inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Go Joe?

Written By: snozberries on 02/01/09 at 10:09 pm

I don't know... if someone already started this topic then I missed it...

GI JOE: The Rise of Cobra (Summer 2009)

I was checking the cast... and I would feel better about this if it was cast completely with unknowns...

Dennis Quaid ... General Hawk

Channing Tatum ... Duke

Marlon Wayans ... Ripcord

Sienna Miller ... The Baroness

Joseph Gordon-Levitt ... Cobra Commander

Saïd Taghmaoui ... Breaker

Christopher Eccleston ... Destro

Subject: Re: Go Joe?

Written By: whistledog on 02/01/09 at 10:45 pm

Some of those are unknowns, or atleast I've never heard of them LOL

Joseph Gordon-Levitt played Tommy on '3rd Rock From the Sun'.  Those who remember that show, like me, might find it hard to see him as the Cobra Commander, but you never know

I've been anxiously awaiting for a GI Joe movie for years

Written By: snozberries on 02/01/09 at 11:15 pm

Some of those are unknowns, or atleast I've never heard of them LOL

Joseph Gordon-Levitt played Tommy on '3rd Rock From the Sun'.  Those who remember that show, like me, might find it hard to see him as the Cobra Commander, but you never know

I've been anxiously awaiting for a GI Joe movie for years

that last two are unknowns... well unknown to me

Dennis Quaid is known...
Marlon Wayans... I can't remember is it Marlon Shawn whose the cute wayans brother? I think it's shawn...
Channing Tatum was in  Havoc, coach carter and Step Up2 and Stop Loss..... actually he might be okay....

yeah Joseph Gordon Levitt as Cobra Commander leaves me scratching my head.

Written By: Davester on 02/01/09 at 11:24 pm

Dennis Quaid is known...
Marlon Wayans... I can't remember is it Marlon Shawn whose the cute wayans brother? I think it's shawn...
Channing Tatum was in  Havoc, coach carter and Step Up2 and Stop Loss..... actually he might be okay....

yeah Joseph Gordon Levitt as Cobra Commander leaves me scratching my head.

You're familiar with the GI Joe characters.  A fan of the cartoon perhaps..?

I never followed this one...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/02/09 at 12:01 am

As we all know, "Knowing is half the battle"  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/02/09 at 2:50 am

You're familiar with the GI Joe characters.  A fan of the cartoon perhaps..?

I never followed this one...

When I worked the graveyard shift at toys r us I used to get home in time for the early morning cartoons.  I was a freak for Jem but gi joe came on first so I developed an appreciation for it!

Yes, yes it is!  ;D

Written By: karen on 02/02/09 at 7:39 am

Christopher Eccelston played Dr Who when the BBC series was revived in 2005

Written By: Tia on 02/02/09 at 8:18 am

hey all right! another tired two-decade old property dusted off, polished and resold as though brand new!

doesn't hollywood actually get screenplays in the mail anymore? or have they given up on that? it's sad to consider all the great new movies going unmade so they can continally retread exhausted, worn-out old stories.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/02/09 at 11:07 am

hey all right! another tired two-decade old property dusted off, polished and resold as though brand new!

doesn't hollywood actually get screenplays in the mail anymore? or have they given up on that? it's sad to consider all the great new movies going unmade so they can continally retread exhausted, worn-out old stories.

We should write a screenplay, then take the millions and live off the interest.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/02/09 at 11:34 am

I'm in.  It could be about the intertwining lives of ass kickers on a message board.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/02/09 at 11:35 am

I'm in.  It could be about the intertwining lives of ass kickers on a message board.

Hmmm...that might not have been done yet!

Written By: Tam on 02/02/09 at 11:50 am

The trailer was shown during the SuperBowl Commercials last night.
It looks AMAZING!!!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=52443

ETA: Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje played Mr. Eko on Lost and Adebisi on Oz.

Written By: Kryllith on 02/02/09 at 12:06 pm

Assuming Cobra Commander wears the face plate the entire time, the casting choice might not be a problem. On a positive note, Ray Park is playing Snake Eyes.

Written By: robby76 on 02/02/09 at 9:53 pm

Yooo Joe!

I was all over the GI Joe bandwagon in the 80s. Once again though I shall reserve judgement as more often than not, these are let downs in some way. It's already looking way too futuristic than what it was.  :-\\ Then again they're probably not after the 30-somethings.  >:(

Written By: snozberries on 02/02/09 at 9:55 pm

Yooo Joe!

I was all over the GI Joe bandwagon in the 80s. Once again though I shall reserve judgement as more often than not, these are let downs in some way. It's already looking way too futuristic than what it was.  :-\\ Then again they're probably not after the 30-somethings.  >:(

if I don't get one scene with cheesy red and blue laser flying back and forth I am walking out  ;)

Written By: robby76 on 02/02/09 at 10:04 pm

if I don't get one scene with cheesy red and blue laser flying back and forth I am walking out  ;)

Haha!

I also hope all Cobra troops manage to parachute out safely! God forbid anyone should lose a life.  ;D

I also pray we never hear the cries of "Cobra-la-la-la-la-la"! Oy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKaJqm_ovPY

Written By: snozberries on 02/02/09 at 10:05 pm

Haha!

I also hope all Cobra troops manage to parachute out safely! God forbid anyone should loose a life.  ;D

I also pray we never hear the cries of "Cobra-la-la-la-la-la"! Oy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKaJqm_ovPY

;D  but they have tooo..its classic!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/02/09 at 10:07 pm

You ever noticed how they have all that fancy training and weaponry, and yet nobody ever scored a hit?  It was kind of the same thing with Transformers and the A-Team :P

Written By: snozberries on 02/02/09 at 10:08 pm

You ever noticed how they have all that fancy training and weaponry, and yet nobody ever scored a hit?  It was kind of the same thing with Transformers and the A-Team :P

I did notice that  ;D 

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/02/09 at 10:40 pm

And every time an aircraft blew up, they always showed parachutes.  The villians of the '80s had it soft.  Back in the day, Wile E. Coyote would fall off the cliff and if he was lucky enough to have a parachut at all, it turned into an anvil

(Uphill, both ways, don't believe me, onion, belt, style for the time, lawn, off, git!)

Written By: whistledog on 02/03/09 at 1:59 am

Christopher Eccelston played Dr Who when the BBC series was revived in 2005

I knew that.  I best know him as Raymond in 'Gone in 60 Seconds'.  He makes a great villain

Written By: 80sfan on 02/03/09 at 5:53 pm

This movie is going to suck!  ::)

It's going to be another 11 year until another good movie come out! Lol

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/03/09 at 10:01 pm

Is GI Joe here?

All I see is Joe the Plumber!
::)

Written By: snozberries on 02/03/09 at 10:27 pm

Is GI Joe here?

All I see is Joe the Plumber!
::)

sorry max no plumbers here....just GIs and snakes!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/07/09 at 11:25 pm

I might be going to see the movie, when it comes out.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/08/09 at 1:11 am

Who's gonna play this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atXIKI2XHj4

Written By: snozberries on 02/08/09 at 10:34 am

Who's gonna play this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atXIKI2XHj4

Holy Crap!!!! That was effing HILARIOUS!!!!  karma ~

Written By: Satish on 02/17/09 at 10:39 am

Good one!  ;D ;D ;D

I remember enjoying the old G.I. Joe cartoon and toys from back in the 80s. A story about a military unit trying to combat an evil, international terrorist organization is kind of appropriate right now, considering how we've had to deal with terrorism over the past decade.

A little while ago, I tried making a comparison between the old G.I. Joe cartoon and the current War on Terror. I saw Al-Qaeda as Cobra and Osama bin Laden as Cobra Commander. Ayman al-Zawahiri(the second-in-command of Al-Qaeda) was Destro. Maybe Mullah Mohammed Omar(the leader of the Taliban) could be Zartan. And the US government would be G.I. Joe, with George W. Bush as General Hawk. Condoleeza Rice could be Lady Jaye, I guess.

My brother didn't like the idea when I told it to him, though. It would mean that the US government were the good guys, which my brother was against, since he hates the Bush Administration!

Looking at it myself now, I don't care too much for it, either. It's a total insult to General Hawk to compare him in any way to a moron like Dubya!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...