inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Circuit City - RIP

Written By: Mushroom on 01/16/09 at 11:18 pm

Well, it looks like this is the biggest closure of the current economic crisis.  We have already lost KB Toys and Mervyns, now Circuit City is going bye-bye.

This is a shame, but not unexpected.  With increasing pressure from competition like Best Buy and the Internet, it becomes a question of where can people buy things cheaper.  And it was inevitable that one of the major electronics chains would fail.

Hopefully this will make it easier for the remainders to make it through the rough time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vZSH5BfpAg

Subject: Re: Circuit City - RIP

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/16/09 at 11:37 pm

Even though I never really shopped there...I feel very awful for all of the employees that will be losing their jobs. :( :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/17/09 at 12:17 am

Even though I never really shopped there...I feel very awful for all of the employees that will be losing their jobs. :( :\'(

My gut reaction was, "Meh, who gives a rat's ass!"

But you're absolutely right, this means more displaced workers into a depressed economy.
:(

Written By: whistledog on 01/17/09 at 1:42 am

I wonder what this will mean for the ones here in Canada? 
A few years back, all Radio Shack stores in Canada were bought out by Circuit City and became 'The Source by Circuit City'.  I don't really shop there because everything is overpriced.  I'd most likely go to Best Buy or Future Shop

Written By: Davester on 01/17/09 at 2:21 am

That sucks, but I felt worse for Tower Records...

Circuit City was expensive and they messed-up my dash installing speakers...

Written By: joeman on 01/17/09 at 8:41 am

Surprised they haven't gone out of business sooner.  Down here they have been hanging by a thread for several years. 

Hollywood videos, which is suppose to be an alternative to Blockbuster, is apparently going under too.

Written By: Tia on 01/17/09 at 8:51 am

best buy kicked their ass. (although i'm not sure why, far as i could tell they were the exact same store.) i think the economy definitely played a role too, but the retail electronics market was totally saturated here.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/17/09 at 9:13 am

best buy kicked their ass. (although i'm not sure why, far as i could tell they were the exact same store.) i think the economy definitely played a role too, but the retail electronics market was totally saturated here.

CC has always been more expensive then BB.  They made a business model in the late 1980's that catered to the Yuppies, and were never really able to leave it behind.

I remember looking through the stores years ago, and finding things 5-10% more then competing stores.  I largely stopped going there, other then looking for some hard to find DVDs, or the occasional piece of electronics that I may not be able to find elsewhere.

When I was shopping for my XM Radio, I bought it from CC because the portable speakers they offered were better then those at BB.  And when I looked for a new laptop last week, I got one at Sam's Club that was better and cheaper then anything any of the electronics stores offered.

Hollywood videos, which is suppose to be an alternative to Blockbuster, is apparently going under too.

Well, Hollywood Video was bought out by Movie Gallery several years ago.  And ever since that buyout happened, MG has been under increasing debt.  Many think that the purchase may be what eventually drives Movie Gallery out of business.  They were so obsessed with being "The Biggest" (At least for a while their stores outnumbered Blockbuster).  And now they are paying the price.

But you're absolutely right, this means more displaced workers into a depressed economy.

But things like this happen every few years.  True it is sad, but it can't be avoided.

About 8 years ago we had the "Dot Com Crash".  Companies were dropping like flies, mostly because there was simply not enough business to support all of the companies.  After all, how many on-line stores do you need selling pet food?  Or toys?  Or discount electronics.

The same thing is happening now, but on a larger scale.  I lost my job in 2001 through similar means (How many companies were really needed to build communication satellites?)

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/17/09 at 10:45 am

Yeah this sux, especially right after Woolie's going under.  :-\\    And Electric Avenue went down with Monkey Wards a few years ago too.

But CC was way too expensive.  I was looking for a Bluetooth mouse and CC had the one I wanted for $49.99.  I went across the street to Wally Mart and they had it for $34.99.

SO as is my custom I checked on eBay and picked one up for $24.99, shipping included and no taxes.  ;)

Now we have Burst Buy and have to put up with those commisionned sales twits who descend upon you as soon as you walk in the door, asking "can I help you?".

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/17/09 at 10:59 am

The Circuit City that are in my area are dead.

another underground job for Best Buy and Wal-Mart, fudge those places!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/17/09 at 11:05 am

That's too bad.  I bought my floor model computer there a couple years ago.  Believe it or not, it was the cheapest I could find in my local area (barring e-bay), but I rarely went to the store anyway.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/17/09 at 2:08 pm

The Source, here in Canada, could go next.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/17/09 at 6:21 pm

I just got back from the local Circuit City where they were having their gigantic clearance sale.

Geeze, no wonder these guys went out of business.  Even with the "reduced prices", the prices still sucked compared to Wally World or eBay vendors.  I feel bad for the employees though.  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/17/09 at 6:46 pm

But things like this happen every few years.  True it is sad, but it can't be avoided.

I wasn't saying it could be avoided; I was just saying it sucks.

Then again, I didn't shop there.  I bought stuff at Best Buy and places with better prices.  That's the free market.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/17/09 at 9:11 pm

I shopped there quite a bit along with Best Buy. They already closed all the Circuit Cities right near me, there's one about 20 miles away that was left that I drove out to a few times after the others shut down. I knew the inevitable was coming, they were just too much in the hole to keep operating. Even though Best Buy has everything I need, I'm definitely going to miss having another alternative.

Check for new replies or respond here...