inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Plane Crashes in the Hudson

Written By: danootaandme on 01/15/09 at 2:59 pm

An Airplane just crashed into the Hudson River.

Subject: Re: Plane Crashes in the Hudson

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/15/09 at 3:19 pm

I just turned off the wii and was watching Rachel Ray and the story just broke in.  I hope all are all right.  Sounds like birds took down the flight.

Written By: karen on 01/15/09 at 3:27 pm

Here's a bit more of the story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7832191.stm

Written By: danootaandme on 01/15/09 at 3:29 pm

This is a spectacular rescue  :o

Written By: Jessica on 01/15/09 at 3:34 pm

Holy crap.  I just turned it on the news, and it is effin' amazing how they're getting people out.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/15/09 at 3:39 pm

Wow!  :o

I sure hope they're able to rescue everybody from the plane!

Written By: Jessica on 01/15/09 at 3:40 pm

Wow!  :o

I sure hope they're able to rescue everybody from the plane!

They're saying everyone survived.  It is amazing watching this....the damned boat is just floating along, not sinking at all.  They're working quick though because it IS moving downriver.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/15/09 at 3:42 pm

Still......I see Amtrak in my future

Written By: Jessica on 01/15/09 at 3:43 pm

Still......I see Amtrak in my future

;D

I'm right there with you.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/15/09 at 3:48 pm

They're saying everyone survived.  It is amazing watching this....the damned boat is just floating along, not sinking at all.  They're working quick though because it IS moving downriver.

I just caught some of it on CNN.  That's really amazing!!

Written By: Howard on 01/15/09 at 3:57 pm

Wow,Hope everyone's alright. :o

Written By: Dagwood on 01/15/09 at 4:02 pm

Wow, it's amazing that everyone seems to have survived.  I am watching a replay and it is wild to see the plane just floating there in the water.  

Written By: Red Ant on 01/15/09 at 4:11 pm

Wow, amazing rescue. The pilots landed the plane as best they could, and it's unreal that the plane appears completely intact. Doug Parker is saying that they think everyone is off of the plane and accounted for.

signature banned as well

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/09 at 4:52 pm

Wow-U.S. Airways-that's what we usually fly when I am forced have to fly.  :-\\

I'm glad there were no fatalities.

Cat

Written By: seamermar on 01/15/09 at 5:20 pm

Sad to see New York in the news in such a way. Luckily no victims this time.
Maybe because it wasn't a plane crash, but a flight-splash  8)

Written By: Tam on 01/15/09 at 5:30 pm

Definitely sounds like a flock of gulls or possibly geese that flew into the engine(s).
I am so thankful that all have been rescued... only one serious injury so far and that is a flight attendant with a fractured leg.
8)

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/15/09 at 5:35 pm

Definitely sounds like a flock of gulls or possibly geese that flew into the engine(s).
I am so thankful that all have been rescued... only one serious injury so far and that is a flight attendant with a fractured leg.
8)
Luck was on their side, clean landing in a place where it may not have been so clean, all survived, and it is not tomorrow where temps are supposed to be much colder!!! God Bless!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/09 at 6:00 pm

I would say the fact that there were hardly any injuries is a testimony for the pilot.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/09 at 7:36 pm

was there footage of the crash or did the news just pick it up from the ferrys coming in for the rescue? 

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/15/09 at 7:38 pm

was there footage of the crash or did the news just pick it up from the ferrys coming in for the rescue? 

just from the ferry's coming in for rescue.

I would think that someone has it on their phone though, as it landed by Manhattan

Written By: Dagwood on 01/15/09 at 7:39 pm

Footage would be interesting to see.  There were plenty of witnesses, though.  I too woudl think someone has it in their phone.

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/09 at 7:40 pm

just from the ferry's coming in for rescue.

I would think that someone has it on their phone though, as it landed by Manhattan

probably in a few days then.

I get some east coast channels so I saw some of the rescue....plus it was on CNN.

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/09 at 7:41 pm

Footage would be interesting to see.  There were plenty of witnesses, though.  I too woudl think someone has it in their phone.

yeah I hear the pilot did an amazing job... at least that's what one of the passengers said.

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/15/09 at 7:58 pm

yeah I hear the pilot did an amazing job... at least that's what one of the passengers said.
He had to have, as none of the plane broke up.  The whole crew did well in the evacuation, they opened the forward door and none of the back doors, which allowed the plane to stay afloat.  Wonder if it is still floating down river???

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/09 at 8:00 pm

He had to have, as none of the plane broke up.  The whole crew did well in the evacuation, they opened the forward door and none of the back doors, which allowed the plane to stay afloat.  Wonder if it is still floating down river???

when I first saw it.. I didn't have the sound on and I didn't read the titles... I just thought... wow are they corralling a whale

Written By: Dagwood on 01/15/09 at 8:06 pm

Last I heard they had attached it to a tug boat to tow it into more shallow water to make it easier for the NTSB to get to it.  That kinda worried me, though.  What if it sinks?  Does the tug go with it?

Written By: karen on 01/15/09 at 8:35 pm

It floated down river as far as Battery Point I understand.

To those who are put off  flying from this sort of thing.  remember it is in the news because it is so rare, think how many car crashes there are every day - doesn't stop you driving

Written By: Tia on 01/15/09 at 9:00 pm

i only want to fly with those pilots from now on. heroic. 8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/16/09 at 12:32 am

Sounded nothing like these guys.

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000ERU3PG.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64884696_.jpg

But more like a flock of geese instead.  Fortunately the geese are now...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3485/3200185740_d74f263324.jpg?v=0

due to the efforts of the man of the hour, one Capt. Sullenberger:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/01/16/amd_sullenberger.jpg

...who has just won a lifetime supply of this:

http://www.stanleylondon.com/brasso.jpg

...because he's clearly got a heavy pair of these:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ldevf2U9ZS4/SKcbqHO4UAI/AAAAAAAAAXI/kXzn8OEsJP4/s320/brass_balls.jpg

In a world full of FAIL, it's nice to see some WIN for a change, and WIN doesn't get better than nailing a dead-stick water landing with airframe intact and no casualties.

Awesome flying, Cap'n.  Pure fracking win.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/16/09 at 12:45 am

at first the news reported "a bird"  and then it was a flock of geese.    amazing that the animal world/nature is something that they can't really prevent or do anything about. that's kinda scary that something as ordinary and harmless as geese brought down a jet airliner  :o    anyways, a excellent job done by the pilot and crew and rescue personel.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/16/09 at 1:02 am

Just got home from work and heard about this.

That pilot is a stud.  8)

Written By: Gis on 01/16/09 at 2:41 am

at first the news reported "a bird"  and then it was a flock of geese.    amazing that the animal world/nature is something that they can't really prevent or do anything about. that's kinda scary that something as ordinary and harmless as geese brought down a jet airliner  :o    anyways, a excellent job done by the pilot and crew and rescue personel.
You've seen Indianna Jones, that really is how messy bird strikes can be! One bird can completely destroy an engine even on something as big as a airliner.

I understand the pilot landed the plane using the river as if it were a runway which was why it was such a clean landing, I think that was a truely inspired piece of ingenuity, it kept the plane in one piece and meant everyone survived. Inspired.

Written By: Tam on 01/16/09 at 5:34 am

I understand the pilot landed the plane using the river as if it were a runway which was why it was such a clean landing, I think that was a truely inspired piece of ingenuity, it kept the plane in one piece and meant everyone survived. Inspired.

You know, I was thinking about how brilliant this pilot was! Surely, after just taking off, this plane had tanks FULL of gas! Of course he would try to land it in the water right? Make for an easier landing without a great big FIREBALL. I definitely want this guy and his crew flying my plane. ;)

Written By: seamermar on 01/16/09 at 6:23 am

I saw a North-bound Flock of Geese
Against a Sky of Baby Blue
Mother Nature's quite a Lady

but.... be careful of the wings

I only let myself make a joke for nobody got lost

Written By: Howard on 01/16/09 at 6:45 am

He's a hero for doing what he did.  :)

Written By: karen on 01/16/09 at 6:48 am

Aeroplane engines are designed to withstand a single bird strike.  They test the engine by throwing raw chickens at them!

This time though the plane struck a flock of geese which took out both engines, it might have survived one goose in one engine.

By the way, these were not Rolls-Royce engines I understand.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/09 at 6:52 am

Aeroplane engines are designed to withstand a single bird strike.  They test the engine by throwing raw chickens at them!

This time though the plane struck a flock of geese which took out both engines, it might have survived one goose in one engine.

By the way, these were not Rolls-Royce engines I understand.

Couldn't the geese see where they were going?

Written By: Tam on 01/16/09 at 6:54 am

Couldn't the geese see where they were going?

Of course, but a plane travels a heck of a lot faster than the geese do. Even if the geese thought they had time, they could never have gotten out of the way! Those engines suck in air so fast, the geese wouldn't have had a chance! ;)

Written By: Howard on 01/16/09 at 6:56 am

Of course, but a plane travels a heck of a lot faster than the geese do. Even if the geese thought they had time, they could never have gotten out of the way! Those engines suck in air so fast, the geese wouldn't have had a chance! ;)

Did the geese die cause of that?  ???

Written By: Tam on 01/16/09 at 7:02 am

Did the geese die cause of that?  ???

Unfortunately yes Howard. Nothing would survive being sucked into those engines.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/09 at 7:07 am

Unfortunately yes Howard. Nothing would survive being sucked into those engines.

Right,it was a powerful engine.

Written By: karen on 01/16/09 at 7:18 am

At another messageboard I belong to a friend has the sig line "Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into the air intake of a jet engine"

Written By: statsqueen on 01/16/09 at 7:41 am

This is from an article on cnn.com:

Sullenberger's background in aviation appeared to have prepared him for such a situation.

He has been a pilot with US Airways since 1980, following seven years in the U.S. Air Force.

His resume -- posted on the Web site for his safety consulting firm, Safety Reliability Methods, Inc. -- lists piloting procedures, technical safety strategies, emergency management and operations improvement, as areas of industry expertise.

He served as an instructor and Air Line Pilots Association safety chairman, accident investigator and national technical committee member, according to a biography on the site. He participated in several USAF and National Transportation Safety Board accident investigations, and worked with NASA scientists on a paper on error and aviation, his site says.

I missed it, but it sounds like it was an amazing landing.  The headline of the article described the plane as sinking, but from what I've read from you all, it doesn't sound like it did.  I'm glad he was so under --and in-- control.  Wish he could fly all the planes.

Written By: karen on 01/16/09 at 7:47 am

I missed it, but it sounds like it was an amazing landing.  The headline of the article described the plane as sinking, but from what I've read from you all, it doesn't sound like it did.  I'm glad he was so under --and in-- control.  Wish he could fly all the planes.

As far as I can tell from the pictures they only opened the emergency exits over the wings and maybe the front doors.  There are pictures on-line of the passengers standing on the wings of the plane waiting to be rescued.  The ferries and tour boats got there quickly and pulled people off. 

The plane floated about four miles down the river and was slowly sinking in that time.  The last I saw it wasn't fully submerged.

in pictures from the BBC

Written By: Dagwood on 01/16/09 at 8:02 am

You know, I was thinking about how brilliant this pilot was! Surely, after just taking off, this plane had tanks FULL of gas! Of course he would try to land it in the water right? Make for an easier landing without a great big FIREBALL. I definitely want this guy and his crew flying my plane. ;)

I heard a report that said the full tanks is why it didn't sink as quickly.  I guess it made the play more buoyant.  The news here was talking about how common it is for planes to hit birds.  Usually the only problem comes when they are sucked into the engines.  I guess our airport has 80 incidents last year, most of them went unnoticed, it is only the ones that get sucked into the engines that caused planes to turn back.

That pilot rocks.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/17/09 at 2:46 am

Gotta really admire the pilot - he did everything straight from the textbook on this one.

There was a young woman from Perth on the flight who gave her mum here a big panic when she phoned (6.45am here) to say "I have been in a plane crash but I am ok - just wet and cold". Saw quite a few photos of her in the life raft next to the wing. One of our tv stations set up a satellite link to reunite her and her mum for a few minutes and it was very moving. She said that from lift off to "landing" there was only about 3 minutes that passed.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/09 at 6:40 am

There was an Australian singer who survived the plane crash and she's lucky,she could've perished in the sea.

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/09 at 1:18 pm

Gotta really admire the pilot - he did everything straight from the textbook on this one.

There was a young woman from Perth on the flight who gave her mum here a big panic when she phoned (6.45am here) to say "I have been in a plane crash but I am ok - just wet and cold". Saw quite a few photos of her in the life raft next to the wing. One of our tv stations set up a satellite link to reunite her and her mum for a few minutes and it was very moving. She said that from lift off to "landing" there was only about 3 minutes that passed.

some of my friends have become fans of the pilot on facebook  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/09 at 1:19 pm

There was an Australian singer who survived the plane crash and she's lucky,she could've perished in the sea.

as could anyone else who was on the plane.

Written By: Tia on 01/17/09 at 1:22 pm

way i see it, the geese decided to let us get away with a warning shot across the bow...

THIS time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/09 at 1:26 pm

I have just seen live tv coverage, the palne will be lifted very soon.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/17/09 at 4:14 pm

Operative word: raw chickens.  There really is a "chicken cannon", which is used to fire raw birds at aircraft during testing.  One of the most epic fails in the history of industrial testing came when someone forgot to thaw the chicken...

At another messageboard I belong to a friend has the sig line "Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into the air intake of a jet engine"

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr235/TommyymmoT/never-forget.jpg

Written By: Tia on 01/17/09 at 5:22 pm

haha i laughed at this hard enough to make me officially a bad person.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/17/09 at 6:12 pm

haha i laughed at this hard enough to make me officially a bad person.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/3589/goosefi8.jpg

"The plane lost power due to an encounter with geese on the wing."

Written By: Tia on 01/17/09 at 6:18 pm

"The plane lost power due to an encounter with geese on the wing."
you know pink floyd's kickin' themselves too.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/17/09 at 6:30 pm

We need improved security over geese - next thing you know Al-Qaida will be using them to take out aircraft. I can think of only one man qualified for the job:

http://majorlyenglish.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/fabiogoose.jpg

Homeland Security since 1999

signature banned as well

Written By: Red Ant on 01/17/09 at 6:36 pm

Operative word: raw chickens.  There really is a "chicken cannon", which is used to fire raw birds at aircraft during testing.  One of the most epic fails in the history of industrial testing came when someone forgot to thaw the chicken...

lol. Now all we need is the AFLAC goose photoshopped inside a jet engine...

"AFFLA...!!" {**SLURP-SPLAT***}

signature banned as well

Written By: Howard on 01/17/09 at 7:12 pm

*Moment Of Silence for The Geese*

Written By: Tia on 01/17/09 at 8:29 pm

*Moment Of Silence for The Geese*
howard you the man. seriously.  :)

has anyone said anything for the geese? it actually is bona fide sad. we kid but they meant no harm. they were just migratin' or whatever it is geese do.

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/17/09 at 8:39 pm

Those aren't canadian geese in your pic ::)  Flying are snow geese and the large one is a grey goose. 

:-\\

Just incase you were interested ???

:( :(

Yep I am a true ag geek ;)

;D

Written By: Howard on 01/18/09 at 6:59 am

howard you the man. seriously.  :)

has anyone said anything for the geese? it actually is bona fide sad. we kid but they meant no harm. they were just migratin' or whatever it is geese do.

How about for the pigeons and the seagulls too who are also getting killed and squashed.

Written By: Tia on 01/18/09 at 10:03 am

How about for the pigeons and the seagulls too who are also getting killed and squashed.
well, them i don't really care about :-[

Written By: danootaandme on 01/18/09 at 10:35 am

heartless

Written By: wildcard on 01/18/09 at 10:46 am

concerning chicken cannons, I remember watching this cartoon where the chickens were shot at the plane and came out as Happy Meals.

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/18/09 at 10:49 am

concerning chicken cannons, I remember watching this cartoon where the chickens were shot at the plane and came out as Happy Meals.
;D ;D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...