inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Michael Phelps photographed smoking marijuana

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/02/09 at 11:16 am

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/01/michael.phelps.marijuana/index.html

Our local talk radio host keeps saying "Aren't there any heroes anymore?"  "Where are the heroes?"

What the hell?

IMO, the biggest mistake is making him a hero in the first place.  Is he an incredible swimmer?  Yes.  Is his medal win awesome?  Yes.  Is he also a human being who is capable of free will?  Yep.

The radio guy also said "where much is given, much is expected."  I think that's crap.  He earned his medals.  Any endorsements he's gotten have earned the sponsors plenty of money.  He has taken full responsibility for his actions...what more do people want?

I just think people are making way to big a deal out of this. 

Subject: Re: Michael Phelps photographed smoking marijuana

Written By: Tia on 02/02/09 at 11:19 am

no surprise here: that he tokes up makes  him MORE of a hero in my book. i'm just sorry he apologized for it, although i guess with the politics of his situation he had to. i would have loved him to say, you're damn tootin' i sat back and toked a couple. i just spent years of my life immersed in grueling athletic training culminating in arguably the biggest personal achievement in sports history. in short... IT IS MILLER TIME BITCHES, and if you don't like it we'll just skip you next time we pass the spliff around.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/02/09 at 11:31 am

no surprise here: that he tokes up makes  him MORE of a hero in my book. i'm just sorry he apologized for it, although i guess with the politics of his situation he had to. i would have loved him to say, you're damn tootin' i sat back and toked a couple. i just spent years of my life immersed in grueling athletic training culminating in arguably the biggest personal achievement in sports history. in short... IT IS MILLER TIME BITCHES, and if you don't like it we'll just skip you next time we pass the spliff around.

LMAO.  HELL YEAH!  I'd sit in that circle.

Written By: Jessica on 02/02/09 at 11:40 am

If I could brown bag his face, I'd totally party with Michael Phelps.

And he shouldn't have apologized.  Big f*cking deal, he's a pothead.  At least he's not in the steroid camp, like so many other "hero athletes".

Written By: 80sfan on 02/02/09 at 11:54 am

Don't care for the marijuana. I think he's just being a typical experimental youth!  :-X

Written By: ninny on 02/02/09 at 12:20 pm

This is no big deal,why do people think he is going to be a saint he was arrested 4 years ago for DUI.  This goes to show that all the practices and meets he needs to have time to let lose.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/02/09 at 1:57 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpBzQI_7ez8&feature=related

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 02/02/09 at 2:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpBzQI_7ez8&feature=related

Cat

The YouTube commentors amuse the hell out of me.

Written By: snozberries on 02/02/09 at 2:32 pm

15 x 8 = 120 minutes....

yeah he outlasted his fifteen 120 minutes of fame long before he 'hosted' SNL.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/02/09 at 2:38 pm

McLovin!

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/02/09 at 7:36 pm

The picture I saw, it looked like he was gonna suck his whole face into that bong.  ;D  Must have been some fine herb he was smokin' there.  8)

If I were him I'd be saying "fork off you mowfows.  I got my 8 medals and there ain't nothin you can do about it.  Now get out of my face, I got another bowl to light up."  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/02/09 at 8:30 pm

Oh noes!  What about the the corruptible youth!
:o

I suppose it's not great for an athlete's respiratory system.  On the other hand, I know a guy who still runs triathlons at the age of 55 and he smokes weed every single day!  Depends on the individual, really.

Written By: snozberries on 02/08/09 at 2:31 pm

Okay so this was just about the only thing funny on SNL last night
http://www.hulu.com/watch/56636/saturday-night-live-really-michael-phelps

Written By: Marian on 02/08/09 at 2:48 pm

If I could brown bag his face, I'd totally party with Michael Phelps.

And he shouldn't have apologized.  Big f*cking deal, he's a pothead.  At least he's not in the steroid camp, like so many other "hero athletes".
I agree.anyway,a lot of people know he has ADD--i think that might make him more likely to take someting to make him relax,don't you think.i don't think pot causes superhuman strength.if you want an expert opinion,why hasnt anyone asked Montel Williams or Art garfunkel?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/09/09 at 12:38 am

The picture I saw, it looked like he was gonna suck his whole face into that bong.   ;D  Must have been some fine herb he was smokin' there.   8)

If I were him I'd be saying "fork off you mowfows.  I got my 8 medals and there ain't nothin you can do about it.  Now get out of my face, I got another bowl to light up."  ;D

A bong is sorta like swimmin' ain't it?  It involves water, breath control, and endurance...

8)

Written By: philbo on 02/09/09 at 6:56 am

You might like this then: http://www.reason.com/news/show/131438.html

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/09 at 1:05 pm

The swimmer who weed?

Check for new replies or respond here...