inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Michael Phelps to be Arrested?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/03/09 at 8:07 pm

http://www.thestate.com/154/story/672148.html

Subject: Re: Michael Phelps to be Arrested?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/03/09 at 10:16 pm

Sheriff, you have a photo of the man appearing to inhale from a smoke delivery device commonly known as a bong.  We can reasonably conclude Mr. Phelps was smoking marijuana but...I mean come on...that's a pretty lame case, isn't it?  What are you trying to do?  Are you trying to prove a stereotype about South'n sherfs?

::)

Incidentally, I would never let somebody photograph me smoking a bong.  I mean, hypothetically, if I were to smoke a bong, you know...
;)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/03/09 at 10:20 pm

Sheriff, you have a photo of the man appearing to inhale from a smoke delivery device commonly known as a bong.  We can reasonably conclude Mr. Phelps was smoking marijuana but...I mean come on...that's a pretty lame case, isn't it?  What are you trying to do?

Well to be fair, Phelps did pretty much already admit it.  And he may have witnesses or something.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/03/09 at 10:27 pm

Well to be fair, Phelps did pretty much already admit it.  And he may have witnesses or something.

Is this what the citizens of Richland County want their law enforcement expended on?  For all you anti-pot fascists out there, busting Phelps for taking a bong hit is only going to help the pro-legalization cause.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/04/09 at 6:17 am

WHO CARES

Written By: Marian on 02/04/09 at 1:57 pm

Sheriff, you have a photo of the man appearing to inhale from a smoke delivery device commonly known as a bong.  We can reasonably conclude Mr. Phelps was smoking marijuana but...I mean come on...that's a pretty lame case, isn't it?  What are you trying to do?  Are you trying to prove a stereotype about South'n sherfs?

Incidentally, I would never let somebody photograph me smoking a bong.  I mean, hypothetically, if I were to smoke a bong, you know...
;)
How can they prove how long ago it was taken?There are s tatutes of linitations,you know!

Written By: thewolrab on 02/04/09 at 3:37 pm

I guess they really have nothing better to do... wow. Bustin' pot smokers, and it's not like they even caught him, it's just a picture. As far as I'm aware, they can't do sheesh unless they actually catch him in the act.

I hate to rain on Richland County's parade, but I JUST DID.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/04/09 at 6:03 pm

Is this the pic everyone is buzzing about?:

http://www.metro.us/metroimages/16632.jpg

All I see is a guy holding a bong to his face - no smoke, no lighter - no crime. Then again, if he was doing meth out of it, I'm sure he cop to smoking pot just to get off easy.

Dumb all around. Sorry, but the cops need evidence to prove their case. Even if they got a bong with his prints on it and residue, there's no way to prove it was paraphenalia when Phelps held it. That picture isn't worth s*** legal-wise, except maybe a warrant to piss-test Phelps, which is still mostly useless.

signature banned as well

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/04/09 at 7:27 pm

This whole thing has gotten WAYYY out of hand.  I read today where the IOC wants to talk with him and to "counsel" him about his bongage.

He should tell them to go pack sand.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/04/09 at 9:10 pm

Is this the pic everyone is buzzing about?:

http://www.metro.us/metroimages/16632.jpg

All I see is a guy holding a bong to his face - no smoke, no lighter - no crime. Then again, if he was doing meth out of it, I'm sure he cop to smoking pot just to get off easy.

Dumb all around. Sorry, but the cops need evidence to prove their case. Even if they got a bong with his prints on it and residue, there's no way to prove it was paraphenalia when Phelps held it. That picture isn't worth s*** legal-wise, except maybe a warrant to piss-test Phelps, which is still mostly useless.

signature banned as well

Not to mention, Phelps isn't just some poor hick.  He can afford a good lawyer, and that's all the county needs to get them drop a lame-o case!
:P

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/04/09 at 10:33 pm

This whole thing has gotten WAYYY out of hand.  I read today where the IOC wants to talk with him and to "counsel" him about his bongage.

He should tell them to go pack sand.

A relevant editorial: What Michael Phelps Should Have Said.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/04/09 at 10:42 pm

A relevant editorial: What Michael Phelps Should Have Said.

Foo, if I didn't know any better, I'd have sworn you wrote that article. It's a little less technical than you tend to be, but karma for linking it anyway. 100% OTM.

signature banned as well

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/04/09 at 10:58 pm

Foo, if I didn't know any better, I'd have sworn you wrote that article. It's a little less technical than you tend to be, but karma for linking it anyway. 100% OTM.

I actually thought for a moment about how awesome it would be if he'd held a press conference to say that he smoked, that it was something adults should be able to do, and... well, I couldn't come up with anything really good that night, so I let it slide.

But I know a good rant when I read one, and I was grateful to come across a rant that far exceeded anything I could have come up with, even on a good night.  That rant was a delicious balance of facts, spiced with just a little invective, and kept at a simmering rage for a whole afternoon.  Unlike revenge, a rant is a dish best served hot.

Written By: philbo on 02/05/09 at 8:03 am

Brilliant article, Foo (or should that be Mr Bar?), thanks for pointing that one out.

Put almost as much of a smile on my face as Obama's response to the "did you inhale?" question.

There was an interesting program on cannabis this week (on the BBC - unfortunately the Beeb don't seem to want to let furriners in on the iplayer) that really tried hard to be as unprejudiced as possible, while reporting on some of the research currently being done. The real shame is that it's taken such a long time for a lot of this research even to get started, and it would be illegal if being carried out here.

Check for new replies or respond here...