inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most loved presidents in our history! (There are only 44!)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/09 at 5:39 pm

I pick Abraham Lincoln

Subject: Re: Most loved presidents in our history! (There are only 44!)

Written By: star500 on 01/20/09 at 6:14 pm

He just became President but I say Barack Obama followed in a very close second by JFK (and I'm Canadian! ;))

Written By: danootaandme on 01/21/09 at 7:22 am

If Barak keeps up his momentum he will take it.  I love Lincoln, but there are segments of this country who are still fighting that war and still deny his genius.

and, there are actually only 43.  Grover Cleveland is counted twice because he was voted in, voted out, then voted in again.  There is a presidency to be looked at....  Very Interesting....draft dodging, anti labor, near pedophile that he was.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/21/09 at 9:54 am

If Barak keeps up his momentum he will take it.  I love Lincoln, but there are segments of this country who are still fighting that war and still deny his genius.

and, there are actually only 43.  Grover Cleveland is counted twice because he was voted in, voted out, then voted in again.  There is a presidency to be looked at....  Very Interesting....draft dodging, anti labor, near pedophile that he was.

Hmm, I know people who don't like Barrack! Some people don't like him because they plain just don't know him.

And about Abraham? He's probably one of the most remembered even if he isn't loved by everone. Andrew Johnson, who went after him, had trouble getting out of Lincoln's shadow. But Andrew Johnson didn't seem to run the country at all! He just wanted to be stubborn and be a grumpy man. Lol.  :P

Written By: gmann on 01/23/09 at 6:09 pm

Millard Fillmore is better than all of 'em. I know what you're thinking: "who?" As Casey Stengel once said, "you can look it up."

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/23/09 at 6:12 pm

Lincoln. 

And I'm gonna agree with Danoota and say that Obama is coming close.  I know that I love him. 

Written By: danootaandme on 01/24/09 at 12:12 pm

Millard Fillmore is better than all of 'em. I know what you're thinking: "who?" As Casey Stengel once said, "you can look it up."

Fillmore?  He ranks right down there with Franklin Pierce.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/24/09 at 5:12 pm

I think that Bill Clinton could possibly be the most loved president of all time.

Of course, that depends on what your definition of the word "loved" is.  ;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/24/09 at 5:21 pm

Lincoln, Obama, Kennedy, Jefferson.  Oh yeah and one of my personal favorites James Buchanan.

Written By: Zeb on 01/26/09 at 11:33 am

JFK
TR
Woodrow Wilson- very underrated 

At least those are the ones I like the most. We must take into account that many of the former Presidents who we honor (or "love" as you put it) today were not so exalted during their times in office. 

Written By: Tam on 01/26/09 at 11:38 am

Clinton - because I don't know much about the past ones except for the scandals.

I think Obama is awesome, but I am holding out to see what he does. I can't judge off of a week of Presidency. 8)

Written By: gmann on 02/03/09 at 4:29 pm

Fillmore?  He ranks right down there with Franklin Pierce.

Ah, c'mon. Fillmore didn't get lead us into a war. Isn't that good enough? It's more than we can say about Buchanan.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/03/09 at 4:34 pm

Ah, c'mon. Fillmore didn't get lead us into a war. Isn't that good enough? It's more than we can say about Buchanan.

Fillmore singlehandedly killed the Whig Party if I understand history right... :D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/03/09 at 9:49 pm

Fillmore singlehandedly killed the Whig Party if I understand history right... :D

Him and John Quincy Adams.  Adams started finishing them off Filmore dealt the final blow.

Written By: midnite on 02/03/09 at 10:52 pm

In addition to the ususal Presidential greats, an overlooked one is James Polk.  He served from 1845 -1849 and in that short time doubled the size of the US through Manifest Destiny.  During this time the US added on Texas through California and up through Washington State.  Very nice additions!

Written By: EthanM on 02/03/09 at 11:01 pm

Ah, yes, manifest destiny. Imperialism never got us into any sort of trouble, right?

As for the question - Washington in a landslide. 

Written By: danootaandme on 02/04/09 at 5:45 am

In addition to the ususal Presidential greats, an overlooked one is James Polk.  He served from 1845 -1849 and in that short time doubled the size of the US through Manifest Destiny.  During this time the US added on Texas through California and up through Washington State.   Very nice additions!

Manifest Destiny....eeewwwww.  8-P

Him and John Quincy Adams.  Adams started finishing them off Filmore dealt the final blow.

JQA!  I can't agree with everything he did, but I sure do love that man.  His father and him were the polar opposite of the other Presidential father/son team. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/04/09 at 6:29 am

Manifest Destiny....eeewwwww.   8-P

JQA!  I can't agree with everything he did, but I sure do love that man.  His father and him were the polar opposite of the other Presidential father/son team. 

John Quincy had his own ideals about politics that were fundamentally good.  Had he been able to have less of a constant uphill battle he would have done OK.  As for the polar opposite of his Dad, I don't think J.Q. had the mindset to be a "founding Father."

Manifest Destiny is nothing but pure arrogance and Imperialism.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/04/09 at 6:48 am

John Quincy had his own ideals about politics that were fundamentally good.  Had he been able to have less of a constant uphill battle he would have done OK.  As for the polar opposite of his Dad, I don't think J.Q. had the mindset to be a "founding Father."

Not the opposite of his dad, the Adams/Adams were polar opposites to Bush/Bush.  I think JQA would have made a wonderful Founding Father. The whole family was interesting....weird, but interesting, in a good way.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/04/09 at 11:48 am

Not the opposite of his dad, the Adams/Adams were polar opposites to Bush/Bush.  I think JQA would have made a wonderful Founding Father. The whole family was interesting....weird, but interesting, in a good way.

He (JQ) did say that he could never do what his Dad did.  Yes, the Adams guys were polar opposites to the Bush's.  The Bush's think they're God sent and have no or very little ethics. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/04/09 at 1:28 pm

Manifest Destiny is nothing but pure arrogance and Imperialism.

That was all Polk, he stretched the nation from coast to coast with the Mexican war and the Oregon purchase...I did a report on him in elementary school, he actually kept THAT campaign promise!  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/04/09 at 1:39 pm

William Henry Harrison. He was only in the presidency for 1 month which didn't give him enough time to screw anything up.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/05/09 at 1:53 pm

It should be 43.

Most loved...IMO...Washington and Lincoln.

Least loved...IMO...Nixon and Bush II.

BTW-Can we move this post to its appropriate home?

Written By: ninny on 02/06/09 at 2:51 pm

Lets go with Lincoln,JFK and we'll wait a few years to put Obama in this category
The worst..A. Johnson..Grant...Bush II

My sister is such a big fan of Lincolns that we drove from NY to Springfield,ILL just to see the museum.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/06/09 at 7:36 pm

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Lyndon Johnson as one of the least loved presidents.

There was a whole generation of hippies who hated on that mofo in the 1960's.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/06/09 at 9:14 pm

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Lyndon Johnson as one of the least loved presidents.

There was a whole generation of hippies who hated on that mofo in the 1960's.

Hey hey LBJ how many men have you killed today?  Yep, people hated LBJ.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/07/09 at 6:21 am

Hey hey LBJ how many men have you killed today?  Yep, people hated LBJ.

Not everyone hated him.  He passed The Civil Rights Act of 1964, The Voters Rights Act of 1965, and the appointment of Thurgood Marshall.  He worked his whole career as a champion of the underclasses, and is considered one of very important figures in the of the civil rights movement, meaning rights not just for minorities, but the rights of the poor.  Of course there are many who hated him for all that, too.

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/07/09 at 6:49 am

Not everyone hated him.  He passed The Civil Rights Act of 1964, The Voters Rights Act of 1965, and the appointment of Thurgood Marshall.  He worked his whole career as a champion of the underclasses, and is considered one of very important figures in the of the civil rights movement, meaning rights not just for minorities, but the rights of the poor.  Of course there are many who hated him for all that, too.

I forgot about LBJ....But still, many people dislike Nixon and Bush more than LBJ, even Carter is disliked more than LBJ.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/07/09 at 8:46 am

By passing the Civil Rights Act he lost the democrats the south for almost two generations.  Appointing Thurgood Marshall didn't help him get support in the south either.  Yes, my Aunt talks about how she likes the stance he took with the "Great Society".  L.B.J. was in fact surprisingly progressive for the 60's especially since he was from Texas.  Perhaps one of his main faults is that he was a hawk.  However I think the Vietnam conflict would have escalated even if Kennedy was still alive.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/07/09 at 8:49 am

I forgot about LBJ....But still, many people dislike Nixon and Bush more than LBJ, even Carter is disliked more than LBJ.

Nixon was an S.O.B. and my third cousin. :-[  Carter may have done some things that were unwise however he is not an underhanded tyrant.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/08/09 at 6:17 am

Nixon was an S.O.B. and my third cousin. :-NO SH*T!  WOW    How?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/08/09 at 10:31 am

NO SH*T!  WOW    How?

Thank you so much for you heartfelt reaction to the rotting decaying vile members of my diverse family tree.  I think Carter could have been a bit more careful when dealing with the middle east to have sealed up any cracks that future administrations would exploit.  Had Carter been able to fully applied his diplomatic skills the middle east could be in better shape.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/08/09 at 1:52 pm

Thank you so much for you heartfelt reaction to the rotting decaying vile members of my diverse family tree.  I think Carter could have been a bit more careful when dealing with the middle east to have sealed up any cracks that future administrations would exploit.  Had Carter been able to fully applied his diplomatic skills the middle east could be in better shape.

Actually I was wondering how you are related to Nixon.  I am a fan of Jimmy Carter and agree with what you say there.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/08/09 at 2:49 pm

Actually I was wondering how you are related to Nixon.  I am a fan of Jimmy Carter and agree with what you say there.

It's through Eisenhower.  Eisenhower's mother and my Paternal grandmother's family are related.  Jimmy Carter could have been a better president if people would have listened to him.

Written By: gmann on 02/08/09 at 8:04 pm

It's through Eisenhower.  Eisenhower's mother and my Paternal grandmother's family are related.  Jimmy Carter could have been a better president if people would have listened to him.

If Carter wasn't seen at the time as being indecisive, or at least slow to act on a number of domestic and international crises, the '80 election might have been a much jollier affair for him. Unfortunately for him, Iran, the U.S. economy and the energy crisis were a triple whammy that ultimately proved fatal for his approval ratings. Granted, none of these things were entirely his fault, but everybody takes shots at the guy in charge when the news turns bad. We've seen it before, and we'll see it again.

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/10/09 at 11:30 am

If Carter wasn't seen at the time as being indecisive, or at least slow to act on a number of domestic and international crises, the '80 election might have been a much jollier affair for him. Unfortunately for him, Iran, the U.S. economy and the energy crisis were a triple whammy that ultimately proved fatal for his approval ratings. Granted, none of these things were entirely his fault, but everybody takes shots at the guy in charge when the news turns bad. We've seen it before, and we'll see it again.

Carter is my least fav because he didn't resolve the Iranian Crisis in 1979, helped Bin Laden with Afghanistan in 1980, and stayed away from Russia rather than negotiate with them like he did with Egypt and Israel.

Can we move this to the Politics/Religious thread? :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...