sometimes he will hand me something, expecting me to grab it and when I don't, he finally says, "Here" and then I am like, "Oh, ok."

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/19/09 at 1:39 pm

Thanks. Actually, most people are not aware of it until I tell them because I have good functional vision for the most part. Where it is VERY noticeable is my night vision & my peripheral vision. Sometimes even Carlos forgets until I bump into something or when something drops on the floor and it takes me a long time to find it because I just don't see it even though it is RIGHT there! Sometimes he will hand me something, expecting me to grab it and when I don't, he finally says, "Here" and then I am like, "Oh, ok."

Cat

yeah that would be tough...I didn't know that. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/19/09 at 1:50 pm

yeah that would be tough...I didn't know that. 

Seriously? I thought EVERYONE knew.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/19/09 at 1:56 pm

Seriously? I thought EVERYONE knew.

Cat

I guess I'm special...

Written By: whistledog on 01/19/09 at 10:37 pm

It usually depends on the instructor you get.  Different driving instructors have different ways of testing you.  When I took my road test to get my G2 License, alot of the things I learned in traffic school (like 3 point turns) didn't even come up on my road test.  When I had to parallel park, I got to do it with only a car behind me and no car in front of me

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/20/09 at 5:37 pm

Hmmm, Stockton is more Central California, definitely not San Fran bay Area. Salinas is about the same. I pretty much deem anything south of Tracy as Central California. But again, I don't think any of us are "wrong" It just means the term has been twisted a little bit...  8) (my Obama face actually is a smiley with the sunglasses, it's all cool peeps, lol)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/20/09 at 5:39 pm

Any way you call it, what you guys are doing is illegal and unsafe and you should all be ashamed!  >:(

:D :D :D

Whatever, as long as the cops don't catch you on their quota-day hehehe.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/20/09 at 5:39 pm

It usually depends on the instructor you get.  Different driving instructors have different ways of testing you.  When I took my road test to get my G2 License, alot of the things I learned in traffic school (like 3 point turns) didn't even come up on my road test.  When I had to parallel park, I got to do it with only a car behind me and no car in front of me

Lucky for me, I didn't even have to parallel park. I think they took it out of our driving tests. Not sure why! We did have to back up straight for 100 feet. I guess I did okay with that.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/20/09 at 5:40 pm

Any way you call it, what you guys are doing is illegal and unsafe and you should all be ashamed!  >:(

:D :D :D

Whatever, as long as the cops don't catch you on their quota-day hehehe.

Whoa, too many Obamas for me.  ??? ??? ??? :o :o :o :o

There you go!

Now, let me drive illegally in peace!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/20/09 at 8:21 pm

Hmmm, Stockton is more Central California, definitely not San Fran bay Area. Salinas is about the same. I pretty much deem anything south of Tracy as Central California. But again, I don't think any of us are "wrong" It just means the term has been twisted a little bit...  8) (my Obama face actually is a smiley with the sunglasses, it's all cool peeps, lol)

stockton is north of tracy less than an hour from Sacto so we consider it Nor Cal...plus plenty of people say hella in stockton so.... you know...

I'll give you Salinas as central Cal...tho it feels more Nor Cal than SoCal ...where as Santa Barbara is Central Coast but has a socal feel to it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/22/09 at 10:15 am

stockton is north of tracy less than an hour from Sacto so we consider it Nor Cal...plus plenty of people say hella in stockton so.... you know...

I'll give you Salinas as central Cal...tho it feels more Nor Cal than SoCal ...where as Santa Barbara is Central Coast but has a socal feel to it.

Hey, that's right.. Stockton is north of Tracy! OKay, I made a big "oops" there. Sorry. And, I should know, lol. The thing with Stockton is once you get in there, it really doesn't feel like Northern California. It's very farm like although it's also quite a large city. I actually have not step foot into Stockton in over 10 years, but that was the impression I got.

Salinas is by far a Central California city. It doesn't really connect up north with us and it doesn't quite fit in with the SoCal scene either. Anyway, no biggie! It just goes to show California is just too darn big!!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/09 at 7:09 pm

Hey, that's right.. Stockton is north of Tracy! OKay, I made a big "oops" there. Sorry. And, I should know, lol. The thing with Stockton is once you get in there, it really doesn't feel like Northern California. It's very farm like although it's also quite a large city. I actually have not step foot into Stockton in over 10 years, but that was the impression I got.

Salinas is by far a Central California city. It doesn't really connect up north with us and it doesn't quite fit in with the SoCal scene either. Anyway, no biggie! It just goes to show California is just too darn big!!  ;D

yeah you needed to hit Central Stockton...or "Stock-Tone" it is anything but farmy....  ;)  Hell I feel safer hanging in Compton.  ;D

Written By: statsqueen on 01/22/09 at 7:20 pm

We call it an MSP stop.  MSP=Michigan State Police  ;D

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/27/09 at 12:44 pm

I'm about to get my Drivers License tomorrow...and it's supposed to snow real bad here.

Wish me luck, because they say 3rd times a charm.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/28/09 at 12:05 pm

Nope, not today.

But I have to shovel my parents driveway and get my father cigarettes, though.  :(

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/29/09 at 3:08 pm

I came...

I saw...

I passed my test today! ;)

Written By: snozberries on 01/29/09 at 3:21 pm

congrats

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/29/09 at 3:29 pm

Just don't do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL57enlJiB4&eurl=http://failblog.org/&feature=player_embedded

Written By: snozberries on 01/29/09 at 3:32 pm

Just don't do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL57enlJiB4&eurl=http://failblog.org/&feature=player_embedded

that would be pretty hard to do!

Written By: karen on 01/29/09 at 4:18 pm

congratulations

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/29/09 at 5:35 pm

I came...

I saw...

Woo hoo!!!!!!  8)

Congratulations, MISTER Cleveland !!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/30/09 at 1:54 am

I came...

I saw...

Congratulations Mr. C!  Happy motoring! 

I remember how relieved I was when I passed mine, it didn't come easy!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/iroc.gif

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/30/09 at 11:06 am

Congratulations Mr. C!  Happy motoring! 

I remember how relieved I was when I passed mine, it didn't come easy!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/iroc.gif

Is Massachusetts very difficult to get your license?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/30/09 at 11:25 am

Congrats.

that would be pretty hard to do!

Yeah, it was pretty hard to do. I saw a guy do something almost as stupid once. There was a pretty high curb outlining the parking lot of the building I used to work at. I was outside (yes, having a cig) watching this guy back up. He managed to get one of the back wheels over the curb. Ok, that is easy to do. But then he managed to get his FRONT wheel over it too so the car was straddled on this hump. I was just cracking up. He turns off the car, gets out and comes into the building-which I suspect to call someone. I did all I could from cracking up as he walked by me. I think I said something like, "Having a rough day?" He just grumbled. The thing is, if he just backed the car up, the curb ended on the road and he could have gotten out of it. I was not around to see how he got out of it. I think someone probably told him about backing up the car.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/30/09 at 11:41 am

Is Massachusetts very difficult to get your license?

It's not that tough in Mass.  New York is tougher, I think.  Anyway, I didn't get mine in Massatwosheeshs.  I got it in the middle of nowhere Tamworth, New Hampshire.  Instructor didn't ask me to parallel park 'coz there's nothing to parallel park against!  I just drove my dad's Jeep around some roads and back to the DMV and the guy said, "OK you're all set."  For me, the test wasn't heard, learning was hard.  I nearly totaled that same Jeep while I was practicing!
::)

Written By: snozberries on 01/30/09 at 11:44 am

Yeah, it was pretty hard to do. I saw a guy do something almost as stupid once. There was a pretty high curb outlining the parking lot of the building I used to work at. I was outside (yes, having a cig) watching this guy back up. He managed to get one of the back wheels over the curb. Ok, that is easy to do. But then he managed to get his FRONT wheel over it too so the car was straddled on this hump. I was just cracking up. He turns off the car, gets out and comes into the building-which I suspect to call someone. I did all I could from cracking up as he walked by me. I think I said something like, "Having a rough day?" He just grumbled. The thing is, if he just backed the car up, the curb ended on the road and he could have gotten out of it. I was not around to see how he got out of it. I think someone probably told him about backing up the car.

Cat

Yeah we call that being high centered... I saw a guy do that to his car one friday night... he was only a block from the frat house so he ran to the house and came back with ten big guys...they were actually able to lift the car off the curb...all before the police (yep I called them) were able to arrive.  Stupid kid- he was probably drunk!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/30/09 at 11:48 am

Yeah we call that being high centered... I saw a guy do that to his car one friday night... he was only a block from the frat house so he ran to the house and came back with ten big guys...they were actually able to lift the car off the curb...all before the police (yep I called them) were able to arrive.  Stupid kid- he was probably drunk!

Ok, I can see doing that when you are drunk. But this guy wasn't drunk-just stupid. And this guy was a captain, too.  :D :D ;D ;D ;D  (I was in them military at the time).

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...